Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

.12 Rigger Kits for CHEAP!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

.12 Rigger Kits for CHEAP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:28 PM
jmy2u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .12 Rigger Kits for CHEAP!

I am not familiar with those particular motors but I have been running a Nova Rossi 3 port side exhaust buggy motor and it runs great. I used an Aquacraft header and Mac 2.5 tuned pipe and it turns some amazing R's I would say throw one in and give it a try, one thing to keep in mind is that the car and buggy motors have large cooling heads which may not let you build enough heat in the motor. If you dont want to cut down the the cooling head wrap some tape around it to reduce the air flow thru the fins. Go a couple fins at a time until you find the right heat range.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 PM
ondacomup76
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks. I've been reading thru this thread and seen some engines with the reduced fins. Always thought that the engines would have run hotter in the water than on land. I would have ended up in bales of trouble, as I tune to temp with my car engine.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:45 PM
amax

What takes the longest is Waiting on epoxy to dry, and Sanding it flat. Everything else goes prety easy.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Hydro Rob

I just tubbed up 2 12g's and a gas one today...Im beat.   We launch right at 1min on the clock for fuel issues and plus you dont want to be out there for 4-5 laps prior to the start, more to go wrong, and the timing is better. I can run 9-10 laps on the 4oz tank and thats no lifting balls to the wall. fairly rich setting as I like my engines to last a bit longer but can always lean them out in a heat if i need too.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 PM
toyotatruckin

Should have sealed it like I do, worst you have to do is a light rub down with steel wool between coats, toss the credit card idea out the window if your adding anymore than what soaks into the wood your adding to much epoxy which = to much effort and way to much work
ORIGINAL: amax

What takes the longest is Waiting on epoxy to dry, and Sanding it flat. Everything else goes prety easy.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 PM
amax

Oh I don't use much, Or leave much,,LOL. But I guess I've built To Many Black Benzo's, I do have a tendency to make Everything That slick. And She is gonna be That Slick to,, Just not Black. [8D] If I make the bottom edges Any Sharper there gonna Cut Somebody... I put the most work into the bottom, I am a Firm believer in getting the foot print Perfect, or as absolutely close to it as I'm capable of.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: ondacomup76

That looks real nice. Those pics make me even more anxious to get mine. My kit should be here by Friday. How long did the build take you? Also, I bought this kit because of the claim that I could use my car engine and the fact that it was fifty bucks. I have a team associated .18 from a tc3 and a brand new lrp Z.12R, anybody out there familiar with these engines and have an opinion as to how they would work in this boat and if they would be a good fit.

I tried an LRP .12 truck motor in a mono and was really disappointed in it. The thing might have worked OK if I had really dropped down from normal on the prop but it seems like they're high winders without a lot of torque. That was to me a big waste of around $240.00. The Team Associated .18 might be a better choice of the two. If it has the plastic carb restrictor in it, pull it out and give it a good toss. The TC-3 pipe could be the one that you need also as I've been using some of them but had to cut off the last 180 bend to get them short enough. That's what I'm using on my Nova Rossi and OS .12's.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Hydro Rob

Fellas.... did we forget... lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKd-3SHGqZY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81pCYnaS2o[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntas_iehTr8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-v1Qz-l67w[/youtube]

Old 06-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Hydro Rob

get a 12 tz.....
Old 06-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Ron Olson

In the fourth video you talk about getting some heat near the sponsons to help the epoxy to cure. Just don't get the heat too close though. Don't ask me how I know but I just do.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:18 AM
ondacomup76

Thanks, that was real helpful. I'll probably start with the associated .18 like you recommended. Who knows, depending on how easy the build is, might just build another for the lrp. I have them sitting, so I might as well use them. Now I'm really psyched to start the construction. All that other building info has been helpful too, I'm studying everything, so that I have a headstart on the build. I would ultimately like to race in namba's district 19. I live in Southern California. Do you think these engines would be competitive enough if that is my goal? From the videos that I've seen, it looks like it's all about engine consistency, and driving skills.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Ron Olson

You might want to see what they're doing in NAMBA 19. They do have their own website, www.namba19.com if you don't already have it.
Competitive? I don't know. The Nova Rossi's seem to be the way to go right now. More than likely in NAMBA you'll have to run in their "A" class which would include .21's so you're looking at 70 MPH heat racing boats. It's too bad that NAMBA doesn't have a class yet that I know of for .12-.18 boats with maybe the exception of RTR. I really don't know a lot about NAMBA as I'm in IMPBA territory.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:44 AM
ondacomup76

Wow, 70mph is fast. Guess I may have to buy the zippkit 21 instead of getting another 12.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Hydro Rob

As far as i know, we are the only ones in Dist 19 racing the Jae's in their own class. 12-18. its not a namba sanctioned race but a club race out here. we have several guys that come from CA and WA to run with us. Your more than welcome to come out. Last sunday of every month is our club race, be a namba member and bring 5 bucks we have a blast. No pressure, just fun. Check it out on facebook Sunset Park MBC. Or pm me if you have any questions. most of these videos you see on here and other sites and youtube are from our races.

Ron I had the heater on the low setting around 90 deg, about 6 in away for a few hours it was fine, this epoxy is not real flameable from what I can see. Last week I ran mine with a 21 rigger and kept up with him about  half a boat length the entire course and passing at times, so in the right trim these boats are real competetive. Im not a big fan of quoting speeds for personal reasons but we are closer to the 64mph mark then most can appreciate. But its not how fast your boat is, it a lot of things especialy in racing, its how it handles, how it can come out of a turn, on and off throttle, when to apply the power etc.

As for the NR12....I have not personaly seen one run well and keep up with mine. Im sure there are some out there that really get the job done. I know thats what it was designed for but.... not impressed with the NR12 in general, really hard to tune, pipe length, everyone has some magic combo that works for this engine, this prop, this length, this fuel, this pipe, and none of that works on any of the NR12 I have seen run.  You can not go wrong with an OS engine, 12tz, 18tz, 18 cvr are great choices and proven to run.  Dont get me wrong the nr12 videos look fast but it seems to be more hype, maybe tunning out here is complicated being 3000 ft above sea level in the dryest hottest air anywhere.

Either way, build it how you like, with what you like, enjoy it, admire it and put it to use and come out and race and dont let anyone stop you from doing what you want. Its YOUR boat.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:35 AM
advanced builder

Yes the kit is very user friendly. I f you get stuck, you can get a answer here. I did a all nighter like Ron, got em ready
Old 06-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Ron Olson

Being flammable wasn't the problem bgut I found out that with enough heat foam does expand. [X(]
Old 06-10-2010, 10:05 AM
advanced builder

Miss Jada is now ready for testing ,I still need to add water,& a belt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20110.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1451090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71769.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1451091  
Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 AM
ondacomup76

What engine is that and what size boat?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM
advanced builder

That is Miss Jada ,the hull is a Promise Hobby from Frank on Ebay the engine is a .18 GO.From Frank This is Nasty hull to setup. I have made too many setups to get her on plane or to run period. The Needle on the Go is way out. I want to run the Go at semi mod stock. Look at my carb. will let you now soon about that .LATER
Old 06-10-2010, 01:11 PM
ondacomup76

I just looked at some of your videos. That toy hauler is impressive.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 PM
advanced builder

Going to the Race. testing I have some testing. The MM 18 cat is alive. I just put the last linkage together. Fuel tank, done drive line done. radio done. The Picco P5 is in the cat with Petro header, Russian K pipe. I just drilled the hole for the exhaust I will Goop the copper pipe in. I will be moving that pipe some. I have a longer pipe to CK out if necessary Prop is a SS 215 prather. My dog drive is to large to test smaller props. I lost 2 set screws for the small dog drives.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:00 PM
ondacomup76

How fast do you think the mean machine will be? Only reason I ask, is I have one sitting on the shelf for the longest. Can't decide what to do with her. If I can get away with using a .18 then I will. I've read terrible things about the rtr engine. I have one of those too.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:02 PM
ondacomup76

Forgot to mention that my zippkit arrived today.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:34 AM
advanced builder

will have video soon,
Old 06-11-2010, 02:14 PM
toyotatruckin

Ya know ron, you almost said it but not quite, most all car/truck engines will work in boats, high rpm no torque, tons of torque no rpm etc..just like with anything gearing is key and in boats the prop is the gearing, also remember there are no "boat" engines just modified plane engines made to think they are for something else, OS did make a special "car" engine but I havent seen one for years maybe a collectors item by now lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.