Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Attatching landing gear on SIG Wonder? >

Attatching landing gear on SIG Wonder?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Attatching landing gear on SIG Wonder?

Old 07-19-2002, 10:05 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attatching landing gear on SIG Wonder?

I've built a few of these. Even tried a twin (Don't bother..)

As for landing gear, one critical piece is missing.. Rudder! Unless you plan to add a rudder (servo at least), and beef up where you intend to add the tail (or noze) wheel. You'll need to add a hard wood or ply block to mount the main Landging gear. You'll be adding a bit of weight. You might have a bit of a problem fitting the tank afterwards..

As for flying, probably will fly just the same, it'll just be a tad heavier, and a little more drag..

Typically, main wheels forward of the CG for a tail dragger, and main wheels behind teh CG for a trike set up. Make teh mains as wide a possible, and high enough to not get a prop strike. Use a screw on metal (or plastic/carbon fiber) one piece design for the mains.

best of luck!
Old 07-19-2002, 03:08 PM
Banned

I'd go trike. The fuselage is probably too short for a taildragger setup to allow take-offs.

I've stuck landing gear on a Gremlin combat wing... taildragger style... and had to hand launch it because the plane just spun around the on main wheels. Couldn't advance the throttle genly enough to prevent it.

I've seen another flying wing type on trike gear, and that worked well.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:15 PM

I just got a SIg Wonder for X-mas. Is it any easy build? Any suggestions. I will be using an MDS .18 engine. One question is willl I need a Flat 270 MAH battery, or is a cube larger MAH Ok. How does this plane fly. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:03 PM
Banned

The Wonder flys fine using a standard 600 mah square pack (2 cells wide, 2 thick) I haven't tried the 600 mah flat pack forfitting in the fuselage. (it would be tight at best) Standard (Futaba 3003 or equiv) servos fit and will work.

The lower you can keep the weight, the better you'll like the plane. Using HS-81 servos for aileron and elevator, a sub-micro HS-55) for throttle, 270 mah pack (I have used a $9 Radio Shack portable phone battery pack) and a GWS micro 4 Ch RX really brings the weight down. (but watch your radio range with the micro RX...)

The Wonder is very easy to build. But it is definitely not a good plane for a beginner. It can do loops with a radius of its own wingspan when it is light and has the rearmost CG practical.

A trick for the elevator servo... mount the servo arm and a steel clevice tot he servo. use all-thread rod for the pushrod and a plastic clevice at the control horn. mount the servo upside down then thread the pushrod to the clevice on the servo. You get a straighter pushrod run to the elevator control horn. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] eliminates the uneven (more up than down) throw that comes from the way the plans say to place the elevator servo.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:29 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Make sure your switch is in the right place. We have a video on our site, of a wonder bening tossed into the air. What you don't see, is the launcher's fingure turning the plane 'off'

Fiberglass the whole bottom, you'll save yourself a few headaches..

Micro (well, small at least!) servos!
Old 01-02-2003, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UGGGGGGGHHHHH!
Landing gear on a Wonder is like... well, it's awful!
I build mine with the fuselage pod glued to the wing, with an access panel in the belly.
A hardwood strip on the belly for abrasion resistance on the concrete runway.
Full power on launch, and away it goes!
And rudders.. it is to laugh! The moment arm is too short for rudders to do much of anything. At slow speeds they enhance the snapping manuvers, but they're just a waste of weight otherwise.
It will raise your adrenalin level nicely!
Old 01-03-2003, 01:19 PM
Banned

Visit www.spadtothebone.com

Look at thier SPAD Wonder... its on trike landing gear. Looks fine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]