Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

RC Snowmobile Polaris Fusion 900 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

RC Snowmobile Polaris Fusion 900 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:46 PM
ridgewalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Snowmobile Polaris Fusion 900 Build Thread

Well with winter comming i pulled out the sled.I noticed that there are a couple cracks on the edge of the track.I had put some ca glue on a couple that developed last winter and it seemed to hold up.I hope the track lasts this winter.
I also pulled out the hpi wheely king tranny to give it a look over and all is good.i would rather have a pulley/belt set up or build a tranny so it would be less weight.I'll probably just put the hpi wk tranny in again.

So what have you been working on?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 PM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

whats a good tranny that wont cost alot to put in mine
Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 PM
ridgewalker

As far as transmission's i happen to have a wheely king so i tried it out and with a bearing on one end and the other end in the wk tranny i got lucky it all worked out.When i had the wk tranny out i tried to see if there was a way i could use a stampede tranny but there is no way it would fit.
If you have this exact sled the only way i could figure it out was with the stock gears or the wk tranny.I wouldn't go out and buy a wk just for this sled i have a wk so it was no extra cost to me.In the summer the tranny goes back in the rock crawler.

This sled is fun and gives a good feeling all over when you have put so much time into it and you see it driving in the snow.It has inspired me to build my own sled from scratch and i will when i have more time and money.Till then i will keep tweaking the ones from the toy store.
A vxl will be going in it before the end of the winter,that should move it along ok.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:01 PM
theLane
My Feedback: (1)

Those are way too cool. Is there somewhere you can buy a nitro RC Snowmobile?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:10 PM
neyou86

is the wk tranny slow?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 PM
ridgewalker

Is the wk tranny slow?
Well i am running a 96t spur with a 15t pinion and an e-maxx motor 24 turn if i remember right, with two 8 cell nimh battery packs.Been running it back and forth on a carpet floor and it has plenty of tourque.Top speed should be better than last year because i have added 4 more cell's.
The wk tranny is geared low remember it comes from a wheely poping rock crawler type truck.If i could get another sled like this i take bake what i said about going out and getting a wk tranny just for a sled,i don't even know why i said that.
That being said i don't know how much it would cost to put one together part by part,but i will research it and let you know how much it would cost to put one together.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 PM
ridgewalker

Ok here are some part #
Tranny case hpi 85251 $14.00
gear set hpi 85259 $13.00
top gear drive shaft hpi 86815 $9.00
two 10x15x4mm bearings $??.??
two 5x11x4mm bearings $??.??
one hpi z244 e-clip
lower drive shaft hpi 86812 $??.??
two 2x10mm pin hpi z264 $??.??
the part that locks on the top shaft to mount the spur on i can't remember the correct name but the part # is hpi 85259 in the owners instructions.
motor plate hpi 86818 $??.??
That should do it for a parts list for the wk tranny.You would need some screw's to screw it together ten will do it.
I couldn't find prices for every # but i listed the ones i could find.I got the part #'s from my instruction manual that came with the wk.I think some of the parts come in a set.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM
ridgewalker

I'm trying a different esc i'm using the novak super duty it has a cell limit of 14 cell's but i am running 16 cell's through it.Seems ok running back and forth on the liv room carpet ha ha.The extra two cell's really wake up that e-maxx motor.
I know i shouldn't be running two 8 cell battery packs on that esc acording to the instructions but i thought i would give it a try.I'm hopping that the worst that will happen is that it will over heat and thermal and it should shut itself down before it's to late.I have read mr.novak himself running more cells than recomended and it working out good as long as you keep everything nice and cool.Since it will be running in the cold winter that should help keep any over heating in check,if not i do have a fan for the esc.
So with snow in the forecast i hope to be driving up and down the street late some night.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:24 PM
neyou86

ok thanks. i think i might just put a nb skidoo tranny in along with the track. so then my polaris will have a long track
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if eather of you need a custom tranny i could probbly do a simple one with my mill,
im not to familer with your sled, but it seems like the car trannys are bulky and not very well adapted to this use.
ifnot building one i could help you find a better one.
can you give a detailed pic of how your tranny is installed?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 AM
neyou86

how much would it cost to mill? i might have a picture in my thread on the toy forums.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Lorduss

Well if i did this i wouldnt ask any money, afterall im no pro machinest but i can get stuff done, and trannys dont work on dremel precision.
What kind of reduction are you looking for?
probbly pretty low, around 1/3 or so.
If you look at the art attack electric tranny on there website, you well see how simple it is, something like that well probbly work great for you, i just have to know what your mounting your tranny to, the art attack has a huge flat *plastic* plate that the tranny bolts to, alot of room for it and makes for a simple install.
the problem with using most any RC car tranny is its ment for 2 output shafts and on a snowmobile would be huge and bulky, a great example is the thunder tiger 1/5 scale RC bike tranny, its exactly like a snowmobile, pinion to spur, down a jackshaft built into the chassie to a chain sprocket directly to the wheel.
simple and extremely strong.
There are also trannys on Towerhobbies and other places ment for airplanes, that give all kinds of ratio reduction and with some modding can usually be bolted into most RC cars, you have plenty of room for one of these basicly airplane trannys.
when RC crawlers came out alot of them where using these before lathe motors cought on for the low RPM's needed to crawl, infact on some crawler supply stores you still may find some modded airplane trannys ment to bolt into some RC cars,
food for thought.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:17 PM
neyou86

im thinking like a 3:1 reduction that goes to a belt drive. like one of the great planes gear boxes. can you machine gears?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:24 PM
neyou86

i was thinking something like this
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAGC8&P=7
Old 12-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Lorduss

No i cannot machine gears yet, I can make 2 sideplates to match each other perfectly and other simple items.
i have used pinions on bearings to make a simple tranny, but that idea it self needs more work.
Even that tranny on that website may just about drop in for you guys, and should be a huge improvement over using any normal RC tranny.
is there anything else wrong with that tranny besides the gear ratio? the great thing about those trannys is its still easy to bolt in alot of power, even a mamba monster maxx if you wanted to see your chassie fold in half lol

edit: actually its the right ratio, looks like it takes a 400 motor, i belive our motors are considered 480 size if im not mistaken.
what would you change about that tranny?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 AM
neyou86

well i would mount a 550 motor on it and switch the prop adapter to a belt drive
Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
EvilSage

Ilike your track skid setup ridgewalker, is the drive wheel actually connected to the track skid anymore or do the 2 connections on the skid actually keep enough tension on their own? seems like a very simple setup Iwould like to try one like this
Old 12-22-2009, 03:15 AM
hurricane-fibers

Ok guys here is a little vid of one of the first tests in the snow from drew.

I can tell from the vid he is in no way getting top speed, there was a thin layer of ice so he was having problems getting traction.
but you can still see it do a few catwalks when trying to get full power.
I have given him some info on some of the tweaks he should do and he will get a lot more speed and it won't bounce so much.
Anyways here is the link to the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsP6p1J83MU
Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 PM
EvilSage

That's some real nice speed out of it.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 AM
neyou86

any updates?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Allistair

So I had picked up one of these Polaris snowmobile's on Clearance at Wal-mart a few years back and figured I'd just play in the snow with it as is, however it is too painfully slow.

I'm wondering if I can just change out the motor/ESC without doing a ton of mods. I'd really like to just swap in the motor/ESC and leave the rest stock if possible.

I was thinking either a Brushed Traxxas Titan or Stinger motor, or if it would take it, a cheap Brushless set up like the Hobby wing

Anyone have the answer?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Allistair

ORIGINAL: darylp

The decals on the side of the snowmobile are paper so if you roll, wipe off the melting snow on them or suffer wrinkled and deteriorating decals. .
When the whole rig is dry, apply some clear nail polish over them, it will act like a clear coat and keep them nice.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 AM
notallthere

I love the track mod on yours. Best one I have see and would like to build one. I have one modded with a Traxxas XL5-Titan 550 motor with a 16 tooth pinion gear running a single 7 cell 8.4v 5000mah battery. This one goes pretty good with minimal track slippage but still needs a track mod. The other build is has a Traxxas VXL3m ESC-Velineon brushless 350 motor 13 tooth pinion gear with an 11.1v 25c 5000mah Li-po battery. Now i have all the tourqe and speed I think this toy can handle but even with feathering the throttle the track slips. I'm going to try to duplicate your track mod to see if this helps. Soon I will post pics of both these mods with speed trials/ motor and esc temps and run times.
Would help me alot if you could post a parts list for your track mod.
Nice build
Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 PM
ridgewalker

notallthere.....It's been a long time.....

I haven't even farted around with the snowmobile at all this winter...and only once last winter.I may not ever run it again...sadly it's just sitting on the floor in my shop collecting dust[X(]
The servo was removed and used in an air boat i built,i don't have any batteries that i can use in it anymore.

So the track....I built the track sides myself i just sketched out what i wanted from looking at pics of real sleds.

Let me know if you need to see some pics and i'll dig it out.

Ridgewalker
Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Nitrotek.Se

Looks absolutely sick!! Well done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.