Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Which is better and why

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Which is better and why

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Stein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is better and why

Hi:
I know this may have been asked 1000 times but I cant find a post on it. Which is better the Miss Vegas Hydro 1/12 or the Pro Boat Formula Hydroplane RTR.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=AQUB3270

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=PRB3200

I know some will like one and others will like the other I would like to know.

1. Which one is faster?
2. which one is better build quality?
3. Which one is more fun?
4. Which one is better looking in real life?
5. Which motor is better?
6. Which one can you mod to go faster?
7. Which one will my wife let me buy
8. and any comments you haev one them

Thanks guys
Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Dan S

Default RE: Which is better and why

Since the new Formula just came out not too long ago make's it a bit hard to say.

After looking at the Video for the new Boat and I still own my Vegas even if it has kind of taken the back seat, I strongly believe the Vegas is Faster out of the box with its setup correctly.

Can't tell you about the quality between the two since I haven't seen one side by side.

I think both would be fun.

I think the Formula looks more toy like, but thats me.

With the information that is out at this time I think the Vegas can be modded for faster speed.

Only you can say what your wife will let you buy.

For me the Vegas was a great RTR, I have learned a lot about fixing, modding, inventing and playing the Mc Guyver. I have now moved on to better and faster that is why my Vegas is kinda on the backseat.

Dan
Old 09-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

One through six, the Miss Vegas. Sorry, I can't help you out much with #7 as lot of my boats magically appear in my workshop and receipts get lost on the way home from the hobby shop.
Really, my wife is pretty cool about my addictive habit as long as the other bills get paid. I could be into a lot worse things.
The Miss Formula Boats is a relatively new kit but with its heritage from the Miss Bud and LLumar. The .128 is a new addition along with a few other small changes.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:50 PM
misshydro

Heres the ups and downs on both boats[8D],I have three Miss Buds and two vegas's!! Ok the buds/formula hydros,good points it has the.18 they cut off the rear tripples/lobster tail off the sides=less water drag=more speeds,the hulls are little thicker then the first miss buds!!The motor compartment is small!!Heres the bad things about them,wood side motor mount,sucks!!! theres no drain hole for water to get out of the motor compartment=wood rott and rusted motor mount inserts!!! I'd had to rip mine out!!![:@]junk!!![:'(] I'd went and made the old style motor mounts out of hard oak wood!!! tail fins still cracks at the base,No adjustable strut=I'd made my own adjustable strut , speeds at 28-33 mhp[]The price is 300.Now the vegas Good points Fast out of the box hydro,speeds at 33-38mhp some guys are getting maybe 40mhp on the stock.18s[X(].Bigger motor compartment room to do motor work in!!Plug big block upgrade too.Has adjustable strut,the boat is bigger then the proboat about 3"longer.Better water tight radio box.The bad things,cowl at the front needs alittle reinforcement flex coupler needs to be changed better upgrade,but I dont have any problems with them,the hull is alittle thin,but it make up for fast speeds.Water like to come in the boat=needs water seal around the cowl.The radio box screw tabs like to cracked.better turn fin.[8D] The price is cheeper,the vegas is 279.00 somtime it's cheeper then that.[8D]
Old 09-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Sean Bowf

1. Which one is faster?
Pretty sure the MV is faster. With not more than a prop change, you can be around 33 MPH...little work on the rudder, and you can be close to 35MPH.

2. which one is better build quality?
They are both cheap chinese made RTR boats. I think both have quality issues. I have only talked with one formula owner, and he said the formula hull is thinner than the Miss Bud hull, and that it was wavy. He had to add some glass to it to be able to sand the waves out of it.

3. Which one is more fun?
Subjective...

4. Which one is better looking in real life?
I think the Miss Bud/Formula is a better looking boat.

5. Which motor is better?
Not sure...have not seen a stock Formula run. The one I saw had a CVRM in it. I think he may have bought just a hull...

6. Which one can you mod to go faster?
My bet would be the MV. The fastest proboat I have seen is probably mid to high 30s with a .18 CVRM in it. I had my MV going 41-42 consistantly, with a max of 43.6 with the same engine. I think some of this is due to the non-adjustable strut on the formula. But the proboat also seems to ride tail heavy. This gives for a better ride in rough water, but also makes it slower on flat water.

7. Which one will my wife let me buy
Price is pretty close to the same, if that is what you are asking. I think the proboat may cost just a little more.

8. and any comments you haev one them
My views are based mainly on my ownership of the MV. I have never owned a proboat...but have raced against them. I think the proboat was popular at one time because of the whole budweiser affiliation thing...but just about every boat I see racing stock and mod RTR is a MV in my area (TX, OK, KS).

Sean
Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 PM
gooycheese

Stein,

If I was you I would listen to Sean , Dan & Ron on this matter. Sean & Dan both have MV's and Sean has done alot of test and mods with the boats he has and is very knowledgeable on what the boat can do. Ron is an all around boat guru , he does know alot about boats. I myself have never run a MV and have never seen a formula, I have seen the .15 version hydro and did like the looks of it better and the quality of the boat looked better but thats from just a aesthetic view. If you are just getting a boat to play with I would guess both are fine, if you intend to race in a RTR class then the MV has a slight edge in that case. I know Sean just lost the last race of the season to a proboat, and from what I have read he is pretty good in the RTR class with his MV. Yes a MV can compete in the sport 20 class but it is way outclassed, but thats not whats important (whats important is finishing races, thats how you Win ( Thats why the MV just Won US1 in sport 20 in the Internats this year)).

Paul

Looking at both boats it does look alot easier to work on a MV over a proboat for sure.