Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Deep V hull help

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Deep V hull help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:55 PM
ramrod18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep V hull help

hi guys
i have a stock zenoah g260pum and i am looking for a hull for it. i want to build a boat that can handle a bad chop, i have been looking around for a hull and i came across the bonzi sport 64" fountain but i think its to big for a stock zenoah. On the bonzi sport website i noticed that the RTR version of this hull comes with a stock zenoah but I'm not sure how fast it is. (does anyone know?) I am not looking for to much speed because of the water conditions where i live, i really want a solid boat that can handle rough sea conditions. Can anyone give me more information on the RTR version of the 64" fountain? and could anyone recommend another hull that is good in rough water conditions that would work well with a stock zenoah.

any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 10:17 PM
dicko

Default RE: Deep V hull help

Try the Warehouse hobbies line of boats, better value for money & a better size for a stock Zen.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:23 PM
apache 56

56 inch apache , apache, apache , you will never reget it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84588.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1235034  
Old 07-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

AC Model Boats Lazer 45, the best rough water mono that I've seen. Yes, it's small but I've seen them run wide open in water that most wouldn't think of throwing their boats into.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:33 PM
jworm49

Hi Ron I remember you responded to a question I had once about looking for a stable hull. I looked at the Lazer 45 but on the web site the pages seem to be wrong. The description of the Lazer 45 is in the Colum for the Rebel 45. Also do you know if the 45 means that it is 45†long. I’m trying to decide between this hull the Bonzi 50 or Aeromarine XXX outer limits. When I do buy I’ll be looking for a hull hardware combo or at least to get hardware designed for that hull. Also I’m new to the hobby and this would be my first build so plans and customer support would be a big thing for me. I have dealt with Bonzi and there support is awesome. I like there hulls and running gear also. I like the outer limits looks the best of the three but Aero's site is not real good, the pictures aren’t to good but from what I can tell the running gear looks a little cheese. I know there hulls are very good so I doubt they would have cheap running gear. Maybe the pictures just don’t really show it well enough. Although I don’t like the Laser’s looks as well as the others assuming I was looking at the right picture In the end the performance of the boat is what matters the most to me I also have to run mostly in lakes with waters than can get a little rough so looks would be second to stability. Once again thank you for the advice it is much appreciated.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:20 PM
jworm49

Hi Ram rod I found your post interesting I am in a similar situation as your self. You can read my reply to Ron below but something I forgot to mention in that reply is that the New Express Craft C54 looks like a nice hull and cheap $250.00 I think. There is a review of it on this site check it out.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:15 PM
jworm49

Hi Ron sorry I forgot to mention in my reply that I also looked at the WHH team pro and the Expresscraft C54. It's nice there are lots of quality hulls to chose from but tough to make a choice. Plus nobody in my area is into boats which makes my chances of seeing any of them in person slim.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:19 PM
MrMikeG

The "Quality of hulls" from the above mentioned brands of boats is all over the place. If your going to be wave jumping make sure you get a boat that isn't going to come apart.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:10 PM
ramrod18

hi guys
as of right now i am leaning towards the Express Craft C54 i looked up a few videos and read that review and from what i can tell it looks like a solid hull.
Thanks for the help
Ram
Old 07-13-2009, 05:16 PM
bondobuster

Check out these, They are extremely well built www.firststatecomposites.com I own one and it is tough for those "swell" days.......
Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Dana W

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The Marquis is a pretty tough hull .
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8754971/tm.htm
Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd ask around about Expresscraft boats as what I've seen, they need some work done on the hulls as opposed to Aeromarine or WHH boats.
I picked up a Lazer 45 earlier this year and it's only been in the water a couple of times. It seems to be more of a rough water boat as it is running really wet in the normally calm stuff that I run in. I'm getting ready to move the CG further back to get mine a little looser.

Name:	Bz77766.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1235882  
Old 07-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Nosedragger

For rough water or wake jumping there are 3 things you want so the boat won't come apart or not end up spider cracked all over.
1 full length rails
2 deck brace
3 taped deck/hull joint

If you don't get all 3 in the hull you are looking at, be prepared to add them yourself.The bigger (longer) the hull the more flex it will have on the deck/hull joint and hull bottom,so the more critical it is to have it reinforced.A 20 pound 56"+ boat will destroy itself in an afternoon of wake jumping.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM
jworm49

Hey man just wondering do you have a link to any place that sells Viper hulls?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: jworm49

Hey man just wondering do you have a link to any place that sells Viper hulls?
Viper hulls are Made in Qld Australia - shipping would be painful to NH. If your considering a 56" apache like Vipers you only have to go so far as the Aeromarine 56" apache which is going to be near identical and easier for shipping.

Aeromarines quality has been a benchmark for the hobby for years. I loved the 56" Aeromarine apache I had and have been kicking myself for selling her. I have seen 56's running stock zens and they move very well.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:53 PM
jworm49

J.A.W thank you I'm not so much interested in an Apache just wanted to check out the Viper hulls since I haven't herd of them. But as you said I'm sure the shipping would be pretty steep. Even being new to the hobby I have only herd good things about Aero's hulls. I assume that they would not put cheap running gear on there hulls it's just that compared to the pics I've seen on other sites there's didn't look so good. As I said before though this could very well just be a case of poor pictures on the site. I should also mention that I'm looking to build a new boat using parts from a boat I bought on Ebay. So what ever hull I end up with I'll need running gear,Radio box, prop and I’m sure I’ll find some other things as I learn more. I will you the motor from my current boat (stock ZEN 260) as well as the radio and servos (spectrum DX3) standard throttle servo and a high torque for the rudder. As always a big thank You to everyone for all of your help and advice.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:27 PM
t00fatt

If your looking to handle extremely large waves, than I would look at the Magnum 57 over the Apache 56. I had my magnum jumping 1 foot waves over a couple of days without a single flip. She can take large swells from boats standing still without getting swamped. The magnum is layed up real thick, and has long half inch stringers which really keeps the boat together after some serious wave jumping. So if you care more about large wave handling than looks I would go for the magnum. The Apache is a real nice hull though, my friend has his 60" running 47mph with a M5 and a clutch. It is more to scale than the areomarine though, so it has a narrower beam but still handles rough water very well.

Name:	Ol31708.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1236366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76967.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1236367  
Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 PM
jworm49

Thanks man I like the Magnum 57 seven but I was wondering is it too big for a stock zen? what kind of speeds do you think I could get out of it?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 PM
t00fatt

A stock zen with a dry tuned pipe should be over 35 mph. I'm getting 38-40mph with a M5 and a wet tuned exhaust, but I feel that my M5 with a wet tuned is not making much more power than a stock on a dry tuned pipe. My friend has his M5 with a dry tuned pushing his 60" apache to 47 mph. So I hope that when I switch to a dry pipe I will be close to 45 mph with my M5. But if your going to be playing in big water, even 30mph is plenty fast. You can also get the boat to run very dry and loose in calm water to gain some speed. If you want to go fast with either the magnum or the apache, I would spend the $60 and get your motor modded by Tony at WHH, the M5 is a strong motor. Or you can just spend $100 on the M5 Kit install it yourself, and have your stock jug and piston as spares. Both hulls are a good choice, if you like the scale look than go for the apche, if you want an all out wave basher than I think the magnum is a perfect choice.

EDIT: Also I have only tried the 275 prop that came with the boat, will be trying a 7016/3 and 6717/3 prop this weekend. The 6717/3 prop is what my friend has pushing his apache to 47mph.

Also I have been running my magnum regularly for the past 7 months, and I have yet to flip her once. And you can ask cheesewizz, I damn sure have tried.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 AM
monsterbrad

The WHH Team Pro is an awesome boat also.
It will take a beating and pretty descent waves also.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 AM
jworm49

Thanks for the imput man. I'm not really trying to be out there jumping wave I just want a hull that can handle some chop since were I run I will run into it. I just assumed the larger the hull the better it would handle it. Also 40MPH is fast to me being new to this hobby.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:06 PM
cheesewizz69

Trust me toofatt has tried to everthing he can to flip the Mangnum she just wants no part of that.

It is one of the most stable boats I have seen at our lake. Sure there are faster boats but when toofatt has to bring her back to shore she is doing it under her own power. That can not be said for some of the other boats the spend more time on the shore or bottoms up in the middle of the lake.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:12 PM
jworm49

That sounds good to me man. I'm not that good of a driver yet so stable is good. I'm wondering though with a moded Zen or some other mod motor is it possible to get the Mag 57 up around 50-55MPH? For some reason I have that speed stuck in my head. If so what kid of mods would I be looking at to hit those speeds.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:47 PM
t00fatt

A full mod motor and a nice pipe will push it to that speed range. The hull will definitely handle at that speed, it may start getting squirrely once you past 55 mph though. This hull wasn't designed to do such speeds, but it should handle them just fine. That's a big investment for small speed gains, if you want to go fast your better off getting a smaller hull. This hobby is very addicting, and you will have another boat within a year. So keep that in mind. Right now I have my magnum for those real rough days and taking out on the bay, and I have my silex for those days I want to go fast and get some thrill.

Although a mid mod M5 motor with a nice pipe will have you in the 45 mph range, which is plenty fast for a beginner. Than when you want to really step it up, look for a deal on a smaller boat or even a race boat yo play with. Having two boats on both sides of the spectrum is real nice.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:05 PM
FlogginHarvey

I just went through the same process personally and here is where my info and help (opinions) took me. Performance and all out rough water performance was pretty much the hot points because I run on VERY VERY VREY rough water and I wanted a somewhat scale looking boat when all said and done:

45-50" deepvee, stock Zen or similar powerplant, strut or stinger with offset rudder, turn fins, and tabs...

The AC and Aeromarine XXX are both on the same hull and both very respectable full-out race boats. Handle chop extremely well and in the 40-45mph range with stock power. Rico also makes a race mono 49" +/- Offshore hull and the "Offshore Classic" is a deeper vee than the newer "Offshore 2008." The Rico 2008 is less setup sensative and will do a bit better with "stock" power.

I chose the RCMK motor and went with the Rico Classic Offshore with Speedmaster Stinger, 6" rudder standoff and dual water pickup rudder, four tabs (two each side is how the heat racers set them up) and two turn fins (big on right size and medium on left, again like the offshore heat races setups). Rough water and the Classic are like peanutbutter and jelly...

Bigger is usually better but lugging around a 56" boat and finding a place to put it can be a chore...

Have fun and do what you think looks good...for sport boating the Aeromarine apaches, Expresscraft C54, WHH lineup, and the firstsatecomposite (ie Dreaminhemi baots) are all VERY tough to beat. If you want to dial it in and be a competitive racer later then the AC Lazer/Razor, Aeromarine XXX, or Rico Offshore Classic/2008 are great contenders...

That's my $.02 and that is about all it is worth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.