Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

New WH 40% Extra in the works?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:39 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New WH 40% Extra in the works?

ORIGINAL: southern_touch9

Any news or pictures of the 40% yet?? It seems like the smaller birds have taken over the thread []
Nothing new, the planes are on the way and should be here in a couple weeks. I will send them to the testers asap and we hope to have some results within a month.

I will say that the 28% plane, which is an exact copy of the larger one, flies sweet. I fully expect the big one to be one of the best planes available in the USA, fully competitive at any level of IMAC or any other organization.

TF
Old 02-01-2006, 08:09 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking forward to getting one The composite 260 I think is something to drool over.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:05 AM
rctom

The 41% Extra 300 prototypes have been sent out to the testers.

The first reports have the expected weight with a DA-150 at about 38 lbs. This was estimated by weighing all the components that will go into it, then adding on a mystery pound (that weight that always appears out of nowhere).

This includes a 2 pound aluminum landing gear, potential savings there.

Here's a photo of the plane with Bill Hempel who helped design the plane. Bill should get a lot of credit, it's a beautiful plane.

Note that all the surfaces come pre-hinged with pocket hinges similar to the composite planes' hinges. It uses a CF rod as a hinge pin, very high tech.

TF
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41781.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	415103  
Old 02-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Jecarte
My Feedback: (8)

This question is probably already answered somewhere, but how many servos are needed for the production 40% aircraft on the ailerons and stabs?
Old 02-27-2006, 10:55 AM
rctom

It is set up for 3 servos in each wing and 2 servos on each elevator. However with the new super powerful servos available we are hoping that we can reduce servo count to 2 in each wing and 1 on each elevator. We are testing the planes that way to verify that it all works together.

Reducing servo count to 2 and 1 reduces weight by at least a half pound and reduces cost by about $650 since you no longer need matchboxes.

It also has a tray for 3 servos on rudder, I think 3 will be required if you want the plane to perform at it's maximum capability.

TF
Old 02-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks sweet, Tom! Good to see Bill again.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:09 PM
rctom

Pat:

Too bad you're taking off, I'd have included you as a tester. By the time you're back we should have them in production.

TF
Old 02-27-2006, 01:27 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

If you supply me with everything I need to build it like an engine and servos and such, I'll test it in his place...
Old 02-27-2006, 01:38 PM
rctom

That's really generous!

TF
Old 02-27-2006, 02:08 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: rctom

This was estimated by weighing all the components that will go into it, then adding on a mystery pound (that weight that always appears out of nowhere).

It is funny you mention this. I do the same thing weighing everything to come up with the final weight and then bang at the very end it gains a little weight. I have a theory that I have lead pooping gremlins in my garage that sneak into my shop as a plane is being finished and do their business in the corners of the airframe where you can't see them.

It is going to weigh more than 38 pounds if Bill tries to put his daughter in this one like he did his 52% Edge.

Dan Bierly
Old 02-27-2006, 02:31 PM
TOC Pilot

Just a short note on the new 40% Extra.

I have started assembling the Extra yesterday and I am amazed by all the "little" details that I am seeing for the first time. I noticed that the fuselage sides are actually curved and not flat. I am sure it would have been a lot easier to manufacture the fuse sides as two flat pieces but they took the extra time to make it look more scale. The laser cut wood is perfect, light and put together well. This plane uses a foam/sheeted turtle deck that really helps with good looks (no stringer lines to see through the covering). The motor box is complete and after measuring my motor it looks like I will need about a 1/2" to 3/4" standoff. The plane also has a canister area for the pipes. This box is already installed and complete, all you would need to do is install your pipe hangers and you are done. The paint looks great on the cowling and wheel pants. The landing gear is aluminum and weighs 2 lbs. but it comes polished. Carbon gear would reduce some weight for those looking to do so. The tail wheel that comes with the kit really impressed me! It is a simple 5/32" wire type (or similar metric size) with a swivel wheel. What is nice about it is that it matches the main landing gear; the tail wheel assembly is polished (chrome) and has a nice size tail wheel that is sturdy and light. One of the best details about this plane is the ability to change between a 3D stab and rudder. The hinging on this plane is FIRST RATE! All control surfaces have scale like hinges and the plane complete with all the hinging complete. No gluing required. No more miss aligned control surfaces.
I really have high hopes for this plane; everything I have seen so far looks GREAT. Anyone interested in this plane will really be impressed. I am so far. I plan on flying this plane this coming weekend if all goes well I will report back with a flight report.

Bill Hempel
Old 02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Hoss
My Feedback: (4)

Bill,

From everything I see this looks like it will be a real winner. I look forward to your flight reports.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Tired Old Man

Tom,

Thanks, and I fully understand. I was kind of looking at the same time line. It should provide the opportunity to amass some funding and a few additional parts. Now all I need to do is find a flying location somewhere near Hood River that permits something other than "quiet" flyers. If it ain't loud, it can't be as good as it could.

Pat
Old 02-27-2006, 11:13 PM
dmccutchen
My Feedback: (2)

Bill,

I have one of the evaluation airframes, I second all of your observations! I am awaiting the return from a 3W-150TS from Gerhard, needed a rework before going into this plane. What canisters are you running, how did they fit and what header drop and run did you come up with? I have not ordered the exhaust system yet and without the engine it's difficult to estimate the proper header.

Any information would be helpful, I want to get the cans and headers on the way. I will have the plane ready to fly awaiting the exhaust with less than eight man-hours of labor in the airplane! Quite an impressive level of completion out of the box. Nice work!

David McCutchen
Old 02-27-2006, 11:21 PM
airborneSGT

Something tells me I might have a hard time selling this as business expense for my construction company. Looks great and I am looking forward to Bill put it through its paces. Its nice to see Wild Hare move to the next level!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:38 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

I want one NOW!!! HOpefully everything will go well in the test so you can get these things out soon
Old 02-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Tired Old Man

You wouldn't be able to write off all of it, but a large percentage would do depending on the graphics you applied to the fuse and wings. Your company logo and phone number large enough to be read will go a long ways if you take pictueas of it and speak to your CPA. Advertising, you know.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:55 AM
rctom

Actually, IMHO, a plane like that flown ain the local community can make excellent advertising, especially for a construction company.

It's easy to see in the ground and in the air, the big ones tend to be the most photographed and the ones everybody watches, I see no reason it's not legitimate advertising.

TF
Old 02-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Hoss
My Feedback: (4)

Just wanted to give you guys a little update on the airframe that I received yesterday. In 2 short hours I was able to pull everything out of the 2 boxes and inspect contents, and everything was as it should be. Bill you are right when you talk of "little" things that have been done and how everything looks. I mounted the mains & tail gear and have the stabs finished with single 8611's per side. After work today I imagine I will get going on the wings and get the Hitec's in and programmed and then hopefully tomorrow get installing all of the electronics in the fuse. When I get home I will get more detail for all of you.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:04 PM
airborneSGT

Well I think it would be a worth while advertising investment then! That would look cool if I could get a more plane scheme or have one done custom

Anxious to hear some flight reports. Wondering if DA 150 is the way to go or 3W 157, ZDZ 160? This would be the IMAC plane with sometimes 3D and hovering.

Also is everyone going to 8611A's all around or use some Hitec servos as well?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:26 AM
rctom

We will be selling the planes in two formats, ARF and ARC. If you order ARC there is a guy here in town who is a pro at covering and he will give you a quote for a custom job done from your design.

Engine choice can be any of those. I know the DA-150 fits without cutting for the plugs, also the 150 and 157. I'd assume the ZDZ-160 will also.

Bill Hempel is using Futaba 9152 servos, Dave McCutchen is using JR 8611a. I think others are using Hitec 5955.

TF
Old 03-23-2006, 09:54 PM
pit_basher
My Feedback: (3)

Any word on the 28% Extra 300? This will be my first WH and first gasser, so Im very excited about it.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:07 PM
rctom

No change, still due late May early June.

TF