Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:41 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

YEA AND ANOTHER 200 FOR BATTERIES TO HEAR IT GO WISSSSS ACROSS THE WATER, NITRO IT'S WHATS FOR BREAKFAST!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Toycollector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the speedy replies.

I am going to try and find some time to make the fixes you guys mention, and will see what happens.

I have to admit though its sort of frustrating at times, and hopefully it gets better.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:06 AM
robwest

Can someone post a picture on where to place the pressure fitting. (On the fat part. Before or after the widest part?) It would be much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Drmeff

right at the fattest part

I dont have a pic right now but it is pretty self-explanitory
Old 04-24-2007, 02:03 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: robwest

Can someone post a picture on where to place the pressure fitting. (On the fat part. Before or after the widest part?) It would be much appreciated.
There's a description and pictures here: http://macspro.com/pressure.asp
Old 04-24-2007, 06:14 PM
robwest

Thanks for the imput it helps
Old 04-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Toycollector

So would the general consensus be to put a new nipple in the fat part of the pipe rather than bothering to mess with making the current one work or stay tight etc?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: Toycollector

So would the general consensus be to put a new nipple in the fat part of the pipe rather than bothering to mess with making the current one work or stay tight etc?

just move it to the pipe and u'll have no probs from then....[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Toycollector

ORIGINAL: PCnmbr1

yes I have a clamp on my fuel cap . When I get problem like your I start at the begining! GOOD LUCK
I noticed this while I was re reading the post, and am now wondering if there are common problems with the fuel cap too

There has been small amounts of fuel under the tank that have nearly stopped completely since I tie wrapped them, but I have not seen anything on the top of the tank at all. Would this lead to the cap being OK?

Another thing that is a real pain is how the gel and glass layup on the proboats is so easilly eaten up by nitro. I have not had problems with mine, but have made reapairs to a friends SW36 hull where the nitro turned a good couple inches into jelly. I have tried a couple different paints with poor results, and am currently experimenting with a waterproof fiberglass filler that I use for repairs etc by just laying it down very thin and sanding it, but its a real pain in the buttt.

Has anyone found something that works and is easy to apply?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Hesco Racing

Toycollector

Chuck that tank man. It picksup a leak on the seam line. I replaced mine with a DuBro tank which I mounted in the cavity next to the motor. No more leaks.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:04 PM
robwest

I am thinking about painting my boat and I have no clue on what type of paint to use and where I can get it from. Any help would be great.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:38 PM
mike foster

I just painted my boat, used tamia paints they are not nitro proof just dont spill nitro on it.
had it on the water this weekend sorted my problems with the motor and she is running sweet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52044.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	671942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83234.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	671943  
Old 04-25-2007, 01:07 PM
muvoxt

Hello,

I need to cool the mainfold of my boat, he warm up very much after run. I don't know to do for cool it. I have seen a coil, but I don't know how make it, and I'm looking for other system.

Thanks very much!!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:31 PM
4wheelinrevo

ORIGINAL: muvoxt

Hello,

I need to cool the mainfold of my boat, he warm up very much after run. I don't know to do for cool it. I have seen a coil, but I don't know how make it, and I'm looking for other system.

Thanks very much!!

go to harware store and get small cooper tubing.

then take the water OUTLET fromt he engine head and attach it to the copper tubbing, then takt the copper tubbing then wrap it around like a yo-yo around the manifold, afte about 4 times of wrapping it cut the excess off and attach the water line tot hat then run it tot he side of the boat where the water exits.

thats it, shouldnt cost more then a few $'s
Old 04-25-2007, 02:37 PM
4wheelinrevo

Well i just ordered a O.S. .30 EB modded engine for my revo truck and the axial .28 in there is going in a new home.......my TC31

ill post some pics of it when im done, shouldnt be real hard to do really, just cut the SG crank down i have a nice flywheel for it and the collet will be able to screw on it just fine.

im going to have to do a few test runs to see if the engine head stays cool, i think it will because the axial is a cool running engine in general, but i will probably widden the 2 holes in the top out a bit and also cut an exit hole in the rear, that will help air flow alot. i will also rig up a little copper tubing to go inbetween the fins of the engine.

should be a good improvement over the dynamite .32
Old 04-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Drmeff

certainly should be a great improvement! Keep track of your mod, I would love to see pics!
Old 04-25-2007, 04:24 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: 4wheelinrevo

Well i just ordered a O.S. .30 EB modded engine for my revo truck and the axial .28 in there is going in a new home.......my TC31

ill post some pics of it when im done, shouldnt be real hard to do really, just cut the SG crank down i have a nice flywheel for it and the collet will be able to screw on it just fine.

im going to have to do a few test runs to see if the engine head stays cool, i think it will because the axial is a cool running engine in general, but i will probably widden the 2 holes in the top out a bit and also cut an exit hole in the rear, that will help air flow alot. i will also rig up a little copper tubing to go inbetween the fins of the engine.

should be a good improvement over the dynamite .32

looking forward to see the mod[8D]...

i will consider it a good mod if boat will run mid 40's up to 50's easily coz stock dynamite .32 push low 40's...but we don't know yet until u've done it.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:05 AM
fun4ej
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy All,

Just got a used 1 yr old TC31 yesterday...less than a gallon run through it. I worked the bugs out of the motor and ran it today....Man! What a blast this boat is! I did however have a good scare though...the boat took a small jet ski wake and decided to get it's hair wet. It completely submerged and popped back up. To my surprise, the motor was still running and it was able to plow it's way back to shore with the nose pointing up about 30deg. I would guess that there was about 1.5 to 2 quarts of water inside the hull. Has anyone sealed up their hatch intakes to prevent the torrent of water entering the hull in the case of a submersion?

I also read somewhere in this thread that you guys are putting fuel tanks in the sponsons to bring the COG closer to the transom. Anyone have pics of these mods or any info on what tanks you are using? I briefly looked for some but i go cross-eyed trying to browse through 54 pages of this thread.

And one more thing...my motor is not very responsive to low rpm throttle movements. The motor will maintain rpms for a second after the throttle servo returns to it's neutral position, and I have to give it slow throttle increase from idle to keep the motor running. My HSN is about 1-1.5 turns lean from stock recommendations and my LSN is about .5 to 1 turn from completely closed...if they go any richer, the boat will show a decrease in performance or will flood and not start. The boat runs great at speed but these needle settings seem pretty lean to me...but the motor acts as if it is running rich on the LSN...Any thoughts?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:46 PM
rozzibandit

Well I ran 2 tanks through my TC31 today. First time I ran it. it now has a total of 5 tanks through it. It ran fine after a bit of tuning and cleaning the carb. Was not as fast as I hoped it would be but I still have alot of things I can do to it.

So which prop is the best one ( the conscensus here ). The flex shaft held up just fine and I beat it a little bit to see if it was going to hold up. I need more speed for sure out of it.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:04 PM
gooycheese

I am using a M445 prop, there are some other props people use I am not exactly sure what they are

Paul
Old 04-29-2007, 09:20 PM
rozzibandit

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

I am using a M445 prop, there are some other props people use I am not exactly sure what they are

Paul
That is what I gathered from 2 day full days of reading. I will order it. My local HS has a prather 230, to big right?

What prop balancer are you guys using ?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:26 PM
gooycheese

Yes the 230 is too big, I am using a dubro balancer there are alot better but its pretty basic principal and it seams to work for me. Be prepared to spend a few hours sharpening and balancing your prop.

Paul
Old 04-29-2007, 09:36 PM
rozzibandit

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

Yes the 230 is too big, I am using a dubro balancer there are alot better but its pretty basic principal and it seams to work for me. Be prepared to spend a few hours sharpening and balancing your prop.

Paul
O h I hear ya there. Balancing is extremely important.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Drmeff

I use the top flight balancer, works good! I just got back from trying out my modded x440 (tongue removal) and it REALLY improved that prop for me. I didnt use that prop all that much because it just didnt seem to hook up all that well, but it is now my favorite!
Old 04-29-2007, 10:36 PM
rozzibandit

It would be sweet if there was a way to manually adjust trim as your moving like on a real boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.