Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

So what's everybody think of the new Traxxas Emaxx.

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

So what's everybody think of the new Traxxas Emaxx.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: So what's everybody think of the new Traxxas Emaxx.

Wow, that price is just, well, umm................................ Insane Traxxas, you messed up big time. And guys, where did you see pics of it? Theres none on the Traxxas site is there?[&:]
Old 10-18-2007, 09:20 PM
jatoracing33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no there arent, but go to the electric off road forum and click the emaxx thread...theres a link on the 1st page
Old 10-18-2007, 09:21 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: Jolly Roger Pirate

ORIGINAL: jatoracing33

i would rather get the old emaxx and upgrade it
I totally agree, and I have the old E-Maxx, actually I bought it about a month ago. I already have my own center skid and rear arm guards I built, and I am lookin into a good set of tires, and a good brushless setup. I might even make my own aluminum chassis if I can convince my dad to buy a vertical mini mill. The "normal" E-Maxx is one of the best electric monster platforms out there, and its a super stable platform for upgrading.

BTW, jatoracing33, do you know of any companies who make steel gears for the E-Maxx tranny? Because I am afraid with my up and coming Fiago 7 or 8XL motor thats going to get thrown in there, that the motor will just eat the tranny alive.

traxxas makes steel tranny gears, and they put them in the new truck
Old 10-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sloppyG
Of course... and because that tranny is only single speed, and its alot different, those tranny gears wont work in the regular one. Any company BESIDES Traxxas? I dont think I want to buy from them anymore...

Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 PM
NitroBurn1

The price on towers site will be lower when it comes out, thats what always happens. And whats with all the [sm=crying.gif] about this truck? I think it looks like a good electric MT, and Im sure that Traxxas will sell a lot of them.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:15 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Jolly Roger Pirate

ORIGINAL: sloppyG
Of course... and because that tranny is only single speed, and its alot different, those tranny gears wont work in the regular one. Any company BESIDES Traxxas? I dont think I want to buy from them anymore...

All you need is steel idlers and your tranny will handle a brushless set up... here is a set

http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/...ml?id=hxN7TLcv

and another

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...03idler&cat=47

I would also suggest upgrading to aluminum diff cups if you haven't already
Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 PM
DaveG55

This is soooo funney and oh soooooo predictable.
Just like when the brushless came out....
First all the suspense
Then everybody trashed the concept - Traxxas came late to the party, crappy system, too expensive, etc, etc, etc...

Then a few bought it

And now if you say anything bad about it people get all pissy with you.

Mark my words, three months from now everybody will be in love with this thing and get angry if somebody talks bad about it.

Just wait, you will see.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 PM
rcnitrohead

Ok so I just checked out the pic and the overview. I actually have to say that Traxxas did come up with some good features, but many things were overlooked...

Pros:

Weatherproof electronics-Lets people drive anywhere they want, and especially with the sealed servo's that means ANYWHERE.
Extended LCG Chassis- I think it looks good IMO, it makes it look less of a monster, but it will be more stable.
New 16V ESC-Bring on the juice!
Revo Spec Components_ Always a plus..
Steel Tranny- Traxxas should have started using this in all of their MT's years ago
New Connecters and Easy Lock Battery System- Extra convenience

Cons:

WTH is with the TUB chassis? Are they trying to make it an amphibian??
Dual servos-BAD IDEA, extra parts to break and most people use 1 powerful one anyway.
Same old Titan motors-No extra UMPH, other than the extra voltage.
Two speed as OPTIONAL part-BOGUS, they are just driving up the cost of the truck...
Same OLD Chevron tires with zero grip, my T-maxx ones have always sucked and the treads are dissapearing. I should use them as drift tires..

Thats pretty much what I have to say about the truck[8D] Tom.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 PM
snellemin

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Two speed as OPTIONAL part-BOGUS, they are just driving up the cost of the truck...
Same OLD Chevron tires with zero grip, my T-maxx ones have always sucked and the treads are dissapearing. I should use them as drift tires..

I like the 2 speed option. Gives the opportunity to use high Kv brushless motors and keeping temps low. It will use less amps with the low gear at startup versus high amps at startup with the high gearing. This way you can use "cheaper" electronics.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: scheibler

^^^^um motors can get wet...many people break them in, in water
I made an ROV up as a science fair project, and water leaked into the motors and they were fine, just after a run in water, some WD40 should do it some good, personally I think it was a little HPYED but the new additions are nice, so, I think it is more of a personal choice more than anything
Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 AM
fox23

the waterproof stuff is cool, but who drives around in water? really?? the only thing i could see it being good for is snow.. either way, they screwed around with an already good truck, basically wasted time when they could have been coming out with something that will grab more peoples attention like a truggy, just my $0.02
Old 10-19-2007, 01:23 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: fox23

the waterproof stuff is cool, but who drives around in water? really?? the only thing i could see it being good for is snow.. either way, they screwed around with an already good truck, basically wasted time when they could have been coming out with something that will grab more peoples attention like a truggy, just my $0.02
or make better arms and bulkheads for the thingie, for that much, get a savage 4.6 and all the junk to get it going, yes, I know that this is the traxxas forum but you get my point, note, it JUST CAME OUT, so it will be BIG MONEY at first, IMHO, neat truck, just, don't release it for that much[&:]
Old 10-19-2007, 06:04 AM
jra918

sirs, may i know what is the ultimate brushless motor that can be installed on this truck (insane top end and massive torque)?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:22 AM
rhylsadar

hi

everybody knows that tower has silly prices listed until the model is in stock. stormer has a more adequate pricing and its listed there for 399$.
i would not put much weight on the water resistant thing. that could be done before. but it will be easier with brushed motors than with bl. however the receiver is nicely packed and so on.
the new e maxx is a pretty good mix of improvements and old parts. so still much of the aftermarkt pieces are usable on the new maxx. that is an intelligent strategy for a firm and for the consumers its also not a bad thing.
most of the weak spots of the old maxx are eliminated (steering, transmission, diffs etc). and it may look "unbalanced" from above but i am sure it won't be. the engnieers are not stupid there. they do things for a reason.
i think its a new great platform to start with and offers much upside potential with an already exisiting aftermarket. that will probably be a good selling car which is fully reasonable.

bye
rhylsadar

ps:
@jra918 for hardcore brushless setting i recommend a plettenberg big maxximum and the big schulze controller 40.160wk with around 6s lipo or a neu motor with a similiar or even higher voltage. but the tranny will most probably not hold up with this. so you are better off with a medium light weight setup. extreme setups are fun but pricy and with time you will recognize that "speed" is not that important especially for mts.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:03 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Personally I think it is cool. the price is obsurd, but it will likely come down considerably.

For those of you saying that they only updated an old platform with waterproofed electronics, I suggest you check out the traxxas overview. there is a whole lot more too it than just an electronics update...some good, some not so good. New chassis, brushless ready setup, new tranny, revo diffs, shafts (I'd say the new shafts are the bad part) etc....

Water is not a problem for electric motors. I wouldn't let them sit wet, as corrosion is always an issue, but electrically speaking, getting them wet won't hurt them.

Personally, I love running in water, so much so that I have a snorkel setup that I put on my t-maxx on occasion so I can run it across the stream at my local park. I run my t-maxx completely submerged and think that bashing around the stream, and jumping off the bank into 1 foot of water is about the coolest thing I've ever seen a t-maxx do. I think it is cool that traxxas made an out of the box waterproof truck, as waterproffing one yourself can take a bit of tinkering, and I am not sure how one would properly waterproof a standard esc without having a negative impact on its ability to cool itself, so the factory waterproofed esc is nice.

Even though I think it is cool, and love running in water, I would never consider one at those prices. If it came with the traxxas brushless preinstalled I may think about it, but it doesn't so it's a bit much for me.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Its nice to see everyone soaking up the features of the new truck, but it's clear that there are some features and concepts that are being overlooked.

The first thing to look at is price-point. I can assure you that the price shown on Tower is not the price for the 3905 vehicle. That price would more likely reflect the V-Twin Concept truck if it were to be produced. We are shooting for a price to hover around that of the previous E-Maxx. You get more built in features for a similar price. Potentially, it is possible that you may see TWO versions of the E-Maxx. This is the first time we have brought a concept vehicle to the pucblic for feedback.

Why the offset transmission? So that you can install any brushless system (long motor can types) and keep perfect weight distribution. Look at the big picture here for the possibilities.

This vehicle is truly waterproof. ESC, receiver box, and servos are all waterproof. We have driven it (as is) while completely submersed underwater. (Picture the antenna sticking up out of the water while humming the JAWS theme) DC motors and batteries can be run wet without damage. DC power is not to be confused with AC power, which is totally different and NOT compatible with water. These vehicles use DC (direct current) power.

Dual servos? Yes, now you have more power to play with. Most hobbyists do not actually convert to a single servo system. If you do, however, the system is fully compatible and features a built in cam style servo saver.

Chevron Tires. No, they are not the same tires as the the previous E-Maxx, they're much softer and have serious grip. There's no lack of traction even with serious brushless power.

The Chassis is shaped like it is to not only create a 30mm longer, more rigid design; but also allow lower CG and allow the use of 7 cell flat packs without modification. Have you seen the new battery hold downs?

The Differentials are Revo style (backwards compatible of course) and have serious new internal bracing and steel reinforced diff cups. They are by far the strongest diffs we've built.

The transmission is less than half the size as the previous version, yet almost 2.5 times as strong. It will handle whatever power you throw at it.

Traxxas is at the Chicago Hobby show in Illinois this weekend at the Rosemont, stop by and see these vehicles in person if you're in the area.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 AM
ttoks

all it needs is the VRX brushless setup as standard and it will be a very good RTR setup, or an option to opt for brushless or brushed, if i take with brushless i would seriously consider buying one.

really though it would be nice to see traxxas bring out a nice buggy and truggy with revo style suspension, or at least a new platform of some kind, maybe update the monster buggy to be competitive with the hpi baja, there is a big market for large scale cars atm.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 AM
DaveG55

Traxxas Tech
I saw you watching and wondered if you would comment.
Personall, as I've said somewhere, I like the changes - most of them anyway. I bet we start to see that rx box and steering servos show up on other trucks. And by that I mean people retro fitting them into non Traxxas trucks.

Now to the other big question that everyone is wondering.
What about a 1/18 scale, a true Traxxas E-Revo and a truggy????

Those are what your customers seem to be asking for - if the forums are any indication.
Anything in the works???
Will we actually see those things from Traxxas?

And please don't give a vieled half answer. Most people would appriciate a straight answer to that question w/o all the marketing bs. I know I would respect that far more than "oh, we'll have to wait and see" or "we're looking into it" answer.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:30 AM
jessemxt

On Horizon hobbies they have a price of 369 for the new emaxx. And I think it looks sick I have been wanting to get a electric for a while now.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Dave,

Everyone in the know at Traxxas would love to talk about what is coming out in the near future, but our jobs rely on our mouths staying shut on the subject. The fact of the matter is that those that you might reach on the phones or message boards actually know very little about future products, and are actually briefed on them only a day or two before they're released. We are kept on a short leash so that we don't have to lie to anyone. The engineering department is out of bounds for the majority of the company, they are extremely secretive.

This is the newest product I am aware of. The engineering department is always working on interesting new products (sometimes seriously hardcore) that we'd all love to know about but do not tell us about.

On that note, keep in mind that our R&D process is so thorough that it sometimes takes years for a truly "new" product to be developed and released. Revo is a good example of this. Traxxas is not a company that makes a habbit of grabbing stuff from the parts bin and throwing it on the market in the form of a "new" vehicle. The Traxxas method from start to finish takes considerable time.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:15 PM
calvino

Hey Traxxas Tech are you a worker at traxxas I guess, that is prety nifty, I know that LOTS of people don't really care about the new Maxx, personally, I think it is prety sweet, I heard a rumour that the towers and arms on the thing are metal renforced????? probabaly not true but just currious, also, do you have to purchase a seperate servo for the shifting of the transmission or is that a totally different add on kit????, what is the maximum # of cells the holders/ESC can take, and lastly, about how fast is it???? thanks alot, calvin
Old 10-19-2007, 01:08 PM
zjwhitrock

traxxas tech will you be selling the new e maxx at the i hobby expo if so how many will you have and how much are they?
i was looking to buy a t maxx but i will wait till i get to see this for myself[8D]
Old 10-19-2007, 03:58 PM
robwiljas

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Wow, that price is just, well, umm................................ Insane Traxxas, you messed up big time. And guys, where did you see pics of it? Theres none on the Traxxas site is there?[&:]
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...05_gallery.htm
Old 10-19-2007, 04:05 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Is the chassis plastic? I just noticed that it looks like the whole thing is plastic from the pics.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:08 PM
robwiljas

ORIGINAL: tommythecat

Is the chassis plastic? I just noticed that it looks like the whole thing is plastic from the pics.
Taken from the specs page:

Chassis Structure/Material Molded Composite Nylon Tub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.