Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:46 PM
txaggie08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

jsut to make shure, the blades should start in a neutral pitch position right?..... thats what the instruction said so i assume thats right.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:12 PM
txaggie08

Great. I walked back here to type and got a wiff of burning electrics, walked back into the living room and find that my battery has been damaged when the thing took off, then promptly crashed a minute ago, i have the dumb thing in a pot on the front porch. Any recomendations on disposing of it?

I quit for a while. I will get a new battery when i can afford it, and then let one fo the guys at the field figure this crap out. IM through for a while.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:27 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Oooppss!! I said left side in an earlier post... Yikes, I meant from the right side....

sorry...
Old 02-22-2006, 02:31 PM
txaggie08

sok...

I might be able to get another batt, but it still didnt fix my problem. I did have them going the wrong way, but i tunred them. Again worked on it, same reult. HOWEVER i am starting to wonder now, should the blades start outall the way one driection and the gyro correcting as needed? or should the start up at the 0 pitch point and travel either direction? It seems like im not getting enough physical thrust to keep the tail from spinning(moved the slider farther in and it seemed to help some because the blades had mroe throw.

SOrry, trying to go it alone, and the instructions in the box arent real clear.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:18 AM
txaggie08

left the bad boy wiht someone who knows what there doing today. He says hell call me when it flies right. Easiest thing i could do with it.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 AM
tom_sandiego

Hi Evryone,

I just got the Trex SE and would like to know where I can find the instructions to set up this heli to Airtronics RD6000 super TX.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:54 AM
rcflyerdave

I have my silver framed 450 SE built with Align motor and 35 ESC,(3) 56's and 401 gyro and 9650.This thing is toooo pretty to fly.But I will!Could someone please list the setup for a Fut 9CH as the instructions are vagueI am an Int flyer with Raptors and Blades).I have one other problem.The servo for the elev(rear one)is facing in and to line up ball link as vertical and as left to right as possible the servo horn is back over body of servo and ball on inside of horn.Thia is how some others on forums appears to be setup.This setup has ball rubbing case.Am I missing something?Also I have seen some setup with ball in 2nd hole and some in 3rd.Mine lines up more vertival in 2nd,is this ok?Also what is the best arrangement for all the gear(radio,gyro,esc,&batt)?Any help would be appreciated.
Dave
Old 03-02-2006, 09:59 AM
leejax02
My Feedback: (1)

Been away for a while, just trying to get my raptor in the air. I like the Rex over the raptor, can't wait until they come out with a 30/50 sized Rex.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 AM
MLRRC

Hi All
You guys are great! This thread has been very helpfull in making my decision to purchase a TREX. I have a Question for you pros. My Futaba 7C radio came with an R127DF Rx. I am a big fan of Futaba and this Rx - I have been using this exact Rx for over 10 years in my airplanes without a single issue. I would like to use it in my TREX. I removed the plastic cover and used shrinkwrap over it. It comes in at .8 oz. Removing the cover also took away about 25% of its bulk. Does anyone forsee any problems with using this Rx? I had origionally planed to use an Electron 6 from Hitec but feel that the Futaba is a higher quality Rx @ only a .3 oz penalty and i dont have to spend another $55.00. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 PM
chris b

ORIGINAL: rcflyerdave

I have my silver framed 450 SE built with Align motor and 35 ESC,(3) 56's and 401 gyro and 9650.This thing is toooo pretty to fly.But I will!Could someone please list the setup for a Fut 9CH as the instructions are vagueI am an Int flyer with Raptors and Blades).I have one other problem.The servo for the elev(rear one)is facing in and to line up ball link as vertical and as left to right as possible the servo horn is back over body of servo and ball on inside of horn.Thia is how some others on forums appears to be setup.This setup has ball rubbing case.Am I missing something?Also I have seen some setup with ball in 2nd hole and some in 3rd.Mine lines up more vertival in 2nd,is this ok?Also what is the best arrangement for all the gear(radio,gyro,esc,&batt)?Any help would be appreciated.
Dave

Hey rcflyerdave, I used HS56's all round on the cyclic and the same as you on the tail, I had to put the servo's in backwards forwards, ball links inside and out. Whatever worked correctly! I spaced the aileron and elevator servo's to stop any rubbing and to assure that the control rods were perpendicular to the control horns and the control surface. The only issue I had with the 9C was getting the servos operating the right direction, make sure your swash plate is set on SR-3 and with my set up having the servo's the way they are, I only had to reverse aileron, throttle (I did rudder too only because I wanted the servo in a certain position) you may be different, the instructions tell you what the swash plate should do with the movements of the sticks on page 16 of the manual. I was not too worried about the 2nd or 3rd hole thing, just put the ball link in whatever hole it needs to be to assure that the control rod is as close to 90 degrees as possible. I have my Rx in the rear opening, the gyro on top of the tail, the speed controller where they say to put the battery and the batt in the front tray compartment only because I have neon lights around the heli that I like to show off! My heli is about 1.5 degrees tail heavy as apposed to nose, but I like it like that.
Hope that helps! Let us know if you need help with throttle/pitch curves/gyro setup.
Chris B
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95889.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	418750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31734.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	418751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62802.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	418752  
Old 03-02-2006, 01:49 PM
chris b

[&:]Oops!! Guess I uploaded the pictures twice... How do I get myself into these things??
Old 03-02-2006, 02:08 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

What modifications need to be made to the HS-56 servos to fit the carbon frame? I need to pick up some cyclic servos this weekend and it going to be the HS-56's or HS-65's. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:39 PM
chris b

ORIGINAL: ptgarcia

What modifications need to be made to the HS-56 servos to fit the carbon frame? I need to pick up some cyclic servos this weekend and it going to be the HS-56's or HS-65's. Thanks.
Hey ptgarcia, I am not familiar with the HS 65 servo, however the only mod needed for the HS 56 was to cut off the vertical mounts and the mounting on the underside of the servo. Also to make life easy, align and pre drill the holes you need to accommodate for how you are going to mount it before you put the frame together. It is a pain to do it after the frame is assembled. I cut up and sanded an old control horn to achieve the correct spacing for the aileron and elevator servos in the frame. I went with the HS 56's because there was no slop at all; the servo was tight and has been a great performer so far.

Name:	Sq47631.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	418793  
Old 03-02-2006, 04:00 PM
tom_sandiego

I don't know if any one use Naro servor, I have that in my SE and it fit perfectly without modification. I don't know about the quality of this servo from it specification compared to Hitect 56 this servor faster and more torque than hs-56

Name:	Yv65850.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	418831  
Old 03-05-2006, 02:34 PM
chris b

From the specs, the Naro servo looks to be a good servo, and the torque is a lot more than the HS 56. However, if everything is tight and bind free as it should be, there is more than enough torque from the HS 56, and I (personally) wouldn't be able to notice 2 1/100's of a second in speed over 60 degrees.
That said, I am still learning 3D flight with it and am still very much in the learning stages of inverted flight also.
What prompted me to go with the HS 56 over the 55's or anything else what the fact that there is (what feels like) zero slop in the gears. The servo is rock solid. With the exception of digital servo's, I have never had such precision, I love em!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:05 PM
dajensen

I found a great new servo from futaba that I am using on my Trex. The S3110 here are the specs.

S3110 Micro Servo-J
FUTM0046
Volts Torque Speed
4.8V 22.208 oz-in. 0.1 sec/60° (deg)
6.0V n/a n/a

Dimensions Weight
0.9 x 0.4 x 0.8 in. 0.26 oz.

I use it for all 4 servos, I found it to be a great analog tail servo with my GY-401 gyro. Also I should mention that this is a very tight servo, in that it has NO noticeable slop or centering issues.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:07 PM
langya
My Feedback: (43)

ORIGINAL: dajensen

I found a great new servo from futaba that I am using on my Trex. The S3110 here are the specs.

S3110 Micro Servo-J
FUTM0046
Volts Torque Speed
4.8V 22.208 oz-in. 0.1 sec/60° (deg)
6.0V n/a n/a

Dimensions Weight
0.9 x 0.4 x 0.8 in. 0.26 oz.

I use it for all 4 servos, I found it to be a great analog tail servo with my GY-401 gyro. Also I should mention that this is a very tight servo, in that it has NO noticeable slop or centering issues.
This is what i have also but the size dont fit the heli itself..The mount is a little short and the body is a little thin. I also use a 3111 and it does do the same. Is there a way to fit it in right perfect?. The only one i found that fit perfect on the trex is the 55's ..Help would like to use the 3110 and 3111 for my SE extreme..thanks
Old 03-07-2006, 11:04 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I found the S3103 fit perfectly, but I have had bad luck receiving the long arm required for the T-Rex. I bought 4 new S3103's and two came with the long arm and two did not.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:38 AM
smadadet

Since I don't intend to fly upside down in the near future, I'm wondering if there is any disadvantade to setting up the collective pitch with a bathtub curve. That is having lots of pitch at zero throttle with declining pitch to 50% throttle and then increasing pitch again beyond 50% throttle. The reason for setting it up this way is to have the heli have positive pitch when the throttle is quickly shut down when I get in trouble and thus allowing the heli float down instead of being driven down hard. What problems might this cause? Is there a better way to set up the collective pitch if I never plan to fly inverted?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:04 PM
smadadet

ORIGINAL: chris b

Hey ptgarcia, I am not familiar with the HS 65 servo, however the only mod needed for the HS 56 was to cut off the vertical mounts and the mounting on the underside of the servo. Also to make life easy, align and pre drill the holes you need to accommodate for how you are going to mount it before you put the frame together. It is a pain to do it after the frame is assembled. I cut up and sanded an old control horn to achieve the correct spacing for the aileron and elevator servos in the frame. I went with the HS 56's because there was no slop at all; the servo was tight and has been a great performer so far.
An alternate method that I used was to both cut away the vertical mounts as you suggested, but to also cut a slot in the center of the remaining mounts and use a large washer with the screws when mounting it into the existing frame holes. Neither choice is very elegant, but I would rather cut up a servo than take the chance on damaging the frame by cutting new holes.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:12 PM
smadadet

I've been practicing hovering indoors with a tether on a carpeted floor. Sometimes the heli will come down tail first and the vertical tail fin will snag on the carpet, bend and get chopped up by the tail rotor. I've discovered a simple way to prevent this. Cut a long narrow strip of plastic from one of those impossible-to-open plastic containers that kids toys or CD's come in and use super glue to attach it to both sides along the length of the vertical fin. This plastic is very tough and light weight and will give the fin the strength to withstand a tail first landing without breaking or geting chopped up.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:39 PM
chris b

ORIGINAL: smadadet

ORIGINAL: chris b

An alternate method that I used was to both cut away the vertical mounts as you suggested, but to also cut a slot in the center of the remaining mounts and use a large washer with the screws when mounting it into the existing frame holes. Neither choice is very elegant, but I would rather cut up a servo than take the chance on damaging the frame by cutting new holes.
Just to clarify, when drilling holes for mounting, I am referring to the servo tab (see pic), not the frame. As smadadet says, " would rather cut up a servo than take the chance on damaging the frame" I COMPLETELY agree!!

Name:	Db85581.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	422883  
Old 03-09-2006, 11:28 AM
s.patton

Cmon txaggie08,

I started reading your story and got into it. I want to know the final outcome. It was one of the better helidramas I have enjoyed. Did your friend get it figured out? Give us another episode. Thanks Scott.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:50 AM
iceman101

In the process of building MY Rex SE V2 and have a few questions.

RE: Model Setup

MY SETUP:

Kontronik Jazz 40-6-18 ESC
Align 430l 3550Kv (silver ends) BL Motor
Futaba GY401
Align 9G servos
2 Lightning Apex 11.1V 2200mAh Batt
7ch Hitec QPCM RX
Hitec Eclipse 7 TX (synth)

Will those servos hold out for hovering ? (still in the learning stages). What head speed should i aim for and using which pinion?
If there is anyone reading this who has some experience with the Jazz can you tell me what throttle 'curve' % i should be using?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: REFLEX Setup

I downloaded a T-rex SE model off rc-sim.de was wondering which parameters i should modify to make it react like the real thing

Thanks......ICE
Old 03-14-2006, 09:55 AM
smadadet

Big problem! Does anyone know how to separate the plastic tail drive gear from its shaft? The gear threads got stripped so I bought a new tail drive gear assembly (HS 1013-1) but to install it into the aluminum retainer, the plastic gear (which is too large a diameter to pass through the hole which captures the bearing) must be removed from the shaft. How can this be done without destroying the gear in the process?
HELP!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.