Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Baby Rigger Build Log

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Baby Rigger Build Log

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Sean Bowf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Baby Rigger Build Log

I think the most common thickness is going to be 1/32. Just about everything is sheeted in 1/32.

The sides of my tub are 1/16th, doubled in the engine and fuel tank area. I also plan on using an engine mount that will tie both sides of the tub together. The tub is sheeted on the bottom with 1/32. Bulkheads are 1/8th right now. I have not doubled the transom yet...still thinking on it. The front top will be sheeted in 1/32.

All of the rear sponsons are 1/32 over foam.

The front sponsons, starting from the inside, are are 1/16th ply, quarter inch balsa, 1 inch foam, quarter inch balsa, 1 inch foam. The rest of the outside is covered in 1/32nd. Remember, the front of your boat needs to float when it is full of water (with the engine, etc, installed).

I compared some plans I have with the Dumas lil Rascal I already own to come up with what I am building.

I am going to run a .12 CVR in it.

Sean
Old 03-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Woodmandan2

Oh ok, my sides are going to be 1/8th, and Ill see about getting 1/32 Sheeting. If i can, I will order it from hong Kong. I know they sell 0.8mm Robbe Birch Ply, which i can use. Tom I now see why you are using a razor, that 1/32 stuff is smaller than a millimeter, I problay could cut it with scissors. I am gonna make the rear sponsoons out of 1/32 Ply, as i am already pushing it with getting 1/32 ply, yet to find anywhere in china that sells paper thin wood, If i use that i may as well use paper itselft. I see on the instructions for building the kit verison, there is sponsoon boom support strips, I am hopefully going to cut the wood tomorrow, So if you don't tell me by tonite sometime if i need em, im gonna make em anyways. I guess if i don't It will add support to the hull. One more question about that, How high up are the boom tubes? And could you guys give me an estimate of how much wood i will need for the sides, sponsoons, and a few other things? I went to the Local chinese home depot and they got nothing small enough. Well i guess im gonna have to check at the LHS sometime soon or I'll go out and order some from HK, i hope they can ship wood to china though.
Thanks 4 all the help
Dan
Old 03-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Woodmandan2

Alrite, Because i am going to the USA in June, my parents reccomended to build it there, where i use the right tools and buy the parts at the LHS, and use the right wood etc. etc. So therefore i am buying the parts i need to buy in china, (motor, radio, esc) and then bringing em to the usa. Does anyone have any reccomendations for props for this boat, i am gonna use solinger hardware and i guess i will use a stub that is taken down to 1/8th from 3/16 for the hardware. Oh yea does anyone have any ideas how much foam is at home depot? i got a 50 dolla gift card to there so i was just wondering.
Thanks
Dan
Old 03-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Sean Bowf

For the prop, we would kind of need to know what motor you are using, and how big you are going to build the boat. Octura has a few plastic props that might work...I think they have a Y531 and a Y534. They also have some metal ones...X435, Y535, and an M435 3-blade. But as I said, it would depend on the motor you are going to use.

As to the foam. I take it you are talking about the the sheets of wall insulation that are used for the inside of the sponsons. Here locally, All I could find was 1/2 inch. Home Depot was about 10 dollars a sheet. Lowes was about 7 dollars. A sheet is 4 ft by 8 ft.

Sean
Old 03-16-2007, 03:59 PM
gooycheese

If you plan on racing a boat in the states you cant use a plastic prop, Unless it is a RTR boat that comes with that prop.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Sean Bowf

I didnt know that Paul...but if he is planning to race it, I would think he would be putting a .12 in it...and the metal props would probably be better with that motor anyhow.

Sean
Old 03-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Woodmandan2

Yea im not gonna race it, Ill have no time because i gotta travel the country and see al my relitaves in that 7 weeks, or they will think i favor someone else. Im only just gonna hvae some fun with it, and i am gonna mabey, run it on the detroit river near my old boat dock. if not ill run it in a pond. The motor im gonna use is gonna be a feigao 8L or 9L.
Dan
Old 03-16-2007, 06:55 PM
gooycheese

Yes , In the rule book under:

general rules of competition:
safety:

O. No plastic props will be used except for Fast Electric, Scale Electric, and ABS
Production Class boats.

Paul
Old 03-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Woodmandan2

Oh ok thanks for the pricing on foam sheets and help with the props. How thick is the sheets? I will ask my dad to pick some up when hes back in the us 4 me (april).
Thanks
Dan
Old 03-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Sean Bowf

What I found/used was half inch. What I needed was 1 inch for my boat, so I glued 2 pieces together to make 1 inch thick foam.

Sean
Old 03-16-2007, 07:16 PM
gooycheese

I think from 1/4" to about 2" what ever you like I would say you would want 1/2 3/4 or 1".

Paul
Old 03-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Woodmandan2

Shouldn't i want 1 inch because thats the size of the stuff in the sponsoon samwiches?
Thanks
Dan
Old 03-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

Yes , In the rule book under:

general rules of competition:
safety:

O. No plastic props will be used except for Fast Electric, Scale Electric, and ABS
Production Class boats.

Paul
Good info to know. Thanks Paul.

Sean
Old 03-16-2007, 09:24 PM
gooycheese

Yes prob 1" but its your call on what you will actually use. Also those rule I quoted are IMPBA rules, I am not sure if the rules are different for other organizations

Paul