Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 AM
bigpapa1272

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Hey all.....just another question for ya.....(i know......he is so annoying!!!!!!.....lol)......have any of yall used the devo line of radios....7.....8s.....and so on.....seen some nice combos for a really good price on the pro v2.....around 370 with the devo 7.....and for 120 more get the 8s with touch screen....seems good as long as the radio is good and all.....anyone know about these?.......bp
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Ddaddy

I buy Tarot parts, particularly feathering shafts, they are the best IMO. Some folks will argue Tarot is better than Align these days.

As for TX, I'd go with a module based system for versatility. A lot of unexplained stuff with spektrum (could be ignorance though).

Some Walkera guys swear by Devo, if you looking for cheap, the moded Frsky 9 is pretty good and versatile (good sticks but cheap feel though).

If your looking to drop $300+, I'd go Futaba module system.

Ken
Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 AM
bigpapa1272

Hey dDaddy.....i am alittle confused on the radios....please explain about the module system.....do you mean that the 3axis system is seperate from the reciever or does it have to do with something else.....i saw the futaba fhss 8j for 280 on towerhobbies with an extra reciever....also had the s8j for around 450 or more i dont remember but the fhss one looks nice.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Kozzy_98

You forgot Rob's JR DSX11!

I am yet to have bought myself a Tarot kit, but so far the HK parts have been good to me. Then again I have only had about 10 flights on my #2 G/MT. That helicopter has a HK450GT frame and bottom plate with HK450MT tail boom, skids, head and tail assemblies.

Rob has a HK450GT that has many flights on it and is still going.

However as Jonesy said he has had a few problems with his.

There is a tail wag on my HK450GT, but that has something to do with the newer HK401B gyros and the DX6i. I will perhaps try the LHGY520, but I will need to figure out how to set that thing up!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 PM
bigpapa1272

Thanks for the input kozz......i do like the hk line and they are a little cheaper but that may be why i have heard things about them to......anyway the jr is a nice radio but alot more than what i want to spend.....but thanks for the kick back and i will let everyone know what i do so yall can help me setup....if i do go with a combo i will let ya know how the devo radios work and all......bp
Old 10-11-2012, 01:36 PM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

There is a tail wag on my HK450GT, but that has something to do with the newer HK401B gyros and the DX6i. I will perhaps try the LHGY520, but I will need to figure out how to set that thing up!
Just to be clear, these are the issues Ihad with my Tarot kits:

- both had the one way bearing pushed into the hub slightly off centre. Cound have fixed this but did not have the tool. Replaced with Align Hub and main Gear
- both had slightly bent torque tube - replaced with Align tubes that break the ends off in a strike.
- Only one had some wierd ass hex size in between m2 and m2.5 for the self tapping screws to hold the battery try in. T6 torques bit fits them perfect so no big deal.
- Second one had the canopy slightly moulded a little too low on the left side closer the the main gear than I would like so I sanded about 2mm off it so it would never hit the main gear.

Apart from those hickups they both fly fantastic. Ispent about $25 in addition to the kits to replace the suspect parts. Mainshafts and feathing shafts were perfectly straight

It's a shame that Align do not do a barbones kit with out 3gx and electronics..... basically taking the combo out of super combo so we can fit whatever we want. Igave align servos a good go only to be bitten so I will never a buy a super combo if it comes with Align Servos. If I did I would flog them off and replace them with something else.

Speaking of servos, I'm really happy with the TGY-306G from hobby king on the tail. I think this servo would also be great as a cyclic servo. They are a bit heaver than a normal servo and I think they are going to become a very popluar standard good quality servo as there are a lot of compaies rebadging them now including tarot.

I am also very happy with my Hitec 5065mg's which Ihave on both helis. The new one has about 20 flights and the first one has around 50 flights and they are as good as the day I got them. Moving freely and zero slop with them powered off and also on.

Jonesy

Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: ahamay

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Just to be clear, these are the issues I had with my Tarot kits:

- both had the one way bearing pushed into the hub slightly off centre. Cound have fixed this but did not have the tool. Replaced with Align Hub and main Gear
- both had slightly bent torque tube - replaced with Align tubes that break the ends off in a strike.
- Only one had some wierd ass hex size in between m2 and m2.5 for the self tapping screws to hold the battery try in. T6 torques bit fits them perfect so no big deal.
- Second one had the canopy slightly moulded a little too low on the left side closer the the main gear than I would like so I sanded about 2mm off it so it would never hit the main gear.

Apart from those hickups they both fly fantastic. I spent about $25 in addition to the kits to replace the suspect parts. Mainshafts and feathing shafts were perfectly straight

It's a shame that Align do not do a barbones kit with out 3gx and electronics..... basically taking the combo out of super combo so we can fit whatever we want. I gave align servos a good go only to be bitten so I will never a buy a super combo if it comes with Align Servos. If I did I would flog them off and replace them with something else.

Speaking of servos, I'm really happy with the TGY-306G from hobby king on the tail. I think this servo would also be great as a cyclic servo. They are a bit heaver than a normal servo and I think they are going to become a very popluar standard good quality servo as there are a lot of compaies rebadging them now including tarot.

Jonesy

I'm told the fall will bring them w/o the 3gx!

b
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM
ahamay

Here is a good way to waste 30 bucks -> http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...selage-BLH3535

Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
ingleburn

Jonesy

If you want to know the best way to change your one way bearing look no further than here. Its pays to have the correct tools.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AATLL3SKwy4[/youtube]

Old 10-11-2012, 03:02 PM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

Jonesy

If you want to know the best way to change your one way bearing look no further than here. Its pays to have the correct tools.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AATLL3SKwy4[/youtube]

Yeah classic.... and thats the exact reason why the developed the removable hub so you don't have to do this to replace the main gear.

I havn't managed to wear out a one way bearing yet and I've never stripped or damaged a main gear. Ihad a spiros load of main gears that I though Iwould need when I started but sold them all with the GT's.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Ddaddy

As for TX's, it takes some history and I may be missing a few points or even be wrong.
Initially lower freq was used and a dedicated channel was needed since there was no encoding with the signal commands. Therefore you could loose control because somethingoperatedon the same freq.
Hence the move from 29 mhz to 72 mhz, more channels and less potential for someone operating on the same frequency, but still unencoded.
Fast forward to spread spectrum (frequencyhopping). JR and Spektrum are the same and are made by JR. Original DSM was frequency hopping on the 2.4 ghz band but it did not use multiple channelssimultaneously. DSM2 brought 2 channelssimultaneouslyand DSMX brought true (opinion) spread spektrum. Futaba used fasst which always used multiple frequenciessimultaneously. All of these are encoded which makes it unlikely to to get channel interference as the TX/RX communicate a good freq on power up.
However there are issues with 2.4 ghz. Line of sight is best and in reality you should always have line of sight. Reflections of the signal can cause strange things to happen, i.e potential loss of control so best to be away from building etc and this shouldn't be a problem. 2.4 ghz in an urban area is very noisy (everything uses it!) but ideally you shouldn't be flying in a crowed urban area and those devices (routers, phones, video, microwaves...) don't check for what channel they will be using. 2.4 ghz is also more attenuated (weaker signal and less distance) from environmental factors but shouldn't be an issue if you can see your bird.
Now there are UHF systems that use spread spectrum and improve many of these issues. However, they have a longer antenna andtechnicallyyou may require a license to operate on those frequencies.
For the most part this is notrelevantto most folks and is partially my research/needs into FPV. But I have had some unexplained spektrum things happen as I think a few of you have also.
So, with a TX that is modular, you can put in manydifferentmodules that operate atdifferentfrequencies to satisfy yourdifferentneeds (if you have diverse needs).
But your doing the right thing, researching
Hope I haven't sounded like a git from another site...
Ken
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 PM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

As for TX's, it takes some history and I may be missing a few points or even be wrong.
Initially lower freq was used and a dedicated channel was needed since there was no encoding with the signal commands. Therefore you could loose control because somethingoperatedon the same freq.
Hence the move from 29 mhz to 72 mhz, more channels and less potential for someone operating on the same frequency, but still unencoded.
Fast forward to spread spectrum (frequencyhopping). JR and Spektrum are the same and are made by JR. Original DSM was frequency hopping on the 2.4 ghz band but it did not use multiple channelssimultaneously. DSM2 brought 2 channelssimultaneouslyand DSMX brought true (opinion) spread spektrum. Futaba used fasst which always used multiple frequenciessimultaneously. All of these are encoded which makes it unlikely to to get channel interference as the TX/RX communicate a good freq on power up.
However there are issues with 2.4 ghz. Line of sight is best and in reality you should always have line of sight. Reflections of the signal can cause strange things to happen, i.e potential loss of control so best to be away from building etc and this shouldn't be a problem. 2.4 ghz in an urban area is very noisy (everything uses it!) but ideally you shouldn't be flying in a crowed urban area and those devices (routers, phones, video, microwaves...) don't check for what channel they will be using. 2.4 ghz is also more attenuated (weaker signal and less distance) from environmental factors but shouldn't be an issue if you can see your bird.
Now there are UHF systems that use spread spectrum and improve many of these issues. However, they have a longer antenna andtechnicallyyou may require a license to operate on those frequencies.
For the most part this is notrelevantto most folks and is partially my research/needs into FPV. But I have had some unexplained spektrum things happen as I think a few of you have also.
So, with a TX that is modular, you can put in manydifferentmodules that operate atdifferentfrequencies to satisfy yourdifferentneeds (if you have diverse needs).
Ken

Someones been spending time on Google

Spektrum is a brand of 2.4Ghz radio designed and manufactured by Horizon Hobby...the same people that in an ideal world would have you binding your spektrum based radio straight up with their spektrum equiped BNF helis lol...... umm guilty

JR Radios used to be Spektrum based using DSM but they have gone away from this and are now using their own protocol based on DMSS which is totally not compatible with Spektrum, DSM or DSMX. One of their radios from memory the x12 can take a DSMX module.

Your correct about the 2.4Ghz band being noisy. I do a lot ot RF and WAN installations and this is a constant issue now that there are so many things using RF.

You would probably be surprised that flurescent bulbs emit 2.4Ghz noise accross most of the WLAN frequencies, microwave ovens do the same. However if your running multiple different WLANS on the same channel or frequency they will happy co-exists and share the bandwidth. Most of the new wireless routers and access points (including home units) will run on 5Ghz and use the 802.11n specification. This is one of the first things I do when I suspect a noisy RF environment.

I'm not really interested in FPV but Im interested to see how long its going to take before governments shut it down. In Australia, last time I checked, if your operating a RC aircraft and it is not under your control using line of sight it's classed as a UAV and is therefore illegal to operate without prior permission and permit etc.

Jonesy

Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 PM
ingleburn

Ken

Spektrum is a brand of 2.4Ghz radio designed and manufactured by Horizon Hobby...the same people that in an ideal world would have you binding your spektrum based radio straight up with their spektrum equiped BNF helis lol...... umm guilty

JR Radios used to be Spektrum based using DSM but they have gone away from this and are now using their own protocol based on DMSS which is totally not compatible with Spektrum, DSM or DSMX. One of their radios from memory the x12 can take a DSMX module.

Your correct about the 2.4Ghz band being noisy. I do a lot ot RF and WAN installations and this is a constant issue now that there are so many things using RF.

You would probably be surprised that flurescent bulbs emit 2.4Ghz noise accross most of the WLAN frequencies, microwave ovens do the same. However if your running multiple different WLANS on the same channel or frequency they will happy co-exists and share the bandwidth. Most of the new wireless routers and access points (including home units) will run on 5Ghz and use the 802.11n specification. This is one of the first things I do when I suspect a noisy RF environment.

I'm not really interested in FPV but Im interested to see how long its going to take before governments shut it down. In Australia, last time I checked, if your operating a RC aircraft and it is not under your control using line of sight it's classed as a UAV and is therefore illegal to operate without prior permission and permit etc.

Jonesy

Thats interesting.
The other day when I was at the hospital I got my tablet out to check my email using one of these. www.telstra.com.au/online-shop/mobile-broadband-product.cfm
Connected ok but after a couple of minutes it stopped connecting and nothing I did would get the connection back even though it had full signal.
Guess there were so many signals at the hospital that it couldnt cope. Ended up swapping the sim to a usb modem and it all worked again.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 PM
ingleburn

Just over on the #16 thread and they have just released a new GUI and firmware.

Improvements include a fix on problem cards, motion activated recording and time lapse recording.

Is there anything this cam cant do? www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 PM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

Ken

Jonesy

Thats interesting.
The other day when I was at the hospital I got my tablet out to check my email using one of these. www.telstra.com.au/online-shop/mobile-broadband-product.cfm
Connected ok but after a couple of minutes it stopped connecting and nothing I did would get the connection back even though it had full signal.
Guess there were so many signals at the hospital that it couldnt cope. Ended up swapping the sim to a usb modem and it all worked again.
Not sure if your talking about your 3G signal or your wi-fi signal, presume wi-fi but yes lots of RF in hospitals, not just their own WLANS but most hospital equipment is bluetooth enabled these days and they are probably using RFID to keep a track of equipment and most likely for security to stop people pinching stuff.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 AM
rikybob

Interesting stuff re: Tx's. Great, short dissertation on the Tx's Ken! I'm just pleased that the Dx6i/7 simply work and work well! When I was a child I literally couldn't even open a catalog that contained these amazing pieces of technology! Now for less than 200 bux you have a Tx/Rx combo that can, with confidence fly a 2,500 USD machine.

I think a lot of money can be spent on Tx but for the money, I like the DX7 a lot. If I just had cash layin' around I would buy the 8. For the most part they won't help you fly better. Only flying will make ya fly better!

Re "Hot Spots". Each time I go camping I use [link=http://junefabrics.com/android/]THIS[/link] either blue tooth or tethered give me true, unlimited data on my Android device via my carrier! Amazing app and all for a one time software fee

Well, today I'm off of the night shifts and will take off for fall vacation to [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlands,_North_Carolina]HERE[/link]HERE on Sunday. It's around the 4000' level! The leaves are changing and it's a beautiful fall! It's a great departure from Florida's perennial summer!

I know it seems crazy to discuss,, but I will. It amazes me that if I were to drive there it would take me 11 hours. But if I drive 35 minutes to my local, small international airport (we have two locally), I hope on a jet and in 70 minutes, that's right 70 minutes, I'm in a whole different part of the world and arrive no worse for the wear!

Amazing stuff!

Going to be lurking for the most part over the next week!

All the best!

b
Old 10-12-2012, 03:18 AM
ahamay

My last order from oomodel finally turned up today.... 5 weeks tomorrow. Not sure what the story was there, usually it's max 2.5 weeks. Just ordered some spares for the PRO's. Tarot have finally fixed the dodgy adjustable rotor head links that had the hole drilled off centre. Looks like a big improvement over the last few Irecieved.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 AM
bigpapa1272

Thanks for all the input on the radios ken.....your knowledge is vast o' wise one.....[&:].....lol.....seriously though i am torn.....i did have a dx6i that went the way of the doedoe thanks to pilot error and concrete steps.....not the fault of the radio although i did not like the cheap plastic feel if ya know what i mean....but it handled e erything with my nano cpx great.....i really like the futaba.....will let yall know
Old 10-12-2012, 06:08 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: bigpapa1272

Thanks for all the input on the radios ken.....your knowledge is vast o' wise one.....[&:].....lol.....seriously though i am torn.....i did have a dx6i that went the way of the doedoe thanks to pilot error and concrete steps.....not the fault of the radio although i did not like the cheap plastic feel if ya know what i mean....but it handled e erything with my nano cpx great.....i really like the futaba.....will let yall know
How bad did youu kill it??

I dropped mine and put new switches in it from Rat Shack!

b
Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Tinkman

I've got a Futaba 7C and I love it.

Joaquin
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Ddaddy

Phoenix server is up. pw is same as last time (see posts)
Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 AM
ahamay

Phoenix server is up. pw is same as last time (see posts)
Cant find the password, what is it. ?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Ddaddy

Our English friend
Old 10-12-2012, 12:39 PM
rikybob

Our English friend
"Ladyboy"?

Y'all have fun! At a resort near Disney for the night!!

b
Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Ddaddy

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Our English friend
"Ladyboy"?

Y'all have fun! At a resort near Disney for the night!!

b
Not his nickname, his given name. Have fun and tell the girls I say "Hi"

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.