Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

How can I slow the EMAX 25% to 50% ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How can I slow the EMAX 25% to 50% ?

Dunno why a Savage wouldn't still be a good option for him, assuming he'll be using either truck only with your supervision!!

It would be very easy to limit the throttle servo to limit speed like the other guy said, and if you wan't to make it flip-proof, pick up one of the AE MGT tanks that has that cool double-pickup!!

Not that I'd ever suggest anyone NOT buy another truck!!

Dean
Old 02-23-2004, 05:22 PM
R/C Dragon

I still think Robear and my idea is best, by using the mabuchi motors will give less speed and longer run time AND its maintenance free which, as previously stated by Robear, is great for the beginner. Double side tape will not only fall off easier than a motor but it wil make the Tx sticky
Old 02-23-2004, 05:25 PM
ICrashThings

hold on, hold on, hold on...electric trucks go fast? and u want to make them slower!? damn...thats like a tyco right there...[]
Old 02-23-2004, 06:08 PM
nitro 4-tec

i dont know if this would work but on traxxas controllers theres a little notch where the trottle is so when u pull it it sits in that little grove that gives u full throttle. k now this may look kinda funny but take a peice of tape and stick it on there raise and lower it to give how much throttle u want. just a thought
Old 02-24-2004, 09:06 AM
rs_andy

the e-maxx has a two speed?? didn't know that. if so you could just tighten the gear change grub screw until it doesn't change to second gear, that would reduce top speed.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Robear
Banned

Here are some points to consider.

1. Why go out and spend $300 on a FAST R/C truck and then try to make it slow??? Why not just spend $60 on a Tyco like any normal person would do?

2. Double-sided tape will not slow acceleration (only top speed)!! Double-sided tape is foam which can be compressed with a hard squeeze not doing much good. Mabuchi Motors can safely handle 14.4 volts (http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/engli...rs_550pcvc.pdf).

3. Smaller motors means longer run times, not shorter! According to OHM's Law A=V/R (Amps, Volts, Resistance). Mabuchi motors have a higher resistance so less amps flow. Batteries are rated in Milliampere hours (mAH)... so with current (amps) being reduced your run-time will be increased. Put the mabuchi motors in
Old 02-24-2004, 08:08 PM
nitro 4-tec

damn?[>:]
Old 02-24-2004, 10:24 PM
R/C Dragon

Default RE: RE: How can I slow the EMAX 25% to 50% ?

Robear I have to dissagree with your first point. By buying an E-Maxx and then slowing it down he will be able to put the stock motors in once his son becomes good enough at controling it to handle the speed. It will also save money: if he buys an E-Maxx for $300 and 2 mabuchi motors for $20 he will spend less then buying a $60 on a Tyco and then spending $300 later when his son wants an E-Maxx he will spend less money and he will still have the mabuchi motors if he ever wants them for longer run time
But I agree with you on the rest especially the compliment
Old 02-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Robear
Banned

RC Dragon. I did think of that. I know a lot about RC cars, but when it comes to kids I will admit I don't know much I was thinking it would prolly be a few years before a 7 year year old could handle a e-Maxx unleashed. So in 3 years of a kid beating on an e-maxx you will have broken parts and the cost of the mabuchi's might bring it close to the cost of a $60 Tyco. And I was thinking in a couple years from now there will probably be a newer/cooler truck on the market... maybe an E-Maxx 2?

I mean I remember I got my first RC car when I was 11 years old and it was junked shortly after that... so my thinking was it would be cheaper to junk a Tyco than a Traxxas. So I dont disagree with you, but if it was my kid I would prolly opt for something bullet-proof like a MRC Thunderking or something cheap like Radio Shack or Tyco.

Speaking of Traxxas... I did notice that the old race vehicles... TRX-1, Blue Eagle, etc... where pretty much bullet proof, but their entry-level stuff seems to break kind of easily.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:36 AM
R/C Dragon

Good point, but I read on another post of a 5 year old winning races and tuning his own car with no help so maybe a 7 year old will catch on quick, I dont know. I got my first car when i was about 10 and it still works and is in good condition,I am 16, and i never had any major breaks but it was an on-road car so I didnt treat it real bad. But getting an off-road car as your first might encourage you to bash with it and not really care about breaking it. My second car was a an off-road, Tamiya Chevy S-10, and I didnt care about breaking it and really beat that truck up but, to my surprise, it still works fine today with no breaks ever. I have gone full speed into walls, full speed at a jump and into a wall, I even brought it out in the mud minutes after it stopped raining and it was fine and I didnt take any precautions before running it in the mud and the electronics were fine too. But an E-maxx is much heavier so if I treated mine like i do my Chevy it would probably be in pieces. So maybe an E-maxx isnt the best choice as a first car unless the kid knows that he cant bash the truck till it dont work and to take care of it, and by driving it slow for a while he will learn how to handle it and know its limits, I guess it really depends on how serious the kid takes driving
Old 02-25-2004, 02:38 PM
teamstress

First of all, to Robear, the stock motors in an E-Maxx are Mabuchi 550's.

Second, why would Cornbread waste his money on a Tyco POS for his kid because if it broke he couldn't fix it. The Traxxas truck is much tougher and parts are readily available at most local hobby shops. Plus he could resell it if his kid got tired of it.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Robear
Banned

You know I always thought the stock motors in an E-MAXX where 23-Turn Fan Cooled Traxxas Titans.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:07 PM
teamstress

What I said was that smaller motors, 540 sized, aren't rated for 14.4 volts. They are usually rated for 7.2 volts which would make them faster in an E-maxx application, with less life span and more maintenance required. Titan is just Traxxas's name on the motor BTW. There are not many actual motor manufacturers , ie.. Epic, Yokomo, Mabuchi. Other companies use their motors and put their own label on them.

This is getting off the subject that Cornbread started anyways.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:10 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

this thread made me cry and made me feel so bad... First off, any dual rate radio will have an endpoint adjustment allowing you to control how fast the truck goes. 2nd, also if I'm correct you can change the settings on the EVX.

As for the Titans being Mubachi... LMAO!! man Robear is only person here with any intelligence about electronics.. Not only did he provide a website with proof, he STILL was told he was wrong while the proof was there...

As for the motors handling 14.4V, actually they are only handling 7.2, as it is being split in the ESC. Its like charging 2 batteries on a Duratrax Dual Intellipeak on AC power supply, just cuz it says 4amps, its splitting it to 2 amps for both packs.. arg idiots emerge!
Old 02-25-2004, 11:17 PM
caseyddr

ORIGINAL: Robear

A. Changing batteries from 3300 to 1500 will have no effect on speed. That is the capacity of the battery, and will only give you less run time. What does effect speed is voltage. What determines Voltage is the number of batteries (cells). Each cell is 1.2 volts, and the E-Maxx uses 12 so it is a 14.4Volt system. Normal RC trucks use 7.2Volts (6 cells) and that is why the E-Maxx is faster. It would be possible for a smart person to modify the truck to use 1 battery pack (7.2 volts) but would probably be too challenging for you to modify.
Woudl like to correct this statement though... 3300's vs 1500 WILL have a difference in speed, becuase the voltage level in a matched or even sport level pack in a 3300, will be considerably higher than a 1500. It takes a bit of experience to notice the difference, but when I'm on the track, I can pull faster laps with my matched packs over practice.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:29 AM
Robear
Banned

IN REPLY TO TEAMSTRESS

Teamstress (2/25/2004): "What I said was that smaller motors, 540 sized, aren't rated for 14.4 volts."
Teamstress (2/23/2004): "I wouldn't use smaller motors than the stock 550's because they aren't rated for, and wouldn't last as long at the 14.4 volts"

Robear replies: Lying won't cover up your stupidity.

Robear adds: What no rebutal on the fact you were also wrong about what motor comes with E-Maxx? We are all well aware that Traxxas outsources the manufacturing of the Titan motors, but if they are just smacking a Titan label on a Mabuchi 500 I will wear a dress and prance around the streets of compton.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Robear
Banned

IN REPLY TO CASEYDDR (And a brilliant solution to slowing the truck down)

Caseyddr: "First off, any dual rate radio will have an endpoint adjustment allowing you to control how fast the truck goes"

Robear replies: I agree! I did point this out days ago, so no need to cry I said on 2/22/04 "The $0 fix is to adjust the Throttle trim on the transmitter to dial the top speed down to an acceptable level."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caseyddr: "man Robear is only person here with any intelligence about electronics.. Not only did he provide a website with proof, he STILL was told he was wrong while the proof was there... "

Robear replies: Thanks for getting my back, lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caseyddr: "As for the motors handling 14.4V, actually they are only handling 7.2, as it is being split in the ESC."

Robear replies: Actually the voltage is not split in the ESC. The output is 14.4Volts going to each motor, you can give a call to Traxxas to verify that. BUT you did give me a great idea for another solution. Voltage in series ADDS, that is why you can string a bunch of 1.2v cells in a row to get 7.2v. Voltage in parallel STAYS THE SAME, so if you hooked six 1.2v cells together with all the positive ends soldered together, and all the negative ends soldered together you would only have 1.2volts. Also voltage across 2 equal resistances (i.e. motors) will divide in half. Therefore you could you could take the positive ESC wire off one motor, and the negative ESC lead off the other, and then solder a wire between the two motor leads, which would turn an E-Maxx into a 7.2 volt system with double the run time!! Acceleration would would also be more tame, making it great for a 7 year old. Problem Solved!!

Old 02-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Robear
Banned

ORIGINAL: caseyddr

Woudl like to correct this statement though... 3300's vs 1500 WILL have a difference in speed, becuase the voltage level in a matched or even sport level pack in a 3300, will be considerably higher than a 1500. It takes a bit of experience to notice the difference, but when I'm on the track, I can pull faster laps with my matched packs over practice.
Robear Rule #1: In marketing the first thing they teach you is to know your audience. In this case it is a 7 year old kid, who would not notice a .4 MPH gain. So I didn't see the point in explaining it.

Robear Rule #2: KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. Getting into this subject was beyond the scope of a simple forum question, so I decided not to mention it to keep things simple... and then you had to come along an complicate things, didn't you, LOL.

Robear Rule #3: Don't correct me because I am ALWAYS right, lmao.

Extra battery capacity does not translate into more voltage. Back in 1990 there was 2 types of cells for racing. 1400SCR's and 1700SCE's both manufactured by Sanyo. The 1400's were used for off-road because they had more voltage and less capacity, and the 1700's were used for on-road because they had more capacity so they could gear higher and still make it to the end of the race without dumping. Then as the newer cells came out voltage typically was reduced slighty as capacity increased. The main reason race packs (matched) packs are faster is because they cherry pick the best individual cell (i.e. highest voltage) cells for these packs. However if you take a 3000Mah sport pack and put it against a 2400Mah sport pack you would most likely have similar voltage, or possible a slight edge with the 2400Mah pack. I have a 1300Mah pack that is VERY fast but only lasts about 3 and half minutes, lol. Right now there is so many different batteries and manufactures, things aren't so clear-cut. Then on race packs they use battery conditioning to bump up the voltage a little, so what I just wrote is basically a rule of thumb, not necessarily written in stone.

Caseyddr you have a good sense of humor and are also smart... then I noticed you are from michigan just like me. Must be something in the water here that makes us awesome, lmao.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:46 PM
caseyddr

hah!
my apologies about the ESC confusion though Yah with the batteries, I use 2400's in stock racing, but 3300's in modified. Most ppl don't understand why.

Good Idea with the parallel wiring, didn't even think of that
Old 02-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Robear
Banned

I find it very interesting that the moderator 'i8tweety' removed my posts proving that I am correct in this debate, while leaving blatant lies and incorrect information by the other party intact. This is a doing all the members of this site a disservice by slanting the truth towards a person that keeps giving out RC information that is riddled with errors. This other member refered to me by name and then lied about what transpired, so I posted quotes this other member wrote to defend my credibility which were removed, but their posts defaming me were left untouched. If the same rules do not apply to all that is clear-cut censorship.

That is tantamount to someone saying that the sun is square and purple, and another person correcting them saying it is yellow and round, and then having that post removed while leaving the bad information in place. I thought the point of a forum was to share information and to debate issues when opinions differ, without the moderator playing favorites. I would expect to see this type of behavior in a communist run newspaper, but not an RC bulletinboard.

The moderator told me all my post were modified and removed because I 'insulted" the other person. Let me see if I understand this correctly. It is ok to lie, but not ok to call someone on it. Well, if that is the case I will help people out on other forums where sound advice is appreciated, so my time won't be wasted.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:27 PM
R/C Dragon

I had some pretty good ideas and I am not from MI, lol
Old 02-26-2004, 08:59 PM
Robear
Banned

Q: What do you call Robear, R/C Dragon and Caseyddr sitting at a table?

A: The three wise-men!! LMAO
Old 02-26-2004, 11:14 PM
wheels ground
Banned

ok i have a suggestion although be it kinda of expensive. bullet proof the darn truck it can be done i have chunks of brick missing from my house to prove what can be done with a maxxs durability. I still like my origanal suggestion of smaller pinions although the truck would accerate much faster like i said who doesn't like wheelies and as long as the body is on an emaxx i cant see any harm a t well thats a different story. Hey this is just the 2 cents of a nutball with a death wish for himself and his truck.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:34 PM
spdfrek
My Feedback: (12)

over in the rock crawling forums they have mentioned using a lathe motor...dont recall which one.....but it has low rpm's and alot of torque..however.....i think it would prolly do the job...not to spendy either....and the tranny in a emaxx...isnt 1st and second shifted manually in them?or am i thinking wrong?thought for some reason the emaxx came with a 3ch radio....dunno...i have a tmaxx another thing i see on the crawling forums is a gear head on a motor...to reduce rpm's to the spur gear...the bad thing about simply using the travel limits on the throttle is the esc will run a bit hotter normally..maybe no a big deal on a stock motor

Joey
Old 07-26-2004, 08:13 AM
jmangone23 tzs

try goin to higher turn motors like 27 or u could take out 2nd gear and put a larger spur in first

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.