Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 DIY Vs. Professionally built? >

DIY Vs. Professionally built?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

DIY Vs. Professionally built?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Vs. Professionally built?

Looking to buy from an online HS that has this service. Need suggestions. Looking to buy an Align T Rex 550 FBL. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: DIY Vs. Professionally built?

build it yourself....

you will learn how it is built... it isn't that hard....

and you will know how to fix it later.....
Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM

Believe you me, would love to but, as it turns out, have more time to fly than building. Something breaks, replace it or fix it. I'm only looking to know if there are any online HS out there that do a better job than others at building.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Id say build it yourself. If can find time to fly it you can find time to build it. You cant trust anybody to do anything these days. Only way your sure something is done right is to do it yourself.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: gcopter

Looking to buy from an online HS that has this service. Need suggestions. Looking to buy an Align T Rex 550 FBL. Thanks.
You'd be better off finding some enthusiastic member ofa club and pay them to build it for you..

If I lived closer I'd be happy to build you one.. I enjoy the build process as much as flying them... (maybe more)...

Just my 2 cents worth..

But honestly.. they are not hard to build.. I built this one in a single night on the day the kit arrived.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU4w7IT-1do[/youtube]

and flew it the next morning..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9X0rYnHEDY[/youtube]
Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 AM

I agree if you can find the time to fly, find the time to build it you can do it over a weekend w/o difficulty
Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 AM

Ok, ok. So if I were to order it, would you recommend I get it stock or, w/o gyro and servos in order to get something better or higher performance?
Bear in mind, I want to get an FBL 550 and I want to be able to use my own DX 6i. What about batteries and a charger? Where should I shop for the whole enchilada?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:20 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, ok. So if I were to order it, would you recommend I get it stock or, w/o gyro and servos in order to get something better or higher performance?
Bear in mind, I want to get an FBL 550 and I want to be able to use my own DX 6i. What about batteries and a charger? Where should I shop for the whole enchilada?

I will sound extremely harsh and blunt with my next statement, so I will apologize in advance and will leave this thread alone at your request. You do with your money whatever you want, all I can do is provide advise and try to help you along to avoid headaches....

Honestly you sound like a newbie that did a little homework and fell in love with the TRex 500 Flybarless. You seem to lack the experience required to fly that machine. Although not a bad machine to start off with, I will strongly suggest the help of an experienced flier in your area. Only you can find a person that you trust.

Here are a couple of sites to get in contact with some people around your area:
[link]http://pilotlocator.net/home.php[/link]
[link]http://helifreak.com/vbgooglemapme.php[/link]
[link]http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx[/link]

Then after saying all that, I would also suggest that you find out which helicopter is the most popular in your area, and you could get that instead of the TRex 500 FBL. The combined experience of the local pilots in your area will be much more valuable to you than anything that gets typed here or any other forum you visit.

Again, I apologize if your level of experience is higher than what your questions lead me to believe. I cannot see your body language and facial expressions when the question is typed, so I have no clue of your backgorund.

Hope I was of some help.

Rafael
Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 AM

Rafael, no need to apologize.

You're right, I'm a newbie. That much is true.

Thus far, my r/c heli experience has been limited to mSr and a 120 SR.

I was planning on getting a Blade 400 next, though I can't still get it out of my head that wind impedes my learning from advancing. I wanted something heavier and "wind resistant", hence, my "love" for a t rex 550.

This is why a post my question here, to get opinions from the pros. In your's, what so complicated about a FBL machine that requires experience?

Exactly what does FBL entails?

BTW, totally off topic, but, I used to be stationed in Ft. Riley in the early 80's. You in the military as well?
Thanks for replying.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 AM

Rafael, no need to apologize.

You're right, I'm a newbie. That much is true.

Thus far, my r/c heli experience has been limited to mSr and a 120 SR.

I was planning on getting a Blade 400 next, though I can't still get it out of my head that wind impedes my learning from advancing. I wanted something heavier and "wind resistant", hence, my "love" for a t rex 550.

This is why a post my question here, to get opinions from the pros. In your's, what so complicated about a FBL machine that requires experience?

BTW, totally off topic, but, I used to be stationed in Ft. Riley in the early 80's. You in the military as well?
Thanks for replying.
Hi,

Don't waste your money on the Blade 400.. you can get much better quality for a fraction of the cost... My Blade 400 was a lemon, faulty servos from brand new...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgoztDiEZ7k[/youtube]

Can I suggest you start with a 450 size clone? You can build one for well under $200 and they handle the wind fine... I fly mine in 30 kt winds regularly..

The 450 Clones are much more powerful and stable than the Blade 400 which has too much plastic in the critical parts of the head... Clones are generally all metal..

They are also much less expensive to build and repair. Jump over to this thread, lots of good information about the 450's http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10052781/tm.htm

I'll link some vids of my helis, I have 6 x 450s (because I really just enjoy building them also, and they are so darn cheap... One kit cost me $10... yes really.... Its the first vid...)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5AeH48c5Rg[/youtube]

This is my most powerful heli (cost me around $180)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-si10pPToXY[/youtube]

and another...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-JUJR6NlbU[/youtube]

Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM

...I was planning on getting a Blade 400 next, though I can't still get it out of my head that wind impedes my learning from advancing. I wanted something heavier and ''wind resistant'', hence, my ''love'' for a t rex 550....
Anything about 450 and up will be a little more resistant to wind than an msr or a 120. Keep in mind that the bigger they are the better they fly. To be completely honest, the best bang for your buck is a 50-size, either nitro or electric, if you are considering staying in the hobby. The size and weight are perfect for almost any kind of wind, and they can take you from begginer all the way to full out 3D. Meet some of the guys in your local area and see what is the most popular heli there.

A flybarless system is a system where 3 gyros take over the control of the machine instead of the "old fashioned" flybar and tail gyro. It is not a complicated system, but if improperly programmed, your helicopter can by unflyable even tho the construction was correct. And if improperly programmed, can be a pain the rear to diagnose. I do not have a lot of sxperience on them, but hope to change that in the near future.

A properly programmed flybarless heli, is a little more stable than a FB one, but you need to know the differences between one and the other. They also have little 'quirks" to them specially if you take off from sloping ground. There are good discussions about flybarless systems here:[link]http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/f124p1/?top=1297452889[/link]

Thanks for replying.
I was a soldier here, 1996 to 2005. 1st Engineer Battalion, 1st Infantry Division, and later 482nd Firefighters, US Army Reserve. Now I'm working for the company that took over the military housing.

Keep asking questions, i'll try to answer them the best I can. If you deviate from the subject of this topic too much, just start a new post and send me the link over PM, or email. My address is on this system.

Rafael
Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM

&lt;meta charset="utf-8" /><div style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); padding-top: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; ">Rafael, when you say a "50" size, can you reference it against the model I'm seeking to buy? Is it the same?

Also, not interested in 3D flying at all. I am what I think you call a "scale flier". Eventually would like to go FPV.

Regarding the programming for FBL, I'm guesing this comes with the instructions in the kit?

I will be checking out your link and researching the 450 vs. 550 models. If you have any opinions as to how they handle wind, repair costs etc., would like to hear them. Also guys, I respect your choice in kits, but I rather go with brand name over a clone.
</div>Rafael, I was an aircraft armament repairman, 68M10, Echo Co., 1st. Avn. Bn., later redesignated 1st. CAB (Combat Aviation Batallion). Used to fix the armament systems on the Cobra's.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 PM

&lt;meta charset="utf-8" /><div style="padding-bottom: 5px; background-color: rgb(255,255,255); margin: 0px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px; font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; padding-top: 5px">Rafael, when you say a "50" size, can you reference it against the model I'm seeking to buy? Is it the same?

Also, not interested in 3D flying at all. I am what I think you call a "scale flier". Eventually would like to go FPV.

Regarding the programming for FBL, I'm guesing this comes with the instructions in the kit?

I will be checking out your link and researching the 450 vs. 550 models. If you have any opinions as to how they handle wind, repair costs etc., would like to hear them. Also guys, I respect your choice in kits, but I rather go with brand name over a clone.
</div>Rafael, I was an aircraft armament repairman, 68M10, Echo Co., 1st. Avn. Bn., later redesignated 1st. CAB (Combat Aviation Batallion). Used to fix the armament systems on the Cobra's.

Thats cool re the clones, but just be aware that some clones come out of the same factory.. IE Tarot and Align are exactly identical parts... you just pay 300% more for the name... (personally that is a waste of money to me.)

Don't be misled by the hobby shops or the "Brand name" snobs at the flying clubs.. There is no difference in the way my clones fly compared to the genuine TREX helis...and they are justas durable..i have6 Awesome helis with over 2000 combiined flights and NO mechanical issues EVER..for less than the cost of one Genuine 500 size helicopter.. Bang for buck its a no brainer..

the 450s handle 30 - 35kts of wind fine as you can see in my vids above.. (how much wind are you talking about?)

As for repair costs... Well, if you are planning to crash.. I strongly recommend a clone to learn with, and when youare capable of flying 1000 flights and nevercrashing, upgrade to the Genuine article and build your dream scale FPVmachine knowing you WON'T crash it....

Considering a mild crash in a Genuine heli will cost you around $100 in replacement genuine parts....

VS about $15 in parts for a clone. heck, you can just buy an entirekit and a get aspare EVERYTHING for around $45

But if you have the money to burn.. it is your call entirely... Just trying to show youan alternative that works well for me and many others...

Old 02-12-2011, 05:16 AM

Just another point for consideration..

Where are you planning to fly?

At a club only or also in the local Park?

A 450 can be a dangerous machine and can hurt you if out of control

a 500 or 550 is much more deadly and could kill you.

I fly my 450s in the local park but pack it away if there are too many people around..

I'd never fly a 550 anywhere except a controlled environment like a club... 

Just to be safe...
Old 02-12-2011, 06:15 AM

Have a look here .this is where i get my 550 from.
http://www.helihobby.com/html/align_...RTGRP-550EDX6I
Old 02-12-2011, 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Just another point for consideration..

Where are you planning to fly?

At a club only or also in the local Park?

A 450 can be a dangerous machine and can hurt you if out of control

a 500 or 550 is much more deadly andcould kill you.

I fly my 450s in the local park but pack it away if there are too many people around..

I'd never fly a 550 anywhere except a controlled environment like a club...

Just to be safe...
I plan to fly mine at a local park. So a 450 is about half the size of a 550? The wind factor rally concerns me. I can fly my 120SR in wind, is just that I'd rather not spend the whole battery over correcting for wind.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 02-12-2011, 10:30 AM

I plan to fly mine at a local park. So a 450 is about half the size of a 550? The wind factor rally concerns me. I can fly my 120SR in wind, is just that I'd rather not spend the whole battery over correcting for wind.
<br type="_moz" />
In that case I'd be very wary of getting a larger machine...

I have the 120 SR also... it really can't handle more than about 5-10kts of wind. How much wind do you normally experience?

If you can fly the 120 SR in wind you will EASILY fly a 450 in wind... There is no comparison between the two..

If I can put it in perspective...

the 450 is 5000% more capable in wind that the 120 SR

A 550 might be 20-30% better than the 450 in wind..

Honestly, unless you regularly plan to fly in Gale force windsgreater than 41Kts the 450 will be fine.

I flew mine today in 35 kt gusting winds... no problem at all. The 120SR would have just blown away, even at full forward speed it would have been going backwards..

Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM

Rafael, when you say a ''50'' size, can you reference it against the model I'm seeking to buy? Is it the same?
No, the 50 size I'm referring to, is the same size as a 600 in electric lingo. Much bigger than a 450 or a 500. But after reading the rest of your posts, that option might not viable. I do strongly suggest that you find a suitable flying field with more experienced flyers to help you along. If you want to avoid a LOT OF headache and frustration to the point of quitting, do not try to learn by yourself.

Also, not interested in 3D flying at all. I am what I think you call a ''scale flier''. Eventually would like to go FPV.
A lot of people say that, and after they learn to hover and fly forward, they end up trying a loop and a roll. That is all it takes to get hooked into aerobatics and 3D. Seen it so many times...

Yes, instructions come with the system's box, If you are one of the few that reads them, then you might not be as lost.

Rafael, I was an aircraft armament repairman, 68M10, Echo Co., 1st. Avn. Bn., later redesignated 1st. CAB (Combat Aviation Batallion). Used to fix the armament systems on the Cobra's.
When I was here as a soldier, there were only 3 Brigades, The 1st Brigade of the 1st Infantry Division, the 3rd Brigade of the 3rd Armored Division and the 937th Engineer Group. In recent years, Units from the 1st Infantry Division have been coming back from Germany, the Armored Brigade was sent to their Headquarters, and the units have been re-organized to the point that I barely recognize them anymore. Not to mention, that they have been deployed to Afganistan and Iraq, and the number of soldiers has increased but not by the number that the local communitis expected. At least not yet.

Rafael