Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 HELP! Nitro .46, what the? >

HELP! Nitro .46, what the?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

HELP! Nitro .46, what the?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Nitro .46, what the?

Hey

Now, this is the most frustrating thing I have ever come across.
About 6 months ago I got a nitro car, ran that figured out all of the tuning, but it was only a .21 so I don’t know much about bigger engines.

Then about 3 weeks ago I purchased a second hand RC nitro boat, with a .46 nitro ASP. Took it out today, (second time), and started it up, picked it up ready to put in water, went 10 m then stalled...... started again, stalled, (on the blocks out of the water) started.. and so on. I tried starting on every carb setting (i wasn’t given them when I bought it) and still stalled. I found that it will ONLY continue to run if the plug warmer is there, otherwise, Stalls...... What can it be? sooo confused. I have an OS 8 plug in it.

Thanks

Replies much appreciated
Old 09-09-2007, 05:17 AM

Default RE: HELP! Nitro .46, what the?

also i have replaced the glowplug with another brand new OS 8, and same problem

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too lean,richen it up another full turn(might have to go 2 turns),keep the igniter on it while blipping it up to mid throttle,then remove it,if it stays lit, your in the ballpark to where it'll at least run,nitro engines don't like to be idled, they'll load up and stall on you everytime,....[:-]
Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You've found out that nitro cars and boats are two different animals. Richen the needle until when you blip the throttle there is a little lag. The load of the prop in the water leans out the engine.
don't feel likethe Lone Ranger as I went through that learning process and I recently saw a flyer going through it.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:50 PM

hey

Which needles where you talking about, hi\low ?

Thanks for the advice

Dave
Old 09-09-2007, 04:13 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many things that could be wrong. As you've been told, it's possible that the high speed needle is too lean. Also, unlike a car, the boat engine will probably not idle when the boat is in the water. When you launch the boat you need to give it some throttle or it will die. In addition, many boat engines won't idle well. The symptom you list, only continues running with the plug warmer connected, says that at the idle speeds the carb is too rich. Unfortunately, leaning the carb may not work, because then it'll be too lean when running. If the engine has a low speed needle, you could try leaning that a bit to improve the low speed running.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 AM

Hey

Put it in a bucket, started it again. Leaned, Richened, Tryed all i can at the moment. When i do get it started, it runs for a little, then dies. Then i try to start it after that, it sounds like it has no fuel, then when i put the starter on it then open the throttle full and i can see bubbles going up the fuel line to the engine. Do you have to bleed the fuel lines on these engines? i just put a new fuel tank in it, i checked the plumbing as well but i couldn't find anything that was leaking. Iv got a spare carb, so i might try to put that on. But its still wired because why would it still run with the starter on if there wasn't enough fuel.

Thanks for your patience

Dave