Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > VPP - Variable Pitch Prop 4D flying
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying the OMP Variable pitch unit yet?

Notices
VPP - Variable Pitch Prop 4D flying Discuss VPP - Variable Pitch Prop 4D flying in this forum

Anyone flying the OMP Variable pitch unit yet?

Old 07-22-2005, 10:06 AM
RChobby53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone flying the OMP Variable pitch unit yet?

ORIGINAL: ckoerner

I flew mine with three cells last night. What a difference. If I came down and hit full negative, the airplane would back up and then be horizontal. With the three cells mine is still under 7oz. Right now I have about the same vertical as I did with a regular Axi 2208-34 set-up on 2 cells. I think I might order the Axi with the Hobby Lobby set-up and give that a try. I was at a fly in and Scott Foster was pitted next to us. He was flying his and had plenty of power.
ckoerner, can you measure how much throw (distance the pitch rod moves) you have from full negative to full positive pitch? You seem to be getting better thrust than others.
Thanks!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:12 AM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

I will measure it this weekend.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 07-22-2005, 10:26 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Craig, your saying the hobby lobby setup was better?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:36 AM
ckoerner

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Craig, your saying the hobby lobby setup was better?
I actually saw the Hobby Lobby set-up fly before I bought the Ikarus one. When I saw the Hobby Lobby set-up fly, he had plenty of power. I bought the Ikarus one because it looked better engineered and with their motor it was a lot lighter. I have the Ikarus motor and VPP set-up. By watching mine fly and the Hobby Lobby set-up, I would say the Hobby Lobby set-up did look to have more power. You have your Ikarus set-up on an AXI right? Sounds like the Ikarus VPP unit might not be as efficient as the Hobby Lobby set up. I don't know what everyone is coming up with weight on their planes, but mine is in the mid 6oz range with battery. That might be why mine is performing good. I know if mine weighed a little more I probably would be disappointed.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 07-22-2005, 10:39 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, mine is on the axi, my plane weighs a bit more as I put some extra stuff on it. Ill build another lighter and order up a HL unit.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:45 AM
ckoerner

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Yep, mine is on the axi, my plane weighs a bit more as I put some extra stuff on it. Ill build another lighter and order up a HL unit.
I might order one also and compare the two. Could always try changing the blades on the Ikarus one. I don't know what would work though.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:00 AM
ckoerner

John,
Did you ever order the HL one? I flew mine some more this past week(IKARUS VPP). I changed my blade holders around as they where on wrong as stated in the above post. I had my negative set up pretty well. It would stop and actually back up. I had some problems on the positive pitch side. I barely had enough positive to go vertical. I was playing with my pitch servo throws until it vibrated so bad at positive pitch it destroyed the front of the airplane. The only thing on the VPP set-up that broke was the pitch rod bent. I ended up repairing the plane and put the S2 on there with out the VPP unit. I have a 9x4.7 on it with a Thunder Power 2 cell 730 battery pack. This little motor is pretty good. Just a little less power then my AXI 2208/34, but this plane does weigh an ounce lighter then when the axi was on there.