Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
 Super Tune Your Super Vee 27 >

Super Tune Your Super Vee 27

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Super Tune Your Super Vee 27

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Tune Your Super Vee 27

Let's just say I'm glad my camera is broken. I don't want to have to post pics of the carnage concured on the last run. On the bright side, my blue spare SV, like yours, has the base coat of white drying on it as we speak. Gotta love the "scratch & dent" sales. Anyway, I'll be up again by next weekend with a pair of matching boats....SV and a Mean Machine cat along with a spare SV power train for my 24" P & I Racing Hydro that is currently in production. Life will be good again soon.

edit: I haven't heard any of you guys mention to WIPE the shaft down at the end of the day upon removal to dry it and remove any residual gunk from it. After I do that, I just lay it inside the hull with the hatch off during the week to dry out everything. Don't forget to pop the latches on the radio box to dry out any condensation that may form also. also use the 3 in 1, like the roos, but on the front and rear motor bearings and all the rudder pivot point.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:15 PM

Ode to Mean Green and OC. What's next? Snow White! haha.

I don't think the past colors agree with you. Hopefully Deep Purple and White will.

Ode to MG and OC. Rest their hulls.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:21 PM

Nice recovery boat Dfree....Scoots along good. I havent figuered out how ima get my boat if it goes nose up....
Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 PM

Seal it good and that's a "non-issue" unless you compromise the hull.....
Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM

Do you have any closeup shots of the rescue rig? Is the pvc attached to the boat? I want to try that but need more info.

Thanks!

Ben
Old 04-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Funny this shaft stuff came up I have my motor out right now and the shaft is still in the boat (freshly greased). I was shocked by how hard it was to turn it. I don't think it unusual. After I thought about it there is alot of surface area on it, and based on what you guys are saying I'm certain I over greased it. It may be a good excercise to overgrease insert turn, remove wipe down and re-insert to gauge the increased resistance. Add variation like the 3in1 one method as desired. I might do this while the motor is out. I'll post if anything significant is discovered.

OC you have made me realize that everything about these boats is temporary. Blackjack's saying that the teflon in the tube should last a couple of seasons - How many boat have you gone through in that time?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 PM

Haha! You funny guy!! I have never worn out a teflon sleeve. Thank goodness I have an overstock of "4Q" stickers, huh!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:41 PM

OC did you hit something or someone hit you?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:44 PM

Dubble post it did not go throw at first.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:19 AM

OC said:
Haha! You funny guy!! I have never worn out a teflon sleeve. Thank goodness I have an overstock of "4Q" stickers, huh!
Yea man. Sorry I had to take the shot. I would have expected nothing less had the rolls been reversed. Don't make me go and make the "4Q2" stickers.

See my suggestion in post 2323 for an experiment regarding the resistance to turn the shaft absent the motor (shaft vs. stuffing tube) to determine what conditions produce lower rotational resistance. First I greased the heck out of it put it in and tried to turn it. Then I removed it and wiped it down re-inserted it and turned it again - repeat. Each time the flex shaft was removed it pulled more grease out of the tube. I'd say it was steady state after 3 or 4 cycles (it didn't feel any easier after that). Then I put a light coating of "Grim grease" on the flexible portion of the shaft, inserted it up to the solid part, smeared 3in1 on that and then pushed it the rest of the way in. This condition produced the lowest rotational resistance, and it was significant. Because of the way the brushless motors dont turn smooth, you'd never notice this w/o removing the motor. I'd be very surprised if this process doesn't buy an otherwise dialed in boat a MPH or more if the stuffing tube is over packed. This also drives home how much a damages stuffing tube would effect performance. I think the moral of the story is grease often and conservatively.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:36 AM

I launched my SV last Saturday evening after having tested my cat earlier that morning. When I took off, it was pulling ever so slightly to the right. I stopped and looked down at my Spektrum to adjust the steering trim a bit and noticed I was running on the cat settings. Without even thinking, I switched models on my Spektrum radio while the SV was "live" in the middle of the lake. It was shortly there after that the boat returned to shore.... Funny thing is that I hadn't asked it to. So much for Spektrum and fail safes. I don't blame the radio. It was totally my fault, but I did think, and have tested on many occasions that the model will shut down if communication is lost. I never tested what would happen if I switched models though. Oh well, OC has served me well and has taken a beating over the last couple of months heat racing in our club. The hull is repairable, but I have a new one that I am painting that will be alot less work right now to get on the water.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:38 AM

"Don't make me go and make the "4Q2" stickers."

That's a good one! You mine as well keep the presses running the way I go through SV hulls! I'm on my third now.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:43 AM

Benmat:

Check it out...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92047.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	657440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24578.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	657441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78954.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	657442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79441.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	657443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82974.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	657444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du20181.jpg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	657445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wy48486.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	657446  
Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: benmat

Do you have any closeup shots of the rescue rig? Is the pvc attached to the boat? I want to try that but need more info.

Thanks!

Ben
I guess I need to drop off the rescue boat(s) at your house so you can get started. Hey, you could extend to piping beyond the transon to carry bouys, too.....
Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 AM
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: Dfreels

Benmat:

Check it out...
I saw the video on youtube, it works nice.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Orange Crush

I launched my SV last Saturday evening after having tested my cat earlier that morning. When I took off, it was pulling ever so slightly to the right. I stopped and looked down at my Spektrum to adjust the steering trim a bit and noticed I was running on the cat settings. Without even thinking, I switched models on my Spektrum radio while the SV was "live" in the middle of the lake. It was shortly there after that the boat returned to shore.... Funny thing is that I hadn't asked it to. So much for Spektrum and fail safes. I don't blame the radio. It was totally my fault, but I did think, and have tested on many occasions that the model will shut down if communication is lost. I never tested what would happen if I switched models though. Oh well, OC has served me well and has taken a beating over the last couple of months heat racing in our club. The hull is repairable, but I have a new one that I am painting that will be alot less work right now to get on the water.
Hi OC, my Spektrum DX-7 I'm using on my SV has a model match feature. If you are on the wrong model the Rx will not respond.
[8D] How cool is that?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: SV27dayton

OC said:
Yea man. Sorry I had to take the shot. I would have expected nothing less had the rolls been reversed. Don't make me go and make the "4Q2" stickers.

See my suggestion in post 2323 for an experiment regarding the resistance to turn the shaft absent the motor (shaft vs. stuffing tube) to determine what conditions produce lower rotational resistance. First I greased the heck out of it put it in and tried to turn it. Then I removed it and wiped it down re-inserted it and turned it again - repeat. Each time the flex shaft was removed it pulled more grease out of the tube. I'd say it was steady state after 3 or 4 cycles (it didn't feel any easier after that). Then I put a light coating of "Grim grease" on the flexible portion of the shaft, inserted it up to the solid part, smeared 3in1 on that and then pushed it the rest of the way in. This condition produced the lowest rotational resistance, and it was significant. Because of the way the brushless motors dont turn smooth, you'd never notice this w/o removing the motor. I'd be very surprised if this process doesn't buy an otherwise dialed in boat a MPH or more if the stuffing tube is over packed. This also drives home how much a damages stuffing tube would effect performance. I think the moral of the story is grease often and conservatively.
Hi SV, are you using the stock flex shaft or OSE flex shaft?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:17 AM

Nice! Live and learn....
Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 AM

No Stick,
Stock shaft. What's the difference?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the pics of he rescue rig. I plan to try it. Of course it is not for me. I have a friend that keeps turning over.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: SV27dayton

No Stick,
Stock shaft. What's the difference?
The Offshore Electric flex shaft is made by Octura and the non flex smooth shaft was very tight in the teflon bushing. I had to slightly ream the bushing to get the flex shaft to fit. Works great now.

I can't figure out how the stuffing box tube can jam up with grease. It has a pretty large ID?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:01 PM

Thats a clever configuration for a rescue boat. I used a tug more for visability reasons. When I dump it....never fails I'm way out in the middle of the pond or lake. The tugs high profile and the raised riggers help me line it up from a few hundred feet away. Have you tryed a long distance recovery?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:29 AM

Yes we have had several long distance recoveries, but my next mod is going to be two small different color flage, one for each fork in the front. This will help us find our target easier.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 PM

I have thought about the flags also. My rigs to big as it is....a couple flags will just make it more of a PIA to transport.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:18 PM

im at my wits end here[:@]anybody else running the futaba magnum t3pdf?and if so how in the hell did you get it to program?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.