Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Kozzy_98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Well, flew 2 packs for my 450 helis today!

As before, I flew my #2 G/MT helicopter, this time was all in idle up. There was also a fair bit of wind, so that was quite a challenge for me. Luckily, this all didn't end in a crash.

So then I put a battery into my #3 helicopter. Im gonna call it the beast because of the 2218 motor and the sound it makes! Did a pre flight check, and the swash would bind when full negative aileron+elevator. I thought that it would be ok for my flying, but then common sense kicked in and I swapped the battery back to the #2. Had another flight in it, and it was nice. Had a few nervous moments with the wind, but no crash! Only niggle was the rudder would go to the left by itself in heading hold mode. Nothing major, I will re-do my tail with this in mind. Probably will change the linkage rod by a few turns and see how that goes. Also need to check my blade tracking as it was a tad off.

Then I whipped out the MCPX. With sentences in my mind like "Thanks to the FBL gyro it basically cuts the wind," I was confident. Lift off was ok, and hovering it in small winds was fine. Then, a big gust of wind came, and it climbed altitude, and also rolled to the right a tad. First I corrected the roll, but then the wind took it way left, and then the tail went absolutely spastic. In despair I tried to level the MCPX. Not sure what happened next, but it forward rolled into the turf.

Inspected damage, and only a linkage rod from the swash to the main blade grip was missing. What a crash resistant heli!

Hope your flights weren't like my flight of the MCPX...
Old 09-08-2012, 10:11 AM
mnemennth

The HK 2218 series are an EXCELLENT motor for the money; I've got 3 of them; 2 in 3200K and 1 in 3550K flavors. All are absolute beasts, as you say (well, once they're balanced); but they run nice & cool and are much more resistant to overloading by excessive pitch than their smaller profile counterparts. I'm certain the oversized magnet structure and increased rotating mass helps quite a bit; I've been thinking about going HV when I build my HDX450, and I think the 1860 would be the bomb with a 4S-5S pack.

As for the MCPx; THATis how pretty much EVERY flight with my Genius CP has been. However, I've discovered after a LOT of research that the issue is likely a combination of firmware and a bad MEMS module on my mainboard. This, of course, long after any applicable warranty, and long after pretty much totaling the heli trying to get it dialed in. Right now it would cost less to buy a new BNF model than to repair it due to the unconscionably expensive mainboard; I'm thinking about picking up a used MCPx mainboard and FrankenHacking it in there. We'll see; gotta get caught up on a mess of bills first.

mnem
*Resisting the urge*
Old 09-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Ddaddy

Ok, I need serious help....will this addiction ever end?!

Just ordered Fatshark Predator RTF FPV... [  [X(] [&:] [:@]    I'm so confused...please don't tell my wife!

Ken
Old 09-08-2012, 01:33 PM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

no I won't tell the wifie!
By the way how about a link so I can see what you got because I'm not sure what it is!
Just installed the hobby mate fbl in my gaui 425, i took the copterx out I just like the programing of the beastx clone better.
I need to make a few adjustments and i hope to put it through it paces tommrow!
I'll try to get some video!
All I hope everyone is doing well.

Brian even with that nice field you seem to keep the heli close, Let her loose!
Take care Hugh
Old 09-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Ddaddy

bit.ly/StCc6K

Old 09-08-2012, 01:49 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: hugj

By the way how about a link so I can see what you got because I'm not sure what it is!
Just installed the hobby mate fbl in my gaui 425, i took the copterx out I just like the programing of the beastx clone better.

Take care Hugh
Ive been thinking about trying the hobbymate out so Ill be interested in what you think about it.
Keep us informed of how it goes and ease of programming etc.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:05 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Well, flew 2 packs for my 450 helis today!

As before, I flew my #2 G/MT helicopter, this time was all in idle up. There was also a fair bit of wind, so that was quite a challenge for me. Luckily, this all didn't end in a crash.

So then I put a battery into my #3 helicopter. Im gonna call it the beast because of the 2218 motor and the sound it makes! Did a pre flight check, and the swash would bind when full negative aileron+elevator. I thought that it would be ok for my flying, but then common sense kicked in and I swapped the battery back to the #2. Had another flight in it, and it was nice. Had a few nervous moments with the wind, but no crash! Only niggle was the rudder would go to the left by itself in heading hold mode. Nothing major, I will re-do my tail with this in mind. Probably will change the linkage rod by a few turns and see how that goes. Also need to check my blade tracking as it was a tad off.

Then I whipped out the MCPX. With sentences in my mind like "Thanks to the FBL gyro it basically cuts the wind," I was confident. Lift off was ok, and hovering it in small winds was fine. Then, a big gust of wind came, and it climbed altitude, and also rolled to the right a tad. First I corrected the roll, but then the wind took it way left, and then the tail went absolutely spastic. In despair I tried to level the MCPX. Not sure what happened next, but it forward rolled into the turf.

Inspected damage, and only a linkage rod from the swash to the main blade grip was missing. What a crash resistant heli!

Hope your flights weren't like my flight of the MCPX...
While the MCPX can handle some wind theres only so much it can take. With the winds that have been around in Sydney lately I wouldnt even try and fly mine.
Tried a flight on my 450 yesterday early before the wind really picked up and it got blown everywhere. Ended up only hovering and battled to land it.

As for your #3 beast if its binding then theres to much cyclic and collective pitch in it. I only have about 7° cyclic and 10° collective on mine and it doesnt get close to binding.
As you are only learning maybe you should lower your ranges until you get the hang of flying it.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:41 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

Just ordered Fatshark Predator RTF FPV... [] [X(] [&:] [:@] I'm so confused...please don't tell my wife!

Ken

I can't even look at you.

For shame!!

b
Old 09-08-2012, 02:42 PM
rikybob

Take care Hugh

Good GOD!

I'm too old!!

I'm just happy to get it back in one piece from the 2 meters I fly from me!

b
Old 09-08-2012, 02:43 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

Take care Hugh
Ive been thinking about trying the hobbymate out so Ill be interested in what you think about it.
Keep us informed of how it goes and ease of programming etc.

A friend at the "Club" loves his............Christmas is JUST around the corner..........what to do.......what to do??

b
Old 09-08-2012, 05:10 PM
hugj

Hey ingleburn this is my second hobbymate fbl unit the first is on the trex500 i love the unit programing is a breeze no computer neede or a sepreat programing unit.
It is a beastx clone so the instruction for the beastx will help in the setup the instruction manual is very basic but if you get one and need help let me know.
is is more stable than the copterx and very responsive.
As Brian in fl says his friend loves his and so do I.
I hope to have a video posted tommrow night of the fist real flight with the gaui 425.
Hugh
Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 PM
ingleburn

Hey ingleburn this is my second hobbymate fbl unit the first is on the trex500 i love the unit programing is a breeze no computer neede or a sepreat programing unit.
It is a beastx clone so the instruction for the beastx will help in the setup the instruction manual is very basic but if you get one and need help let me know.
is is more stable than the copterx and very responsive.
As Brian in fl says his friend loves his and so do I.
I hope to have a video posted tommrow night of the fist real flight with the gaui 425.
Hugh
Good to hear and looking forward to the video.
Had a quick look at the manual and its a bit confusing. Can you use the beastx manual or is it different in the way you program it?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Kozzy_98

Well, had another great day of flying.

This #2 heli is my favourite, only because it flies properly! Over the course of 6 packs, I was flying side to side with some aggression, all while being in complete control! It was amazing to see how much I progressed in the 6 packs! However I will need to check my blade tracking so that it flies more efficiently. Also put about 4 clicks of left trim to correct the tail, but there is still some drift. I will see what I can do to fix this.

On the Beast helicopter, I think I will need to replace the tail blade grips as one of the screws hardly holds one of the blades.

On the #1 helicopter, even though I have a digital servo (HK 933MG) it seems to wag alot @ 62.5 gain, and also seemed to piro to the left. I am not sure how it flies, but when I saw this happening, I backed off the throttle. It also tilts diagonally to the right rear side, even though I have levelled my swash perfectly.

Need to fix these problems before I crash the #2 helicopter.

Flying side to side gave me some ideas on how to do some FF. Most importantly, it told me that once I am flying in a direction, the rudder will not affect it by itself. Instead it requires rudder + cyclic input. Also had a father and son who talked to me after I landed. Had a nice chat, and the father told me about how he had a coaxial but he couldn't get it trimmed, so instead he tried planes. He said that it wasn't as bad, but he gave up because he could fly it for a bit, then he would crash it. Generally when someone asks me questions, I aim to be as polite as possible. After all, they could work for the council and I don't want to give them the image that RC flyers are disrespectful! Otherwise I wouldn't have an oval to fly at locally.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:46 AM
ingleburn

This #2 heli is my favourite, only because it flies properly! Over the course of 6 packs, I was flying side to side with some aggression, all while being in complete control! It was amazing to see how much I progressed in the 6 packs! However I will need to check my blade tracking so that it flies more efficiently. Also put about 4 clicks of left trim to correct the tail, but there is still some drift. I will see what I can do to fix this.

On the Beast helicopter, I think I will need to replace the tail blade grips as one of the screws hardly holds one of the blades.

On the #1 helicopter, even though I have a digital servo (HK 933MG) it seems to wag alot @ 62.5 gain, and also seemed to piro to the left. I am not sure how it flies, but when I saw this happening, I backed off the throttle. It also tilts diagonally to the right rear side, even though I have levelled my swash perfectly.

Flying side to side gave me some ideas on how to do some FF. Most importantly, it told me that once I am flying in a direction, the rudder will not affect it by itself. Instead it requires rudder + cyclic input. Also had a father and son who talked to me after I landed. Had a nice chat, and the father told me about how he had a coaxial but he couldn't get it trimmed, so instead he tried planes. He said that it wasn't as bad, but he gave up because he could fly it for a bit, then he would crash it. Generally when someone asks me questions, I aim to be as polite as possible. After all, they could work for the council and I don't want to give them the image that RC flyers are disrespectful! Otherwise I wouldn't have an oval to fly at locally.

Glad your having fun and getting a few flights in. Keep at it and it will get easier.
Adding trim wont fix the drift you have as the gyro will just think the trim is an imput and will adjust it back again.
More than likely your gain isnt high enough or there might be a vibration issue. What gyro are you using?
Im always ready to have a chat with spectators, unless there the stupid ones that walk onto the field while Im flying.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:00 AM
ahamay

Glad your having fun and getting a few flights in. Keep at it and it will get easier.
Adding trim wont fix the drift you have as the gyro will just think the trim is an imput and will adjust it back again.
More than likely your gain isnt high enough or there might be a vibration issue. What gyro are you using?
Im always ready to have a chat with spectators, unless there the stupid ones that walk onto the field while Im flying.
I think he's using the hk401b and judging by that gain setting it's one of the older ones that actually worked. I did have one that worked on my very first heli, and it seems they all suffer from the left drift but it's fixable.

Ingleburn is dead right about the trim. You don't want any trim or subtrim with these gyros. Take it all out of your tx. Make sure you have the gyro powered up for a little while before you try and make any adjustments as well as they suffer from temperature fluctuations.

You need to dial out that drift in rate mode. Adjust your linkage (or slide the servo on the boom) to add some pitch untill the tail holds and does not drift. Switch to HH mode and it should be locked in much better.

Jonesy

Old 09-09-2012, 04:13 AM
ahamay

I'm happy to say that today (depending on your location) is the one year anniversary of my first and maiden flight of a CP heli. My HK450GT with training wheels had it's first flight in my back yard. Wasn't ideal conditions and was a bit dangerous but after hearing the noise and hovering for more that a couple of seconds.... I was HOOKED! So thanks to all those that have helped me get to where I'm at today and hopefully I've been able to give back a little that Ihave learned along the way to help others. This was my maiden flight.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFIuFm8pVfA&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Old 09-09-2012, 04:20 AM
pushinoldrc
My Feedback: (46)

congratulations Jonesy,

You have definitely come a long way
B
Old 09-09-2012, 01:11 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: ahamay

I'm happy to say that today (depending on your location) is the one year anniversary of my first and maiden flight of a CP heli. My HK450GT with training wheels had it's first flight in my back yard. Wasn't ideal conditions and was a bit dangerous but after hearing the noise and hovering for more that a couple of seconds.... I was HOOKED! So thanks to all those that have helped me get to where I'm at today and hopefully I've been able to give back a little that Ihave learned along the way to help others. This was my maiden flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFIuFm8pVfA&feature=plcp

Wow has it been a year already. I remember watching that video way back then,it was about a month after I maidened mine
You have come a long way Jonesy and thanks for the times you have helped me out.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: ahamay

I think he's using the hk401b and judging by that gain setting it's one of the older ones that actually worked. I did have one that worked on my very first heli, and it seems they all suffer from the left drift but it's fixable.

Ingleburn is dead right about the trim. You don't want any trim or subtrim with these gyros. Take it all out of your tx. Make sure you have the gyro powered up for a little while before you try and make any adjustments as well as they suffer from temperature fluctuations.

You need to dial out that drift in rate mode. Adjust your linkage (or slide the servo on the boom) to add some pitch untill the tail holds and does not drift. Switch to HH mode and it should be locked in much better.

Jonesy

I never could get the drift out of mine but I never tried to set it up in rate mode so that might have been the problem.
Once I switched to the LH GY520 the drift went away. The 401b now sits in my hovercraft and does a great job.
You always had problems with yours, and one of mine.. Has your post office got any better?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Kozzy_98

Ok, I will try to set it up in rate mode and will see if that works.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 PM
hugj

Hey everyone had a great flying afternoon with Bryan and the gang! Flew the old piper pawnee what a joy!
Put the gaui 425 up with the hobbymate fbl unit had a couple of issues right drift.
The problem was a loose unit the gyro pad that came with the unit let loose. came home new pad, test flight in the yard steady as a rock!
Put the trex 500 up with the same unit and had a blast getting my fast forward down and even did a loop well kind of!
I sure do love the fbl unit.
Ingelburn, I did a quick setup video of this unit just make sure to have the pitch at 0 when you teach the unit 6 degrees in the video
I did not have my stick at 50% I had to redo the setup now shes fine. If you get one and have any questions please ask I'll try to help.
The beastx manual helps explane what each peramiter does.
Hugh
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKuoabhAr4s[/youtube]
Old 09-09-2012, 04:08 PM
ingleburn

Hey everyone had a great flying afternoon with Bryan and the gang! Flew the old piper pawnee what a joy!
Put the gaui 425 up with the hobbymate fbl unit had a couple of issues right drift.
The problem was a loose unit the gyro pad that came with the unit let loose. came home new pad, test flight in the yard steady as a rock!
Put the trex 500 up with the same unit and had a blast getting my fast forward down and even did a loop well kind of!
I sure do love the fbl unit.
Ingelburn, I did a quick setup video of this unit just make sure to have the pitch at 0 when you teach the unit 6 degrees in the video
I did not have my stick at 50% I had to redo the setup now shes fine. If you get one and have any questions please ask I'll try to help.
The beastx manual helps explane what each peramiter does.
Hugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKuoabhAr4s
Thanks for doing the video. Only question at the moment is the tail travel limits.
Do you move the rudder stick all the way or only till it starts to bind.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 PM
hugj

only when it starts to bind back off just a touch and let it set!
Old 09-09-2012, 05:45 PM
ingleburn

only when it starts to bind back off just a touch and let it set!
Thanks for clearing that up. Might order one and give it a go.

Just back from flying the 450 and Mcpx. No wind thankfully and tried a few more adventurous moves with the 450 that almost ended in a crash.
I seem to be able to do right turns better than left but working on it.

No video Im afraid but did do one on the MCPX while practising flips.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juMfSQo1H3o[/youtube]

Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 PM
mnemennth

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

Just ordered Fatshark Predator RTF FPV...[][X(][&:][:@] I'm so confused...please don't tell my wife!
Ken
Kewlies!

Let us know what you think of the resolution, or better yet, make some recordings so we can see what you see. Everybody is talking about 720P video, but that's like 5 times the bandwidth of VGA.

mnem
*Dozer-dozing*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.