Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

buggy engine to flex shaft help plz

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

buggy engine to flex shaft help plz

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 AM
hyper701

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buggy engine to flex shaft help plz

i am trying to find a way to connect a .28 buggy engine to a boat flywheel, collet, then flex shaft. is there a kit i can buy, or an easy way to do it. any help would be great thanks, this is the engine im useing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95032.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1125616  
Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Dan S

Default RE: buggy engine to flex shaft help plz

as far as I know there isn't any conversion kit.

most guy's try to get there hands on a slimmed down flywheel with a recess, this will allow to have enough of the threads to show and the collet can screw on nicely.

I think there is someone that has/make flywheels for that purpose but I can't recall who it is.
maybe someone else will chime in.

Dan.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 AM
brodjack

I have the same motor,i had a guy here in the UK make a flywheel and a watercooled head for it.
An FE 5mm flexshaft collet fits nicely over the remaining shaft,with an allen key grub screw.
Mine will be for 33" Delta mono when i find some spare time.
My motor came from a 70mph car.
Brod..
Old 02-08-2009, 11:44 PM
misshydro

I think O.S make one?? I'd used a Miss vegas flywheel and narrowed it down and cut off the none threaded part of the crank off.. Done that to a thundertiger pro.21 buggy BXR motor.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

OK, here's the problem with using SG shaft engines from 4-wheelers. You might be able to find a flex cable collet that will thread on but once you put a spacer and flywheel on there aren't many threads sticking out. I wouldn't try the 5mm FE collet unless there is a flat spot ground on the shaft so that it doesn't spin. I've got a buddy that tried cutting a SG shaft down on an OS .12 and the results weren't good. At the bottom of the lake are 2 flywheels, flex cables, props and collets, half of which were mine.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 AM
misshydro

If you have the front of the flywheel counter sunk alittle bit you'll have enought thread to be save to thread your coupler on..I'll try to post pic tonght of my TT motor.. Now I have to find it..It's in my closet some were.LOL!!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
brodjack

Mishydro,are you saying a screw on coupler?

I havnt fitted my motor/FE coupler yet to a boat. there does seem plenty of shaft for the 5mm coupler to go over with a ground bit for the grub screw.No idea where i'd get a screw on one though.
Brod..
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 AM
hyper701

ORIGINAL: misshydro

If you have the front of the flywheel counter sunk alittle bit you'll have enought thread to be save to thread your coupler on..I'll try to post pic tonght of my TT motor.. Now I have to find it..It's in my closet some were.LOL!!
yea if you could get a pic that would be great, i dont know much about couplers, flex shafts, props ect, thanks for helping me out
Old 02-11-2009, 09:57 AM
JWMods

Piece of cake really, if you have access to a small lathe. The flywheel and collet are for the O.S.21VZ-M marine engine.
Cutting the unused part of the SG crank can be done with a fiber reinforced cutting wheel fitted to a Demel,, I've cut
a bunch of them.
I cut the O.S. flywheel "collet" at the front end,, its so long that it makes it get stuck in the flywheel the way it comes.
The flexshaft adapter was bought from Rocket City, its made for the O.S.21.

The adapter (once the nut and collet are removed) is chucked in the lathe and the rear end is turned down to where
theres a threaded part that goes back into the flywheel and grabs some more threads. The part is a stainless steel
model and it cuts like butter in the lathe.
The aircooled head fins normally have to be reduced for boat use. This also is lathe work and depending on your
application of your engine will determine how much fin should be removed to get the heat up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61870.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1132849  
Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 AM
hyper701

ok, i think ive found everything i need to do the job on ebay, i am looking at a .21 to .28 marine flywheel, slip-on flex collet (with a grub screw), 3/16th flex shaft, 1/4 flex shaft tube, 1/4 to 3/16th strut, and aquacraft miss vegas rudder. does this sound ok? also whats the best way to bend the flex cable tube? and will i need th fix it to some kind of mounting bracket? thanks
Old 02-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hopefully I got to you before it's too late. You might have a problem with the 5mm unthreaded collet as it has to be tight against the flywheel. I'm worried that it may make the flywheel slip if it isn't. You'll find out quickly when you try to start it using a hand-held starter.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 AM
hyper701

i did not buy anything yet, i was going to use the nut that holds the flywheel on the buggy to hold the boat flywheel on, then but the collet up to that. also the engine is fitted with a pull start. the reason i was going for the unthreaded collet was because i did not want to cut the sg shaft down, in case i want to put the engine back in the buggy
Old 02-13-2009, 10:06 AM
JWMods

You could contact this guy, they convert buggy engines all day but I still doubt that the SG crank will be left intact
http://www.ozspechobbies.com/