Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:26 PM
ryanwilson277

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unofficial

finished building mine, hopefully a vid tomarro
Old 06-14-2010, 01:06 AM
timetorc

ORIGINAL: pmdevlin

anybody got a source for a new impeller? Broke a friends today, []
Hey Guys new to the thread and have bought one of these fun lookin boats and are looking at modding it shortly. Thought I would pass this info on for you guys...

http://www.rcnz.com/Shop/Service/Det...sion_Unit.html

nzrc are now supplying the nqd jet drive separate! and at $25.00 nz (dont know what the shipping would be to your side of the world) I didn't think they were to badly priced. If shipping is an issue as I am in nz and not far from nzrc's shop I could send a whole bunch over to someone who could distribute them state side.

And while I have your attention I want to build one of these little boats up and was looking at what I could sorce locally. Would someone with more knowledge than myself (electric motor newbee) look at the below combo as to wether it would be suitable? Cheers!

http://www.rcnz.com/Shop/Service/Det...ess_Motor.html

http://www.rcnz.com/Shop/Service/Det...hless_ESC.html

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=295712648

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:35 AM
similar

Hey there

The shaft size on that motor is 3mm - slightly larger than the standard coupling. I bored the original coupling out to 3mm, but this introduced a whole world of vibration so I ended up having to get on the lathe and make another one from scratch (too tight to buy a u-joint). The motor seems to run pretty well and takes the hassle out of water cooling, keep in mind I don't have a particularly vast knowledge of BL motors and don't have a whole heap to compare it to, so it may in fact be well inferior, performance wise, to the Walkera motors everyone seems to talk about. I don't know much about the ESC or the battery sorry.

On another slightly more negative note. I bought some bits and pieces from RCNZ recently and had an issue with what appeared to be a faulty ESC, but they didn't seem to want to know about it.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:36 PM
wparsons

Hobbyking has been out of stock of the Turnigy watercooled 35A esc's for a while, so I'm thinking I may just get this one: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2165 and add a cooling plate to it. Any thoughts on that? I'll be running a 450 sized outrunner (http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11173), and around a 2200mah 3S lipo.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:09 PM
pmdevlin

have a look on giant cod website for esc's, it would probably only benefit UK buyers, who have to wait ages for Chinese deliveries, and none existant warranties, I just bough a water cooled 40amp one for £16 inc postage! , and a "local" supplier if something goes wrong
Old 06-15-2010, 03:51 AM
MikeHRC

I use Giant Cod a lot for heli stuff- nice to have someone in the UK as you say. I ordered one of these to try in my Tear Into over the weekend, should arrive today hopefully http://www.giantcod.co.uk/black-mant...-p-403839.html
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 PM
graminizer

Has anyone used the 1/16 scale Traxxas velineon in their NQD? Just wondering as this is completely waterproof.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:58 PM
bustitup
My Feedback: (7)

going to give you all some serious heads up here

when you order from RaidenTech.com ...make sure they send you an american 120v charger if thats what you need....My boat came yesturday and they sent a 220v charger and it wont charge the battery

other than that boat came very fast with UPS delivery plus I just got off the phone with tech support and they are sending me a new charger

still a pita
Old 06-19-2010, 07:39 AM
wparsons

ORIGINAL: bustitup

when you order from RaidenTech.com ...make sure they send you an american 120v charger if thats what you need....My boat came yesturday and they sent a 220v charger and it wont charge the battery

other than that boat came very fast with UPS delivery plus I just got off the phone with tech support and they are sending me a new charger

still a pita
Which colour did you buy? The yellow/orange one is 40mhz, which isn't a north american frequency and could explain why they sent a 220v charger?

Old 06-19-2010, 03:50 PM
wparsons

Orded mine today, ordered the white one, 27mhz, although it'll only make one or two runs with the stock battery...  Also placed a HK order for a 450 outrunner, ESC, servo and a pair of batteries (turnigy 2200mah 3s) and a turnigy A6 charger.  Total cost with shipping for both orders is about $170 cdn.  Just have to make some cooling plates once the motor and ESC show up, and put it all together!

I plan to run it once 100% stock, once again with a cleaned up jet drive, brushed ESC and proportional servo just to see how fast I can make it go with the stock battery/motor, and then rip into it.  I'll get video of all the early runs to compare performance.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:02 PM
bustitup

wp I got the white one so maybe u r right

question for you...I see you are going to use a water cooled motor mount for your outrunner....how?

here is the motor esc combo I ordered ...what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KV-3700-Brushles...22980819534754

ORIGINAL: wparsons

ORIGINAL: bustitup

still a pita
Which colour did you buy? The yellow/orange one is 40mhz, which isn't a north american frequency and could explain why they sent a 220v charger?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:34 PM
damfurst

Bustitup, Just want to let you know that 3700kv motor will work but is better with 2s battery. 3s will make too much cavitation. wparsons motor looks about right though around 3000kv is actually better. But I do have a 3200kv Emp motor in mine running normally on 9.9v life batt. 3s batts do perk it up though.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 PM
llDemonll

you will also need a 3.2mm -> 2.3mm coupler so that the motor will work with the NQD jet drive, which is a 2.3mm shaft
Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 AM
bustitup

ORIGINAL: llDemonll

you will also need a 3.2mm -> 2.3mm coupler so that the motor will work with the NQD jet drive, which is a 2.3mm shaft

and where can I find this coupler?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:41 AM
wparsons

I have a ton of couplers of various sizes, including collets so I'm not too concerned.  Worst case I'll drill out the motor side of the stock coupler so it fits the motor.  Another option is to use a 3mm shaft and drill out the impeller to match (I wouldn't go that far, unless you're running a graupner impeller which is 3mm stock).

The water cooling plate is basically a flat piece about 3-4mm thick that fits between the normal mount and the motor with water flowing through it.  You can buy aluminum ones with water passages machined/drilled through it, or you can use brass with tubing soldered to top and bottom.  I'll be making one for the motor and another for the ESC.  I don't think the motor will need it, since the one I ordered has a sort of internal fan but it won't hurt.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 PM
BIG22BIRD
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21j6iSqkuiE
Old 06-22-2010, 11:37 PM
graminizer

Nice vid.....can't wait to get mine on the water!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:26 PM
bustitup

any chance of getting the specs on this build?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:11 PM
damfurst

Looking good Bigbird. I might have to build one to get up some rapids I have here on the creek.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:28 PM
graminizer

ORIGINAL: llDemonll

As said before, where can you get these couplers? I tried drilling out my stock one, but it didn't work out.[&o]
Old 06-24-2010, 08:04 PM
damfurst

Try Jeff Wohlt or I know that Gaupner makes one. I think I got one from Cornwall Boats before. Only problem is the O.D. is bigger & I don't know if it would fit in the drive without some serious turning down to fit.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:33 PM
ChuckATruck

i just got one of these boats yesterday and it is a blast, unfortunatly i sucked up a rock and broke my prop[] so i was wondering is there anything i can use that will work without buying a whole jetdrive or a new boat?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:48 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ChuckATruck

i just got one of these boats yesterday and it is a blast, unfortunatly i sucked up a rock and broke my prop[] so i was wondering is there anything i can use that will work without buying a whole jetdrive or a new boat?
Just about a new boat or this http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jetdrives.htm
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 AM
wparsons

You can buy a replacement impeller for the graupner mini jet drive (same overall size), but you'll have to run a 3mm shaft and bushings.  The stock jet drive is a copy of the graupner one, so if you do get it, it'll be easy to swap in.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:07 AM
ChuckATruck

ORIGINAL: wparsons

You can buy a replacement impeller for the graupner mini jet drive (same overall size), but you'll have to run a 3mm shaft and bushings. The stock jet drive is a copy of the graupner one, so if you do get it, it'll be easy to swap in.
so i can get a graupner impeller and shaft and put it in my ndq jetdrive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.