Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Apache

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
dr drip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apache

I would like some help.....I am ordering an aeromarine 56" apache with twin rails. I Have 2 zen whh with clutches and xp-2 drive lines. I am going to rotate one jug and piston to have both carbs in and both exhausts out. I have tuned wet exhausts for them also.

Do I have the cables exit the transom on this boat or is it better to come out the bottom. Is the cg as usual for twins as singles....approx 25-30% of length.

I also have an order for a couple of zen twins for an 84" apache....same as twin singles, rotating one twins jugs and pistons. Going with a mild mod and using straight pipes and water injection.....I'm pretty sure these drive lines come out the transom. Is the balance point the same 25-30% of length.

Both builds will not be counter rotating, is this ok, or a waste of time.

Any help would be [email protected]
Old 03-01-2009, 01:43 PM
madphil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Apache

ORIGINAL: dr drip

Both builds will not be counter rotating, is this ok, or a waste of time.

Any help would be [email protected]
A BIG waste of time if you dont counter rotate one engine it wont turn very well
Old 03-01-2009, 02:01 PM
dr drip

Thanks....I was going to use a rudder behind each prop, I know it will have some prop walk, can it be controlled?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:10 PM
dr drip

Would thw mhz gearbox and 1 inline zen be a better set up.....really need help before I finalize the order for the motors and hulls.....can everybody please put their imput here for me .....Thanks...Garth
Old 03-01-2009, 02:54 PM
nieto1124
My Feedback: (14)

CR wont be needed on the 84" hull. the V hull will run just fine especially with rudders behind each prop. the smaller 57" hull wont be better off with CR either. it a matter of preference and $ . both hulls will run well even if you dont cr. out the transom with the cables is fine.

I am assuming when u say the "rudders are behind the wheels" (like the bonzi or WHH drive are). if so dont worry about CR. If it were a cat, my answer would be different.

the single big motor would be an option. 14 hp to a gear and then to the drives. dont know how that compares to the $ being spent on the twins.

30 to 33% on the CG
Old 03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
dr drip

I am a dealer for wharehouse hobbies and can get his in-lines very reasonable with my discount.....how are the mhz gearboxes...he has both types...do they stand up to the power of the inline twin
Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 PM
FlogginHarvey

There was a great build over on Jims of a 56/57" Apache with twin, couter-rotating (flipped jug maybe) QD's. Quite a build and aquite a boat.

I am wokring on a "rebuild project" with this drive and I think the workmanship is quite over the top...some call it a "steerabel strut."

Nieto, I always thought the DeepVees were really the boats that needed the CR and Cats were more "okay" without CR? Not necessarily a challenge, more a question from what I have seen and read on this and other forums for twin engine/twin drive boats.

WD200 also makes a clutch/gear drive combo that I have not tried yet but am VERY intrigued about. Very simple and compact.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52766.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1147986  
Old 03-01-2009, 06:35 PM
dr drip

I have been looking at these for a while....euro sucks to our canadian coins....like the ones that chris did a few years ago....capricorn...trying to find him...could use 4-6 of them.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:35 PM
nieto1124

harvey it all depend on preference. i like to run around and enjoy the sacle look of the hull. so i realy dont need the things to turn tight. some guys just get started on the CR kick and go crazy counter rotating engines and shafts and props. at the end of the day it all depends on where the turning surface (rudder ) is. Dr drip has explained that he will use stock Bonzi or WHH hobbies strut -rudder set up. so the rudder will be right behind the trust. a boat set up this way will turn in either direction as the rudders will direct the trust into the turn. if you had a cat with this same set up the same applies.

my 60 cat has same rotation engines and runs fine. but with a small rudder in the middle it likes to follow the engines torque into a turn. so its a little sloppy on the left turns unless i back off the throttle. example: JT's apache "running brave" has been dialed in and he is not counterrotating. that boat is sweeter than "godiva". I think Ross Medina also set up a twin that was "scootin" it too did not CR.

my twin vees could care less about the CR. so i quess it would be a matter of opinion and preference.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: dr drip

I have been looking at these for a while....euro sucks to our canadian coins....like the ones that chris did a few years ago....capricorn...trying to find him...could use 4-6 of them.
I actually have two of these in surprisingly wonderful shape. The paint is wonderful and stub shafts are there with drive dogs and prop nuts!

Email me at [email protected] if you are curious.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 PM
nieto1124

doc , hear a couple of videos to get yourheart pumpin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxxkONe5vY0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nRB1aXkv5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFI6zZsLUCM

nice!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
FlogginHarvey

Fun links, Nieto.

Dr D, I actually have a pair of those Capricorn drives/struts. Was playing with the idea of a twin setup down the road a bit. If you need them let me know, we might be able to work somthing out... Shoot me an email if you are curious. Tprice AT villagemarina DOT com.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:15 PM
dr drip

AlRight............the 56" aero-marine hull has arrived....I have all the running gear and ready to start the build......been in the car scene for a long while, now back to boats.....any help would be appreciated.....what is a good starting point for cg, I though I had the list how to begin from the forums here....misplaced it....can any one help? Garth