Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

new mgt 8.0 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:21 PM
midwestruckster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new mgt 8.0 owner

Hey guys I'm getting back into rc nitro and I bought the mgt 8.0 I've been out of the hobby for awhile and I don't want to get in over my head. Looking for people who have tips on upgrades and tunning. She was stuck in 1st gear so I think I was running way to rich had to buy a better glow igniter just to get her to start. Once I did that and I leaned out the fuel she hits second everytime and flies. So any help would be great. Have a good day RC'ers.

Last edited by midwestruckster; 03-22-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:34 AM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by midwestruckster
Hey guys I'm getting back into rc nitro and I bought the mgt 8.0 I've been out of the hobby for awhile and I don't want to get in over my head. Looking for people who have tips on upgrades and tunning. She was stuck in 1st gear so I think I was running way to rich had to buy a better glow igniter just to get her to start. Once I did that and I leaned out the fuel she hits second everytime and flies. So any help would be great. Have a good day RC'ers.
One trick that I do on a new engine start up ,is to loosen up the glow plug to start it.That relieves some pressure when starting do to high compression
an the tightness of the sleeve/piston.
After it starts ,pull the igniter an tighten the plug up as its running.It also relieves the starter unit.

Always check for air leaks in fuel tank & fuel lines!...
Old 09-08-2016, 04:42 AM
RCaddict80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello there,i just bought a brand new MGT8.0 2 days ago and managed to get 6 tanks ran through (barly) and i cant tune this thing to move out of its own way for nothing!!! i finally got it to fire right up and idle but as soon as u give it throttle it dyes. if i lift the wheels in the air and graduallty raise the rpms it loads up and stalls.im using blue thunder 20% and im so desperate im about to pay someone to tune it. should i not be using BT20%? should i be using 30%? im a 15 year master auto mechanic and own may nitros and never had this much trouble on a brand new engine. any carb tips, setting tips would be great.FACTORY CARB SETTING DONT MEAN ANYTHING!! THEY MUST BE WAY OFF! if someone could please tell me there needle adjustments and where there at to atleast get this beast rolling down the road would be awsome thanks
Old 09-08-2016, 05:51 AM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by RCaddict80
hello there,i just bought a brand new MGT8.0 2 days ago and managed to get 6 tanks ran through (barly) and i cant tune this thing to move out of its own way for nothing!!! i finally got it to fire right up and idle but as soon as u give it throttle it dyes. if i lift the wheels in the air and graduallty raise the rpms it loads up and stalls.im using blue thunder 20% and im so desperate im about to pay someone to tune it. should i not be using BT20%? should i be using 30%? im a 15 year master auto mechanic and own may nitros and never had this much trouble on a brand new engine. any carb tips, setting tips would be great.FACTORY CARB SETTING DONT MEAN ANYTHING!! THEY MUST BE WAY OFF! if someone could please tell me there needle adjustments and where there at to atleast get this beast rolling down the road would be awsome thanks
The factory carb is for break-in! you should start leaning the Hsn some about 1/4 to 1/2 turn ,then you will here the engine start to run smoother.
Also as you lean it out ,it may start to rev or idle higher ,so you will have to adjust your idle set screw accordingly.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:48 AM
RCaddict80

im a brand new MGT 8.0 owner and i can tell you that im not very satisfied at this point.i had my LHS order me the MGT because after months of research,forums and you tube videos i had it down to the savage XL 5.9 or the MGT 8.0. i brought the MGT home last tuesday and it hardly started up. i got the engine to the point to where it would fire right up and idle great but nothing more.throttle it and fall on its face.tried to start it again after barly getting 3 tanks through it and one way bearing cracked.then i took a closer look and the 4 screws that hold engine plate on the side of block all 4 screws was loose!! thus why it wouldnt tune! sent the engine in to team associated friday because i want them to make sure the lean condition didnt create any further engine damage plus the OWB on back order till end of september. but the truck looks nice on my shelf with the rest of my collection!! lol
Old 09-12-2016, 04:51 AM
RCaddict80

just really sucks dropping $500 on a brand new nitro truck and this is what happens. im a master certified mechainic and been tuning nitros and rebuilding them since i was 16 years old. im no newbi but this kinda sucks! im thinking i shouldve ordereed the savage xl but i already own a savage x 4.6 and wanted the biggest and badest truck out there!! i seen and heard alot of awsome stuff about that 8.0 engine. im sure it will be awsome once i get the engine back from team associated and reinstalled.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:52 AM
RCaddict80

ive already been debating on dropping $200 on the LRP 32 engine and keeping the new 8.0 as back up. but i dont think that 32 engine will have the torque and make that truck wheelie and have the balls that the 8.0 has. any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2016, 04:58 AM
RCaddict80

hey thanks for the tuning advice. however the OWB cracked and the bolts that hold the plate to the engine block was loose.thus creating lean condition. positive thats why i couldnt get it to tune.i called team associated they told me to send the engine in and they will go over it replace what needs to be replaced and start it and get it roughly tuned. they might even replace the engine entirely beings its brand new to begine with. im pretty sure all it needs is a one way bearing and seal the mill but i didnt wanna take the chance of further damage or diminishing the longevity of the engine. plus owb ON BACK ORDER TILL LATE SEPT BY THEN ASSOCIATED WILL HAVE ENGINE BACK TO ME i will keep you posted on this animal.lol i was debating on ordering the LRP 32 from ebay only $200 and keeping the 8.0 for back up but find it hard to beleive the 32 will create the wheelie popping torque that the 8.0 does.plus i shouldnt have to dump another 200 on top of the already 500 just to get a properly running truck.reply with thoughts please and thank you
Old 09-12-2016, 06:02 AM
cbaker65

hey thanks for the tuning advice. however the OWB cracked and the bolts that hold the plate to the engine block was loose.thus creating lean condition. positive thats why i couldnt get it to tune.i called team associated they told me to send the engine in and they will go over it replace what needs to be replaced and start it and get it roughly tuned. they might even replace the engine entirely beings its brand new to begine with. im pretty sure all it needs is a one way bearing and seal the mill but i didnt wanna take the chance of further damage or diminishing the longevity of the engine. plus owb ON BACK ORDER TILL LATE SEPT BY THEN ASSOCIATED WILL HAVE ENGINE BACK TO ME i will keep you posted on this animal.lol i was debating on ordering the LRP 32 from ebay only $200 and keeping the 8.0 for back up but find it hard to beleive the 32 will create the wheelie popping torque that the 8.0 does.plus i shouldnt have to dump another 200 on top of the already 500 just to get a properly running truck.reply with thoughts please and thank you
Lol....I already had my fair share with that engine!...I blew two brand new 8.0's up back to back when they first came out ,they are a weak engine &
sensitive engine ,an only a handful of people was able to get along with it!

I gave up on it an bought an Hpi 5.9 engine for my truck an that was about 8 years ago ,an it still runs strong!
The truck itself is very durable & bullet proof for bashing!

The 8.0 engine has a lot weak points including the starter unit an the rod is the same size as an engine half its size.
The rod is crucial because of the high compression an tight pinch ,so therefor ,the rod & starter gets hammered on start ups ,in
which can destroy them especially when the engine has a heavy fuel setting at almost on the vurge of going into a hydraulic lock.

That's why I suggested on loosening up the glo-plug an leaning the engine a tad on the first start up!..
Old 09-12-2016, 12:18 PM
RCaddict80

so question for ya...does that HPI 5.9 have similar torque capabilities as the 8.0 had? will the 5.9 lift the front wheels off the ground?
Old 09-12-2016, 05:09 PM
cbaker65

so question for ya...does that HPI 5.9 have similar torque capabilities as the 8.0 had? will the 5.9 lift the front wheels off the ground?
Wheelie all day long ,an easy to tune!
Old 09-13-2016, 04:26 PM
cbaker65

The Hpi 5.9 isn't the best ,but is reliable & strong for a descent price!
Old 09-15-2016, 05:15 AM
RCaddict80

just an update for you..team associated called me monday (actrually spoke to the mechanic working on engine) he had me on the phone for 45 minutes!! good stuff man. he told me from what he can see theres no engine damage from the engine plate bolts being loose.however hes going to dissasemble the engine replaced everything that needs to be replaced including the OWB and install the engine in his test truck, run it and tune it with 30% sidewinder fuel (since i told him id be running 30% nitrotane) then he told me after i get engine back NEVER TO TOUCH THE MID AIR FUEL MIXTURE SCREW!!! on ly low end and top end and only to barly tweek it. so thats all great news should have engine back to me by tomorrow(friday)
Old 09-15-2016, 05:23 AM
RCaddict80

another question for you MGT owners. i have a new set of proline big joe 40 series mounted on rims comming in today i need 17mm hex adaptors. should i get the whole hub/adaptor and nut set up like the traxxas 5353x? or should i just get like some HPI 17mm hexes that will slip right over the axles? if i decide to go with the whole hu/nut assembly will the proline rims except the larger whole that it needs to mount them? any advice will be hepfull.i already got the traxxas hub adaptors but they wont work because of the axle pin is too close to the bearing. i could either modify the adaptors and shave them doen to fit but then they might rub on the plastic hub carrier.whats your suggestion and suggestions please and thank you
Old 09-15-2016, 12:36 PM
cbaker65

Sweet ,the 8.0 isn't a bad engine ,you just have to learn how to manipulate it! It is a touchy engine!

An +1 on the sidewinder 30% fuel ,it is one of the best!...
Old 09-21-2016, 04:46 AM
RCaddict80

ok just a quick up date for you guys on my new MGT 8.0. recieved the engine saterday from team associated.(turn around time was amazing!!) AWSOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!) installed engine. picked up fresh gallon of nitrotane 30% made by VP fuels (because team associated advised greatly against blue thunder) fired it up and it seemed to run fairly good. performed another break in procedure. then it was time to start leaning and tuning for performance. while tuning this engine could only get it to run fairly decent..pick front wheels in the air..and decent on top end speed but couldnt get the temps how i wanted them. coolest i could get it to run was 280-290 degrees with top off. so then when i had no other options left...i pulled the carb off,resealed the carb and resealed the engine side plate. let it dry fired it up and it was running so dam rich it was unreal!!! so i had to lean it out BIG TIME! now its running 240 and when im doing donuts and running it hard in a small area it reaches 255 and sometimes it might reach 260 but not for long. i cant beleive it man...spend $600 on a new truck and have to take motor apart and seal it up just to make it run properly!!! on a good note..i could still lean it more, the mechanic at team associated said it wont hurt that engine to run it at 270-280 if need be as long as its blowing smoke out exhaust. but right now its pulling wheelies and running a tad rich and the more i drive it the better and stronger it seems to run. so after i run a full gallon im gonna leave the big joe tires on it and lean it out some more. i put the big joes on but i could tell the engine is working a tad bit harder to turn thoes big knobbys! and during the first gallon i want as little resistance as possible on the engine.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:50 AM
RCaddict80

also quetion for you gents... i picked up the optional header pipe and installed the ofna hyper polished muffler 1/8 scale muffler.it was the only muffler i had out of 4 that looked good no scratches or dents. does any one have any experiance in changing the exhaust system on the MGT 8.0? i head i have to lean it quite a bit with new exhaust becuase of the new pressure in the fuel tank is gonna be a whole lot more than before and becuase of cylinder scavaging. but once its dialed in i guess that optional pipe set up really WAKES THIS ENGINE UP! does anyone have any REAL experiance with the optional pipe set up? any thoughts would be great because i havnt even started it up yet untill i hear something from you guys thanks again for all your help
Old 09-22-2016, 07:36 AM
RCaddict80

Quick update. Got it tuned up pretty good with the new optional header and tuned pipe. Had to lean it out a little bit but not nothing too crazy. It really runs awsome now.alot more power its almost unbeleiveable how much better that engine runs and sounds with the new exhaust set up.next im thinking about ordering the rb inovations super charger set up for it. I think thats a cool design. Any thoughts out there on that product? As always thanks
The following users liked this post:
olivierplayer1 (01-18-2022)
Old 09-22-2016, 05:39 PM
cbaker65

Quick update. Got it tuned up pretty good with the new optional header and tuned pipe. Had to lean it out a little bit but not nothing too crazy. It really runs awsome now.alot more power its almost unbeleiveable how much better that engine runs and sounds with the new exhaust set up.next im thinking about ordering the rb inovations super charger set up for it. I think thats a cool design. Any thoughts out there on that product? As always thanks
lol.....you better stop while your ahead!
That engine already has enough power ,besides ,a supercharger is very controversial!......They don't work!

I'm glad that you got everything situated!....
Old 09-23-2016, 05:09 AM
RCaddict80

thanks man it reall y runs good. still a touch on the rich side but after i get a gallon through it im gonna start leaning it some more.clocked it with my iphone at 36mph when it was running a little richer. i read most folks are getting 45-50mph out of theres. wonder how? and there claiming stock gearing. im thinkiung about switching to byrons 30% on my next gallon. because its got 14% oil content in it. whats your thoughts on that brand fuel? should i stick with the nitrotane 30% by VP fuels?
Old 09-23-2016, 05:13 AM
RCaddict80

yes i have heard alot of stuff about the nitro super chargers. and ive heard alot of great things also but more cons than pros thats for sure. have u ever heard of the dual exhaust system for the mgt 8.0? looks pretty swetet and theres a youtube video of one it sounds super super awsome. theres also a video of a Tmaxx with super charger and the LD logics dual exhaust sytem an when he started that thing and reved it up alittle bit it sounded WICKED!!! to the point of almost being scary! lol but i wonder how it performs! engine sounds super strong but that dosnt mean a whole lot i supose. any thhoughts or upgrade thoughts would be greatly apprechiated as always ..thanks in advance
Old 09-26-2016, 08:22 AM
RCaddict80

so i actually got some REAL run time in with the new MGT 8.0 on sunday. me and a good friend of mine went to the park in flushing (he has a tricked out Tmaxx 3.3) ran them for a good couple hours. ran through a whole gallon easily! im getting on average about 6-7 minutes per tank with 30% and it has a 150cc tank. so if you do the math thats about 150minutes per gallon!! on a good note..THIS TRUCK IS A BEAST!!! got the temps running around 240-260 depending on if im doing speed runs or donuts in the dirt. im super super happy with the MGT!! that carb is so touchy its unreal! never owned a nitro with such a touchy carb. if i tweak the low side a hair lean it doing wheelies and running 270 degrees. if i tweak it back the other direction its loading up if i let it idle for 10 seconds and running 220-240 degess!! thats crazy touchy IMO! the only option its giving me is wheelies and 270 degrees. or running a touch rich and 240 degrees. guess ill take the 240 lol. but i was thinking maybe i should try to richen up the top end needle a touch while i tweak the low end leaner. maybe that would compensate and cool it down a touch?? either way its not that big of deal. i am running a HOT os glow plug. thats what team associated recommended to me becuase of how touchy the carbs are.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:25 AM
RCaddict80

and just encase anyones wondering....YES MY MGT WAS SMOKING THE DOORS OFF MY FRIENDS T MAXX 3.3!! LOL. there wasnt even any comparison at all. when we was drag racing in the dirt...it was a total joke!! id pull a wheelie off the start and blow right by him like he hit the brakes!! and when i wasnt pulling wheelies i would get the jum and hed never catch up. but thats expected when you have a MGT
Old 01-18-2022, 12:53 PM
olivierplayer1

original motor is better then lrp 32 engine for sur ,i tried them both !