Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Syringe/Needle for glue???

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Syringe/Needle for glue???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:26 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Syringe/Needle for glue???

Anyone know how to aquire a large gauge hypodermic type needle? I want to fire a little gorilla glue under the sheeting near the hard-point on a foam covered aileron to stiffen it up a little... seems like there is a little play in the ply plate and I don't want to flirt with disaster. Seems like a needle would be just the ticket... problem is that they aren't so easy to come by.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 05-12-2006, 11:39 AM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Syringe/Needle for glue???

You might try one of the plasic syringes that most drug stores/pharmacies sell to rinse between your teeth or to flush out food particles after a tooth is pulled. You may have to trim the snout a little, but that should do the job.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:15 PM
KenC
My Feedback: (13)

West Epoxy makes syringes specifically for dispensing epoxy/glues. They are usually available at marine/boating supply stores such as West Marine. They look like a regular plastic syringe except they have an extended and tapered tip molded in.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:40 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a syringe and a large needle from a pharmacy. There might be different laws and policies about such items in different countries. Getting the glue through the needle was pretty tough.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:23 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: KenC

West Epoxy makes syringes specifically for dispensing epoxy/glues. They are usually available at marine/boating supply stores such as West Marine. They look like a regular plastic syringe except they have an extended and tapered tip molded in.
Good stuff. Use 'em alla time. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0
Old 05-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Lightfoot

I got mine from a veternarian.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:51 PM
sillyness

Hmmm... glue's too thick, huh? That might be an issue for sure.

The Vet is a GREAT idea... I'm sure he cough one up!

Also, the syringe in that link looks great... I can poke the hole with something else then pump in the goop.

Thanks all!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine at a pharmacy and used it with white glue, and it worked well. I just told them what I needed it for and asked for the largest one they had. If you need the guage of the needle, you may want to PM me as I sometimes have a habit of forgetting which threads I've responded too....
Old 05-12-2006, 06:09 PM
BillS

I want to fire a little gorilla glue under the sheeting near the hard-point on a foam covered aileron to stiffen it up a little...
Gorilla glue has a very high expansion rate and the sheeting is likely to become pregnant in that area.

Bill
Old 05-12-2006, 06:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You can buy them at Tower Hobbies. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGG7&P=7]1 syringe for $1.79[/link] or [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGG8&P=7]25 syringes for $42.99[/link] . You can also find one HUGE syringe at Wal-mart. Look in the kitchen section. It should be in the isle with all the kitchen gadgets (spatulas, spoons, and such). They make it for injecting fluids in meat as they cook. It's a little large though for me. I prefer the ones from Tower.

Ken
Old 05-12-2006, 08:30 PM
sillyness

Gorilla glue has a very high expansion rate and the sheeting is likely to become pregnant in that area.

Bill
I plan on leaving an expansion hole. I don't need too put to much in there to start with though.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Jigley3

Hi all

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...110,42967&ap=1

A good tip when using syringes for white, or any carpenters glue, is to store it up right in a container with a bit of water in the bottom. A small pill bottle or similar works well. If you suck the glue back a ways into the tip so the glue is above the water you can keep glue in the syringe for months.

Bert
Old 05-12-2006, 10:10 PM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Oklahoma you can buy any size syringe from small to large (for large animals) from any of the local Farm and Ranch stores.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Ritter

I found a great site, [link=http://www.smallparts.com]Small Parts[/link], which has all sorts of parts including squeeze bottles, syringes, needles, taper tips, and even flexible teflon needles in guages of 14, 20, and 24. Blurb from the site follows.

Anyone have recommendations as to the approriate needle size for white glue, alphatic glue, and the varioius CA glue types?

Thanks,
Ritter
DCRC and CASA

Teflon Disposable Needles
Fluid Dispensing, H.D Polyethelene Luer Hub
For dispensation of material into hard to get areas, flexible Teflon Needles are most convenient. They also allow dispensing of cyanoacrylates and other bonding materials without premature clogging. Teflon needles will not scratch or mar highly sensitive surfaces. The plastic Luer lock hub enables full compatibility with Luer Lock Syringes and squeeze bottles. Body is molded plastic. Needle length is 2".

Check out Small Parts, Inc.stock of other supplies of Stainless Steel Hypodermic Needles and Polypropylene Needle Hubs.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:52 AM
RCPAUL

A woodworking store (Rockler, Woodcraft, etc.) sell small glue bottles with metal needles.

Paul
Old 06-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Jim Thomerson

Check a pet shop for syringes for dosing dogs with liquid medicine, etc. Anyone remember the old Austin Craft glue gun? Back in the late 40's-early 50's I used to order quart cans of glue and dope from AHC.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:41 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds crazy but my local True Value hardware store carries a few different sizes of Syringes with a few different sized large needles in with the adhesive section.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:38 PM
sillyness

I found some at the Tractor Supply Company... that are for giving horses meds.

Cheers
Old 06-05-2006, 08:28 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ritter

Anyone have recommendations as to the approriate needle size for white glue, alphatic glue, and the varioius CA glue types?
Thin Ca will flow through as small as a 30 ga. needle, but the needle is only good for one or two uses before clogging, the small needle allows good control of how much you're using.

once you get to thick Ca or white glue, a 22 is about as small as you can go and still get any glue out. Epoxy takes a 16 or 14 ga, which is about as big as a #2 pencil lead. The larger the syringe volume, the more injection pressure you can create, even if you only have a tiny amount to put in the syringe.

If you can get I.V. needles, they have both the metal needle as well as a teflon sheath that fits over the needle, sort of two-for-one. Spinal needles are great for long reaches, from 3 to 4 inches long, and epidural needles (called Touhey needles) have a tip that has the opening on the side at the very tip, but still has a sharp point.

Working in a hospital sure has its advantages.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Ritter

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

I've order some stuff from the Small Parts company (see link in earlier email) and will trying things out. I got one 30 guage teflon needle -- we'll see how long it lasts for gluing a small laser cut electeric kit.

Regards,
Ritter
Old 06-23-2006, 07:39 AM
RVM

Will the needles here work well with aliphatic glues? I figure 18 and 22 ga should be large enough, but thought I'd better ask to be sure.

I need to check around and find somewhere locally that has the needles and syringes, though I gotta say the ones at the Lee Valley site I just linked look like they would work perfectly. Plus you get a lot of needles and syringes.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:09 PM
RVM

I just got an order from Lee Valley. I got some of the syringes with needles and some of the little pump type containers with syringes. They are quite nice and seem like they'll work perfectly.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Don't have to order from Lee Valley. Pass by one of the stores on the way to work everyday. That's another place, you could get burn up a credit card real fast. Using one the syringes with a curved tip. It helps to get just a small amount of glue in wing ribs or something similar. It don't over fill the tube. Just fill enough for the job, than rinse out the tube to avoid clogging the tip.
ORIGINAL: RVM

I just got an order from Lee Valley. I got some of the syringes with needles and some of the little pump type containers with syringes. They are quite nice and seem like they'll work perfectly.