Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Arrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

Kobus

The blackjack 55 will be running tomorow at the blue lagoon at 11:30 am if you want to come, Mikes boat will also be there.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:24 PM
mike foster

i need a new shaft aswell it is starting to break-up were it goes into the collet
Old 04-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Arrie

Mike make it red hot with blow torch and then put silver solder in the windings to stop it from unwynding more
Old 04-21-2007, 04:16 PM
dan.revo

ok. went to the lake today and the boat was running great. started up first time every time. during the 3rd or 4th tank everything was goin good then the boat just took off really fast then shut off. brought it in and everything looked fine. started it back up and put it in the water again. did the same thing. revved really high then cut out. any suggestions???
Old 04-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Raylon

Sounds like no fuel pressure. Check the exhaust pressure fitting going to the tank and see if it is loose.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:00 PM
dan.revo

nope, not loose at all....
Old 04-21-2007, 11:51 PM
wave waker

mike f.[sm=thumbup.gif] very nice paint job,,i'l vote it as the best tc31 paint job i've seen here,,,,,who will be the next?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:53 PM
gooycheese

Mine is white with flames its real cool lol............................................... .............ohhhhh yeah thats stock colors
Old 04-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Arrie

ORIGINAL: dan.revo

ok. went to the lake today and the boat was running great. started up first time every time. during the 3rd or 4th tank everything was goin good then the boat just took off really fast then shut off. brought it in and everything looked fine. started it back up and put it in the water again. did the same thing. revved really high then cut out. any suggestions???
Revo

Sounds like you have got gung in your fuel system, take of carb, tank and fuel line off and cleen it all and start again. We hade the same problem with a costemors boat and and there was durt in his fuel tank that blocked the line every now and again.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:35 AM
mike foster

My boat is doing the same thig just reving flat out and cutting out but going to the water today to try and sort it out with Arrie will let you know if i get it right.
Wave waker thanks for that i just did not like the stock colours so had to do somthing.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:41 AM
dan.revo

ok. ill try that., thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 07:35 PM
dan.revo

cleaned out the carb, the gas lines and the fuel tank. looked like there was nothing in them....
Old 04-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Toycollector

dan.revo

Funny your posting of this problem since I came on here to basically report the same thing

I tried a few different things including more changes in the needle positions than I can remember (all had affected how it ran, but none cured the problem) and I also attempted to secure the pressure line into the tank better with some loctite which seemed to help initially but the problem still remained.

What I did notice is that it is worse as the tank empties, and wonder if anyone else noticed this?

This was leading me to think the fuel tank pressure, the line, and mostly the nipple that goes into the header and never seems to stay really tight even with loctit etc could be the best place to start looking at. I am planning on just jb welding the thing together and see if that helps.

What is confusing to me is that it would seem that a loss in fuel pressure in the tank would lead to a loss of fuel getting into the carb, and shouldnt that make it stall or stumble rather than race up the rpm's to the moon?

OK now thats the rational view of today, but here is the real deal as this stupid boat is driving me nuts I am spending more time working on it, tuning it, and fishing it out of the water than actually driving the damn thing.

My neighbors are getting a real kick out of the whole thing since even though they enjoy watching the boat run etc (it does run fast and looks sweet when it does run lol) there seeming to enjoy watching it just die for no reason and my attempts to fish the damn thing out way more

An additional problem I am seeming to have is that not only does it just race up the rpm's without throttle input, but sometimes it runs great straight thru the various throttle postions and other times it will stumble before accelerating when giving it throttle, but the most frustrating is the times it just stalls or starts running like crap when giving it more throttle.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this? I was thinking it was heating up from being too lean but making it richer didnt help.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Toycollector

Maybe I should ask two different questions.

Are there any good and fast elec models to check out?

Do the gas powered engines (the weed whacker types etc) have these same problems?

And if not is anyone looking for a great deal on a TC31?

If the next couple tanks of fuel dont go better this may be what happens as the idea is to drive it, and not spend all day fixing it
Old 04-23-2007, 12:17 AM
PCnmbr2

This is all you have to do! Completly dissasemble the entire down to the last screw!ENGINE -check for broken skirt,bearings and cracks.CARB-check for cracks all seats and o-rings. Fix the nippel on pipe one way or another even if you have to buy an aftermarcket header pipe Replace fuel lines and cut 1/6 in. piece of fuel line and slip it on ends of lines to give tight fit.And install fuel filter with stone element !!!!! Buy new cap for fuel tank and pressure test tank buy submersing in water and pressurise check for bubbels. Buy fresh glow plug Fresh fuel (I run blue thunder 20%) and allways run out all the fuel if its going set for any length of time.I like to wash engine out with w-D 40 and then some after run oil. And thats it and befor you know it you will adjing the prop hieght and leaning it out. I also turn my idle up by the trim adj just for good measres sometimes yo will get some water splash in carb . heres some pics of mine to give you some ideas and yes I have a clamp on my fuel cap . When I get problem like your I start at the begining! Also check out the new piant on my weedaeter boat I'm thinking of going that way with my cat. GOOD LUCK
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15460.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	670449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69585.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	670450   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27782.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	670451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88823.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	670452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12013.jpg
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	670453  
Old 04-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Arrie

Put a header tank in the boat, it will stop it from leaning out as the main tank gets empty. Look back in the post, I have posted photo's of how the header tank must be mounted. P52 or 51
Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 PM
super_mike

I had all the usual problems with my boat associated with fuel ( stalling with plenty of fuel in the tank, lean out blah blah blah blah blah) I installed a 6oz primary tank in the sponson all the way back as far as it would go in the boat, connected that to a 2oz secondary tank that sits where the origional fuel tank was located, the 2oz feeds the carb.. the boat runs untill there is very little fuel left in the tank (maybe a 1/4oz left in the tank) as long as the boat is turning right. When turning left it quits with less than 1oz in it.. Even with running less fuel in the boat ( 10oz max) it still runs till my finger hurts from holding it wide open.. I also had all the associated problems with the pressure nipple located in the header, i tried keeping it tight..no help.. i tried JB WELD,LOCTITE, HI TEMP COPPER SILICONE and NONE kept the nipple tight in the stock location. I relocated the nipple to the fat part of the tuned pipe where it belongs and have had no trobles since.. I filled the old hole in the header with Napa Exhaust Manifold Epoxy..Now i fuel up and when the boat quits i either shut it down or it is completly out of fuel...Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.. I have noticed that if u dont give the boat some cool down time between runs it wants to try and vapor lock some times.. Some might say it hesitates, i think it more of a slight vapor lock..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61971.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	670647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72046.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	670648  
Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 PM
4wheelinrevo

i have the same problem with my .32 also.

i rv gasketted the carb and header, now i have fuel coming out of the tiger driv back plate.

i have just about had it with this engine, althought his weekend i was able to run it for 1 1/2 tanks. im going to fix the back plate issue and if that doesnt fix the idling and stalling issue im getting a new engine this weekend, period!!!

but after sealling up the carb and header the engine ran 1000% better, it still sounds as if i have an air leak still and i think it is from the rear back plate, but ill be able to tell once i fix that, i hope it is jsut the back plate needing an adjustment.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Drmeff

I would like to run dual tanks in the rear of the boat to get the CG lower because with the stock tank, my boat is REALLY touchy at high speed. I barrel rolled it yesterday! Kept running and it just took off again, gotta love OS engines
Old 04-23-2007, 05:35 PM
paulleonard

Remove the .32 Engine and replace it with this:

Brushless Nemesis 12 XL with 100 Amp 9920/M BK ESC. FDM Turbo trans with X447 Prop from Fineline about $300

I'm going to do this to mine soon...Same engine issues,,,it will prob run alot faster
Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Drmeff

I gotta smell nitro....
Old 04-23-2007, 07:57 PM
wave waker

guys, sorry to hear ur grievances bout .32 dynamite,,d only problem i got with this motor is when i'm breakin -in the engine coz i follow the !@#$%^ factory setting instruction, after that this is one of my sweetest motor i got next to my OS's engines.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:51 PM
PCnmbr2

Wave Waker I'm with you, I 'm on my 3rd gal of fuel ! Do any body know about the faulty fuel cap? I spend my time on the water jumping wakes doing cartwheels and some pretty good barrel rolls. I did have my fuel filter get clogged once. My O.S. moter runs flawlesless.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:31 AM
gooycheese

Loss of Pressure aka nipple on header will lean engine, less fuel pressure is the same as leaning (you will also lean as the tank gets empty).

Paul
Old 04-24-2007, 06:37 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY PUT THE PRESSURE TAP AT THE HEADER THAT IS THE BIGGEST NO NO THERE IS!! THE PATH OF THE EXAUST GIVES NO PRESSURE IN THE HEADER PIPE AT THE MOST IT WOULD GIVE A PULSE AND WHAT YOU NEED IS A STEADY PRESSURE. ALL NITRO ENGINES WITH TUNED PIPES OR EVEN A STOCK MUFFLER NEED THE PRESSURE TAP IN THE FAT PART OF THE PIPE PERIOD NO EXCUSES.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.