Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Mono show through problems

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Mono show through problems

Old 10-09-2015, 04:03 PM
jayd3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mono show through problems

Hello
I have seen and had ugly show troughs with supposedly opaque Monokote I.E. where balsa was filled, or had dark grain etc.
So my question is what can you put on to provide a uniform base that the Monokote will stick to ?
Far to late I learned that dope is translucent as well and one should always put a base white or silver base coat under the colored topcoat so can one say spray the wood with silver aluminium paint ? it very high hiding and generally heat resistant but I fear monokote will not stick to it ?

Jay
Old 10-09-2015, 08:16 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have successfully used Top Flite Lustre Kote "white Primer # TOPR 7527" for that exact purpose. Last winter I had occasion to rebuild the wing on my small J-3 Cub float plane (must be hard water around here ), and I had some dark mismatched material areas that were going to show through the Cub yellow covering. I misted several coats of the Top Flite white primer on the problem areas (not the whole wing) and after covering they were 100% invisible even through yellow covering. I had no problem with the covering, Ultra Cote in this case, sticking in the painted areas.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:16 AM
jayd3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Larry
I am using the lighter and most likely even more translucent yellow and white primer seems an excellent material for this as it's high hiding as painters say due to having lots of solids in it
I wonder which is heavier white or the silver al paint I was thinking of ?