RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   Valvryn Proboat Horizon Not Working (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/11680794-valvryn-proboat-horizon-not-working.html)

Hydro Junkie 08-09-2020 03:07 PM

You wouldn't be ordering a new bushing, you would need to get a complete strut which should include that bushing already installed.
There are a couple of other options but they wouldn't be sure to fix the issue:
1) pull out the bushing after removing the shaft, buy a short piece of brass tubing with a slightly larger outside diameter and as close to the hard shaft diameter for the inside as possible. Cut the tube to a slightly longer length and throw it in the freezer overnight. The next day, throw the strut in the oven set on low for around 10 to 15 minutes, just long enough to heat it up but not to damage it. Take the brass tube out of the freezer and put it in the strut where the bushing was. Let everything sit until it gets back to room temperature. The tube SHOULD be locked into the strut so that all you would need to do is file off the end and put it back on the boat. Reinstall the shaft and test it on the bench
2) If you can find it, there is a product called JB WELD which is like an epoxy for metal parts. Pull the bushing out of the strut, mix up a small amount of JB Weld and coat the outside of the bushing. Put the bushing back in and allow it to cure for a day or two. Make sure none of the JB Weld got inside the bushing, reinstall everything and test it on the bench.

As far as where the water is coming from, it could be coming through the shaft tube, depending on how low the boat sits in the water. It could also be coming through the gap between the hull and canopy as they never seal properly. Only last place to check is the tubing used for cooling water. Any cracks or pinholes would put water inside the boat

ross100 08-10-2020 12:59 AM

Will keep you posted and thanks

Yes sir! Will follow your advice and keep you posted bud. So the bushing is on the strut, got you pal. Yes that JB Welding stuff I think you said, I have used that before.

I have handed the boat over to that guy at work today and will keep you posted. He doesn’t have boats just cars, but he’s the head technician at the school and can fix anything tv he said. I relayed all that you told me and yes boat does sit really low in the water. He said he would check general set up at back first. I will keep you posted.

Really enjoyed all our conversations and you teaching me over the hols. Am but at work now, but will defo keep you updated regularly, the pupils are back on Wed here. Hope you’re well bud and have an ace day.

Ross 👍🏻😎

Hydro Junkie 08-10-2020 01:54 AM

I just hope he can get that strut fixed so we can actually see the boat run properly. I've been on vacation myself for the past week, have to be to work tomorrow afternoon(that being Tuesday, just to make sure we're on the same page, considering the time difference) so I won't be in the forum as much during your daytime. In fact, I work the afternoon to evening shifts this week, the morning to early afternoon next week and am back to the afternoon to evening shift the next week. Hard to get on a sleeping schedule with a work schedule like that. Worse still, I won't know when I work the following month until probably the last week of the month. Hopefully, I'll be able to post some pictures of my projects later in the week since I've been doing other things while on vacation. Anyway, I'll type at you later as I need to get to bed, wife has me getting up early in the morning and it's now 2:55am :(

ross100 08-10-2020 02:01 AM

No worries at all bud

Yeah, that would be awesome bud, can’t wait to get it set up right for a blast. You sound like a busy bee! Wow, that’s a lot of night shifts man, you must have an erratic sleeping pattern. You sound like my two young kids 😎

Think our time difference is about eight hours if my numeracy skills are correct. Am sure all your help and advice will be worth it in the end 😎👍🏻😎 You stay safe at work and take care, family is always king. Warmest Regards.

Ross 👍🏻😎👍🏻

ross100 08-14-2020 10:56 AM

Hey

Hey bud, hope that you are safe and well and had a good week. The atomic is still with the chap at work, am getting back next week, so will keep you posted.

could you do me a favour please and email that propeller guy you suggested. I emailed him a week or so ago about buying a metal propeller for my Joysway mad flow, but not heard back yet. Thanks a mill, my email address is [email protected]
Kindest Regards

Ross 👍🏻😎👍🏻

Hydro Junkie 08-14-2020 01:38 PM

I'll give him a yell tomorrow as I'm at work at the moment and it's kind of breaking the rules to send emails outside of the company. Then again, being on the internet could be considered the same............

ross100 08-23-2020 01:52 PM

Sorted chief!

Hey bud, sorry that I haven’t been back her sooner. Hope that you well, work has been crazy from this end. My Atomic SR85 is working perfectly now, thanks a mill. It was the bushing which the guy at work fixed, you were absolutely right!

You have been a true friend and expert on this forum. Really looking forward to stay connected to you, thanks a million and sending you all the luck and best wishes in the universe. Warmest Regards.

Ross 👍🏻🙂👍🏻🙂

Hydro Junkie 08-23-2020 02:43 PM

I am so glad to hear he was able to fix it for you. So, how about some video of it running?
I haven't had the chance to work on anything due to being crazy at work. My average week has been at least 6 or 7 9 hour shifts in 5 days and recover over the weekend. This weekend has been busy in another way. Wife and I went out shopping yesterday and today(at least I went out today) and spent some major money on a 3 meter fishing kayak, 250 cm paddle, car top carrier rack and storage rack. Now that I have a boat to chase after stalled boats, I get to start building again. Once again, I HOPE to have pictures of progress before the week's out. In the mean time, have a great week and HAPPY BOATING :D

ross100 09-05-2020 06:24 AM

Hey!

Hey bud, how’s life treating you? Sorry not been in touch for so long, Kids and work have been crazy. How’s your work and the night shifts going? Am sure that you have been super busy to. I never managed to get the vid of the atomic to you, my boys are only 3 and 5 and tried getting them to hold the phone, but just didn’t work 🙁🙂

Can I pick your brains again please.I have a genesis now to and took it out for the first time today. Was going great, but then the esc wires came away from the lipo connector bit. Don’t know if it was pull due to battery movement when accelerating. Do I just solder them back together again with lead free solder, is it just black to black and red to red and can I buy little red and black covers plastic covers to put over the bits I’ve soldered? Thanks for helping the newbie again and look forward to hearing from you bud.

Ross 👍😎
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...5406b3a92.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...87e014896.jpeg

Hydro Junkie 09-05-2020 02:01 PM

Looks to me like the solder joint got too hot, melting the solder. There is only three things that will cause that:
1) the solder joint was poorly done to begin with causing higher resistance which caused enough heat to melt the solder
2) your motor was pulling more current than the joint could handle and it melted the solder
3) the wires shorted against something where they are bare on the other side of the connector. I can actually see solder and bare wire between the sleeves and the connector
Either way, I would replace that connector with a new one since it got extremely hot and there's no way to know if it's still good. The fact that the two halves of the connector don't sit flat against each other tells me the plastic was heated up as well, meaning it's garbage. If you replace the connector, it should come with new wire covers but, if not, that is something you should be able to buy at a hardware store. It's just a heat shrink tubing, used all the time for electrical type work and is normally sold in a variety of colors. To replace the tube, you do the following:
1) slide a new piece of tubing over the wire that is longer than what is needed to cover the solder joint and a bit of wire insulation
2) solder the wire to the connector
3) slide the tubing down so that it covers the solder joint, flush against the face of the connector
4) using a heat gun, heat up the tubing until it shrinks down against the wire and solder terminal. Be sure to heat the end against the connector first or it could pull away from the connector as it shrinks, exposing the solder joint like what is shown in your picture above

ross100 09-05-2020 11:31 PM

Thanks a mill bud

That’s great chief, thanks so much for that prompt info. I have already got the solder gun on order and will order the bits and bobs from my model shop tomorrow. You know your stuff big man. Just love that TFL genesis, is more of a proper bit of kit. Hope that you and the family are well and that boat you were building is getting there. Have a fab day my friend from Scotland and talk soon. Warmest Regards.

Ross 👍😎👍

Hydro Junkie 09-06-2020 12:15 AM

Wife and I are both doing well though, in my case, the wife, the job and this pandemic has kept me from doing a lot of things I have wanted to do, including working on the boats. Spent today working in the yard so no boat stuff today, last weekend was working on things with and for the wife, weekend prior was running errands with the wife though I did get to do something for me on that trip. Talked the wife into letting me buy a chase boat a while back and FINALLY got it two weeks ago. Haven't got it wet yet but I do have it. Looks kind of like this:
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/asce...n-hybrid-kayak
Since it's very stable and made for fishing as well as kayaking, I figured it would be a good chase boat ;)

ross100 09-17-2020 10:11 AM

So sorry bud!

Hey bud, so sorry just saw your reply, didn’t get a notification. Glad all well from your end and that boat you bought for the lake as super amazing! Have you been out yet in it? Is it an inflatable or hard plastic chief? Hope that you and your wife getting done quality time. My kids are wrestling in the bath just now 😔🙁 Hope your tv boat building is going well to.

Can I ask you about the TFL Genesis question please. I soldered the esc wires back onto a new connector to lipos and is running sweet again. I love it, running on 6S, but could you possibly check it’s spec and see if I can run it on 8S as it is for even more speed?

Promise to reply punctually, your Scottish bud.

Ross 👍😎👍🙂👍

Hydro Junkie 09-17-2020 02:26 PM

Just did some web surfing and found nothing about running on 8S. Found lots of 6S and 4S and how well it runs but nothing on 8S. My thought is the hull, at 94cm, is a sport 40/7.5cc class hull. To run 8S may be too much for it as could pack too much air under it and want to blow over. This is an issue with boats like mine as well. If you want to run faster, you can try it but I would expect the boat would probably need a new drive system made for the higher wattage.
As for what's been happening here, not a heck of a lot. Don't know if you heard/read this or not but we have been basically confined to indoors for the past few weeks. There are many uncontrolled forest fires along the west coast that has filled the air with smoke and ash, making the health departments in many of the states put out the word to stay indoors. Staying indoors didn't help me at work. Since I spent this week working in the facility where they build the 747, 767, 777 and 787, every time they roll a plane out, they open the hanger doors and the place gets flooded with smoke and haze. My work schedule hasn't helped either. Last week, had to drive to a location in the southern end of Seattle, 70KM and almost an hour away, another location in Renton, 75KM and an hour away, and long shifts locally. Saturday came and I spent almost my whole weekend sleeping, just to try and catch up. Wife had me running errands for her as well, killing most of my awake time so the boats have sat untouched. I plan on changing that this weekend. IF the air clears, the kayak gets it's first voyage and maybe have to see how it is to fish from(that could be a dream, need to get a permit and that's dependent on what's left in the bank after everything else is paid). I also need to make a run down to the Hydroplane and Race Boat Museum to get some information off the full sized version of the boats I'm building, which is another run of 86 KM. Unfortunately, it's not going to be open for another 4-6 weeks due to Covid concerns. Anyway, time for me to get back to work since I've got people showing up that need to be mentally challenged. Type at you later

ross100 09-18-2020 02:22 AM

Hey bud

Man, you’re having a hard time! That’s horrible with the fires, no I didn’t know that at all. Must be spewing out a lot of pollution into the environment. Bummer also about you not getting out on the lake to fish in the new boat. Better watch these fishies aren’t getting polluted by all the fire fall out. You must be itching to get out with the rc boat. Thanks for looking up the genesis for me, love it and have a TFL warrior to that haven’t had out yet. That’s a beauty and really hard to get, google it chief. Out of interest you can get a bigger double motor genesis, gave you heard of the TFL Zonda?

Im still at school teaching chemistry/science, kids now have to wear face masks in corridors and communal areas, but not in class. Really odd, but think might be looking at local lockdowns rather than whole country to keep the economy going. Man the Covid pandemic is crazy, not convinced they will get a vaccine, might be antivirals and just have to live with it lurking at a low level in the population. Told the school kids basic science and they could be silent asymptomatic spreaders to parents or grannies/grandads, but most don’t listen 😔🙁

Always a pleasure to talk to you bud, remember if you want to give me your address to send some Scottish goodies to you for all your help, offer always there. I understand if you want to keep anonymous though. Warmest regards to you and your family.

Ross [img]blob:https://www.rcuniverse.com/652b3932-23db-4967-a5a8-16ee4e50a85d[/img]

Hydro Junkie 09-18-2020 04:48 AM

Chomping at the bit is kind of an understatement. Then again, with the way things are right now, I figure it's better safe than sorry and stuck in bed, regardless of whether I'm at home or in a hospital.
I saw the bigger boat on the TFL website, didn't really look at it since I was looking for the smaller boat. The big thing on that is you're having fun with it. When it's not fun, it's time to sell out and find another hobby. I still haven't hit that point so I guess I'll stick with it for a while longer.
We are required to wear masks pretty much any time we leave our homes, other than when in the car. I could actually be fired for not wearing one at work so, unless I'm eating or drinking, I've got one on. There must be something to it though. We had a holiday weekend earlier this month and many college students went to the beaches or to parties, didn't follow the distancing or mask rules and, unfortunately, many ended up with it. There was huge spikes in the numbers after the weekend so, again, there must be something to the rules.
No need to reward or send me anything. I try to help out others because I've been helped out by many over the years. You don't learn without help and the hobby doesn't keep going unless you can help out others. Just the way it is. Then again, being a teacher, I'm sure you get some satisfaction from seeing your students "get it" when you are trying to teach them something. I'm sure the opposite is just as true when they don't. I had to fail two people taking hands on tests yesterday. One was really good about it, actually asked me to fail him since he just didn't understand the subject he was being tested on. The second tried to con his way through. Seen his game before from others so I knew what he was up to. Needless to say, his attempt to get a pass didn't work and he's just a bit "upset", to put it mildly. Then again, when it took him six hours to get less than a third of the way through a test that others finish long before then, and still getting it wrong, kind of said everything I needed to know. Still hated to have to fail him, if nothing else due to the paperwork I have to fill out but, when I look back at it, I don't want him on the job doing it wrong. It could cost over 300 people their lives if his work fails and I don't want to be the one that let him cause that. Enough on that subject :(
Time for me to find a pillow as it's going on 6:00 in the morning and I have to be up in less than seven hours so:
  • Have a good day
  • Have a great weekend
  • Say "Hello from Seattle" to your students for me
  • Thank your friend for helping get your boat running for me
and I'll type at you again soon

ross100 09-18-2020 02:12 PM

Hey chief, hope that you are well bud. Can i ask you a quick question please. The drive cable is rotating at collet end but not at propellar end which isn’t moving on my genesis. Is this an issue with the drive dog do you think or transmitter setting? Thanks a mill. Ross 👍😎. Ps sure will say hi to all my students from you on Monday, they probably don’t even know where Seattle is 😎👍 Quite right about the chap at your work chief, if your not good enough, then you shouldn’t pass. Yeeeeeeees! Will make my next reply longer, wee man up crying. Maximum respect and hope that you got a decent sleep chief.

Ross

Hydro Junkie 09-18-2020 06:36 PM

If the collet is spinning and the prop isn't, it's normally one of two things:
1) The collet isn't holding the drive shaft tight enough
2) The drive shaft has an issue
The easiest way to tell is to just pull on the prop. If you can pull the drive shaft out of the collet, it's too loose.
If you pull on the prop and it comes out, of the tube but not the collet, the shaft is bad
If you pull the prop on nothing moves, try to spin it and see if the collet spins. If the collet doesn't spin, the drive dog is probably loose. You can tell by looking at the nut that holds the prop on. If you can spin the prop and the nut doesn't rotate with it, look at the drive dog as it's probably the issue.
I've seen pretty much all of these issues over the years. All are simple fixes. Just comes with the hobby

ross100 09-18-2020 10:39 PM

Howdie!

Thanks for the punctual reply bud. Done what you asked and the collet set up looks tight enough, is spinning but the prop end isn’t. Checked the drive dog, looks ok and tight. Can’t get the drive tube to rotate at all at the back, have the propeller off and the drive dog just now. Warmest Regards.

Ross 🙂😔

ross100 09-18-2020 10:41 PM

Ps

Ps the RSC with red light on seems to be whirring every 30/45 seconds or so, is that normal? Rudder moving fine using transmitter.

ross100 09-18-2020 10:42 PM

Hey

The ESC unit with red light on seems to be whirring every 45 seconds for 3/4 seconds and then stops, is that normal?

Hydro Junkie 09-19-2020 12:09 AM

Nope, not normal. That is also one I don't know anything about so you may have to call the manufacturer for assistance since it sounds like an ESC problem.

ross100 09-19-2020 01:24 AM

Pps

The guy I bought the genesis from days sounds like the flex cable has snapped? Should I undo collet and take it out chief and have a look, does it sound plausible from your expert perspective? Thanks a mill.

Ross 😎👍

Hydro Junkie 09-19-2020 01:33 AM

If the cable has snapped, you should be able to pull out half of it without undoing the collet just by pulling on the prop. If the prop and cable won't come out, it can't be a snapped cable.

ross100 09-19-2020 02:29 AM

Cheesy peeps!

Yeah good point bud. This is wierd, just had the TFL warrior out and was flying and now exactly the same thing has happened with it?? Mmmmmmm

ross100 09-19-2020 03:01 AM

Me again

I’m thinking chief will take two boats on to guy at work on Monday, he knows what he’s doing like you chief.

ross100 09-19-2020 03:02 AM

Private email

Do you have a private email that could communicate with you rather than through forum at times? Thanks a mill.

Ross 👍

ross100 09-19-2020 04:39 AM

Guy who bought genesis from reply

Think on the genesis you have to take the strut of the back and remove shaft completely you can then change for a race shaft but will have to cut to length. Look on Prestwich model boat for parts or eBay. When battery discharge esc cuts out to give you power to get back

ross100 09-19-2020 04:55 AM

Mmmmm

Defo not ESC cut off as rudder working on warrior and when apply throttle clunks as tries to move. Check a pic of the warrior bud, don’t see a flex cable, everything seems housed at the back