Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Pull Starts SUCK!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 AM
TRIPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull Starts SUCK!!!!!

So I got my Red Dot on and semi broke in. Well at first I had my easy start on it and it started just fine and all. Well after runnung I noticed that where the red and black wires clip on to on the EZ start, they both had broken off...Wierd.. So I put on the pull start..Well I could not get it started once.. Dont know what the hell was going on but it would not start.. Cranked on thing a 100 times and nothing... Except for .... A huge blister in between my fingers..lol
Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 AM
TRIPC

Default RE: Pull Starts SUCK!!!!!

Oh and 1 more thing. When I took off the EZ start there was a little bit of white goo on the outside??? What is that?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:31 AM
ajb1205

I hear your pains, man. I broke in a new 3.3 with the pullstart and it was a little painful. The thing with the ps if you don't have the tune right (of course for breakin you're running super rich with a ton of pinch) it can be bad. Once you get it broke in and tuned the pull will work great. Just get that Picco fully broken in first. You might want to heat up the motor with a hairdryer...that should help some until you get it broke in and make it a bit easier to start. The white goo is just grease...nothing to worry about.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 AM
T-MAXXRich
My Feedback: (1)

Well not to be mean but i got my 3.3 replaced and it came back with a pull start on it. Well i was to lazy to take it off an put on the ez start, and to tell you the truth i like the pull starter better then i do the ez start. When i first started to break it in i held my finger over the exhaust and pulled the starter a couple times then i put my glow plug ignitor in and bam started right up. Dont mean to insult anyone but this is just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer pullstarts, they're lighter and you don't have to carry things around with you. The Traxxas EZ start system is convenient but adds an unnecessary weight to the car.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:30 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree; the key to getting it to start more easiliy is to get is broken in more. Just keep at it man, dont give up easily!!! Like one of the others also mentioned; use a hairdryer or heat gun to thoroughly heat up that crankcase to at least 200* or above, which will make it easier to crank it over....I know about the blister thing too...been there done that!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 AM
The Hedgehog

Pull-starts fail. The spring breaks or the string breaks. Other methods of starting last longer in between failures and dont leave blisters on your hands. When I was racing my truggy, the best purchase I ever maid was for a starter box. You tune has to be perfect or slightly lean to let pull start engines fire up consistantly.

My revo has a roto start now since I havent bought a starter box for the revo yet.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:23 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

My revo has a roto start now since I havent bought a starter box for the revo yet.
Also, while it may not be the perfect starting tool, and/or it might break from time to time; there is also the ole ez-start system which should work as well...
Old 09-25-2008, 12:37 PM
JLRevo

Once the engine is broke in you'll never have a problem starting it as long as the tune is correct. Dont let make you give up on the pull start. I love mine on my picco .26 but didnt use it till after a gallon because if you read around alot of people have stated how hard the picco's pinch is and that what happen to you could happen. So break your motor in and get aonther pull start or go shaft. Just look at occ and you'll see countless rc's with pullstarts.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:20 PM
TRIPC

I like the idea of a pull start. Minus always having to charge a glow ign. I think I will just take off the EZ start from one of my other models... Break it in a little and then try the pull start again.. I do like the weight savings tho..
Old 09-25-2008, 02:45 PM
1FastGT

The EZ Start makes starting the thing pretty easy, but everything I own(other than my old t-maxx) has a pull-start. I have an RC10GT with an OS 18 with 2-3+ gallons and I'm still using the original pull-start....starts right up everytime.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:57 PM
JLRevo

Not carrying around that ez-start, was what did it for me.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:03 PM
newgst

Personally i love pullstart! the key is making sure your glow igniter is fully charged when breaking in your motor. some exhaust setups with larger stingers like THS don't create enough exhaust pressure if you just pull it so holding the stinger closed while pulling it a couple of times is the key before you try to start it. Seriously i converted all my ez starts to pull. The absolute LEAST amount of stuff you have to carry on you. Besides the pullstart doesn't require charging all the time. If you tune your motor right you can get it on the first or second pull after you prime.

I have had one of pullstarts break(i really abused it though) but i have had the wiring, motor connectors or pins broken many times on the ez start.

BTW i have a picco max JLRD with pullstart and when i was breaking it in, i could still pull it within a few pulls after priming
Old 09-25-2008, 08:44 PM
BurninValves

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Pull-starts fail. The spring breaks or the string breaks. Other methods of starting last longer in between failures and dont leave blisters on your hands. When I was racing my truggy, the best purchase I ever maid was for a starter box. You tune has to be perfect or slightly lean to let pull start engines fire up consistantly.

Thats BS, Pull starts are more reliable, easier on the OWB and you in no way have to have a "perfect" or "lean" tune to start. I have pull starts on on a trx 2.5 Sirio .23 M26ss and an LRP spec3.... also a XTM 427pro and have never had a single problem. But with roto starts torn up OWB. Also if you know what your doing, it makes starting your rig 10x easier. Not just spining your motor until it fires.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People freak out about pullstarts because they can't tune the engine correctly. As others have mentioned, a properly set up engine will easily turn over and start with a recoil starter.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 PM
TRIPC

no waaswa am iI a pro. tuned 3-4 engines cause ihave 4 cars, .. good new is w,, went home today and pulled my 4 tank plug and guess what., dead as a doornail. slapped a new one in and 1st pull BINGO . Fired right up... The pinch is crazy tho... I likey!!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:10 PM
BurninValves

Yeah, the pinch in some of the Piccos are unreal. you think that engine makes power now..... Wait until you get to your 4th gallon.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 PM
StemTMAXX

I have never had any problems with my pullstart on my 3.3 and its been on there for 3 months or so. and as for blisters I have YET to get one, the skin on you guys' hands must be paper thin. F U Easy Start. enough said.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:06 PM
dapro

2 Picco 27 motors, both have been rebuilt one time already, and one of them is heading for another P & S...both are original OWB's, over 2 years old...PULL START ONLY.

I haven't found replacement pull starters for the piccos for extremely cheap like the chop shop ones for stock motors on egay.

I carry an extra just in case, but the secret to pull starter life is proper tuning, short quick strokes, and making sure the cord isn't rubbing against anything while pulling.