Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Paint primer >

Paint primer

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Paint primer

Old 09-25-2002, 10:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint primer

What brand or type of inexpensive primers are being used that can be sanded?
Old 09-26-2002, 12:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Paint primer

I have used the Krylon sandedable primer in a rattle can, but I have had lot better luck with auto primer in the gallon can for less then $30.00. It dries faster, sands better, is just btter in all aspects. The only problem I have had is you need good spray guns to do a good job.

Dru.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:23 AM

Default Paint primer

Dru: Did you find that it took a few days to dry before the Krylon Sanding Primer would sand. I have some, but it does not seem to powder. I have been told it takes four days to dry. I have not given it that much time on my sample.

Ed
Old 09-26-2002, 09:58 AM

Default Paint primer

The best rattle can primer is certainly Duplicolor, kind of expensive but the easiest to use, dries fast and can be sanded right away. I have been using Evercoat acrylic primer less than $25.00 a gallon and works fantastic but you need a spray gun. Harbor Freight tools has a HVLP spray gun for $12.00 that uses a shop vac for air surprisingly the thing works great, I have about 6 spray guns and I grab that one when I shoot primer or PVA.
Here's the link
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47482
Old 09-26-2002, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint primer

The best primer for a hard surface..........haven't used it on fabric.........is "Dupont" "waterborne" #210 S You can brush it or spray it. Even with an air brush. Auto paint stores are the only place to find it & I think it only comes in grey. Very easy to sand and lots of pigment.
Riley
Old 09-26-2002, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint primer

The post did say "inexpensive" primer. If we are talking auto primer, then nothing period compares to PPG K36 for sandability and fill.

Vince