Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

chat

Old 12-08-2001, 04:20 AM
nun45
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chat

hey marc, i was just curious as to wether a chat room could be lurking in the future? i used to frequent another but the guy running it is really bent about this site,can't figure him out! anywho it is just a question in my mind(and a short mind it is!)---henry
Old 12-08-2001, 04:47 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chat

Sure, I could certainly do such a thing. I'll look into some java chat applications and see what's good these days.

Also, is that person bent about RCUniverse when you say "this site".
Old 12-08-2001, 01:47 PM
nun45
Banned

Default subject

yes marc i do mean rcu! spike was rambling on about nothing positive, and when i asked if he was bent about it he called ME a troll! i couldn't believe that, i try very hard NOT to speak my mind about issues like this, but this one in particular really bunched my undies! i really enjoy these sites and mostly chat rooms, i think i have met some pretty good friends in both places. sorry about the ramblings!---henry
Old 12-08-2001, 02:38 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default chat

ramble away..that's why I built RCU.

Who is spike by the way?
Old 12-08-2001, 10:37 PM
nun45
Banned

Default spike

spike , believe runs that chatroom at rc flying. very anal person from what i can tell. i just think this whole mess is just a bunch of nazis over-reacting! i just don't know how else to say it. i feel i need to apoligize for the reactions to people in athority at a site i love dearly and have been a member of for some time. i am almost embarrased to read some of the rants from some i thought i knew well! i am almost heart broke over some of it.---henry
Old 12-09-2001, 12:13 AM
mvigod
Banned

Default chat

Henry,

I certainly can understand how you feel. Sometimes peoples motives become clear in what I'll call a stressful time for them. Hopefully the good ones will make it over here sooner or later and it's the people that make a site good or bad. Not the url. All I can do is try to provide a viable meeting forum to disuss or trade rc stuff. Plain and simple.

It's like a club. Let's say you have 100 members and they meet at a certain lodge. Let's say the lodge's heat doesn't work great and the lighting isn't so good. Maybe it's not the most perfect place to meet but it still is a place to go and discuss your interests. You all know places (sites) sort of like this.

Now let's say a member comes along who is in the fortunate position to provide for free his banquet room which has dinner served at each meeting. Satellite tv. Working heat or air conditioning. Glorious marble bathrooms. Now all the members of the club decide to go to the new meeting place because it has more "creature comforts". It's just a nicer place and easier to do business or talk there. Now, in the end it's the same 100 club members from the old lodge but now they have a brand spanking new place to talk or trade. Why are certain individuals going to be so upset about this? Well, the guy that owned the old lodge perhaps made some money by renting his lodge to you guys for your meetings (advertising) and now your going somewhere else which he can't compete with (nicer facility and free).

I'm glad people are coming here and finding what they have said to me is a better place. I can't convince those with other motives to stop attacking me or my site as that is their perogative. What I can do is built an even bigger and better site each day and in the end I put the user first and I think that will make me the last guy smiling in the end. I hold few grudges.

One thing about this hobby since I was 8 that I found to be amazing is the amount of guys that will bend over backward to help you. I mean above and beyond type stuff. Guys would give me glowplugs, fuel, advice, anything and refuse to take money for it! Needless to say I learned alot from those guys and always return the favors when I can. Just the other day a couple of guys showed up at the field with a new biplane with a dead battery. I ripped apart my glider to give them my pack so they could fly. This hobby is about having fun with our toys. Some people seem to take it REAL serious though.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:45 AM
nun45
Banned

Default agree

well said!---HENRY
Old 12-09-2001, 01:03 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default chat

I'm with Henry here. I was a Forum Host and an Administrator for over 4+ years at RCO and I stayed with it till I saw the person running it didn't give a hoot about us, or the people that came there. I received an E-Mail from a very dear friend asking why I jumped on the band wagon here so quickly. I told him I liked what I saw and wanted to help out, but I also stated that I wouldn't make the same mistake twice. If you turn out to be another Edward then I will out of here so fast that you won't even see the dust. I also can't understand all the attacks at the other site that I enjoy, and yes I am also a Forum Host over there. Like Henry, it saddens me to see it happening but will not get into a pissing contest over it because once a person has his or her mind made up you won't change it, and that's just a fact of life. Let's just sit back and see which way the wind blows and then go from there.
Old 12-09-2001, 02:32 AM
mvigod
Banned

Default chat

Thanks guys. I appreciate your support. It is truly the users that make the site and the moderators that ensure people get helped in a fun, friendly atmosphere. I come from a major perspective to put the customer (or in this case user) first. I mean way up there. Anything less is unacceptable in my opinion. I admire guys like Bezos at Amazon for the simple fact that the customer was their only concern. Of course it's not helping their bottom line yet but maybe some day it will. It's a great philosophy. I just sit back and said what kind of site would I want? What do others want? I build it and take all suggestions and feedback seriously to continually improve as this site will be fluid. It will never be done. It will always change as that is necessary to stay on top. Xerox never changed and figured that copiers would rule forever. I'll just stick to my guns and along with a few ads here and there the RC world will know that we are here for them.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:21 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default chat

Marc,

I have seen enough in the last week to know that you have put a lot of effort into getting this site up and running and the additional 1Gb of RAM coming later tonight is another example of the commitment you have made.

I don't understand why people get upset and expect users to pledge an allegiance to one site or another.

I want to learn as much as I can about this hobby and help out some newbies along the way. I don't see a problem with doing that on the best, most feature rich and fastest RC site out there.

If the others feel threatened and start complaining, then they are going to lose out. I personally don't want to visit a site where all they do is whinge and complain about the competition.

I say keep up the good work! The rapidly expanding userbase is a testament to the need for just this type of site.

Why else has it grown exponentially in the first week?
Old 12-09-2001, 08:18 AM
southerngent

Default Chat

OK.....
First off, The chat room that NUN45 is refering to is #rc_chat
its on server irc.webmaster.com
It can be accessed through a set up java application at ********.net
http://www.********.net/index.php?page=chat
Or through MIRC or PIRCH

This room was founded by Myself and Spike.
I personally believe that we run a good chat room.
NUN45.... I told you in the room that spike's troll comment was only a joke. But i wont make excuses for him. Thats up to him whether he wants to reply to your thread here.
I, on the other hand.... couldnt resist.
Our expressed opinions in that room are just that! Opinions.
I think that everyone is entitled to one. Each of us,are individuals
who see things in different lights.
I really wish that if you had a problem with us, NUN45 that you would have had the decency to talk to us about it. Rather than
posting in BB's all over the net makeing derrogatory comments about someone being "ANAL".
We certainly didn't mean to offend you in anyway. And it seems as though we have and for that I apologise.
I am not makeing this post to express my opinions or the opinions of others about this site. I plan to just sit back and watch
and see how it go's.
I hold no ill will to RCU.... If it turns out to be an asset to the RC community, then I'm all for it. If it doesnt.... well... I Hope i dont step in it!

I want to personally invite you all to the chat room.
Come and see what we are all about and make the decision for yourselves.
That seems to be the motto of this site and I think the same should be extended to us?

I will offer you a set up java applet (RCadmin) that you can use for this site to our room. Should you decide that We are what you are looking for. We are also set up on flightlines as well. They couldn't set up for server access probs and had to resort to linking it. But I think its working out real well.
This room is for Rc users, Who want to meet people and discuss,trade,share info on our great sport.
We dont care what BB you frequent. Only the comeraderie of being with good friends and helping each other.
Again.... NUN45, I apologize to you.
Come visit with us!
Southerngent
Old 12-09-2001, 02:15 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default chat

We are still looking for a good piece of chat software. I don't want to rush into it and pick a buggy java application so I"m trying to locate one that has nice features, is fast and doesn't have bugs or crash alot. If you know of any that I should look at let me know. I took a look at a couple this week and they crashed the browsers so I'm still looking. There are other features I'm working on too so you can search by state or geography and find those selling stuff near you. Lots of work to do still.

Also, Rackspace did not put our memory in last night as scheduled. I'm waiting for a report from the tech support guys but I'm guessing they were still doing network maintenance and didn't want to risk more than 15 minutes of downtime for us which was the target so hopefully that will get done tonight. If not them I'm flying to texas myself to install it and they don't want that because then they get my bill for the installation fee!

Anyway, if all really goes as planned we could get by with no more than about 4 minutes of downtime just for the reboot so the machine recognized the additional RAM. Just wanted to leave a buffer in case of software issues as we are upgrading the linux kernel too in order to "see" the full ram footprint. In the meantime the server is still flying along at less than 5% of it's available capacity so we have breathing room.
Old 12-09-2001, 02:42 PM
BevoHoward

Default Chat

I think a chat would be nice. I have never tried it before, but it sounds like fun.
These guys that belly ache all the time really arn't worth paying much attention to. There are always a few, and they are probably like that in other parts of their lives. I kinda figure we can go to whatever coffee shop we chose to. Let me just give you a handshake for a good job and for the open invitation.

Tom
AMA 60278
Old 12-09-2001, 02:53 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default chat

Tom,

Thanks for the positive feedback and it's from all the comments like this that let's me know that I must be headed in the right direction here. The overwhelming majority (as in 98%) has been extremely positive on what is going on here at RCU.

Also, I know exactly what your saying and I don't let them get to me. I took 4 years of psych in college and why people do what they do is often times no mystery.

I'm happy to say as of this morning we have just passed the 400 registered member mark, exceeded the first 1000 posts level and are just about to clear 60,000 page views in just 9 days. This is telling me that something good is happening here and people are enjoying what I have built so far.

Enjoy!
Old 12-09-2001, 03:14 PM
southerngent

Default java applet

take a look at this, and test run it from the link on my prior post
Or set it up on a page and run it for yourself. you can modify the code and set it up as you like. Our room has been online for about 2 years now and is established.... the server its own is fairly reliable and rarely go's down. We have good, moderators (room ops) already in place. However if you still want to go out own you own... you can set this applet up to go to a room that you can founder. I would hope that you would atleast give us the oppertunity first. as stated in my prior post, this room is already set up for 2 other BB's and the user base is virtually the same people. Why not just join us?
If you do decide to go your own route, I would still be glad to help you set it up on the irc server or help in any way i can.
Southerngent

Copy the HTML below to add this Chat Room to your website...

<applet archive="http://backpack.webmaster.com/backpack/cr.zip"
codebase="http://backpack.webmaster.com/backpack/"
name=cr
code="ConferenceRoom.class"
width=550
height=450>
<param name=channel value=#rc_chat>
<param name=showbuttonpanel value=false>
<param name=bg value=EEEEEE>
<param name=fg value=000000>
<param name=roomswidth value=0>
<param name=lurk value=false>
<param name=simple value=false>
<param name=restricted value=false>
<param name=showjoins value=true>
<param name=showserverwindow value=true>
<param name=nicklock value=false>
<param name=playsounds value=true>
<param name=onlyshowchat value=false>
<param name=showcolorpanel value=false>
<param name=floatnewwindows value=false>
<param name=timestamp value=false>
<param name=listtime value=0>
<param name=guicolors1 value="youColor=000000;operColor=FF0000;voicecolor=006600 ;userscolor=000099">
<param name=guicolors2 value="inputcolor=FFFFFF;inputtextColor=000099;sessioncol or=FFFFFF;systemcolor=0000FF">
<param name=guicolors3 value="titleColor=FFFFFF;titletextColor=000099;sessiontex tColor=000000">
<param name=guicolors4 value="joinColor=009900;partColor=009900;talkcolor=000099">
<param name=nick value="Guest">
This application requires Java suport.

This server also available via IRC at:

irc://IRC.WEBMASTER.COM:6667/

</applet>

Old 12-09-2001, 04:58 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default chat

Thank you for the offer on the chat room. I will check that out at some point today and evaluate it along with a couple of the other apps I still need to look at and if it looks as good or better than the other apps and nobody has any objections (pm me if you do) we may take you up on that.

Thanks again.