Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:45 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

Hope you enjoy it. Here's an interesting observation about the pull starter on the AQU .18 engine. I originally thought I would hate it. However, I decided to keep things simple with my Vegas, so I didn't install a belt. To date there have only been a few occasions when it has taken me more than 1 or 2 pulls to start it. These are usually the first start after it's been stored for a few weeks, or when I flooded it. This last weekend, it started on the first pull on nearly every heat I raced. Perhaps it'll eventually give me trouble, but so far, it's been pretty simple.

If you do decide to get a starter, you'll need the starter, belt, and a 12 volt battery. For the smaller engines, a basic starter, such as this one: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJC35&P=ML will do fine. Personally, I use one of these: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFT87&P=ML on 12 volts for my outboards and one of these: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFT88&P=ML on 24 volts for inboards. They're more money, but when I needed to replace the switch on the Deluxe one, which I bought in the early 80s, Sullivan had the part.

Moving on to break-in. I've never run a boat engine anywhere other than at the lake. If you're going to burn the fuel, why not have some fun at the same time? Follow the directions about starting it rich and then after several runs, start leaning it out some.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:36 PM
motorhead91

the water because you can get familiar with how the boat acts in the water and what the handling is like, and like piper chuck said you get to have a little fun at the same time of breaking it in
Old 07-10-2007, 07:56 PM
MOVMX Racer

Well, I don't know if I will be able to make it to the lake to break it in. My aunt owns a lot of land and has a large pond I could use, but it has lots of weeds. I am fine with bench running it, but I will try to hitch a ride with someone to a local lake to drive it. I oculd probably get a belt and starter, and I will be near a full size boat at all times, so I will have access to a 12v battery, and I have a power panel and distribution box for my ICE charger that I oculd use it on as well. What belt should I use? Links?
Also, what spare parts should I buy before a long trip?
Also, (don't laugh, I'm new) just for comfort, do I use an air filter on this? I haven't seen one with a filter yet, but I would like to know!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:22 PM
cwaterhunter

ORIGINAL: Flettis

Where did you get the adjustable trim tabs that fit right onto the SV???
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/MainPage.htm i got them here, and they bolt right up..now iam waiting for a new radio box,, yes mine broke too,,the front tabs broke like most of the others i am thinking of of a way to make them stronger befor install it,, any one out there know how? lol
Old 07-10-2007, 09:24 PM
motorhead91

no, you shouldnt need an air filter unless your boat get beached at goes WOT in sand
Old 07-10-2007, 09:27 PM
MOVMX Racer

I saw in cwaterhunter's pics that there is some sort of cloth of paper stuffer into the neck of the carb, do I need to do that? Can I run it with a filter?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

cwaterhunter, before you get the new radio box, trim off the part of the blind nuts that are sticking up through the wood floor. A Dremel with a cut-off wheel makes quick work of that.
Try gluing #4 washers on top of the tabs, this is what I did and don't overtighten the bolts. They seem to start cracking at the top corners so maybe a little silicone like Shoe-Goo there might stop it from cracking. I don't know as it's something that I just thought of.

Running the boat out of water can do a lot of damage if it's done for too long without cooling water going through the head, this is why you want to run the boat in water ASAP.
The air filter on a boat question hasn't been asked in a while, we used to get that one every couple of months! There isn't a whole lot of dust on the water to clog one up plus some filters if they get wet won't work anyway.

For those that need starting belts and if you want to save a ton of money on them, here's what I do. I head to a sewing machine store that does repairs. They change the belts on repairs and trade-ins. most are usually only slightly worn on the sides, no big deal as they'll fit into the groove in the flywheel better. They haven't had the stress put on them that we might with an electric starter. If the repairman is a man, take the boat along to show him what you're going to do with the belts plus it will be easier to find the size that you need. I got a handful of them for a song as the guy that I talked to had a shoebox full of used ones.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:04 AM
MOVMX Racer

Okay... if you say so... I am just used to running my truck and having to remember a filter or its toast...
I dont have a sewing machine shop around me, got any more secret places to get them Ron?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:35 AM
greg33

HEY EVERYONE ? I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION I BUILT A BOAT BUT THE MOTOR BOGS WHEN ITS ON THE WATER IT SOMETIMES PICKS UP SPEED THE WAY IT SHOULD ONLY FOR 4-5 SECONDS THEN SLOWS BACK DOWN CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THAT MIGHT BE WHYS THE BOAT ACTING THIS WAY THANKS..
Old 07-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nah, you just don't want ot be seen in one! A city the size on Independence should have one somewhere I'd think. Try the yeloow pages or a small appliance repair shop otherwise order them through the internet or a hobby shop. A 13" belt should be plenty big enough.

Greg, try richening the carb just a little.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:45 AM
cwaterhunter

ORIGINAL: MOVMX Racer

I saw in cwaterhunter's pics that there is some sort of cloth of paper stuffer into the neck of the carb, do I need to do that? Can I run it with a filter?
that wasenmy boat,, it was all things coustom's...and its just to keep dust and dirt out when not in use.., in those pics he was showing his custom. radio boz.. if this new one breaks iam gonna do the same thing,,,
Old 07-11-2007, 11:13 AM
cwaterhunter

here ia a thought.. i was taking the radio box out..the only hold downs are the tabs.. i can see a lot of stress on them no wonder they let go..i was thinking drilling 4 small holes in the bottom corners of the box, and use some small stainless or brass screws, to help take the stress of the tabs.. and of course cover them withsomething waterproof lol also even when using the belt starter crack the glow loose makes life much easyer.. also i have a tiger drive. when the motor gets loose i might give it a try.i know some ppl dont like them( ron) lol also i have seen in other treads of people cutting the rudder shorter.. less drag..what do all you guys think of that?.. iam always open to new ideas thanks everyone,,, mark
Old 07-12-2007, 07:38 AM
cwaterhunter

can ya tell i got bored? lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20682.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	721393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22917.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	721394  
Old 07-12-2007, 05:21 PM
ghostracer

I was wonder if anyone else was have radio box problems other then the front tabs breaking witch if you take some CA glue and bead between the screw and the box it works great but the top of the box is falling apart, is it just mine.
also what a good way to see how fast your boat is I've seen baseball radar guns would they work?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM
MOVMX Racer

I got it!! it showed up today around 3:30, I answered the door with big smile knowing EXACTLY what it was. I couldn't hardly get it open. Man chuck you taped it tight! here some pics!

I got it to a local lake, thinking it would be fairly easy to fire. I loosened the plug, turned the needle 2.5 turns out, and started pulling. I couldn't get it going without the throttle half open, and it only kept running for a while if I was on the throttle. Also, I noticed that when I kept it going, the flex shaft started backing out, so I would hae to loosen the collet to push it back in. I can't keep it running for some reason. Please help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66712.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	454.7 KB
ID:	721771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92821.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	721772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37388.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	721773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs50824.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	721774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh56880.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	721775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh66357.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	721776  
Old 07-12-2007, 09:58 PM
motorhead91

turn it to about 2 1/4
Old 07-12-2007, 10:01 PM
MOVMX Racer

I tried 2, 2.25, 2.5, 2.75, 3....
Old 07-13-2007, 05:25 AM
piper_chuck

I got it!! it showed up today around 3:30, I answered the door with big smile knowing EXACTLY what it was. I couldn't hardly get it open. Man chuck you taped it tight! here some pics!
That was quick, glad it arrived safe. The best way to minimize the chance for shipping damage is to box it securely.
I got it to a local lake, thinking it would be fairly easy to fire. I loosened the plug, turned the needle 2.5 turns out, and started pulling. I couldn't get it going without the throttle half open, and it only kept running for a while if I was on the throttle. Also, I noticed that when I kept it going, the flex shaft started backing out, so I would hae to loosen the collet to push it back in. I can't keep it running for some reason. Please help!
As a reminder, in the email I sent, I explicitly said I did not tighten the collet holding the flex shaft. I also suggested that you go through all the nuts and bolts to ensure that they were tight. Make sure you do this before any more trips to the pond.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I loosened the plug,
Tighten it back up! I would suggest heating the engine up with a heat gun rather than unscrewing the plug. Heat will help combustion as well as expanding the sleeve.

I would also keep the HSN at 2.5 and richen the LSN. Cold engines need a rich mixture to start. On the AQU .18 that came with the vegas I noticed the LSN was set a bit too lean for my running conditions.

Ryan
Old 07-13-2007, 08:53 AM
MOVMX Racer

Haha good point Ryan!!!! I forgot about heating the head, thats what I had to do on my O.S. in my T-maxx before my ez start could even turn it over (that engine rules, have had it running PERFECT since the day it was broke in, first nitro I did right. Lets hope this is the second!)
Chuck- That WAS fast, I was expecting today or saturday. I explicitly remember you explicitly saying that you didn't tighten it, so I did.
You did a nice job on the prop, probably much better than I would have done! I will go through the nuts and bolts today and then try to get it running consistently to where i can actually get it to the water before it dies so I have to go swimming! (I have a life vest and inflatable boat)
Wish me luck!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:18 PM
MOVMX Racer

Well, i did it! I tightened the plug, made sure the head was warm, and cranked it. Nothing. I opened up the cab some with trim, it fired up, but i could tell it was running WAY rich (stuck my hand in front of pipe, my hand was covered in unburned fuel instantly. Maybe thats why it has trouble running? I leaned out the LSN, turns out it was rich, leaned out HSN a little too. Now it consistently starts second pull! I can't get to the lake today, it is my sisters 18th birthday[X(][:'(]... But maybe tomorrow! I don't want to bench run this! I also tightened down EVERYTHING, in the process realizing how HARD boats are to fit your hands in to work on!! I put in pool noodle foam wherever it would fit, and now I am set! thanks for the advice guys!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:47 PM
conrodss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well just got word that the boats may not be here to September ( in oz ) , oh well wasn't looking to get until after then but wondering what issues they are having with them ???
Old 07-13-2007, 08:19 PM
cwaterhunter

mostly the radio box.. hard starting.esp when new. my box broke waiting for a new one.., you should think about getting a starter and belt. even with thos i have to loosen the plug to start.., i changed the prop to a CF 40 its close to a x440. it did alot better with that one. after a few more tanks gonna try a x 442..and see how the grim reaper props are doing with people reporting them here.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:35 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: cwaterhunter
mostly the radio box.. hard starting.esp when new. my box broke waiting for a new one..,
I picked up one with a broken radio box today. I've already cut out the wood for a replacement box. Anyone want me to do a build thread on it?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:04 AM
conrodss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any modification builds documented would be great ,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.