Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:50 AM
TMFNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

JD,

I am in governor mode, but don't know my head speed... I doesn't bog down at all and takes off like it's insane.... I love this motor....

Going flying....
Old 08-03-2006, 09:13 PM
crash and burn77

i am also in the market for a gyro why futaba401? what about jr 500 is this any good in comparison?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:07 PM
consultjdm

I dont know, but the GY 401 works great.
ORIGINAL: crash and burn77

i am also in the market for a gyro why futaba401? what about jr 500 is this any good in comparison?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Street Flyer

I am going to buy a t-rex 450 SE, and I am wondering how to program the ESC. I will be using the ESC that it comes with.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:23 PM
RiffRaff
My Feedback: (16)

Hello guys! Great thread.

I just finished building my T-Rex SE with CCPM. I am seriously doubting whether I should have installed the servo grommets/brass collars on my CCPM servo's. I left them off the tail servo already. Is this something that should be done, not using the rubber grommets?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Street Flyer

In the T-rex 450 SE, how do you program the ESC it comes with?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:03 PM
catfight

crash,

I use a JR G500t and it works fine- no display for HH/non-HH mode, but no big deal. The 500 holds heading really well - and does not seem to be limited in any way. Most people do get the 401 though. Makes me kind of an outsider

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 08-05-2006, 09:04 AM
RiffRaff

This is a great tutorial on the ESC

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...=esc_setup.wmv
Old 08-06-2006, 09:12 PM
consultjdm

I didnt put my grommets on.

JD
ORIGINAL: RiffRaff

Hello guys! Great thread.

I just finished building my T-Rex SE with CCPM. I am seriously doubting whether I should have installed the servo grommets/brass collars on my CCPM servo's. I left them off the tail servo already. Is this something that should be done, not using the rubber grommets?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:46 PM
ECP666

Street Flyer:

Did you get the ESC programmed? Assuming it's the 35 amp ESC supplied with the kit, I can post a step by step if you need it. I had a time with it until I figured it out, but then it's no big deal.

RiffRaff:

I used HS-65's for the 3 CCPM positions. No cutting or messing around. They fit perfect. I installed them inside the frame, with the balls toward the servo's (except Elevator). They just line up the best that way. I use an Airtronics servo on the tail. I did not use grommets on any of them.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:51 PM
TMFNYC

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone is using the DX6 TX and using the "expo" feature? If so what are you setting the expo too?

Also, I am flying my SE with a JGF 450 and a 13t pinion- I was wondering what would be the best head speed for a pair of 335 blades..... Is a higher head speed better? I am getting hover at 60% stick and a head speed of about 2000.

Thanks....
(What's going on JD)
Old 08-14-2006, 09:35 AM
consultjdm

Im not using expo, and I run at about 2250.
JD
ORIGINAL: TMFNYC

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone is using the DX6 TX and using the "expo" feature? If so what are you setting the expo too?

Also, I am flying my SE with a JGF 450 and a 13t pinion- I was wondering what would be the best head speed for a pair of 335 blades..... Is a higher head speed better? I am getting hover at 60% stick and a head speed of about 2000.

Thanks....
(What's going on JD)
Old 08-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Remyrw

Newbie question here (and non Trex owner so maybe I'm missing something). How are you getting head speed data? Just using a regular hobby tach like with planes or is there something else giving you that data?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 PM
consultjdm

I use an airplane tach that can measure either three or two blades. Of course I set it to two.
Jd
ORIGINAL: Remyrw

Newbie question here (and non Trex owner so maybe I'm missing something). How are you getting head speed data? Just using a regular hobby tach like with planes or is there something else giving you that data?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Remyrw

Thanks. I just ordered my 450XL cde so I'll have to pick one up by the time I'm ready to do powered up testing/setup. That'll be a bit though, no radio, batteries, charger, gyro yet and the kit's at least a week away, maybe two.

Heheh, my list of things needed is getting a bit long but it should be more than worth it. I love my Blade CP but they ARE twitchy and overly airflow sensitive. It was the perfect next step after my CX but the 450xl is definitely the next step for me. An SE's too much, money and heli, but I can upgrade later without having to start from scratch so it's all good.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:06 PM
consultjdm

Think about getting A DX6 for $200. It never Glitches, I am pretty happy with mine. I wish it had more steps in the throttle curve than 3, then Governor mode would be better in nomal mode, but other than that, it has never glitched. I have a Eclipse 7 and although it has better settings there is something about a glitch and seeing your bird hit the ground that I just don't want to deal with considering the investment I have in my TREX. So I am saying I perfer the safty of the DX6 To the better Functions on the Eclipse 7.

Just thought I would give you my opinion, I hope it helps.

JD

Thanks. I just ordered my 450XL cde so I'll have to pick one up by the time I'm ready to do powered up testing/setup. That'll be a bit though, no radio, batteries, charger, gyro yet and the kit's at least a week away, maybe two.

Heheh, my list of things needed is getting a bit long but it should be more than worth it. I love my Blade CP but they ARE twitchy and overly airflow sensitive. It was the perfect next step after my CX but the 450xl is definitely the next step for me. An SE's too much, money and heli, but I can upgrade later without having to start from scratch so it's all good.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:27 PM
RiffRaff

That's odd, I have an Eclipse 7 that I have flown planes with for 3 years and have never had a glitch.

I have a 7CHP for my heli's though.

Riff
Old 08-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Remyrw

Yup, in my other thread about this I mentioned that the DX6 is my first choice for radio. Mostly for the safety of no interference from other radios (both caused and received) and the overall value. I looked at one at the shop today and was pleased with the quality and style. It came with a mini receiver and four good servos so I figure all I need is the esc/motor and gyro to go with my trex. I'm not sure yet how well the S75's will work as a tail servo but at worst I switch it for something else, like a digital if I go with the 401 gyro.

My other primary radio choice is a JR 6102, I like Futaba gear but their comparable radio just didn't seem as nice or fully featured for the money. The DX6 is the upcoming tech and as a computer person I'm familiar with the connection system it's using. You will run into range issues on a system like that but not at distances involved with park flying or helis. They say as much in their product info so there's nothing hidden there. I'm sure that issue will be solved in the future, there's no inherent reason you can't make that tech work for longer ranges, though the benefits start slipping away as long as LOS is being maintained. Essentially these systems are like your high end wireless house phone or router. They select a channel inside the band but even within that channel they are sending identifier codes so each receiver/transmitter only talks to the intended partner and is ignored by everything else. It's a good system, and for folks flying at home or in public areas it's a great bit of extra safety for your own aircraft and those of others. My neighbor flies planes and even though he flies at a regular field I imagine there are times he's testing with a live radio at home. It doesn't hurt to know there's no risk of interfering with his testing or winding up with a wrecked heli because he was checking servo throws.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:39 PM
consultjdm

I guess its where you fly, I use the ECPM recievers also. But, what can I say. It is a very nice TX/RX setup.
ORIGINAL: RiffRaff

That's odd, I have an Eclipse 7 that I have flown planes with for 3 years and have never had a glitch.

I have a 7CHP for my heli's though.

Riff
Old 08-16-2006, 11:43 PM
consultjdm

Well, thats exactly what Im talking about, no risk
pretty cool.
JD

Yup, in my other thread about this I mentioned that the DX6 is my first choice for radio. Mostly for the safety of no interference from other radios (both caused and received) and the overall value. I looked at one at the shop today and was pleased with the quality and style. It came with a mini receiver and four good servos so I figure all I need is the esc/motor and gyro to go with my trex. I'm not sure yet how well the S75's will work as a tail servo but at worst I switch it for something else, like a digital if I go with the 401 gyro.

My other primary radio choice is a JR 6102, I like Futaba gear but their comparable radio just didn't seem as nice or fully featured for the money. The DX6 is the upcoming tech and as a computer person I'm familiar with the connection system it's using. You will run into range issues on a system like that but not at distances involved with park flying or helis. They say as much in their product info so there's nothing hidden there. I'm sure that issue will be solved in the future, there's no inherent reason you can't make that tech work for longer ranges, though the benefits start slipping away as long as LOS is being maintained. Essentially these systems are like your high end wireless house phone or router. They select a channel inside the band but even within that channel they are sending identifier codes so each receiver/transmitter only talks to the intended partner and is ignored by everything else. It's a good system, and for folks flying at home or in public areas it's a great bit of extra safety for your own aircraft and those of others. My neighbor flies planes and even though he flies at a regular field I imagine there are times he's testing with a live radio at home. It doesn't hurt to know there's no risk of interfering with his testing or winding up with a wrecked heli because he was checking servo throws.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:30 AM
ECP666

FYI to the TREX 450 Group:

I have battled a very intermittent glitch problem (sudden power loss) and now have it solved, so I want to share this info. I built a TREX SE with the Align packaged motor and ESC (RCE-BL35G). After trying all the right things (programming, antenna routing, etc) and still having the bug, it finally caught me at a critical time, low and slow, and I crashed. No way I was going to fly again without major changes, so I bought a replacement ESC. The first thing I noticed was the new RCE-35G had a ferrite ring on the throttle/BEC cable. I suspect that is the fix, but the bug is gone in any case, and it was the ESC. I will get this one back to Align and see what the techs have to say. If I learn something more I will post.

08/28/2006 Align has replaced the unit. It should be here Wednesday. Will it have the ferrite ring?

09/01/2006 It didn't. It will have one before it flies though!

I see an ad for Tech Model Products just above my post selling ferrite rings for $2.99! How's that for timing?

Keep the shinny side up....
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Street Flyer

I am going to build a T-rex 450 XL eCCPM, and I am wondering if the Hitec HS-56HBs will fit for the swash.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:53 PM
ECP666

The HS56's work fine if you trim off the plastic mounting tabs on the case, so they tell me. HS65HB's fit sweet right out of the box. I fly them and work fine for me. I use an Airtronics digital (94761) on the tail behind a Futaba GY401.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Street Flyer

I am going to buy a t-rex 450 Xl eCCPM, and the kit comes with a Align 420L and 25 amp speed control. I am wondering if it is necessary to upgrade to the 430L and a 35 amp speed controller to do forward flight and inverted flight.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:40 PM
catfight

street fighter,

Avoid the 420 and 25 ESC if you can - underpowered. I have a 420 and 25 ESC if you want - will sell for $30 for both. Get something better for ESC and motor. I run the JGF 450TH motor and Quark 33A ESC and have no problems doing any maneuvers. A little more money - but a lot more power. I also use the HS-56HB servos- buy extra gear sets - you will need them- just snip off tab carefully and install.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.