Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM
ahamay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

ORIGINAL: rikybob

EDIT: Additionally, as purported by my flying buddies out at the club, since the 550 uses "full size servo's" when a crash occurs, you don't strip them! So it is effectively cheaper to crash a 550 vs. a 500!
I think your flying buddies have sniffed too many fumes at the field....they are just trying to talk you into it. Yes, they maby right re the servo stripping.... I did a quick comparison myself of the costs to repair a standard crashed 500 vs 550 just for my interest. Whilst most the parts are only a few extra bucks for the 550 the main blades are around $60 vs $40 for the 500 (prices from my LHS).

Idid a quick tally for a standard crash assuming no head damage and only the basic repair including, blades, main shaft, feathering shaft, boom, TT, front and rear TT gears and your looking at just over $100 bucks vs $150 bucks for the 550 and this does not include breaking anything else.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: ahamay

EDIT: Additionally, as purported by my flying buddies out at the club, since the 550 uses ''full size servo's'' when a crash occurs, you don't strip them! So it is effectively cheaper to crash a 550 vs. a 500!
I think your flying buddies have sniffed too many fumes at the field....they are just trying to talk you into it. [img][/img] Yes, they maby right re the servo stripping.... I did a quick comparison myself of the costs to repair a standard crashed 500 vs 550 just for my interest. Whilst most the parts are only a few extra bucks for the 550 the main blades are around $60 vs $40 for the 500 (prices from my LHS).

I did a quick tally for a standard crash assuming no head damage and only the basic repair including, blades, main shaft, feathering shaft, boom, TT, front and rear TT gears and your looking at just over $100 bucks vs $150 bucks for the 550 and this does not include breaking anything else.

Hiya Jonesy,

Yah, yer prolly right. The main fella I was conferring with, his name (clue) was Mr. Tarot McAlign. Coincidence?[X(]

In a bizarre spate of counter intuitiveness the guys who fly at the club simply don't care what you fly. The "sport" in and of itself is kind of a solitary one. However, when polled, they will lend their insight.

Shawn, who has flown all the platforms lent his observation that he felt he could get by cheaper on the 500/550 crash.

In light of the fact that I killed an aileron servo simply by leaving my blades crossed in my blade holder lent some credence to his observation

When all is said and done I rekon it boils down to "preference" and "wallet muscle".

I've had both the 450 and 500 platforms several times over and my personal preference is to hang with the 500 class not withstanding that they can be more expensive to fly.

In retrospect, I kind of wish Simon would have weasled me into the 500 class when we first started some three years or so ago rather than the 450, it was fun but the 500 is "Funner"!

Sadly (or gladly) enough out of many hundreds of flights I've yet to crash the 500, it will come soon enough I rekon.

Clear skies!

b

Old 10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
ahamay

Yah, yer prolly right. The main fella I was conferring with, his name (clue) was Mr. Tarot McAlign. Coincidence?[X(]
b
Yeah Iknow the bloke.... he's mates with HK McMonkeymetal.

From my experience since I've started flying you get to a point where you can fly comfortably and unless you have some mechanical or electrical failure out of your control, or your trying some mad smack maneuver that you probably should be trying on the mcpx first.... crashing is less of a problem. Which makes owning this type of bird very appealing.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: ahamay

b
Yeah I know the bloke.... he's mates with HK McMonkeymetal. [img][/img]

From my experience since I've started flying you get to a point where you can fly comfortably and unless you have some mechanical or electrical failure out of your control, or your trying some mad smack maneuver that you probably should be trying on the mcpx first.... crashing is less of a problem. Which makes owning this type of bird very appealing.

(McMonkeymetal Hhehehe)

It IS nice when you come to a point where you crash less and less. I recall the moment a few seasons back and it made me HAPPY!

I think what really bothers my Scottish sensibilities is, is I CAN'T FATHOM the thought of coughing up 1K for a "toy" (Align 550)! Mother of GOD that's a lot of money! When for 1/2 of that the HK500GT is a great buy. 1/2 the cost of the build being the batteries (5 are NICE to have)!

A HUGE leap for another copter isn't in my near future!!

All the best!

b
Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM
pushinoldrc
My Feedback: (46)

I've had both the 450 and 500 platforms several times over and my personal preference is to hang with the 500 class not withstanding that they can be more expensive to fly.

In retrospect, I kind of wish Simon would have weasled me into the 500 class when we first started some three years or so ago rather than the 450, it was fun but the 500 is "Funner"!

Sadly (or gladly) enough out of many hundreds of flights I've yet to crash the 500, it will come soon enough I rekon.

Clear skies!

b

I have crashed the S41T outa mine and found that Irarely bend the feather shaft or even the main shaft, unless its inverted when it hits the ground. Ican't remember the last crash that bent a boom, but I need to shut up about that.

I do love my 500 size helicopters more than the 450 class, but Ithink it is because Ican see them better. It is MUCHeasier to work on the 500 and the Gaui425.
I have a 3G system on an HDX 450, and it is fairly good. I still have the same problem with up-elevator at high speeds much like Simon was experiencing, but mine it caused by the gains not being set up right - still have a bit of work to do.

Great discussion. I am reading on the edge of my seat.
Bryan

Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 PM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

Yes the larger birds are easer to work on but the is a cost to having them. I do prefer the 500 and now the 550, over all the 550 is a little more stable than the 550 both are great, as far as cost I think they are about equal, the 550 costs a little more up front but the pucker factor comes in when flying ans you seem to bemore careful, or at least I am.
 the 500 seems to me more nimbel. I guess it depend on the place you will fly. with a 550 a larger space is recomended.
I love both sizes, the 550 is easer to see at a distance, but if you can fly 450 far away the larger bird will be a pleasure.
 Bryan is correct if you want to go 550 class and have none of the mechanics I would also recomed the align super combo.
 It's a lot to bite off in the begining but going the other route you must make a super combo and the savings to me are not worth the headace
of making every thing fit anf fly right.
As far as the hk 550 the price of 145.00 is good but the shipping sucks 50.00 so you are at 200 for the basic kit without all the goodies.
It worked for me because I had all the other items i needed.
If you put a talley sheet on every thing I had plus the hk kit I have almost as much as the align super combo.
Still she flys great.
 Well thats my 4 cents worth
Hugh
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Rob2160

Hiya Kidz!

Had a really nice day today!

Looks like preliminarily my new reflux meds are working!

After my dentists appointment I met with "Cort" at the flying field and delivered my HK450GT T/T and ALL the sundry parts to include batteries to him!

It felt wonderful! I think my love for the "random act of kindness" is only equaled by my need to NOT have things laying around that I'm NOT using (or the anti Simon/Rob behavior) and that someone can make perfectly good use of!

For now I will support the 500 platform only in money and time!

One of two things will happen. I will just stay with the 500 class and move up to the 550 or get out of heli's all together!

I visited with all the boys out at the club and got footage of "Patrick" flying but the video somehow became "corrupt" Grrrrr!

I explained my plight to one of the guys who is very accomplished and his take was that it really wasn't a bad idea that if I stay in the hobby to explore the HK550. He suggests that folks are snobbish about it and that an HK550 is NOT a bad route to go! This will yet to be seen as I haven't made a decision. To "sweeten" the pot further he indicated quite clearly that if I were to crash a 500 vs. a 550 that the 550 would cost less to repair in that full size servos seldom "strip" their gears! Hmmmmm more food for thought!

Bryan noted on my YT page that it costs a lot more to repair a 500 than a 450 but I submit two things. I have never (with the exception of set up error and recall that I didn't "crash, but auto'd in) crashed my 500's (yet)! The 450's on the other hand....

Further, trying to keep up a seldom flown platform (the 450) takes money/time away from the large class heli's!

(Damn, I'd make a good attorney)

Anyhooooooo I'm 450less as of today and it secretly feels GREAT!

All the best!

b

PS Which one of you bizzzizzzzzaches broke the HobbyKing website??[:@]

A supremely generous gesture giving your 450 away... Yeah.. 550 size is good.. super stable in the air... I am very tempted to try a HK550 also..

I be here now..

PS... lots of Rabbits in China.(Aussies will get it..)

PPS.. cannot access a single Youtube Vid, all blocked and censored in China.. very strange.. (most of my favourite sites are blocked too... Hmmm..)

Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Flying Fiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi One and All,

Sad day, just sold my Gaui X5 FBL.

And Brian my old pal I don't care what your field buddies are telling you, take it from your Phriend Phil, I've crashed a number of 550's and 500's geez I'm damn near expert at it, and I can swear on anyone's grave that the 550 is way more exy to fix!

So I'm now down to a 500 and a couple of 450's and a 130x. still a good hanger and all quality so I'm keeping my thumbs in. The 130x is great but not as much fun as the MCPX, you just don't feel too inclined to throw it about as much. I've crashed mine 3 times with absolutely zero damage, but I think I've been lucky.

Twelve or eighteen months back I sold my Gaui 425 to this bloke who just contacted me and said he has crashed it and could he pay me to fix it for him. I enjoy tinkering so I didnt quote my lawyers rate and said sure for $100 plus parts. and he's happy with that. Maybe I have a new retirement plan.  I really feel that I should get the manual and talk him through it all otherwise he'll never learn.

Anyhow, back to the coal face.

Rob, I'll catch up soon for that fly and Viddy.

Best Phil
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Ddaddy

rb, just drop $1,800 on a Goblin and hanger queen it in the club house with the others!

The devil made me do it
Ken
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Flying Fiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Brian,

I noticed you referring to the Champ as a great plane to learn on. I completely agree with that - it is what I learnt on, and if you dumb thumb it and your heading for a crash you just let go of the controls, it levels itself and lands (if you drop the throttle).

Also I completely endorse buying the full Align kit for a 550. I haven't had any issues what so ever with my Aligns or Gaui's everything just perfect from the get go, only problem was my thumbs or a lost signal via the DX8 aerial/cable snapping.  My Hobbyking's and Tarots on the other hand have had their share of set up and flying woes.

Been so windy in Sydney for last month I havent had a chance to fly as I always fly both planes and helis, and the planes are way more susceptible to wind.

Best Phil
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 PM
ahamay

Tracking registered packages from China - Well this is a bit hit and miss with Hong Kong Post and China Post tracking numbers. I found a website that does a really good job of tracking parcels leaving Hong Kong. I've only used it for parcels to Australia, but it always works where the official ones do not. If your doing EMS express, you can track it intill it leaves china and then with Aust Post when it arrives here.

If your just getting stuff send via normal registered post at least you can see when it left China. Website is -> http://www.sao.cn/

Jonesy

Old 10-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Edmund2

Brian, you are so right, the bruise was caused by the scope. Lipos are charging again so if the weather holds I will be on the roof in a few hours flying the little thing.

Edmund
Old 10-10-2012, 12:12 AM
rikybob

@ Phil - Yah, you and the flying club guys (and I) concur. The 500/550 class is amazing! As far as the "Champ" I'm going to hook myself up on that and a BL conversion kit from Wow Hobbies and put my MCP X on steriods! As for your buddy and the Gaui, you are in fact generous! Glad you checked in!

@ Robbie - I learned my generousity from YOU! I am more proud of just getting rid of something that was sitting around, NOT getting used whereas someone would appreciated it! As you know, I'm the "anti Rob/Simon" on collecting stuff! Have phun in China and look forward to your return!

@ Ddaddy - Funny you should say that. I may have mentioned before that the Flying Club I belong to is as much a "social club" as a "Flying Club". There are MANY guys there that show up in the morning, put their Goblin's on the table, BS and NEVER actually fly! It's a funny phenom! Man oh man, I'm NOT wired that way! If it doesn't get used, it gets GONE! My mania extendeds to a car garage. My doctrine is that a garage is for a CAR and not your "crap". If you have so much crap that your car doesn't fit in your garage, it's time to get rid of your CRAP! But I digress into a rant......

@ Jonesey - Thanx for the shipping tip!

@ Edmund - Happy flyin'! For me, I'm working a half of midnight waiting for poachers to come, that prolly never will!

@ All - My sunglass cam has finally given up the ghost after over several years of great low fi use! I sprung for what appears to be an HD pair and look for them to come next week! Cool thing is, is that they have clear lenses as well! Will see!

All the best and hope all is well with you and yours!

Brian
Old 10-10-2012, 03:17 AM
Kozzy_98

Interesting opinions on generosity and alike.

I have basically been jumpstarted into the hobby by 3 generous people! Pete who was in the process of giving up the hobby (will say hi to him when I next see him), Rob and Phil.

Also the 500/550 size. While it may be interesting for me, I need to fly the 450 more!!

Fixed my #2 and done some for checks on #3/Beast. If my first HK450GT gives me the wagging tail then I will install my posh git TGY-306G servo.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Flying Fiz

Hi One and All,

Sad day, just sold my Gaui X5 FBL.

And Brian my old pal I don't care what your field buddies are telling you, take it from your Phriend Phil, I've crashed a number of 550's and 500's geez I'm damn near expert at it, and I can swear on anyone's grave that the 550 is way more exy to fix!

So I'm now down to a 500 and a couple of 450's and a 130x. still a good hanger and all quality so I'm keeping my thumbs in. The 130x is great but not as much fun as the MCPX, you just don't feel too inclined to throw it about as much. I've crashed mine 3 times with absolutely zero damage, but I think I've been lucky.

Twelve or eighteen months back I sold my Gaui 425 to this bloke who just contacted me and said he has crashed it and could he pay me to fix it for him. I enjoy tinkering so I didnt quote my lawyers rate and said sure for $100 plus parts. and he's happy with that. Maybe I have a new retirement plan. I really feel that I should get the manual and talk him through it all otherwise he'll never learn.

Anyhow, back to the coal face.

Rob, I'll catch up soon for that fly and Viddy.

Best Phil
Sorry to here the X5 FBL is gone... but I have to agree with you.. the MCPX is way more fun than the 130 X. much safer to crash and practice with at virtually half the cost... Still waiting to get the Nano CPX... (Dang.. the Blade Helis website is blocked here in China too.. )

Look forward to catching up when I get back later in Oct.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

... Still waiting to get the Nano CPX... (Dang.. the Blade Helis website is blocked here in China too.. )
Can't wait to get my hands on the Nano CPX. My LHS has an eval one and they rekon they are only weeks away here. I'll be lining up. The tail blowout issues are solved with this one. The only thing they are recommending is to goto an aluminium swash aftermarket as the balls are so tiny and break easy. From what I've seen, read and watched the nano will be the best heli from blade to date.... fingers crossed.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 AM
ingleburn

Good to see some old faces popping in again.

@ Rob. Wow all the way over in China. Next time mate take some DVD's Hope to catch up when you get back in town.

@ Phil. Still grinding away I see.Yeah the winds here have been crazy.

@ Edmond. Yeah over here we call them idiot marks. Actually had a mate get a black eye from a scope. It hurt so much the next shot he changed hands and guess what? He got a matching pair.

@ Brian. So does this mean we will actually be able to see you fly when your new glasses arrive.

@ all. Steering clear of the 500- 550 talk as I have enough trouble keeping my 450's going and my fields arent big enough to go any bigger at the moment.

Found a couple of interesting items at oomodel that might be interesting.

Tail rotor holders that use thrust bearings. www.oomodel.com/tarot-tl4503405-thrust-bearing-tail-rotor-holder-set-black-p-63945.html

And a Dual Push Tail Rotor Control Set. www.oomodel.com/alzrc-450-pro-dual-push-tail-rotor-control-set-h12055b-p-62363.html

Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 AM
Edmund2

Yeah, I felt like an idiot and my shout translated in English as THUNDER, have a slightly different meaning here in my lanuage.  Adjusted the seat lower and no more problem but I am a bit black in the one corner of my left eye. Bruise still painfull.

Managed only 3 lipos at lunchtime before I was called to resolve some very simple issue. Really cheesed off so I decided to take Friday off to go  farming/flying/shooting for the now long weekend

Edmund
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Ddaddy

Thats a nice find on the tail holder with thrust bearing.

Tried a proxy outside china to get around the block?

Planks! Indeed! Hopefully you'll get to catch a poacher or 2 to cheer you up Wait, maybe a UAV with FPV to look for them

Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 AM
rikybob

Finally a flurry of posts!

Nice to see all (almost all) back for a visit!

Yah, Ingleburn I will be interested to see if the aim is a little better on the NEW glasses!!!

All the best!

b
Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

Thats a nice find on the tail holder with thrust bearing.

Tried a proxy outside china to get around the block?

Planks! Indeed! Hopefully you'll get to catch a poacher or 2 to cheer you up Wait, maybe a UAV with FPV to look for them

Ken in light of [link=http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?7848-Boobs!&p=134161&viewfull=1#post134161]THIS[/link] that you provided me, I think I am getting into FPV!!!!

b
Old 10-10-2012, 07:41 AM
bigpapa1272

Thanks rikybob for the advice.....i do remember hearing about the 550 using full size parts versus the micro.....sounds like a good investment to me......so now to pick the 550 i want......you are probably right about the align being a better than the hk......have you noticed any others that sell a nice 550 class bird that would be reliable also......i am gonna check around and see what i come up with deal wise......later all.....bp
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: bigpapa1272

Thanks rikybob for the advice.....i do remember hearing about the 550 using full size parts versus the micro.....sounds like a good investment to me......so now to pick the 550 i want......you are probably right about the align being a better than the hk......have you noticed any others that sell a nice 550 class bird that would be reliable also......i am gonna check around and see what i come up with deal wise......later all.....bp

I really haven't shopped around.

I like Gaui and I had one for a short time (frame only) until Bryan "stole" it from me!

I liked its engineering a LOT but I want something that I can get parts for locally.

Back when I first started I flew a Big Outdoor Llama and found that it was 20 days before I could get a part and I was too frugal to simply do what an old friend "Spiros" used to do and that's buy EVERYTHING to support the platform at once!

For my type of flying it's the Align all the way 'round!

b

Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM
mmurray70

Hey guys did some testing with my HK-401 gyro again tonight. I adjusted linkages until I had next to no drift in rate mode but no improvement when switching to HH mode.

I did come up with a little trick to eliminate the drift though. I noticed that 5 clicks of LEFT trim makes it pretty decent in HH mode. So I just added the 5 clicks of RIGHT trim to my DX7 in throttle hold mode. So when i plug it in while its in throttle hold, the gyro initialitizes off center and when I switch throttle hold off all three modes (normal, Idle1 and idle2) are in perfect trim at zero. Seems to work fine after several flights. I actually discovered this last night and tried messing with the linkages tonight. Ended up needed the same 5 clicks of trim even after messing with the linkages.

Also the reason it was drifting slightly different for me in different modes was my fault. I had different trim settings in each mode. I didnt exactly realized it but the DX7 has 4 sets of trim settings. They are independant for normal, idle1, idle2 and throttle hold. Just figured I would post it in case anybody here is like me and didnt notice this.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

Ok this one is for my friend Brian is the great state of FL.
I was'ent sure if you were mad at me when this package arrived, but my anel side took over and I had a new challange, Thanks
 It has a few things to finish but here is a little preview, Thanks again  Hugh
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH3LMFPzO1w[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.