Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial Outboard FE Tunnel Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

The Unofficial Outboard FE Tunnel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM
10x8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial Outboard FE Tunnel Thread

Gday JC,
The pond is the mill pond. Coming from the inner west, down Botany rd, turn right into Mill Pond drive, then left I think Gen Holmes Drive. Then Bob made of series of illegal turns to get to Ross Smith Ave. We parked at the red X and walked down to the grassy bit. It can be real weedy sometimes, perfect the next? Use an inflatable too, I wouldn't swim in that, heaven knows what is in there? If you go, give us a bit of notice and we will come down too.
Good luck.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37260.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	1350950  
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 AM
JCAustralia

G'day Peter

Thanks for that. Will let you know guys next time I plan to go there.

I might check it casually if I'm around there. Been so busy those past few months with family commitments......

I normally go to Manly Dam, but last week got told off by the Ranger because my huge gasser was too loud..... Its fine for electrics though.....

Cheers

JC
Old 01-07-2010, 01:23 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

who makes a killer Tunnel?
I would love to build one to race this season
Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 AM
10x8

JC,
Yep, have a suss first. Took us awhile to find it. Solo recon is a good idea mate. I wouldn't run your gas there, airport law will be on you fast I reckon, for having fun at other peoples expense. Not too much of a fan of Manly dam anymore, alot of wind chop & alot of swimmers, rangers, kayaks etc.
Family commitments is fine mate. Welcome them to tunnels by bringing them to the mill pond. There is a picnic area and swings and stuff for the jnrs. My nephews are not one bit interested in my fast electric tunnels. Would not bat an eyelid??? When I get the nitro Mac .21 out, they will run around the pond saying how fast they are, how cool it was etc. Sound! That's at Henry Lawson though.
Remember to advise mate? Bob is in Qld, enjoying life, the rat.

Peter

Old 01-07-2010, 05:44 AM
10x8

JC,
The other side of the Henry Lawson drive, as opposed to the side where we do elec tunnels? Red X.
Bob had the shi#s big time, trying to turn the commodore into the upper pond road. Friggen endless trucks and cars. We ended up going to the other side. Beautiful and large pond with ducks, large grassy bits, & it just looked to good. I did notice an elderly lady walking her small dog. There was no sound at the lake, nuthin mate, except birds chirpin' the song. Peaceful as the morn, yet middle of the day! Bob got out this massive 26cc gas monster tunny boat , piped like some mongrel beast from hell and started to cane it around this beautiful quiet lake. Bob was having an absolute ball. The boat was very loud.
After about 1 minute, there was an army of elderly women (70+) standing behind us, with those yappy little dogs. I did not want to mess with them. They seemed too tough for me mate. I advised Bob we should go.
So, I led a black marker with my paint skills where we can use gas, elec, nitro.

Also, this may help our great worldly tunnel fans when using OZ ponds. Doubt it.

Peter

Name:	Rp42367.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	1351100  
Old 01-07-2010, 08:08 AM
JCAustralia

Peter

Funny you mentioned the pond at Henry Lawson drive. I was there 2 days ago trying to find it as Bob mentioned it to me previously. I drove on Henry Lawson drive like 4 times back and forth trying to find the lake unsuccessfully.

There is an RC car track on the right of Henry Lawson drive (if you drive towards Hume Highway) Is the pond near there? Or is it near the Slopes? Is it a long walk from Henry Lawson drive?

The wifey was mad at me for driving like that. We ended going to lake Chipping Norton lake and had dinner at Sizzlers.

Yep I'm trying to get the little man interested in RC boating......

Concerning my K&B outboard I'm seriously considering putting it on a shovelnose hull.....

Name:	Sq47995.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1351124  
Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 AM
10x8

ORIGINAL: JCAustralia

There is an RC car track on the right of Henry Lawson drive (if you drive towards Hume Highway) Is the pond near there? Or is it near the Slopes? Is it a long walk from Henry Lawson drive?
Yep, park on my red X, other side from your directions, and walk the track up through the bush. 2 minute meander from the road. You can walk down from the r/c car track too.

Cool shot. Is that Manly dam? When Bob and I went, there was chop. We must have been in another area.

C ya
Peter

Name:	Om31749.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	976.1 KB
ID:	1351768  
Old 01-09-2010, 05:49 AM
JCAustralia

Peter

I did check both the Mill Pond yesterday and the Henry Lawson Drive one (HLD) today and is pretty excited about HLD.

HLD is my favourite. Its quiet and secluded and looks like a place I could run my big gasser.

I'll definitely make some time next month to go there. I'll let Bob and yourself know sometime advance so that we can arrange something. Would something like a Sunday morning be ok?

I'm really looking forward to see your tunnels and running my big gasser there. Still in break-in mode of the engine with just 1/2 tank used so far.....

The shot was take at Wenworth Falls lake (Blue Mountains). Big lake there with good water quality suitable for swimming. There is a scale model boat club that meets there on Sundays where members show off their scale war ships and paquebots. Some are like 2 metres long and pretty impressive. Speed wise the fastest they run would probably be like 10km per hour

Cheers

JC

Old 01-09-2010, 07:48 PM
10x8

JC,
Excellent mate, glad you got em' sussed. Sundays would be fine, prefer cool day. Sick man, I'll tell Bob to bring big gasser too & I'll bring 2 tunnels. I'll bring some r/c cars to wreck too.
HLD would be the best, which I am sure you agree. There is a warship group there as well sometimes. Nice fellas. Didn't like my nitro tunnel, but loved the elec tunnel.
The Falls look beautiful. I shall have to get back to the Blue Mountains.

P.S - I'll start letting Bob know shortly, as it will take him a month to ponder, a week to answer etc, lol.

Peter

Old 01-10-2010, 08:09 AM
JCAustralia

Excellent

I'll bring the below and may be more..... Early mornings should be cool

Let's keep in touch after you speak to Bob and we'll an eye on the weather when the time comes......

Cheers

JC

Name:	Zx72450.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1353170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42352.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1353171  
Old 01-10-2010, 08:29 PM
lapistola28

Hello . Do any of you fellas know where to get the Graupner outboards ? It seems that everywhere i look they are "out of stock" .
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 AM
10x8

Hi lapistola28,
Years ago, I found a few on german ebay, AFTER ages searching. We were lucky too, having our OZ tunnel reps over there on hols. Tip - Use google to translate for you, unless the page does not already have it.

Maybe Hobby Lobby? I assume you want the big GTX800 is it?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 AM
10x8

JC,
Your boats look great, very clean. I have been trying to convert a golf bag carrier for tunnel transport. Bobos gave it to me. I hate walking up that track when damp, always slip over and fall on my face balancing 900 tunnels & r/c gear.[&:] I just need a massive cheap plastic tub from Aldi to attach to the golf cart beast, so I can walk everything up from Bobs car. Anyway, I have thought long and hard mate, as what to bring.
I took some quick shots of what I think will be necessary. My neighbours nephew has a real nice 600 bike & I let him park it next to mine. For the shot, scale. We'll run 6 or 8s on the 1200 for you my friend. With a big prop too. Little speedcar is 1/18. Trying madly to get it done for half time land abuse.
Still no word from Bob. I have sent the electronic mail to him. Useless.

Peter

Name:	Ca82288.jpg
Size:	900.0 KB
ID:	1354547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41094.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	1354548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78562.jpg
Size:	912.2 KB
ID:	1354549  
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 AM
JCAustralia

Me like Hot Pants

My boats will probably look slow running next to yours. I'm still using Nimh batteries for the electrics and the big gasser still need one tank for break in..... But speed is not everything and should be fun.

Do you guys have a rescue raft or something like that?

The golf car idea is a good one. I 'm considering something along the kline also..... You should see the car roof box I made to carry my big gasser. Its made with 2 council rubbish bins and goes on top of my Honda Civic..... Don't have a picture now will post some as soon as I take some.....

Cheers

JC
Old 01-20-2010, 12:59 AM
10x8

Sorry for slow response JC,
Bob uses NiMh and his boat is plenty fast. Don't worry about slow v's fast mate, we will just have fun. Bob has surpassed me in boat driving ability anyway

Yep, have the rescue craft. It is the Age 3-7 inflatable from Target. Will hold a man. Even my ciggie gasping breath can inflate the beast in 3 day. Sorry, 10 minutes.

Bob has been notified too. We do not want an end to summer with high temps as the lake will dry out to unacceptable tunnel fun.

Peter

Old 01-21-2010, 11:39 PM
wave waker

hey guys, what motor/ flexcable coupling ur using?

finally, i got the motor and esc, converting my dumas nitro hotshot to electric..

jul
Old 01-22-2010, 12:24 AM
10x8

Any .21 flex cable should work. Couplings, I use 5mm, with set screw(s) or screw type or both - to 3/16th I think, the flex cable. Most good motors are 5mm bore. O.S. cable will work too. Square end type

Peter
Old 01-24-2010, 09:12 AM
wave waker

thanks Peter, but i came to realize the velineon motor comes with 3 mm shaft diameter and most of the coupler are 5mm.

ww
Old 01-29-2010, 02:30 PM
pooch692000

Had spare TS2 hull sitting around, found this thread and off I go. Decided to order whole fuller lower unit, Lipo ready Aquacraft ESC, ammo motor (the grimracer recommended upgrade from the SV 27), two more 2s 25c/500mh Lipos, new tactic 2.4 GHZ tx with wireless RX. Here's a pic of hull cut out. Will fabricate electronics/battery box and epoxy to floor stringers and side stringers (nice Low COG) and then step up to the back where the ESC and streeing servo will go, or at least that is the plan for now. Want to keep the rear deck whre gas tank stood intact for support, but may decide to cut it off. Any advice would be great. Here are the first steps pics.

Chip

Name:	Av69788.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1367285  
Old 01-29-2010, 02:35 PM
andybenton

hey guys, me and my brother in law were given an OLD dumas hot shot. pre sprint hull.

it came with a k&b 3.5 the con rod is stretched and they didnt run it with head shims. the lower drive unit is also cracked.

we are wanting to convert it to an electric out board, but we are really having trouble finding the stuff as well as knowing what kind of motor, and what kind of prop, and what lower drive unit to use to get this hul moving at a decent speed. weve started restoring it, and we are about ready to put some power to this classic. any suggestions?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 PM
eboat

ORIGINAL: pooch692000

Had spare TS2 hull sitting around, found this thread and off I go. Decided to order whole fuller lower unit, Lipo ready Aquacraft ESC, ammo motor (the grimracer recommended upgrade from the SV 27), two more 2s 25c/500mh Lipos, new tactic 2.4 GHZ tx with wireless RX. Here's a pic of hull cut out. Will fabricate electronics/battery box and epoxy to floor stringers and side stringers (nice Low COG) and then step up to the back where the ESC and streeing servo will go, or at least that is the plan for now. Want to keep the rear deck whre gas tank stood intact for support, but may decide to cut it off. Any advice would be great. Here are the first steps pics.

Chip
I ran the TS2 last season and I hope you mean you ordered 5000 not 500 lipos
To make your life alot easier you should see if you can change your order to 1 4S lipo instead of 2 2S lipos
There is not alot of room in the boat for the extra wire and conectors between the 2 2S packs
Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 AM
10x8

Good stuff pooch692000,
Let us know what you do. Glad you found this thread. I hope you meant 5000MaH too

Gday andybenton,
Just get the complete REK & elec motor plate from http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/hardware.htm
If you want, send your KB leg to get machined up for an electric motor, spend more $ on bits though.
Motor, hmm, there are so many. Have you read the forum? What money do you want to spend? Give me something to work with mate?
No $ limit, get the Neu motor 1518/1.5D/K and run it on a good 40c 4s lipo battery. You can cheap out on a 100amp HV Hobbywing esc.

2 more tunnels, excellent.

Peter
Old 01-30-2010, 09:02 AM
pooch692000

yes 5000's. there will be plenty of room as i will piggy back the two batts and be able to move them fore and aft to find best cog.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 PM
pooch692000

yes. going to use twin 2c, 25c/5000mh hyperion lipos. pre-fit box. see pics. Will be putting steering servo and esc behind this box in another stepped up box that I will build on top of old fuel plate and use two seperate lids to tape on to seal. one to open to access batteries and other in rear to access servo and esc ordered the fuller lower unit and the ammo motor (2300/kv). Prefitting box for now until stuff arrives. M?Y SV27 should to 40+ withthe ammo motor and the same lipos, waitign on ice to melt to do a gps try as original sv did 38 with big gps inside and stock setup.

Name:	Gb88204.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1367901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs50989.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1367902  
Old 01-30-2010, 03:15 PM
eboat

Do not get you weight to far forward
Put some tape on you boat and draw a line at 30% (9" from back) for some place to start to get COG
You might have the lipos to far forward??

Name:	Wu61949.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1368033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70706.jpg
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1368034  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.