Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Need hull help

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Need hull help

Old 04-18-2004, 04:27 AM
petry75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need hull help

I am building my first hull ( deep vee ) . I have an O.S .32 SXMX engine. I don't know the max. weight my hull could weigh to make it go around 30 mph. If anybody could help me with this one I would appreciate your response.

Thanks.
Pete
Old 04-18-2004, 09:52 AM
pompebled

Default RE: Need hull help

Hi Pete,

What size is the hull you're building?

In general a deep vee should be as light as possible, my scratch built shallow V hull (110 cm) weighs just under 900 grammes, it has not been covered in glass and epoxy resin yet.

Greetings, Jan.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Go with a hull at or around 30". This motor is not a powerhouse but 30 MPH should be no trouble. Look for a lightweight .21 hull.
Alright, another Michigan boater! I've never been that far North but have heard of that City for the huge car show that you have up there every year.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:44 PM
petry75

Thanks for the info.
You got the right city for the crazy auto show Ron. It's so big it's out of control.
for my hull-the info really helps because I didn't want to go below 30". I have a friend helping me with this--I'm not very good with fiberglass so it should be a learning experience.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Ron Olson

If you want to go scratch built or from plans, try out the Wild Thing from www.rcstore.com .
I'm South of you a ways, down in Kalamazoo, home of the NSRA Street Rod Nationals North for many years now so I know what it's kind of like. One of the biggest gathering of Rods short of the Nationals, averaging over 3,400 a year.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:09 PM
petry75

Ron-

I checked out the wild thing. What do you cover the balsa with besides paint?
Old 04-18-2004, 08:31 PM
petry75

What my plan is, is to take my o.s. engine, fuel tank, reciever, and servos out of my 42" jet stream 1000 and put them in a different hull. I decided that I would like trying to build one because I don't like the abs plastic hull of the jet stream, and I don't like the outdrive rudder on it. The plastic rudder melts where the rudder shaft runs through it.I have replaced the bushings with bearings, and did tons of adjustments to it, But it keeps melting it. Once it melts the rudder shaft vibrates which has caused lots of problems. This boat also doesn't turn right very well.

Thanks,

Pete
Old 04-19-2004, 04:45 AM
Ron Olson

A thin coating of epoxy will seal the wood. A trick to do it is to lay some on with a squeegee then wipe off any excess with a paper towel. I've done it and it works very well.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:15 AM
pompebled

If you want some extra strenght, add a light layer of glass silk, or if your hull has no concave surfaces, cover it with a panty hose and epoxy it.

Greetings, Jan.