Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

1:10 "Blue Streak" Monster Truck & Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

1:10 "Blue Streak" Monster Truck & Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Sunfirefoot
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1:10 "Blue Streak" MAX Electric Truck & 1:10 Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

<<<<Previously know as BeepBeepAJeep:

Wow i just got caught up on this Aflac Project, and might i say you rocked that paint job, soo clean and perfect. Good Job KE4QPF!!!
Two Thumbs Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8D]
Old 03-28-2009, 06:10 PM
KE4QPF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1:10 "Blue Streak" MAX Electric Truck & 1:10 Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Thanks Beep, errrrr... Sunfirefoot. I went back to the previous posts and corrected your handle like I did for the others. Now people here can read without having to cross-translate the handles. I've got another pic. Hang on... I got my hands on some Tamiya clear and blasted it to bring back a shine from the dulling that occurs when the reflective stuff goes down.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:13 PM
KE4QPF

Here it is with reflective clear before 4 coats of Tamiya clear coating...

Here it is after...

Notice that the rich black appearance of the paint came back. Now it is sealed. There's no way the decals can get F'ed up unless someone hits the car with a can of spray paint.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Sunfirefoot

Dang!!!! That made a world of difference!!!! Love IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 03-28-2009, 07:21 PM
KE4QPF

EDIT: Don't try this one at home kids... it turned out to be a dismal failure!!!

If you loved that, you'll love this too...

Take 4 of these...

GET CREATIVE with chrome spray paint!!!

Then make 4 MEGA exhaust pipes. (still drying)

EDIT: Explanation of placement...

EDIT: There's just no substitute for real aluminum pipes!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 PM
KE4QPF

Oh, thought you might like to see what the reflective paint does...

Here's what this thing looks like when shot with a camera flash in total darkness. Compare it to the 3M reflective coating on the license plate on the bottom of my toolbox. This thing looks like it's been covered with 1,000s of glass beads.

Each white spot you see is actually a prismatic effect caused by the reflective paint that makes a twinkle back in the camera lens. Since the camera doesn't know what to make of it, it appears like a bunch of white dots all over. Just like the license plate. As with the license plate, this paint will reflect everything back plain as day. Distance makes things look a bit better, I was almost on top of the car where I have it situated... take a look at the painting box on the floor that's plastered with this stuff.

Speaking of WHO??? Play this...

After the animation, click the duck to play the new TV ad

Old 03-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Sunfirefoot

Like the exhaust idea, and it'll be safe to drive at night now lol. Great job!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:17 PM
texx

KE4QPF ..
I'm falling down my chair when I overview the work of (transfer) of all your data on this thread ..

Congratulations ..

Your body is really (HOT) .. Professional work ..

Old 03-29-2009, 12:20 AM
KE4QPF

Thanks lou... looks like I'll be heading to the hobby shop tomorrow for another pair of shocks for Aflac. I'm really beginning to become POed with Duratrax. I had 2 shocks go bad right out of the pack with Blue Streak, and now I'm getting a hosing on one of the rear shocks on Aflac. (They're all the same in length, but position-wise, it's the driver's left shock.) It seems they love leaking out down the piston shaft. At first, I was thinking I had something to do with it, but apparently, it seems this is a defect. Nat suggested I disassemble the things and replace all the seals, but it's cheaper to roll the dice and purchase another pair at US$12. By the time I buy oil, seals, whatever else I'm going to need to throw at them, it seems these are throw-away parts. What is everyone else's thoughts on this? It seems they rupture, if they're going to, upon the first compression. I know they're cheaply made, so should I shiv a git? Are these made in some 3rd world country?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:47 AM
KE4QPF

OPEN LETTER TO DURATRAX SUPPORT...

Sent: Sun 3/29/2009 2:52 AM

To: '[email protected]'
Subject: Having nothing but trouble with DTXC8972 shocks

Hello,

I am having several issues with the manufacture of your Duratrax Evader EXB shocks. Specifically, the rear ones [model: DTXC8972]. It seems when I order them from my local hobby shop, Warrick Custom Hobbies Hobby Superstore, there’s always a problem within a week of putting them on any rigs I have. That problem is the oil leaks out without even having run the trucks. It usually occurs within a day of having purchased and installed these shocks. Installation was simple, and had no complications. I took one apart to find out what the issue was only to find out all the oil had leaked out by going down the shaft, meaning, the seal between the cylinder and the shaft is faulty. Now, I do expect there to be a few stray o-rings that don’t perform up to snuff, but I’ve purchased 4 pairs for one truck and now will need to go to a 3rd pair for my second truck. Don’t get me wrong, I love the design and ride height of these shocks. It allows my monster trucks to ride at a monster truck height, but really, something needs to be done to fix this issue. I understand these are manufactured cheaply as they are pre-assembled, but should I really be experiencing this level of problems whereby 50% of the items I receive are faulty? It’s like throwing $6 in the trash every time I have one leak out. This doesn’t speak volumes for your good brand name’s reputation. What further makes matters worse is that many hobby shops will not honor the manufacturer’s warranty, including Warrick, and refer me back to you. It’s already a burden having to write you to explain the issue, a bigger burden not being able to take things to the store purchased from to make an exchange as these are primarily parts that are not stocked, and really burdensome to have to wait a week for a new set to arrive. Is there any possible way you could look into why these shocks fail so much and possibly give me a peace of mind when it comes to purchasing Duratrax products?

With great appreciation,

Donald Hansen
Sunrise, Florida
I left my contact information in the e-mail I sent to Duratrax. I'll see what comes out of this. Usually, things like this get swept under the rug as these types of items are usually more expensive to manufacture and sell than what they get for them. It's basically a way to eat a loss on both ends, I suppose.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:24 PM
cobra69

Great looking rigs [8D]...I have had the same problem with duratrax shocks,I was given a free rebuild kit,that's the only reason Im still running them.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:58 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

don looks great what more can i say ,, you sure got the hang of this painting lark ...
Old 03-29-2009, 11:15 PM
THErcnoobie

lookin good so far. cant wait to see how those exhaust pipes come out bro.paint looks good as well.[8D]
Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 PM
KE4QPF

ORIGINAL: THErcnoobie

lookin good so far. cant wait to see how those exhaust pipes come out bro.paint looks good as well.[8D]
Well, the pipes actually sucked. The chrome paint would not adhere properly no matter how much I tried to sand and prime. My stepfather knows an aluminum welder, so I'm hoping he can help out. After measuring up the existing pipes, I found them to be much to short on the extension out from the frame anyway. It's another case of de ja vu. Sometimes stuff like this happens. It's not a major setback. I'm going to start on the electrical now. I already have the LEDs mounted to the shell, and the battery holders 3M SuperLocked to the ESC cage like on the Blue Streak. Due to the weirdness of the Rubicon's tub on the bottom as opposed the the Blue Streak (the Streak's is wider on the bottom), I'm having to put the ground pounders on the sides of the shell. I don't think this will make much of a difference as these are the same type as the Line of Fire LEDs on the Blue Streak... VERY, VERY INTENSE!!! They should spill light all over hell and creation.

Welcome to our new home on RCUni.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:33 PM
KE4QPF

ORIGINAL: yaleforscale

don looks great what more can i say ,, you sure got the hang of this painting lark ...
Not quite. Those silicone pipes were a PITA to paint and still don't cut the mustard. It's off to a real fabricator now for some pipes that don't suck wind.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:34 PM
KE4QPF

ORIGINAL: cobra69

Great looking rigs [8D]...I have had the same problem with duratrax shocks,I was given a free rebuild kit,that's the only reason Im still running them.
At least I have another confirmation it's not me []
Old 03-30-2009, 12:20 AM
THErcnoobie

how are the L.E.D.s going to be wired up?same rc battery or seperate pack?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:37 AM
KE4QPF

how are the L.E.D.s going to be wired up?same rc battery or seperate pack?

Hope you don't get confused...

You asked for it!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
THErcnoobie

hope it works! hope your newbright doesnt slow down when you pull on the trigger but it should work.took me some time to read and understand the diagram,lol.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 PM
KE4QPF

hope it works! hope your newbright doesnt slow down when you pull on the trigger but it should work.took me some time to read and understand the diagram,lol.
The LEDs have a very minimal draw of ampherage [15mA (max) x 4 = 60mA (max)]. The motor won't even blink as it's already hogging close to 3 amps. I have tested this in reverse on the Blue Streak using the reverse lights. Nothing happened there, so nothing should happen here on Aflac.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 PM
KE4QPF

ORIGINAL: KE4QPF

OPEN LETTER TO DURATRAX SUPPORT...

Sent: Sun 3/29/2009 2:52 AM

To: '[email protected]'
Subject: Having nothing but trouble with DTXC8972 shocks

Hello,

I am having several issues with the manufacture of your Duratrax Evader EXB shocks. Specifically, the rear ones [model: DTXC8972]. It seems when I order them from my local hobby shop, Warrick Custom Hobbies Hobby Superstore, there’s always a problem within a week of putting them on any rigs I have. That problem is the oil leaks out without even having run the trucks. It usually occurs within a day of having purchased and installed these shocks. Installation was simple, and had no complications. I took one apart to find out what the issue was only to find out all the oil had leaked out by going down the shaft, meaning, the seal between the cylinder and the shaft is faulty. Now, I do expect there to be a few stray o-rings that don’t perform up to snuff, but I’ve purchased 4 pairs for one truck and now will need to go to a 3rd pair for my second truck. Don’t get me wrong, I love the design and ride height of these shocks. It allows my monster trucks to ride at a monster truck height, but really, something needs to be done to fix this issue. I understand these are manufactured cheaply as they are pre-assembled, but should I really be experiencing this level of problems whereby 50% of the items I receive are faulty? It’s like throwing $6 in the trash every time I have one leak out. This doesn’t speak volumes for your good brand name’s reputation. What further makes matters worse is that many hobby shops will not honor the manufacturer’s warranty, including Warrick, and refer me back to you. It’s already a burden having to write you to explain the issue, a bigger burden not being able to take things to the store purchased from to make an exchange as these are primarily parts that are not stocked, and really burdensome to have to wait a week for a new set to arrive. Is there any possible way you could look into why these shocks fail so much and possibly give me a peace of mind when it comes to purchasing Duratrax products?

With great appreciation,

Donald Hansen
Sunrise, Florida
I left my contact information in the e-mail I sent to Duratrax. I'll see what comes out of this. Usually, things like this get swept under the rug as these types of items are usually more expensive to manufacture and sell than what they get for them. It's basically a way to eat a loss on both ends, I suppose.

The powers that be at Duratrax have spoken. It looks like I'm going to get something better than planned. There's nothing like a little squeaking to get that gear some grease.

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 2:22 PM
To: "Donald Hansen Jr."
Subject: RE: Having nothing but trouble with DTXC8972 shocks

OK. That's great info. I was wondering what truck you are using.

Let's try something different.

We will send out 4 pairs of the aluminum shocks for you.

>>> "Donald Hansen Jr." 3/30/2009 12:01 PM >>>
I am using them on a 1:10 scale New Bright MAX Electric Monster Truck which is by far lighter than the EXB buggy they were originally made for. I just can't figure out why this is happening without even having the weight of a nitro rig on top of them. I'm using one on each corner. Much more than necessary.
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 12:31 PM
To: "Donald Hansen Jr."
Subject: Re: Having nothing but trouble with DTXC8972 shocks

Thank you for contacting Product Support.
What trucks are you using them on? They are intended for 1/10 scale buggies. They may not be able to handle the extra weight without some changes.
I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further
questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this
email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any
future questions.) You can also reach our product support technical
team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.
DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked
questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the
information helpful and valuable to you.
Sincerely,
Jack
Product Support Tech
PS9007
Hobbico
It pays to contact customer support! If anyone at Duratrax is reading, I thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

P.S.: I NEVER got write backs this quick when posting on Rockcrawler. This is something to think about guys. According to the site manager here, they do have quite a bit of hits from the manufacturers themselves as quoted in the freedom of speech statement.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 PM
KE4QPF

ORIGINAL: KE4QPF

Well, the pipes actually sucked. The chrome paint would not adhere properly no matter how much I tried to sand and prime. My stepfather knows an aluminum welder, so I'm hoping he can help out. After measuring up the existing pipes, I found them to be much to short on the extension out from the frame anyway. It's another case of de ja vu. Sometimes stuff like this happens. It's not a major setback. I'm going to start on the electrical now. I already have the LEDs mounted to the shell, and the battery holders 3M SuperLocked to the ESC cage like on the Blue Streak. Due to the weirdness of the Rubicon's tub on the bottom as opposed the the Blue Streak (the Streak's is wider on the bottom), I'm having to put the ground pounders on the sides of the shell. I don't think this will make much of a difference as these are the same type as the Line of Fire LEDs on the Blue Streak... VERY, VERY INTENSE!!! They should spill light all over hell and creation.

Welcome to our new home on RCUni.
OK guys...

My stepfather is getting the measurements to the fabricator he knows tomorrow to see what that fabricator can do for me. Hopefully, he'll have some good results. If they come out OK, I'll see if he's willing to make a little side business out of this so you guys have a go to for mock-up exhausts for your NB rigs. I'll be more than happy, you know me, to spill my guts on the wiring.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:54 PM
THErcnoobie

thats good to hear. looks like you got the hookup and so do we when you mentioned he would make sidebuisness with us.that would be nice to see a little jeep crawlin on rocks with those big exhaust pipes they have on big rigs,lol. or maybe the same exhaust pipes you are using can be used to stick out underneath the front sides of a jeep to resemble a big engine.it would make up for the fenders that were cut off.hope they work when you get them. if its not shiney enough for you ship them over here and i'll take them to mexico to get them dippped in chrome,lol.i say that because its against the law to have a buisness where you dip anything in chrome in california due to enviormental laws.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
KE4QPF

thats good to hear. looks like you got the hookup and so do we when you mentioned he would make sidebuisness with us.that would be nice to see a little jeep crawlin on rocks with those big exhaust pipes they have on big rigs,lol. or maybe the same exhaust pipes you are using can be used to stick out underneath the front sides of a jeep to resemble a big engine.it would make up for the fenders that were cut off.hope they work when you get them. if its not shiney enough for you ship them over here and i'll take them to mexico to get them dippped in chrome,lol.i say that because its against the law to have a buisness where you dip anything in chrome in california due to enviormental laws.
Yeah, it seems everything in California will give you cancer. Someone farts, yep, there's cancer-laden particles in the cloud. Cough the wrong way, there's cancer. I'm beginning to think, as long as Arnold is running the show out there, the entire state is cancer-ridden. <-oops, that's cancerous as well!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 PM
KE4QPF

It's been quite some time since I unleashed a monster video for all of you, so tonight in honor of our new home, I have TWO new videos...

#1: IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

Well, sort of. I really need to give the batteries a charge. I haven't had an RC out on the road since the accident. I just didn't have the spirit at the time, then I got started on this project, so there too went time.

#2: THE GREEN STREAK

The detailing on the car is green, the lighting is green, the duck's suit is green. It's a green feeling. I'm sure you all have that green feeling... of envy!

Now all I need are the exhaust pipes, the seats I have on the way, and a mounting platform for the seats. Aflac is going to be so happy. He'll be cruising in no time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.