Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 AM
4dogspete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Excellent - as they say "Necessity is the mother of invention"
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
europatc74
My Feedback: (6)

With an OS 32 and 9x8 prop, I clocked my shrike with a speed gun at 119. That was on a day the engine was not on par. As far as weight go's. I install a flat pack 600 battery all the way to the back Behind the last bulkhead. I cut a hatch behind the bulkhead and install the battery there. Even with the battery that far back I still need to add weight for the 32. It's also a good idea to Gusset the leading edge to the fuse. This is a weak spot. I also insert the leading edge "Into" the fuse then glue. You just cut a hole in the fuse where the leading edge meets the fuse and insert. If you've ever built a 40 shrike this technique is used in the plans.. The vertical stabilizers have a tendance to split due to landings on grass. The solution is to just cut the bottom of the stabilizer at a slight angle up at the back edge. Dave
Old 02-18-2009, 07:24 PM
RC-Captain

Well I received an email from Joe Beshar, who at this time is reading through this thread and basically he has told me Great Planes is trying to decide which lanier planes to keep and which planes not remanufacture. So I am reaching out to all of you SHRIKE FANS to send GREAT PLANES an email on how much you enjoy the SHRIKE and how you would really like to see it being manufactured again asap. I will be sending them the link to this thread which should be proof enough that they can make a decent profit if the SHRIKE is brought back into manufacturing. I wish all of you SHRIKE fans luck on this endeavor.

CAP
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice to see Great Planes hardware in the kit as opposed to the inferior junk that Lanier had. And instructions that are included in the kit, rather than having to print them from a website.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Boy, that is some good news. I'm proceeding with building one from plans, but it would sure be nice to have the kits, again. They can keep that ARF, tho, IMHO [:'(]

I emailed them again about bringing it back.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:04 AM
johnc1go
My Feedback: (9)

I did what you did w/the same style battery, except that I didn't make a hatch, I just put it in before sheeting behind the former. I like the idea of inserting the L.E. into the fuse, I think Lanier could have done the same for the directions on the .10 size as well. I have another unopened Shrike .10 kit waiting to be built, I will incorporate that modification into the next one. I did use hardwood spars and T.E. on the wing, I hope it will make up a little bit for the weak spot at the L.E/fuse joint.

For prop, I"m thinking MAS 9x6 for testing and trim and then moving to more aggressive pitch for speed. What high RPM are you getting w/your prop? A guy in my club has .10 size shrike w/an OS .32F and he's turning an APC 8x8 and I figure he's getting around 120mph also, but his engine is screaming. Since we can no longer get an OS .32 I think I'll stay w/the nine inch prop to reduce bearing wear.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:05 AM
johnc1go

Thanks for doing the leg work Cap. I'll get an email off to G.P. ASAP in support of all things Shrike!

I just wrote to G.P. and here's a copy of what I said.

Please start manufacturing and distributing Shrike kits. The Shrike is a "Great Plane" and has a cult following in the RC community across the United States. Even if you just broke even, you could at the very least expect additional traffic to the website.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:56 AM
RC-Captain

No problem johnc1go. I also really appreciate every ones input to this thread. I almost fainted when I saw the start date to this thread, and to see it still being added to is just powerful. I emailed Great Planes with the link to this thread suggesting how it would be a good idea to start making the .10 and .40 size SHRIKE again. Thanks to all for your assistance in a push to get are SHRIKEs soaring again.

CAP
Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Mustang Fever

RC Captain and the guys:

I've started a Shrike 40 build thread at:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8498635

I'm using plans that were supplied by another Shrike nut.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Tango Juliet

ORIGINAL: Mustang Fever

RC Captain and the guys:

I've started a Shrike 40 build thread at:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8498635

I'm using plans that were supplied by another Shrike nut.
Cool![sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 02-20-2009, 06:14 PM
RC-Captain

Definitely good news. I have to start searching for a SHRIKE .40 kit.

Thanks Mustang

CAP
Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Strykaas

I think someone should really make a CAD version of this plane and make plans freely available to evreyone out there. Great Planes had NO right to remove this bird from planet Earth. [sm=punching.gif]
Old 02-21-2009, 10:24 AM
4dogspete

Plans are one thing - kits and arf's are something else!
Pete
Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 PM
europatc74

Sorry to say but GP has every right to do what it feels is beneficial to the CO. even if it means pissing us all off. So,we make our own. I knew when Lanier was bought out and all the distributors were running out of kits that the Shrike days were numbered. So I made copies of the plans and instruction book for both the 10 size and 40. I had a friend make cad drawings for all the cut out pieces. Still working on the 40 but I have cad drawings for the 10. With this info anyone with a min of building experience and build from scratch. Once you have a set of templets made no need to buy kits. There was a guy on Ebay selling plans and templets for the shrike 40 last I looked. I too distribute plans with proceeds going to help out our flying club. Dave...
Old 02-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Strykaas

ORIGINAL: europatc74

Sorry to say but GP has every right to do what it feels is beneficial to the CO. even if it means pissing us all off. So,we make our own. I knew when Lanier was bought out and all the distributors were running out of kits that the Shrike days were numbered. So I made copies of the plans and instruction book for both the 10 size and 40. I had a friend make cad drawings for all the cut out pieces. Still working on the 40 but I have cad drawings for the 10. With this info anyone with a min of building experience and build from scratch. Once you have a set of templets made no need to buy kits. There was a guy on Ebay selling plans and templets for the shrike 40 last I looked. I too distribute plans with proceeds going to help out our flying club. Dave...
[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Tango Juliet

Thanks Dave! I got mine today.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Mustang Fever

TJR1 & Dave:

Is this the URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lanier-Shrike-40-Plans-Templates-and-Instructions_W0QQitemZ360133155492QQcmdZViewItemQQ ptZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item360133155492&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 PM
europatc74

That's the one I saw. I know nothing about the individual........Dave
Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 PM
antiquefer

I flew a 1/2a shrike on sunday. It was given to me by a friend who had it set up for electric. He crashed on first try. I modified firewall and installed a non throttled .049 Norvel. I guessed wrong on CG and threw it into the ground on first try. Moved battery back 3'' and away it went. Few clicks of roll and pitch trim and it was on rails. Fast little bugger. Very controllable even at slow landing speed. I need a set of planes so I can build another one for a spare. Any one got a set they might get rid of?.........................antiquefer.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 AM
johnc1go

My latest Shrike is nearly completed. I'll be done covering this week. I expect the plane will be ready by middle of March for test flights. Will get some pics up soon, if anyone is interested. Heading to the school gym for some indoor flying tonite, gonna slow things down.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:26 AM
4dogspete

For the Shrike Builders out there - I have a question - probably only one of a bunch to come later.
I'm building a Lanier Shrike (not sure what others were ever out there?) and am on paragraph 10 of the instruction manual..
Everythign's just fine until I get to where it says "Using a razor saw, cut the rail (what rail?) 1" to protrude from the right side."
I did all the other items up to and including Paragraph 10 (at least I think I did).
As it instructs in Para 10, I cut the 4 pieces of spruce rails and installed 3 of them and the support gusset. Then I read about this rail hanging out 1" and I don't understand.
If I let the 4th rail hang out 1" then what happens to the other end? Or did I cut too many pieces?
I suppose I'm reading this instruction wrong (Sometimes I read stuff into the instructions that aren't there), so someone help me out here.
Thanks
Pete
[email protected]
Old 03-08-2009, 12:22 PM
RC-Captain

High and thanks for joining the club. I believe you are on the part that is telling you to leave 1" for one of the servo mounts. To be honest some pics might help every help you fiqure out what to do next. I am going to check my plans and get back to you. Which size shrike are you building ?

CAP
Old 03-08-2009, 12:28 PM
europatc74

Prundel, The rail their talking about is one of the 4 spruce rails used to mount the servos. It is the rear Throttle rail. If you look at the plans for the throttle placement you will see that the rail is only half the width of the Fuse. That is why they say not to glue both sides in because you will be cutting that piece in half and removing the piece on the left. That is also why you must gusset the remaining piece for support. They should have said Mount instead of rail. Let us know if you need additional help. Dave R...
Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 PM
4dogspete

Thanks Dave R
Now I see what they mean - instrucitons are always requiring a little innovation or creativity in interpretation.

Now I'm going to use an HS-80 throttle servo and a NES 517 (JR) elevator servo.
For the HS-80, I'm building a small piece of ply to make the smaller cutout for the HS-80. Seems like this is set up for all standard servos.
I think I'll put my aileron servos in the wings for a bit more stability.

My engine will be an older K&B 3.5 that has a goofy rear exhaust outlet with a cross-wise muffler.
I don't think I'll need to move the firewall back, as I've noticed that most builders move the firewall when the engine is a bit larger.

Again
Thanks
Pete
Old 03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
europatc74

A couple of things. Yes. the plane is designed for standard servos. It's not necessary to have duel servos for the ailerons. A single servo works just fine. But it is your choice. Moving the firewall back, again, is not necessary. I run a 32 in the 10 shrike and a 61 in my 40 without modifications and standard 3004 Futaba servos. The key to this plane is to build straight and true. Then to balance properly. But that's just me. Dave R...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.