Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

3 blade prop on your hare?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 blade prop on your hare?

I am just wondering if anyone is flying a 3 blade prop on their wildhare planes?

I can see how this type prop would have advantages. For instance the 3 blade props are smaller in diameter. This provides more ground clearence. I know there have been times when I went to a big 24" prop that I really had to go easy on the landings or I could dork a prop.

I guess a disadvantage would be added weight?

If you are flying a 3 blade, which one and which size? Where did you get it and what spinner are you using?

What RPM's do you get compared to a 2 blade?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:34 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 3 blade prop on your hare?

I'm not going to comment on the 24" prop thing. They work great on 60cc and up size engines.

The three blade props, properly sized, will usually provide a tad bit better vertical performance, but don't brake as well on the down line. The noise level will drop a little, and the rpm numbers will be similar to what you have with a two blade.

To change from a 2 blade to a 3 blade, drop one inch in diameter and add one step up in pitch from what you had with the 2 blade. The size steps don't always work out when transitioning from 2 to a 3, so the pitch part often needs to be tempered a bit. Bear in mind that spinner costs will go up, along with a significant rise in prop cost,
Old 01-22-2006, 12:33 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to get one for my Edge just because I think it would look sweet. Does any know why you gut up in pitch and why they don't break as good? What I mean on the pitch question is if I was running a 23x10, I'd use a 22x12. Why couldn't I use a 22x10? I think the lower pitch would be better, but this is a new area to me.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Tired Old Man

A three blade prop has a smaller frontal "footprint" in it's arc, reducing the amount of drag on the downlines. I believe the increase in pitch is for a similar reason, but without researching a lot of wing geometry and fluid dynamics I can't state with certainty.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Ken Bryant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bear in mind that spinner costs will go up, along with a significant rise in prop cost,
You know I noticed that. The funny thing is I think it would be able to justify it's self. When I have nicked a prop it's almost always that outer 1/2" tip by going with a three blade it's a smaller diameter and that would equate to less chance of nicking a prop. Less nicked props equal savings. The funny thing is I would never really be able to tell when I saved the money because you can't tell when you almost nick a prop
Old 01-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Tired Old Man

Good point. I nicked the tip of a Mejzlik once during a run up. Really irritating to have to dress a prop because it sucked in a small rock from a stand still.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Futurase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 3 blade prop cuts noise and it cutss thrust doen too. The model will be faster, but you WILL loose braking in a downline as the disk is smaller and it WILL NOT come out of a hover near as well.

I have a DA 50 and Da will tell you their official reccomendation is a 22x10 for sequence flying and a 24x8 for down on the deck 3D and a 23.8 for a good balance of both. I run a Mejzlik 23x8. It does just as they say. I like 3 Blades and I have a Mejzlik 21x11.5 Narrow 3 Blade Mejzlik and it is what DA says the DA 50 likes. It turns almost identical to a 23x8 2 blade and my Edge is a little faster, but doe not come out of a hover NEAR as well. Not NEAR as well. I took it off as a Edge is no sequence plane anyway. I love the 3 blade for a Extra 330L. A 2 blade or a 3 is simply a matter of what you want to do. IMAC sequence flying it is preferred. 3D is is not.

My Mejzlik 23x8 is perfectly quiet anyway so noise is no issue.

Norman Ross Jr.