Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM
joeyhatch11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

What's the max voltage the stock ESC can handle? Looking to pick one up REAL soon and would like to get the full run down on the stock electronics. I have 6, 7.4v 5000mah lipos. 4 are 20c and 2 are 25c. Not looking to go crazy on speed, just something to get on the water and have some fun. Let me know what you guys think of you Geico's. Thanks, Joe
Old 02-16-2011, 01:43 PM
losifiend

5S is max with the BEC disabled. So you will need ether a receiver pack or an external bec.The boat is impressive as is, but the addition of a Grim 42x44 prop will wake it up nicely.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:46 PM
joeyhatch11

For the most part, in the areas I'll be running, I'm sure the boat in stock form will do just fine. I can't wait to place the order and get her here. Is it worth just ordering a bigger Turnigy ESC from HobbyCity from the start?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if all you are running is 4s then the stock esc will work with out a problem, mine rarely got over 100 degrees Fahrenheit on 4s. and i think losifiend meant to say a grim 42x55, but just hit the 4 instead of 5. Don't believe there is a 44 pitch.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:07 PM
losifiend

Right, it was a typo.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:44 PM
losifiend

Managed to hit 58 MPH today.[8D]

Decided to try this setup on 6S before swapping the motor out for a 1512 2650kv on 4S. Bought that motor today along with a 1515 cooling sleeve. Should be ready to hit the water with that setup next weekend.

My current setup is a Castle 3424 1800kv outrunner, Turnigy 180A ESC, 6S, Prather 215 40MM prop. Never expected it would GPS close to 60. I was thinking more like 50. After the video everything was no warmer than 90*. I will try to break in to 60MPH with a 42x55 prop next time out. The boat was running in to the wind coming at the camera which is why it gets a bit out of shape at 1 point.
Video
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSuLgLjTDNc[/link]

This app is very accurate. I checked it against my car's speedo and its good till about 80mph. Then it starts to vary by 1-2 mph.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Back into this project...

Ordered twin Tacon 4074 2150 KVs and a new tx/rx FlySky FS-GT3B with the digital top and 6 model memory...

Now to order everythign else...
Old 02-20-2011, 07:34 PM
asupervee72

3s or 4? i'll say 4, hot damn your trying to break the sound barrier? Jk that should put you in the 80 mph range or what?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:37 PM
asupervee72

did you pay for your app? the one i have doesn't store the values, which one is that, i have a droid incredible, it's a pretty decent platform
Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 PM
losifiend

Haha, the 2650 will be run on 4s, 2p. There was a guy at the lake today running a Neu 1415 2700kv motor in his MG and his boat was INSANE!!! He couldn't go past 3/4 throttle cause the boat would literally lift out of the water. He barrel rolled it the 1 time he attempted to run it WOT.

My Castle outrunner runs so awesome but I just want to see what the boat will do with the 2650. Might not run it all the time. Just when I want to get stupid :P

You sold me on the 2P setup, BTW. You were right! The boat handles soooo much better with the extra weight. Im getting 10 minutes of run time. So today when I got home after running it I gutted all the wood out of it and made a new motor mount for it. I'm going to lay a layer of glass along the tunnel and drop the battery trays in to the sponsons to make it easy to pull the bigger batteries in and out. The wood was starting to come loose anyways. This will look a lot cleaner too. I'll post pictures when it's done.

I got the app free from the iPhone app store. It's called "cycle watch". They might have it for your phone.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

I agree man!
having extra weight can help with these fast FE boats
Old 02-20-2011, 10:08 PM
asupervee72

ORIGINAL: losifiend

Haha, the 2650 will be run on 4s, 2p. There was a guy at the lake today running a Neu 1415 2700kv motor in his MG and his boat was INSANE!!! He couldn't go past 3/4 throttle cause the boat would literally lift out of the water. He barrel rolled it the 1 time he attempted to run it WOT.

My Castle outrunner runs so awesome but I just want to see what the boat will do with the 2650. Might not run it all the time. Just when I want to get stupid :P

You sold me on the 2P setup, BTW. You were right! The boat handles soooo much better with the extra weight. Im getting 10 minutes of run time. So today when I got home after running it I gutted all the wood out of it and made a new motor mount for it. I'm going to lay a layer of glass along the tunnel and drop the battery trays in to the sponsons to make it easy to pull the bigger batteries in and out. The wood was starting to come loose anyways. This will look a lot cleaner too. I'll post pictures when it's done.

I got the app free from the iPhone app store. It's called ''cycle watch''. They might have it for your phone.

lol glad you like the 2p set up, at the speeds you are getting to you definitely need the added weight, have you tried the stock motor on 6s? have yet to try that, been kinda cold lately and I've been busy with the SC truck so I'm waiting for some better weather before i head out to the water. Trying to talk the owner of the lhs to get a boat but he likes the miss elam better then MG. I would like to see pics and hear your feed back on handling after you take out the wood and drop the batt trays. How far forward/back are you running the 2p with that power plant? I think i had mine too far back with my ul1 motor, put some negative angle on the strut but the nose was still lifting quite a bit when i laid into it and on a breezy day that spells disaster, still have some fine tuning to do with this set up but i want to get it dialed in water that is close to race water conditions and then start trying to race. I'm hooked on racing right now, going fast in a straight line isn't giving me quite the same rush anymore.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 PM
losifiend

I hung the batteries off the trays by an inch. The back of the boat was almost submerged when sitting in water. She bites quick though and jumps out of the water strong! I like the nose up on mine. Just enough to where she almost flies backwards. Turns really well at full speed, really tight and wont flip unless you catch another boats wake. I have rolled the boat at full speed but have yet to have it flip backwards. My strut is neutral level with the bottom of the rear ride pads.

The trays will lay in there at an angle since the battery won't completely sit in the sponson, but will still be lower than stock. Pulling out the wood will also allow the motor to sit lower. The hull is so wide that I don't see the wood being gone as a bad thing since lowering the CG of the motor will inprove the handling even further.

There are 4 geicos so far in our group and we all agree that it's one of the best handling boats on the market. It skims the water like a hydro and handles like it's on rails with no fins. It's fun to see 4 of them going at it too. You should try and join us some day at Hanson Dam. I know it's far from you but it's well worth the trip. I make it there in 40 minute and don't mind the drive at all. We could even carpool in my Civic to save on gas. The guys who run there are the friendliest and most helpful people I have come across while I have been back in to RC, since 04. We rave for fun and to learn from each other.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 AM
asupervee72

sounds amazing, what day? not sure where that is at but i could make the drive to chino if you are willing to drive your honda. My 5.3 liter v8 isn't exactly the most fuel friendly engine. Only think i can think of that is better then 4 miss geicos is 5 and if i can get my buddy Brad to clean the sand out of his vajay we could get up to 6 and have us a decent following, then we will all have to get namba memberships and start running over at prado.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 AM
losifiend

I usually go out there on Sat., though this week I went out on Sunday due to rain, but the die hards are there Sat. and Sun. We usually start around 7:30-8 am and it goes till the last person leaves. I saw that you drove a v8 which is why I offered to drive. My Armada stays parked in the garage most the time for that reason. I've been filling up my civic with $28 and it goes for nearly 400 miles on the freeway.[8D] I go down there and come back on a 1/8 of a tank The park is just passed La Crescenta on the 210, a few miles north of Pasadena. Its not a sanctioned park but the city allows us to run there. Check out the group's thread and pictures of the place over on RC Groups [link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117749[/link]

Here are some photos of what I'm doing to my G. It's just a mock up. I cut 1/4 of the length of the battery tray off so it sits in there at an angle to allow for the bigger pack to sit as low as possible. I also moved it back so the packs will no longer hang out of the back of of the tray and will have more contact when I apply the velcro. I will be glassing everything over this week. I made the motor mount based off the one in my Genesis. I might trip the edges of the motor plate to round it off a bit, but it sits much lower than the stock mount. It weighs under 3oz's.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 AM
asupervee72

thanks for hooking me up with that group info, so would you take the 57 or 71 from where you are at to get to the 210? from my house chino is about 30 min past the 210 so i'd be going the wrong way for a while it seems. I'll be out there this weekend hopefully, only thing is i need to race sat night, heats start at 5 and i'll probably be around heat 5 pretty sure i can make it all work though. So are you going to glass over the motor mount to secure it? Will that bond? If it were me i'd add little tabs to the inside of the runners drill a bolt hole through those then add a piece of wood to the hull to bolt it down to. But that would raise the cog a little.

As far as the best handling hull on the water, I know it's the best thing i've ever driven, but that AQ cat has me a little worried with their rudder mount. Mike sets his stuff up to race so i know he/AQ have to be trying to beat MG because it's their competition. Gonna wait for some youtube videos on it and see whether or not i need to mimic it. Seems like it is set right behind the transom, before the prop has a chance to aerate the water. Seems like it's gonna help it cut a little better or do something faster. Arrg matey they be steeling all the speed. One thing i didn't notice was if the AQ cat's hull was stepped, it has to be right.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 AM
srt10

I hung the batteries off the trays by an inch. The back of the boat was almost submerged when sitting in water. She bites quick though and jumps out of the water strong! I like the nose up on mine. Just enough to where she almost flies backwards. Turns really well at full speed, really tight and wont flip unless you catch another boats wake. I have rolled the boat at full speed but have yet to have it flip backwards. My strut is neutral level with the bottom of the rear ride pads.

The trays will lay in there at an angle since the battery won't completely sit in the sponson, but will still be lower than stock. Pulling out the wood will also allow the motor to sit lower. The hull is so wide that I don't see the wood being gone as a bad thing since lowering the CG of the motor will inprove the handling even further.

There are 4 geicos so far in our group and we all agree that it's one of the best handling boats on the market. It skims the water like a hydro and handles like it's on rails with no fins. It's fun to see 4 of them going at it too. You should try and join us some day at Hanson Dam. I know it's far from you but it's well worth the trip. I make it there in 40 minute and don't mind the drive at all. We could even carpool in my Civic to save on gas. The guys who run there are the friendliest and most helpful people I have come across while I have been back in to RC, since 04. We rave for fun and to learn from each other.
seeing 4 of these run would be a sweet video.. hint , hint
Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
losifiend

I go 71, 57, to the 210. I could meet you in Glendora and you could leave your truck at a park-n-ride or at a shopping center. We could shoot down the carpool lane too since the 210 gets a bit packed on the way back. You coming to Chino to head out from here would not be a good route. Totally up to you.

The mount needs holes drilled along the bottom so the fiberglass resin grabs. How I do my mounts is to lay a layer of glass along the bottom and the hull, which reinforces the boat and makes for a good platform for the mount, and just when the resin becomes tacky I install the mount and secure it with strips of cloth and more resin. That makes for a solid, monolithic bond and it will never come loose. That's how I have done it in my Widowmaker, my Geneis, and now this hull. Some people use epoxy or JB Weld when affixing their mounts, but I like everything to look the same inside the boat. Nice and clean. I hate wood inside these boats. No matter how well it's sealed it always rots.

The AQ boat looks good over all but I will wait to see how it does on the water before getting too critical. If it's not as wide as the Geico, it will fall behind. The Geico can take full speed turn and asks for more and seems to run the same wether it's choppy or on glass. If the AQ hull is too narrow we all know what will happen!

SRT, we deny get video because everyone was too busy watching or driving, lol
Old 02-21-2011, 12:04 PM
srt10

I go 71, 57, to the 210. I could meet you in Glendora and you could leave your truck at a park-n-ride or at a shopping center. We could shoot down the carpool lane too since the 210 gets a bit packed on the way back. You coming to Chino to head out from here would not be a good route. Totally up to you.

The mount needs holes drilled along the bottom so the fiberglass resin grabs. How I do my mounts is to lay a layer of glass along the bottom and the hull, which reinforces the boat and makes for a good platform for the mount, and just when the resin becomes tacky I install the mount and secure it with strips of cloth and more resin. That makes for a solid, monolithic bond and it will never come loose. That's how I have done it in my Widowmaker, my Geneis, and now this hull. Some people use epoxy or JB Weld when affixing their mounts, but I like everything to look the same inside the boat. Nice and clean. I hate wood inside these boats. No matter how well it's sealed it always rots.

The AQ boat looks good over all but I will wait to see how it does on the water before getting too critical. If it's not as wide as the Geico, it will fall behind. The Geico can take full speed turn and asks for more and seems to run the same wether it's choppy or on glass. If the AQ hull is too narrow we all know what will happen!

SRT, we deny get video because everyone was too busy watching or driving, lol
Bugger!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM
asupervee72

we will have to try and get vid this sat of all 5 boats going at it. I like the park and ride + carpool on the 210 idea. The aq cat is only slightly smaller, but yes we will have to wait and see it run. Everything is just speculation until then. My wood is still holding on, but i'm pretty sure you have more run time with yours. It runs consistent in different water conditions, its more the wind that concerns me.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 PM
losifiend

Trimmed down the motor plate and got everything glassed in place. Tomorrow I'm installing the under hull water pickups. One for the motor and one for the ESC.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 AM
asupervee72

Melted the stock 4mm connector off the ul1 motor in a two min run yesterday. Was timing how long a singe 4s cell last to see if i can make it through the 2, 4, 6 min heat races and then the mile main. 206 into the run and i was dead in the water. Really diggen the ul1 motor though. I have three 10 packs of the 5.5 mm so i guess it is time to start converting everything.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 PM
losifiend

If it melted the connector it means it's pulling more than 125A continues. You need to upgrade them for sure.

I just got the 40 5.5 Hobby King connectors I ordered too. I started to go through them and found that only 20 of the connectors actually mated together 100%. The others connect but are ether lose or the male does not go in to the female all the way. There is about 1-1.5mm gap between them. Sux [:@]
Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 PM
srt10

If it melted the connector it means it's pulling more than 125A continues. You need to upgrade them for sure.

I just got the 40 5.5 Hobby King connectors I ordered too. I started to go through them and found that only 20 of the connectors actually mated together 100%. The others connect but are ether lose or the male does not go in to the female all the way. There is about 1-1.5mm gap between them. Sux [:@]
I had to work some of mine over a litte to get a better fit
they sure beat the Castle price though
Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

I use those HK 5.5s on everything. On the male's that seem to fit a little loose. I stick allen key inside to evenly spread open the bullet for a tighter fit. Not sure what size I use to do that but works everytime and takes 2 seconds. I have yet to have a issues with those 5.5s. I love them lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.