Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial Outboard FE Tunnel Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

The Unofficial Outboard FE Tunnel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:11 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial Outboard FE Tunnel Thread

that's awesome!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 AM
norbique

Hey Scott!

Could you make a video of your boat running at full speed?! I'm very interested how the scorpion motor pushes her.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 AM
ozzie-crawl

a mate has 2-3 more i just need to get them from him and post it up.
i gps,d a run and it was dead on 40 mph, i will now prop up a bit and see how it goes, the scorpion has lots of torque so it should be interesting
Old 03-29-2010, 05:19 AM
ozzie-crawl

okay thought i would add a bit to this thread keep it up top
tried a x642 today that i detounged and cut back a bit,speed was up a few mph (didnt gps) and the hull was very stable,running the 637 had a slight porpoise which i think if i dropped the lower leg a mm or so would have removed that but as i was going up in prop size left it were it was and the 642 has removed any porpoising.
think i will leave it at that for the time being,i think i could get a fair bit more from the scorpion as the motor has got some serious torque and going from 637-642 there was no extra temps at end of run i will check next time i charge batts see average amp draw, 637 was around 65 amps
i have some more video of that run and will post them soon as i get them of my mate
Old 04-03-2010, 11:56 AM
collins
My Feedback: (3)

Okay. I finally finished my Top Speed 2. I ran it today for the first time. It was plowing bad. I trimmed it up about 2 degrees. This was much better but still plowed a little at times so i lowered the out drive. This helped quite a bit but the TS2 was riding high on the nose. I checked the center of gravity and its right around 10 and 1/2 inches from the stern. I think it is supposed to be 9 and 1/2. Can someone confirm this please?

I could tell it wanted to go. I just need to dial it in. After a 6 minute run the ESC was just a little warm and the motor wasnt hot at all. I did punch it from dead in the water and the boat leaped almost completely out of the water. Very COOL. When i get her dialed in ill get a video posted.

I can move the battery back a little more and move my reciever battery back and that should fix the COG problem. I hope.

The set up: UL-1 Motor-4s 4000 pack-100amp esc-Prop is 2mm below bottom of sponson with approximately 2-3 degrees up angle-octura 438 prop.

Brad

Old 04-03-2010, 02:31 PM
collins

Moved the COG back to 9 and 1/2 inches. Ran the boat. Had some porpoising. Changed the angle of trim back to 0. The boat is fast. really really fast. I think i need to cut the prop down or something. After a 6 minute run the battery and motor are a little warm. The esc is about 135 degrees F. I need to take out some of the steering because i spun out once. The boat still wants to porpoise a little at higher speeds. Not sure what to do about it. It is really fast. I never went past 3/4 throttle.

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:44 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: collins

Moved the COG back to 9 and 1/2 inches. Ran the boat. Had some porpoising. Changed the angle of trim back to 0. The boat is fast. really really fast. I think i need to cut the prop down or something. After a 6 minute run the battery and motor are a little warm. The esc is about 135 degrees F. I need to take out some of the steering because i spun out once. The boat still wants to porpoise a little at higher speeds. Not sure what to do about it. It is really fast. I never went past 3/4 throttle.

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sweet, glad to here the improvements!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:00 PM
ozzie-crawl

what do you meen prop is 2mm below sponsons ?
Old 04-03-2010, 06:57 PM
collins

If you draw a straight line between the bottoms of both sponsons and the prop shaft. The prop shaft is 2 mm below the bottoms of the sponsons. It will be tomorrow before i can get out there again. I cant wait. It was so much fun. I put a little more negative angle in the lower unit. Thanks for all your help.
Brad
Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 PM
ozzie-crawl

first i will say i am no tunnel expert
but it seems to me your prop is maybe to low, mine is set so centre of the shaft is 5mm up from bottom of sponson thats with a 42mm dia prop
what size prop are you running ?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:04 PM
collins

Oz,
I will try moving it up in the morning. Hopefully it cures all and ill be able to hammer down. Thanks for the advise.

Brad
Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 PM
collins

Octura 438
Old 04-03-2010, 09:44 PM
srt10

If they are set similar to Cats the strut should be up from the sponsons
Old 04-04-2010, 05:11 AM
ozzie-crawl

here is a bit of video from todays running, was taken of my phone but not to bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlj3sr6yLs0
Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 AM
ozzie-crawl

and one more,had gps in this one and it upset the balance,hul had slight porpoise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbsPavE05Qs
Old 04-04-2010, 09:08 AM
collins

Oz,
What kind pf speed were you getting out of the VS1? She looks really stable.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:21 AM
ozzie-crawl

its fairly bang on 40 mph, not super fast but very stable,one thing tho every time i put the gps in the hull it upsets the balance boat gets a slight porpoise that slows it down a little bit. i am very happy with current setup as this was always going to be a fun to run boat not a racer.
reliability is what i am after, i would like to try a ul-1 motor at some stage i think it would be a bit faster
Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 AM
collins

Oz,
40 is smokin fast. I am running the UL-1 motor and it is also very fast but it gets unstable at the higher speeds. If i ever get it set up right where i can achieve full power its gonna be smokin fast. Id love to gps mine but i dont have much room left. Any weight forward and it get horribly unstable. I might be able to get the battery back a little further. Not sure. Ill check it out. Maybe i can get a cop to radar me.

You cant go wrong with the UL-1 motor. Im not even running a cooling jacket on mine. Comes back slightly warm.

BTW i love the look of the VS1. Very nice. How hard was it to build???

Brad
Old 04-04-2010, 06:06 PM
collins

It ran superbly with the adjustments although i may raise the the lower unit just a tad. I did however, at the end of my run, start launching it from a dead stop. You can guess what happened. tourque rolled. My radio box was sealed pretty good except for the wires from the esc. The esc got wet. Not sure how bad it is. I sprayed it down with WD 40. It looks okay but ill let it dry for a while before testing it. Everything else was fine. Ill let you know how it goes. I also got some video and will upload in a little while.
Brad
Old 04-04-2010, 07:05 PM
ozzie-crawl

vs1 isnt hard just need to build the box out to fit esc,batts.
seen a video of a guy running ul-1 motor and it was fast and still cool after about 5 min run very nice indeed
waiting on some video of your ts2
Old 04-04-2010, 08:22 PM
collins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzh3raCuao8

Theres the video. Looks like i may have fried the esc. It popped really bad when i tried to hook up the battery. Lesson learned. Sel up the esc wires much better. And no stupid hopping the boat. cleaned it up with wd40. air dried it out. ill try again tomorrow. if not ill be ordering unless someone has one to sell.

[email protected]

Brad
Old 04-04-2010, 10:34 PM
ozzie-crawl

looking real good there brad,runs vey nice
one thing i found with steering on my tunnel if your radio has exponential, i have mine up around 65% and my steering throw down to about 70%
steering throw limited to 70% stops it turning to hard,exponential makes it less sensitive around centre much smoother steering i find
something to try if not already using it, your percentages would be different tho.

P.s your son did a great job on the video and he sound like a very well manored young man
Old 04-04-2010, 10:48 PM
ozzie-crawl

talking of esc,s i got a 100 amp mystery on mine and added a cooling plate from a turnigy 120a, runs great,cost me $24 Aus shipped to my door in 6 days from hongkong
and just for show here is my cat, i have dropped the prop down for sport running as i dont race, it was steering funny from the start of this run but kept going
when i brought it in the rudder was kicked back about 15 deg so i either hit somthing or it was a little loose,still even proped down it gps,d at around 44-45 mph
still needs a little tuning
setup is 8xl,esc mgm 12024 (120 amp) batts (2x2s) 4s1p 30c 5000 turnigy,prop x637
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otvkm4GjiOg
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 AM
collins

Oz,
Thanks. He's a really good kid. He didnt want to get up for school this morning though. LOL

The ESC is toast. I can see one of the smaller parts is burnt. I wish i could send it out for repair. It worked really well.

Ill check out the Mystery 100 from hobby city.

That Cat is sweet. Very smooth and fast.

I did turn the DR down to 70% but added no expo. That may be the ticket. Thanks for the tip. Ill give it a try when my new ESC arrives. Havent ordered yet.

Brad
Old 04-05-2010, 08:19 AM
ozzie-crawl

the mystery wasnt from hobby city dont think they sell them will try and find you a link but it mite be Aus ebay,should be able to contact seller still

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.