Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Dan_Soprano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

Well I had fun with mine today after some early difficulties. I went to my buddies house who has about a 2 acre retention pond in his back yard, and owns a brushless super vee 27. Get the boat started, walking to the water to launch, and I notice the prop was barely spinning...... shut it down, and go to pull the shaft out, and only the hard part of the shaft comes out, the flexible part stayed. finally get out out, and see that the solder or whatever they attach it with was practically was non existent. Luckily, a local hobby shop had one on hand. Sooooo, we get that fixed. next, the coupler with the set screw that the prop attaches to failed. the screw was already stripped in the hole. No threads left. Mind you this is the second time I have run the boat since buying it BRAND NEW 5 days ago. I never even touched the coupler except to remove and reinstall on the new shaft. Traffic was bad, and even though it was only 6 miles away we decided to say screw going back to the shop, because it would have been cutting it close time wise. We got the set screw out after some work, and tacked the coupler on with a mig welder, placing the tack in the former screw whole. I was so mad, all I wanted to do was get on the water. So after some serious sweat and creativeness, we finally got it done. FINALLY got on the water and had a blast! Ran 4 tanks of gas through it, stopping for a cool down and some tweaking in between runs. She is running good now. I just spent another $65 @ tower to get some spare drive line parts so I don't have to go through this again! This boat is damn fun!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:35 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nitro boats don't need to cool down. Just keep having fun and run it!

Ryan
Old 07-01-2007, 06:09 AM
conrodss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tower has sold out of all supervees , there must be heaps out there now
Old 07-01-2007, 07:06 AM
kyle1
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mistressracing

tower has sold out of all supervees , there must be heaps out there now

O man i ordered mine friday night. It said they still had the green ones in stock. I hope mine still ships monday!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:33 AM
conrodss

if it said it was in stok when you ordered it should be ok , tower updates stock levels as stuff is oredered , i'd say you got one of the last , next run to come
Old 07-01-2007, 12:09 PM
ads8525
My Feedback: (34)

Does anyone have any tips on starting this boat. Once I get mine started it runs great in the water but man it takes forrrrrrrrevvvvver to start. Also, just curious, how much faster is the Super Vee compared to the Nitro Vee?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:51 PM
mopartybob

It's like the wabbit vs the turtle.....[:-], the nitro vee has a .15 engine in it,elect. start, and return to shore system,all of which adds weight to make it a floating turd more or less...about 25mph...MAX...I was'nt too thrilled with my nitro vee until I did a few minor mods like an os.21,speedmaster hardware,macs 3.5 pipe and such.......now it's about 40 - 45mph+ when i can keep it on the water....
Old 07-01-2007, 01:25 PM
motorhead91

mine was running about 25-28 mile an hour running rich and breaking it in....at 85-90 throttle
Old 07-01-2007, 02:00 PM
ryan_t888

I GPS'd a nitro vee stock at 23mph. No matter what I did to it, I couldn't get it to go too much faster than stock. The nitro Supervee I raced with my brushless was faster than me and I ran 32mph.

Ryan
Old 07-01-2007, 03:29 PM
ads8525

any tips on the starting part?
Old 07-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If it's new, the engine will be a little tough to start until it gets broken in.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:44 PM
ads8525

I have ran about 6 tanks through, I figured it would be broken in by now, or no? . How many pulls does it take you guys before yours start?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:48 PM
ryan_t888

Be sure to prime the engine before starting. What I like to do is pull the starter cord 2 or 3 times while covering the exhaust stinger. This build pressure in the tank forcing fuel to the carb. Once I see the fuel reach the carb I allow a few drops to enter. When the igniter is placed on the glow plug it takes me 2-5 pulls for the engine to start.

Ryan
Old 07-01-2007, 06:49 PM
ads8525

So you cover the exhaust instead of the carb? I usually cover the carb and pull 3 or 4 times uintil I see fuel go through into the carb then I attach the glow starter to it and pull. I have opened the throttle trim all the way and everything in between but nothing seems to make it easier to start. Sometimes I have to give it a little throttle as well. Only thing is it takes so long to start that my arm gets tired of pulling it I am well over 5 pulls to get it to fire.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:18 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: ads8525

So you cover the exhaust instead of the carb? I usually cover the carb and pull 3 or 4 times uintil I see fuel go through into the carb then I attach the glow starter to it and pull. I have opened the throttle trim all the way and everything in between but nothing seems to make it easier to start. Sometimes I have to give it a little throttle as well. Only thing is it takes so long to start that my arm gets tired of pulling it I am well over 5 pulls to get it to fire.
You'll probably hate me for saying this, but the engine in my Vegas usually starts within 3 or 4 pulls, and often on the first. If it's not starting quickly, it's either not getting enough prime, or not enough glow. I use the glow driver on my power panel. I prefer this to self contained glow drivers because you can adjust how much glow you're getting. I prime mine by covering the carb too. Try keeping priming it a little bit more.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
All Things Custom

when I first got my sv27, It almost always started in 1-3 pulls, even during break in. I wore out the engine and rebuilt it . Now it will hardly start. Its also eating up flex shafts. The first flex shaft went in 5 minutes of break in running. It spun thin where it enters the stuffing tube near the engine. I just figured it was the original one so its time had come. ot 2 replacements this weekend fixed her up and went to the pond for break in. one more tank of fuel and one more busted flexshaft. This one somehow got 1 inch longer. I pulled it out for inspection. it looked good so I put it back in , fired her up and realized the screw was not spinning??????? This flex shaft brohe at the joint near the solid part of the shaft. It still wont run without giving it throttle, its a bear to start, if I think its running ok, I give her a launch and she dies. I have the HSN at between 2 and 3 turn and all between at 1/8 increments and no luck. not humid but like 85F temp. ????????? where is the idle screw stock setting and the low speed neddle setting supposed to be?????? TThis boat was the best , now I wand to run it over with my 1500 dodge and not even pick up the pieces. Any help or advice is more than welcome. [][>:][:@]
Old 07-02-2007, 12:12 AM
conrodss

flex shaft issue is worry , would think they would last more than a few tanks , and replacing them and still having issues doesn't put it down to a one off , is the stock prop being used or one of the recommended grim racer props , or are you using another type ?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:42 AM
wake racer85

My flex shaft broke the first time i went to pull it out to grease it. Also, if you want to save the pull starter from as much wear you can prime the engine quickly by removing the pressure line from the tuned pipe and blowing into it.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: All Things Custom

when I first got my sv27, It almost always started in 1-3 pulls, even during break in. I wore out the engine and rebuilt it . Now it will hardly start. Its also eating up flex shafts. The first flex shaft went in 5 minutes of break in running. It spun thin where it enters the stuffing tube near the engine. I just figured it was the original one so its time had come. ot 2 replacements this weekend fixed her up and went to the pond for break in. one more tank of fuel and one more busted flexshaft. This one somehow got 1 inch longer. I pulled it out for inspection. it looked good so I put it back in , fired her up and realized the screw was not spinning??????? This flex shaft brohe at the joint near the solid part of the shaft. It still wont run without giving it throttle, its a bear to start, if I think its running ok, I give her a launch and she dies. I have the HSN at between 2 and 3 turn and all between at 1/8 increments and no luck. not humid but like 85F temp. ????????? where is the idle screw stock setting and the low speed neddle setting supposed to be?????? TThis boat was the best , now I wand to run it over with my 1500 dodge and not even pick up the pieces. Any help or advice is more than welcome. [][>:][:@]

Normally, if a marine engine is running good on the shore (with no load) it is running too lean. This would also make it hard to start... In short, good throttle response on land = too lean for water.

Sean
Old 07-02-2007, 07:45 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: All Things Custom
...Its also eating up flex shafts. The first flex shaft went in 5 minutes of break in running. It spun thin where it enters the stuffing tube near the engine. I just figured it was the original one so its time had come. ot 2 replacements this weekend fixed her up and went to the pond for break in. one more tank of fuel and one more busted flexshaft. This one somehow got 1 inch longer. I pulled it out for inspection. it looked good so I put it back in , fired her up and realized the screw was not spinning??????? This flex shaft brohe at the joint near the solid part of the shaft. ...
Out of curiosity, when you put the flex shafts back in, are you leaving the necessary gap between the strut and the drive dog? Not doing this would stretch the shaft, possibly leading to the failures you've described.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:12 AM
All Things Custom

yes, 1/8 inch or better. I somehow have an alignmen problem now. ???????But I ran 2 gallons of fuel through the engine out of the box. Im going through it today and I will get it worked out and let you all know what was wrong.

Question for the pros??????? after 2 tanks for break in, should I be able to tool aroun ok in the water or would it be less stressful for me to just finish it up on te bench?????

Right now, Im thinking the bench break in might prolong this boats little life. LOL
Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 AM
piper_chuck

FWIW, I've never broken in a boat engine on the bench, so I'd say get it wet already!
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 PM
ads8525

Okay guys, I really need some help. This Saturday I ran my boat and everything ran great started a little hard but got it started and got it on the water. Well, Sunday it took forever to get it to start and I only got it to start a couple of times. I tried again today and I can't get it to start for nothing, I have checked the glow ignitor, glow plug, primed the carb, and rechecked the carb high speed setting and it seems like it just will not turn over to start. What could the issue be? Could I have ran it too lean Saturday and messed up the engine?
Old 07-04-2007, 06:32 AM
Dan_Soprano

Is the carb open enough? Try running the high speed screw all the way in, then backing it out 2 1/2 turns. I have noticed that mine is really sensitive to the position of the carb during cold starts.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:40 AM
ryan_t888

These engines take a lot of abuse, I don't believe you harmed it to the point where it won't start.
When an engine does not start I usually ask my self 2 questions in this order.

Is the glow plug hot enough, is there a decent glow when held on an igniter?

Is the engine getting enough fuel (primed well) for a cold start?

Usually if these two questions are answered yes, the engine will start. If by chance the engine is flooded, take out the plug and turn the engine over a few times to blow out the excessive fuel.

You will know it is flooded when the engine is very difficult to turn over while pulling.

Ryan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.