Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I installed a pair of OS 15 GGT gas engines in my Cessna. I am using a McDaniels twin cylinder glow driver. Running 13x8 Master Airscrew 3 blade props. I am replacing my OS 50 glow engines with 2 blade props. Much more power!!! Had to change the fuel tanks. Similar mounting as the 50's, had to cut nacelle's only slightly larger for the cylinder heads. Looks great.....
Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 PM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please post pics!
Old 11-06-2016, 12:36 AM
w1nd6urfa

I made some vinyl stick-on graphics to finish the paint scheme

Old 11-06-2016, 12:38 AM
w1nd6urfa

Reg no

Old 11-09-2016, 03:27 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Beautiful plane.. very nicely done..

And I have to comment on your forum name... It made me think of my young and skinny days.. and the great fun I had windsurfing... Many fun hours doing that...
Calm days made me search for a hobby I could enjoy when the wind wasn't blowing..so I bought a gentle lady kit and I have been hooked ever since !
Old 11-09-2016, 07:17 PM
orion4455

DEAR FOODSTICK AND OTHERS: I am Orion4455 and I have posted a picture of my Topflite Cessna 310, without home pictures, in rcuniverse seeking bids on the plane. THE PLANE SEEN ABOVE, IN ADS LABELED: w1nd6urfa, with pictures, is NOT MY PLANE. I can only wonder why another member would post his plane pictures on my ad. you be the judge. best, orion.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:20 AM
w1nd6urfa

Orion,
your post doesn't make any sense, no one can mess with your posts but yourself (and possibly an admin - but they usually delete not edit)
Old 11-10-2016, 11:22 AM
w1nd6urfa

Originally Posted by foodstick
Beautiful plane.. very nicely done..

And I have to comment on your forum name... It made me think of my young and skinny days.. and the great fun I had windsurfing... Many fun hours doing that...
Calm days made me search for a hobby I could enjoy when the wind wasn't blowing..so I bought a gentle lady kit and I have been hooked ever since !
Thank you for you kind words!

A fellow windsurfer! Do you also get the feeling that the "calm" days increase as we're getting older?
Old 11-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As the Moderator for this forum....
NO one can alter or edit a post except the originator of the post
or an Admin,, or a forum Moderator...
I did look at this post and debated editing it as it seemed a little off the wall..
However, I left it intact and thought it would be better to address it as I have....

If a poster does have a problem with a post from another member or them self
then all that is necessary is to hit the REPORT button at bottom of that post and
a Moderator or Admin will address it....
Old 11-10-2016, 06:21 PM
orion4455

ok. thanks for helping me with this. its the first time ive used the site to advertise. I may have made a mistake. I was just surprised to receive responses of pictures of another plane when I was trying to sell mine. orion. thanks again.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:58 AM
foodstick

Just thought I would bump this up there. Does anyone have a damaged wing panel for this plane ..no nacelle or wing tank needed. I would love to get a panel to strip down and possibly trace the parts so a wing plan and template could be made. Just another idea for down the road. It would be nice to try and dissect one and make it possible for people to build there own.. cost is pretty high on this wing new... and the quality was not
So if you have a broken panel sitting around in the way..let me know !
Old 03-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Sundownee
My Feedback: (30)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also own this 310, ready for maiden for about 2 years now. Hopefully this is the year I do it since I have time now. I was given a damaged 310, if I have a wing were good but shipping would be expensive here from ,Canada. Let me check first when I get home later.

Last edited by Sundownee; 03-10-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-10-2017, 02:03 PM
foodstick

I thought maybe someone had a single panel a bit broken up laying around, wouldn't need a whole wing... just one side that could be torn down, ribs and other parts traced out. I actually started drawing up the plans once because I have a kit without a right wing panel. I figured there might be a few people out there that would like to build new wings, but without kits, its hard to do.

I have a new left wing, but hated the idea of tearing it down to trace parts. I didn't want to sacrifice a new wing.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:00 PM
orion4455

Hello Foodstick: your messages pop up on my email list. I was thinking. there are thousands of people who want a 310. just run an ad to sell one, and look at the number of replies. maybe a petition could be started on rcgroups and rcuniverse to request that Topflite manufacture ARF 310's again and that parts be made available, as well. just an idea. best, orion....
Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 PM
rjwheeler

Sounds like an interesting offer, I have a right wing with the typical rear spar sitting around, The wing is just sitting around damaged anyway.
Bob
Old 03-11-2017, 06:10 AM
foodstick

Rjwheeler, Did you used to fly a twin over at the Ames multi engine fly? A Cessna pusher puller? If so I think we met there, and at a WW1 vintage fly south of Omaha one time.. You had a radial engine..or super nice 4 cylinder on a bipe?
Old 03-11-2017, 10:55 AM
rjwheeler

Orion, No can't say I did it must be someone else. In any case I have a right wing that failed when I landed a little hard. I just repaired another right wing I had sitting around with hoped to get this back in air. I'd to build one from the ground up and brace the critical areas better. I called Top Flight and talked with the tech support about the wings. I've had two fail with the same problem (rear spar cracks and flexes the wing to point it causes more damage. The design with the rib cut outs and just having a Balsa rear spar is probably the reason but the manufacture will not admit to it. I asked if I could get plans so I could cut my own but the plans are in Asia somewhere (no can do). It crossed my mind as well to take a wing a part and trace the parts but I just do not have time.
Bob
Old 03-12-2017, 03:00 AM
w1nd6urfa

If anyone wants to reinforce their rear spars, I have traced it (attached below)
If you can cut some ply and reapply white covering, its a half-day job

Attached Thumbnails TF C310 rear spar 02.pdf  
Old 03-12-2017, 04:03 AM
orion4455

Hello W1nd6urfa, Athens Greece: first, hello from a long way away. I find your pictures interesting. since I am new to this, I am curious about the covering and woodwork covering. If I may ask, how do you remove the white covering, and what do you use for new covering? also, do you glue the wood covering to all spars, or to alternate spars? and, what glue do you prefer to use? by the way, great pictures and work. best regards, orion.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:12 AM
w1nd6urfa

Hi there Orion,
since you're new to this and it's a challenging plane I'd suggest you find a buddy who's done wing repairs to help out?

If you really want to have a go at it, there's plenty of online videos and tutorials on repairing balsa wings, recovering etc. I'd still suggest learning the skills on an old plane before tackling the 310 wing

As you can see I removed the whole soft balsa rear spar which was 1/4" thick and replaced with 2mm airply laminated with 3mm hard balsa. the balsa skin is 2mm. Used aliphatic (wood) glue.

Last edited by w1nd6urfa; 03-12-2017 at 07:13 AM. Reason: grammar!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 AM
orion4455

W1nd6urfa: thanks for the reply. I wont be doing such work as I was just curious how you were doing your repairs. I thought about recovering the wings, but its not really necessary, and, ive talked to some builders and it takes some work and real knowledge. ive also been reading articles and consulting with rcbuilder groups to start educating myself. I am seriously thinking of buying a SIG Senior kit and building it for the fun and education since I haven't built planes since my teenage years a long time ago.
again, thanks for the reply and best regards,
orion.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:58 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old and long thread, I have read through this entire 153 pages and not noticed a lot of mention of DLE 20's. I have been flying my TF 310 on a pair of OS 91 Four strokes. I am planning on upgrading to DLE 20's. Just wondering if anyone besides the mention of Tinkerman has retro fitted DLE 20's into theirs? Saw one other guy had done so on you tube from England but has not given any details on any modifications/if any. The model flies on the 90's but could use a little more power, I am fearful that if one engine quits I will lose the model. I am moving away from Nitro powered models and switching to the reliability and feasibility of gasoline. I fly on a 1000 foot grass runway so I am not concerned with rollout or weight as the 91's are pretty heavy already. So, anyone else make this switch? If so what mods have you made? I guess these 310's are not around as much now as they used to be. Top Flite should definetly re introduce this model again. I am sure it would be a hit once more. Come on Top Flite, Get cracking!!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:53 AM
dobro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cessna 310 DLE 20's

Hey there Rotten 40851, Bob in Ohio here, I'm in the process now of installing DLE 20 cc engines in my 310. I already have the engines mounted. I did modify the nacelles for the engine placement. Once I mounted the engines, I wanted to beef up the engine mount to the nacelle. I used carbon fiber sheeting to reinforce the mount. I'll take some pics and share them for you. I liked how Tinkerman did his. I've had several successful single engine landings but I too want a more reliable gas engine. I did not fiberglass the wings, however I did go by a post on here showing how to foam fill the wings for extra strength. Pics to follow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	310 & Grandson.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2247058  

Last edited by dobro; 12-06-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Bob, Very Good. I am waiting on the second DLE to be delivered this coming Thursday ( 12 /7/17) I will then start to retro fit the engines. I would greatly appreciate pics of your mods. and battery/switch placements for the new power plants. This 310 is a beauty and I would hate to lose her. I think the 20's are the way to go. I purchased 2 side exhaust 20;s for the 310 as there is plenty of room on the sides of the nacelles, What about you? Side or Rear exhaust. I have several DLE 20;s and they really do run sweet, I feel they are a great choice for the TF 310. I am looking foreward to seeing your photos, Good luck with her and have a great holiday season. John
Old 12-06-2017, 08:58 AM
orion4455

haven't seen much on the 310 in a while. I'm sort of conservative in modifying a 310. heres why: 1. the Topflite 310 LOOKS GREAT. however, once you examine it, inside and out, you realize the thickness of the fuselage is about the same as your thumbnail thickness. this becomes a problem, I feel, when you start modifying the nacelles, etc. 2. I just sort of feel its a plane not designed for speed. the testing on it states 72 cruise, and 90 mph top speed. why buy a 310 when you can get a zak or another type plane that is fast, or you move up to a jet, or something else. I'm not sure a 310 is build for great speed, and once you invest a lot of work, money, and time, its a shame to see it in a pile on the ground if you have a problem. 3. one way to bypass the failure of one engine is to get the McDaniel glow system in case there is a problem. 4. I like the plane as it is. stock. now, of course, TinkermanRC did a great job with his modifications. just keep in mind, he is well connected to the plane manufacturers and has a pile of money in planes. he knows what he is doing.5. when you foam the wings, cut nacelles, put in bigger motors, add additional exhausts, etc., now you have to ask is it worth the money and time. AS FOR TOPFLITE re-introducing the 310, id like to see it for parts, and a new kit. I found a place in Slovakia that has a lot of stuff, but they don't/wont sell outside the European Union. good luck on the work. best regards. hope you have great success. keep the info posted. love to see new things about the 310.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.