Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

The Pepsi Challenge for Covering Balsa with LS

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

The Pepsi Challenge for Covering Balsa with LS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
tfarmer96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Pepsi Challenge for Covering Balsa with LS

This is what started it all.

http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=130

If i could find a product that i could just roller on a thin coat no glass and resin tap dance then prime and paint man that would make my day. I am hopeful one of these products is it.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: tfarmer96

This is what started it all.

http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=130

If i could find a product that i could just roller on a thin coat no glass and resin tap dance then prime and paint man that would make my day. I am hopeful one of these products is it.
Spoke to Dave Boddie and they sell a color agent to add to the mix so you do not need to paint.My interpretation of this is like that of a colored gel coat on a boat. The paint and coating are all the same.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
tfarmer96

That opens a whole different can of worms.......Wonder if they have warbird colors
Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM
CRX Turbines

That opens a whole different can of worms.......Wonder if they have warbird colors
Yeah I know ... but it is what it is.... hind site is always 20/20 right?You did something really constructive herewhich is great.

The coloring from my discussion is added to a white base. I would call and ask what needs to be added to achieve desired colors.For me Iam painting a turbine jet and extremely concerned about weight. For others lets face it who wouldn't try this if they could eliminate all the headaches and costs of the top coats. Has to be themost innovativething since monokote only in a liquid form....
Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
box car

ORIGINAL: croatiablu

Yeah I know ... but it is what it is.... hind site is always 20/20 right?You did something really constructive herewhich is great.

The coloring from my discussion is added to a white base. I would call and ask what needs to be added to achieve desired colors.For me Iam painting a turbine jet and extremely concerned about weight. For others lets face it who wouldn't try this if they could eliminate all the headaches and costs of the top coats. Has to be themost innovativething since monokote only in a liquid form....
Do they have a color chart on the web?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:33 PM
CRX Turbines

ORIGINAL: box car

Do they have a color chart on the web?
I do not know. I called to ask about the coloring I need and it sounds like I can do this very easily. From my discussion, you would have to buy colors (reasonable) and create the shade you want.The reason they do not add the colors is that it begins the cure process and would cause an issue by the time you get the stuff.This is verymuch like mixing your own housepaint.Pretty much start adding color to get the desired shade. I am sure this can easily become another thread as I am sure people will be interested in hearing about the coloring potential.

So the stuff has two potential uses, one to fill and cover and seal while coloring the plane as well.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:34 PM
tfarmer96

you guys think Dave is thinking WTH all the sudden the r/c guys have found me...? He is a nice guy.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:38 PM
CRX Turbines

you guys think Dave is thinking WTH all the sudden the r/c guys have found me...? He is a nice guy.
I spoke to him for a while.Very helpful... I think he probably struck gold with this one by chiming into this thread when he did... Amazing how your effort has paid off.... !

As for the RCcommunity this stuff looks to me to be liquid monokote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

As for the RC community this stuff looks to me to be liquid monokote
Looks like liquid Money to me
Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2walla

Can I suggest that you make a couple of stress risers in your test pieces- put in a couple of glue joints both parrellel and perpindicular to the grain so that you can do some flexure testing to see if it cracks over the joints. I used to paint my quickie 500 racers and tried several things to seal them up- the best thing ended up being mod podge thinned out a little bit with water. It held up great- you should try a couple test pieces with it..
This is a good idea. I was wondering what this stuff did if you bent the sheeting until it broke. Let glue some sheeting together. The photo in this post is of the 1/8 sheeting that has had the product on it for 20 hours
check this out. The wood didnt even crack.

We will see what it does in a few days.

wow i'm really impressed !! that stuff is amazing
Old 11-15-2010, 06:25 PM
tfarmer96

hey guys look what was in the mail today. Its 57 degrees here so i wont do anything with it till Tuesday night. Want it to be room temp,
Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 PM
raptureboy

Nuke it ! this is too important a discovery to wait!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM
tfarmer96

Ya i think we should wait to be fair. Any way GarryM said i should hit and shoot it with my temp gun and see what this stuff can take. If i makes it over 120 i know im good in texas with it. By the way i like the microwave idea....thats funny i dont care who ya are.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Soak cans in warm tap water for an hour or so, by the time the water is cool, the LS will be room temp,, I do this with paints/glues all the time
Old 11-15-2010, 07:57 PM
tfarmer96

Here is the heat test. We stopped at 212 degrees. I didn't peal or bubble. sorry but i used my iphone for that photo
Old 11-15-2010, 08:26 PM
raptureboy

Getting better all the time I think I just heard the microwave ring thanks for taking all this time to test this out. I better get cracking on my TF p-47.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:51 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

How would you use this stuff when you have open bays?  I have the same question about glassing a model.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheet the open bays with same thickness balsa as the rib caps. Underlay the caps to provide a shelf for the bay covers to sit on and glue to.

On another thought; It would be intersting to see how this stuff acted over a iron on film covered wing....probably never have to worry about wrinkles or a stray twig puncture
Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Buckmeister

Great test. I really appreciate your efforts and what appears to be a very "Fair" demonstration and comparison.
While You can't rush time I will be interested in what happens while being flown in our real world.
Can't wait to see the next product being demonstrated.
Keep up the good work and helpful information. It really is appreciated!
I am subscribed!

Buckmeister.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:44 PM
tfarmer96

After the heat test i turned to the weight per squarfoot question. I mixed up some styro spray 1000 and did my mockup wing. Wet one coat looks like it added about 10 grams. I think one thin coat is all you need if your going to paint it.

http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/video/l...raypersqft.wmv
Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 PM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Farmer, Thanks for your efforts on this stuff. You're saving me some dough and a whole bunch of time. BTW, Loved the "fool me once" stuff. One of my favorite Bushisms
Old 11-15-2010, 11:02 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Thanks, Idon't know how I missed that.
ED
Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Nice to see you keeping at it. It will be interesting to see the final results.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:10 AM
box car

Here are some picture with it over 3/4oz glass and polyester. This is the Wowplanes product. I will be using this on the plane I am building now. I am going to do another test on balsa with 2 coats of sanding sealer and one with 2 coats of sanding sealer and 1 coat over polyester. I like using polyester because it cost a lot less than glass and is lite and strong.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 AM
rcyogi

Well, I did it. I cover a TF P40 last night with the LS2, and is fantastic!!!! I feels strong as fiberglass,a nd it was doen is about 5 minutes. i willbe saying good bye to glass for sure. Will give antoher day before I wet sand it. i did mix it with deture alcohol, and
still feels strong.

Cheers,

Pisandro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.