Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:09 PM
dan.revo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

ok guys. took the boat out today to see if it was going to run this time. ran great. it went faster than it ever has before. i cut all the lines by 1/4 in and put them back on. i think it did the trick.
thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Drmeff

ORIGINAL: rozzibandit

It would be sweet if there was a way to manually adjust trim as your moving like on a real boat.
Like this? Go to the bottom of the page and watch the quicktime vid. You just need adjustable stingers, I dont think there is anyway you could make it work on a TC

[link=http://www.topsecretboats.com/photos]adjustable trim[/link]

Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM
rozzibandit
My Feedback: (1)

What are some good upgrades I can put on the tc31 besides a prop. I know what I am going with for the prop. Inline rudder? Breakaway rudder? a different drive system?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:05 PM
rozzibandit

ORIGINAL: robwest

I am thinking about painting my boat and I have no clue on what type of paint to use and where I can get it from. Any help would be great.
There is paint made that is called "Tough Paint" or something like that. It is designed specifically to hold up to nitro fuel spills.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Drmeff

The drive system is fine, but I think you could benefit from some nicer hardware.... look at some fullers or speedmaster hardware for nitro cats, that should make it a bit nicer to drive.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:07 PM
remyredjo

Well....

Last weekend i blew up my Dynamite .32 engine in my thundercat after running it for 4 months the rod got damage and made a hole in the crankcase
The end for this dynamite .32 engine

Can anybody give me their apinion of putting an 7.5 cc/ .46 inboard engine in the thundercat ....
I was thinking abouth putting in the .46 mecoa marine engine rated @ 1.75 HP at 25000 rpm

should go much faster in the TC31 are not ??

anybody did a 7.5cc in their TC31

i just installed my octura m445 but did not enjoy it because of a blown engine
please advice
Old 04-30-2007, 08:25 PM
rozzibandit

Well I installed my first flex shaft. The one that was in there when I got was on it's way out. Sounded very rough in the "packing tube?". Sure enough a few braids were cracked loose down where the solid part starts. This is how I did it. Pulled the other shaft out tokk off the hardware. I then screwd the prop nut down till it stoppe. I then put on the prop , drive dog then plastic washer. I greased the heck out of it with prather waterproof cable grease and stuffed it back up in there. I left aproximately a quarter inch for movement. The only thing bothering me is there seems to be a few more threads showing behind the prop nut than the last shaft. This is a prather flex shaft I put in.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:44 AM
gooycheese

Last Night I took my tc31 out for the first time really all year. I have done a few different things to it since the last time it ran, but it ran pretty good. It did wanna hesitate a little on the starts, not cavitate. Need to do some more carb adjusting I guess.

Paul

p.s. the few extra threads past the prop are ok, if you wanted you could remove them but otherwise they are fine.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:35 AM
rozzibandit

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

Last Night I took my tc31 out for the first time really all year. I have done a few different things to it since the last time it ran, but it ran pretty good. It did wanna hesitate a little on the starts, not cavitate. Need to do some more carb adjusting I guess.

Paul

p.s. the few extra threads past the prop are ok, if you wanted you could remove them but otherwise they are fine.
Ok gooycheese, thanks I just was not sure and like to be sure before I act, ya know.

This motor tuned right in nicely for me. I will most likely have to retune after I ported and polished the pipe etc. I am nonstop tuning on everyting nitro I own except my raptor 90se's OS .91 C-Spec with perry pump. That motor is amazing for power and consistency.
The thing that has me hooked on boats now is you can build a 100mph machine and have a lot less chance of crashing it than my 4000 dollar helis. Which have all went down one time or another.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Hesco Racing

Rozzibandit

The extra few threads behind the nut is very important. From the way you talk it seems you have not put in the most important part of your prop assembly.
Here goes. dog drive then prop then short piece of silicone tubing then nut. The short piece of tubing should be short enough to allow the nut to seat fully but long enough so that your prop can move back off the dog in the event of hitting something in the water. Best thing to save a prop.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:41 PM
rozzibandit

I see what your saying with the tubing. Pretty fine line on to long and to short eh? Do you have any problems with the prop coming off from just plain torque?
I guess I don't fully see how that will work. I don't doubt you. Just that it seems the nut would hold the prop to the dog regardless.
Has alot to do with where you set the dof itself on the flat part of the shaft.

You have any pictures for me. I am giving it a go as we speak.

Just got back from running it after matching the header to the exhaust and it did seem a bit more responsive and maybe a hair faster. Perfect chop today. Steering servo seems pretty weak to at speed.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 PM
gooycheese

If you are turning at speed you are pretty gutsy, when I at speed I am afraid of flipping trying to turn.

Paul

p.s. The piece of rubber tubing on the propshaft is a personal preference thing it is not done by everyone.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Drmeff

I do big arches at WOT, but turning hard at full speed is out of the question.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:45 PM
rozzibandit

LOL, I don't crank it when it is up to full speed but it will turn harder than you think. Or it turned harder than I thought it would for how fast it was going. This boat is running quite smoothly for me I have not had a single problem "YET". I took a bit of time to go through the whole boat and make sure everything was all in place and it looks to have paid off so far.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 PM
gooycheese

Check with a gps or a radar see what kinda speed you are getting

Paul
Old 05-03-2007, 07:03 AM
1badmaro

Me and my son just ordered one hope to have it by Friday so we can go to the lake on Sunday for break in any of you have any tips lol?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
robwest

When I got mine the low speed needle was way off. It will probably need to be leaned up quite a bit. That was the only reason I was having a hard time starting it.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 PM
1badmaro

Ok thanks for the info Ill check the ls when i get it. how fast can we expect this thing to go after break in?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:54 PM
rozzibandit

ORIGINAL: 1badmaro

Me and my son just ordered one hope to have it by Friday so we can go to the lake on Sunday for break in any of you have any tips lol?
Go throught the whole boat and check all connections and make sure all nuts and bolts are tightened and loctite applied where needed. Check the alignment of your motor to packing tube/flexshaft. Also make sure you have a 1/4 inch between the drive dog/prop to the lower unit piece. Whatever it's called, lol. Make sure your needle settings are correct on the carb so it will not stall out in the lake on you.
Other than that..?
I have had no problems with mine as of yet. I believe all because of putting in some extra time to make sure everything was in order.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Drmeff

definetly use loctite on the set screw in the drive dog! I lost mint and that ended the day for me, and now my buddies fell out on his llumar as well (same design, different size) so they really have a problem staying in. A little loctite will save you that frustration!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:23 PM
gooycheese

You will need a different prop from the start, the prop that comes with the TC31 cavitates alot. I use a M445 but there are other props that work just fine. As far as speed I would expect atleast 35mph right out of the box after break in.

Paul
Old 05-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Drmeff

I think the M445 would be the best bet since the tongue is already removed... I think I am going to get an m440 for my .21 TC31 since my x440 with the tongue removed works awesome!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:57 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: Drmeff

I think the M445 would be the best bet since the tongue is already removed... I think I am going to get an m440 for my .21 TC31 since my x440 with the tongue removed works awesome!

Drmeff, how's goin with ur .21tc31? have u tweaked it to the best?,,hope u can let us know what speed.....just curiuos of .21,,,i'm still in the process of engine to put in my tc31 so far i'm thinkin' of os .46 marine, but since i have os .30 vg i'l consider this if no too much mod and i can still use it in my monster truck.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Drmeff

It is REALLY humming along now! I ran it a couple days ago with my buddies llumar and I was pacing him at half throttle. I have a couple vids of it with some bad 20% fuel in it and it has gotten much faster since this vid, but here you go! It is hard to grasp how fast it is moving because the old mining quarry I run in is HUGE!! I could take my 21 foot Glastron out there and wakeboard it is so big!

Here is the pipe silencer I am using...

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdSrN60kZKQ]TC Vid 1[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuBPLikZuMA]TC Vid 2[/link]
Old 05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Shinning Rock

Drmeff,
Hey there I just got my TC31 a couple of weeks ago. Have been breaking in the engine. I finally got my inline rudder assm. and a SS prop that I odered from TLR. Installing it last night I noticed that the hinge of the rudder is a very sloppy fit. Once I got it together holding the rudder at the bottom you can move the rudder forward and back about 1/4 of an inch and is sloppy side to side as well. Is this normal for this assm? It seems like it will be able to flutter and vibrate in the water while running at speed.

Also I noticed the pick up tube that comes with the kit is much smaller than the stock tiube. This means less water flow through the head and that means more heat in the engine right?

Is this ok or maybe I should try to retrofit the tube holder to accomadate the larger stock tube?

What do you guys think??[]

Regards,
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.