Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

***My first 46 Custom Gasser with PICS and VIDS***

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

***My first 46 Custom Gasser with PICS and VIDS***

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:36 PM
exotica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ***My first 46 Custom Gasser with PICS and VIDS***

ORIGINAL: chevypower1930

I'm a plane guy but that's going to he a sick boat. Haha keep it going buddy I'll be following

...thanks Chevy. Im hoping that I achieve what I have set out to do.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would love to see video
Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 AM
scooter666

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Hi mate just for the next one you might want to consider a ferrule setup to join the flex to stub if your going to use a square ended flex.The ferrule stops the flex and shaft sliding out of the boat also but because it uses grub screws to attach the ferrule to the stub its easy to remove as you just loosen the grub screws and everything can come out easy .The flex is soldered into the ferrule using silver solder.
Mart
Mart...How does this setup work on a hydro or cat ??????
I ask because my stuffing tube is inserted into the front of the strut !!!!!!
Does any one have any pics of this setup on a cat....

Cheers Scoot
Old 07-05-2010, 01:57 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually thats a good point you would need to use a thicker tube that would support the flex tube better as it isnt going into the strut.My mate used a larger diam thick walled tube glassed in for the brass one to fit inside,seemed to work ok but yes on a cat or hydro probably the best way is as you say to have the tube enter the strut and use a welded flex and shaft setup with a round collet which is what i use.Heres a pic of it its a larger diam thick walled tube ,very stiff so wont bend easy thats for sure it still has whats left of his old brass tube in there also.
Mart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44140.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1463251  
Old 07-05-2010, 04:19 AM
scooter666

Thanx for that Mart, Damm, i thought we were on a winner...nevermind thou.
Thanx for the reply..I wish we could use a ferrul set up on a cat, as it wood get rid of a few old squre flexis that i have laying around.

Cheers Scoot

Any progress today Exotica?????????
Old 07-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Dreamin Hemi

For whatever it's worth, here is one of the build threads I made last year. May clarify something...maybe. www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp
Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 AM
exotica

...another productive day. The new paint is now all finished with the bottom of the hull last to be painted.
A little time under the lamps and then time to transport her back to home.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 AM
exotica

...now that shes home its time to start putting her all back together. Hardware first to enable me to then
set up and install the new drive train I made. Then place the new Zen into the hull and take some measurements
to manufacture some new engine rails to run along the stringers. This in theory should spread the load across
the entire stringers.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:28 AM
exotica

...im now starting to see progress. With the new custom engine rails installed and the motor mounted, shes not far off now.
Driveline shortened, stuffing tube and drive train in place,extra floatation added,strut and rudder installedand no onto the electrics.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Looking good!  I do like that engine mount,
Old 07-06-2010, 06:18 AM
martno1fan

Looks very nice good job .
Try if you can the get her to balance on or just a tad behind the sponson transoms.I have a feeling these balance too far back when they come rtr but you might be ok with the new powerplant as its probably lighter?.You might have bettter performance if you can get it to balance better than they come from the factory especially with the extra power you have .Looks like its coming together niceley keep the pics coming.The only thing i see thats not usual is the use of a clutch as hydros need launching with some revs to get em up and running or they will just plow water and submarine.
Mart
Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 AM
exotica

...thanks Hemi and Mart. Yes the COG has beenshifted forward to approx 470mm from the rear transom
bringing it very close to the front sponsons transoms, (no fuel) This should improve its handling a great deal
better than what it was RTR, if you can call it that, lol.

Thanks for the heads up Mart regarding the clutch. It wasnt really an issue with the standard motor
once it got up on plane as it skated over the water nicely, just not fast enough.Im hoping that with the
extra power, it gets there quicker. Overall this build should end up being at least half a kilo lighter which in turn
should give me a little extra speed on the straights. Most if not all of the original steel component have been
either replaced or new ones made using lighter weight materials.

Ive posted another thread asking for some advice on props for hydros but ive had no replies as yet. From what
I read the Octura X670 seems like a good choice. Still trying to obtain some figures on just how much its going to
make the Zen rev out to safely to avoid any damage. Some advice on this area would be greatly appreciated.

What speeds and RPM should I be expecting with an Octura X670 spun by a crisp new ZenG260
in a 46" hydro weighing approx 7kgs? ...and is this prop safe to use??

cheers,
Kosta.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 AM
martno1fan

Not sure what best prop for this hull would be but usually on hydros you want a lifting prop ,i think the x series props are low lift more for monos but could be wrong lol ?.A good starting point for a stock zen id think might be something like the 7016/2 which is what they advise for the zipp T boats another one is the 6518/3 and the 6717/3 which was my favourite prop on mine but i was running a full mod zen.
Mart
Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM
exotica

...the 6518/3 and 6717/3 are 65 & 67mm dia props.

They would be okay to run on a stock Zen?

Not going to work the motors RPM to an unsafe level?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:26 PM
martno1fan

Yes theyre also 3 blade props which makes a diference over a same diam prop with 2 blades,as i say these are the props many people seem to use on hydros and if its recomended by Joe at zippkits to try them its good enough for me.As i say ive ran the 6717/3 on a hydro with a full mod and also on a mono with a stock zenoah and it worked well on both.
Mart
Old 07-06-2010, 05:40 PM
martno1fan

By the way if you check out Jims boat dock you might find quicker answers to your questions as theres more guys on there running hydros .
Mart
Old 07-06-2010, 06:42 PM
exotica

...thanks Mart.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 PM
exotica

...and a pic with the cowl on. Shes coming together slowly and it looks like im going to have to modify
the cowl to allow the clean air to be sucked by the carby.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:52 AM
martno1fan

Looks good,just be carefull when venting for the carb as you dont want water also been sucked in by the carb.One way to overcome that is to use a carb shield over the carb like the rigger guys use or make some kind of air dam to force the air and any water directly down into the hull this lets air get to carb but stops any water that gets ,well thats the idea anyways lol.A friend of mine used to use old nitro fuel tanks cut to fit over his carb in his cats and riggers,maybe he will chime in "Brian "?.If he doesnt ill see if i can find a pic .
Mart
ps nice fathers day card on the wall
Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 AM
exotica

...thanks for the heads up on the carb/water issue. I cut away some of the top deck to allow for the intake to protrude out from the cowl. Im hoping that I can make it work the way im intending without worrying about water being sucked into the carby. Im guessing water mist aint really a huge problem, after all it is a boat, lol. Yeah the fathers day card is sweet, Ive got three kids so plenty of colorful drawings around the place. Ive finally tracked down some 3/4inch high temp silicone elbows today so im hopefull the exhaust will be mounted tonight and finished off. Very minor things left to do now.

There have been a few challenges and many many hours worth of work gone into this hull modification and update. Once its gone for its maiden cruise on the water I will then toy with the idea of adding a little more glass along the stringers for that little added strength. Please let her do at least 40-45mph. LOL I do have confidence in the ZEN.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:26 AM
martno1fan

If you have the carb exposed you WILL need a carb shield as it will suck water in for sure,if you watch how water gets thrown up by these hydros when turning at speed you will soon see why.Water mist is water so it will kill the motor if sucked into the carb.
Mart
Old 07-08-2010, 02:00 AM
gtdad

Hard to tell by the pics, but if there is no rubber isolators on your mounts (from motor to stringer), then you may want to look into this. The rubber takes the vibrations out and will keep your hardware less likely to come loose, and also noise frequency may become a factor with your tx/rx........keep up the good work. Also, you may want to make sure all your running surfaces are sharp and crisp after being painted...worth 5 mph on my AM Sprint Cat.

One more thing, if you buy these suggested props and your stock zen won't turn them, you can mod them by bar cutting or back cutting them to get more release and get the motor on the pipe easier.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:44 AM
ricmcm

Hey Kos,
We are we going to hit the water
Cheers,
Richo
Old 07-08-2010, 05:49 AM
exotica

ORIGINAL: gtdad

Hard to tell by the pics, but if there is no rubber isolators on your mounts (from motor to stringer), then you may want to look into this. The rubber takes the vibrations out and will keep your hardware less likely to come loose, and also noise frequency may become a factor with your tx/rx........keep up the good work. Also, you may want to make sure all your running surfaces are sharp and crisp after being painted...worth 5 mph on my AM Sprint Cat.

One more thing, if you buy these suggested props and your stock zen won't turn them, you can mod them by bar cutting or back cutting them to get more release and get the motor on the pipe easier.

Hi mate, thanks for theencouragement andyes there are rubber isolators on the engine mount. They are on the quick release part
whichdetaches along with the motor.As for prop modding mate im going to have to look into that one as I would hate to ruin a prop,
im guessin it would be better for me to buy them unless someone can show me how.

Im running a Sanwa M11x and RX and im confident this high end radio is not going to give me any issues.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 AM
exotica

ORIGINAL: ricmcm

Hey Kos,
We are we going to hit the water
Cheers,
Richo

Hey mate, well im hoping that it will be ready this weekend!!! Just finished installing the pipe tonight and changing
a few things around to suit. Managed to also track down that elusive 90ged 3/4inch silicone hose and had to
modify the new exhaust mount I bought. Im guessing your gonna want one as well as the blingy pull start lol.

BTW, forum members, Richo is a friend on mine who also has a modded RTR that ive modified for him. He
might wanna post some pics up of it in this thread also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.