Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

First flights of GP Super Stearman w/ G26

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

First flights of GP Super Stearman w/ G26

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 04:53 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First flights of GP Super Stearman w/ G26

Birdog,

I used the included engine mount for my 1.20FS however I have been faced with a similar problem before.

What I did was to bend an L shape on the end of a piece of music wire, slip it through the bolt holes, far back enough to be able to hook the blind nuts onto the end of the wire. Then carefully pull the wire back through the firewall till the blind nuts seat in the holes you drilled.
You can then tighten them into the firewall by inserting the motor mount bolts and tighten them.

Hope this helps

Ari
Old 09-21-2004, 05:30 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to cut some of the angle formers away to make them fit and make approximatly 13/16 spacers to mount your engine to. I would give you pictures of the inside but I would have to disassemble it. Do you have a dremel? that is what I did. And you will most likely have to do that to the outside angle formers too. I wished the wind would die down so's I could fly mine some more. I have only gotten to fly it twice. It has been really bad here. I guess I am chicken but I dont want to mess it up. By the way since you are putting a G26 on it what type of radio and receiver are you using? I am using JR 8103 with a 770 PCM.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:55 PM
birdog

How did you deal with installing the blind nuts on the inside of the firewall with the G26? I am trying to install the G26 on my stearman, and the mounting bolts on the one side come through the firewall right next to the plywood stringer that runs through the firewall. It seems like you would lose a lot of structure by destroying that plywood stringer to install the blindnuts. HELP!
Old 09-21-2004, 06:57 PM
birdog

How did you deal with installing the blind nuts on the inside of the firewall with the G26? I am trying to install the G26 on my stearman, and the mounting bolts on the one side come through the firewall right next to the plywood stringer that runs through the firewall. It seems like you would lose a lot of structure by destroying that plywood stringer to install the blindnuts. HELP!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:11 PM
crashland 73

I just drilled holes to match my mount on the 26 and ran me a wire through the hole and put the blind nut on it and bent the wire so the nut wouldnt come off and pulled it to where it would at least stick and then screwed a bolt in it with a lot of washers or larger nuts to jam it to the wood and once you mount the motor mount epoxy the blind nuts in place. I hope this helps. If not I will try and draw it. Let me know.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:52 PM
falkon

I took a 3/4 inch thick pice of pine and mounted blind nuts to it for my g26 then mounted that to the stock firewall with the stock motor mount blind nuts. I needed the 3\4 inch space anyway. this way you dont hurt the stock firewall.

I remade it because the wood idea wasnt that good. this mount was made by me in about 2 hrs. it bolts to the stock firewall and can be removed if I want to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20427.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	178593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23839.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	178594  
Old 10-21-2004, 05:49 PM
tucson

I am putting a Sullivan smoke system into my G-26 powered Stearman. Any help as to where you mounted the receiver, pump, and tank would be greatly appreciated. Also what size and make of the tank you used for smoke with the G-26.

I plan on using the stock muffler that came with the engine. I will also use the same battery for my receiver and servos to drive the pump. I am using a 5 cell 2700 mah battery for all.

Any ideas or actual experience in setting this up would really help. I have never used smoke before.

I currently have about 50 flights on the Stearman and it flys great.

Thanks, Stan
Old 10-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Stan,

It is not generally a good idea to use your receiver battery for anything other than the receiver and servos. You wouldn't want to chance losing the plane because the pump drew the battery down prematurely.

My buddy has one of these powered by a 120 fourstroke. He runs smoke so carries the extra weight of pump, tank, and auxiliary batteries around. It flies great. He is at half throttle most of the time.

Add the extra pack for the pump. You will never regret adding it but you could regret not adding it.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:38 PM
tucson

Meesh,

I agree with you that there is always the possibility of excess battery drainage from the pump motor if something goes wrong. I believe that a 2700mah battery would under normal circumstances be able to handle the extra 250mah draw with no problems.

I am just trying to save some weight and the space is limited in this airplane.

If anyone has equipt their Stearman with smoke and has any install information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Stan
Old 10-24-2004, 09:46 PM
elderair
My Feedback: (29)

Hey guys,

I have been flying my Gene Soucey Extra from GP on a Jack's 29cc. It is a Chineese copy of a G-23 that has been machined down and modified by Jack Canaday with a 2.0mm stroker crankshaft for a 29cc displacement. This engine weighs 43 oz. inc. ign. and will swing any of the 18X6 props well. I am running an 18X6 Mejzlik on mine with 9700rpm on the ground and great vertical on a 13.5 lb airplane. Sounds like it would be at home perfectly on the Stearman. Give Jack a call and find out about getting one. Intro price is 399.00 with syncro spark ign. Jacks shop number is 816-528-3937. Also wackerengines.com will sell a wrap around pitts style muffler for $45.00. A G-26 muffler fits right on. Good luck with those Stearmans. I might need to get myself a Christmas present this year and it might have to be a Stearman. There are pix of this engine installation on my Soucey on the GP Gene Soucey Extra list at about post #370.
Kent
Old 12-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Kamikazi
My Feedback: (4)

Kent,

I have plans to use two of these Chinese Zenoah clones myself. The first one is a Sikk 27cc in my GP Super Stearman, and the second will be the stroked version (29cc) in a CMP 72" Extra 300. Both engines have the flywheel housing machined off - just like Jack did (first time I've heard of his). I'm using a Ralph Cunningham CD ignition on mine. I'm hoping both planes to have good vertical - especially the Extra. These engines are very cheap, powerful and lightweight - especially after machining off the flywheel housing.
How is your 29cc engine holding up? What carb did Jack use on your engine? I'm planning to try the Walbro WT668 that came on mine. And a Wackerengines muffler...
Old 12-12-2004, 01:53 PM
elderair

kamakazi,

My 29cc is holding up great. I have about three gallons through it now and it is nearly broke in. The chrome on the cyl. is very hard and so is the ring, which is good in the long run. Jack is using a G-38 carb which works well and is reliable. A 14 oz. tank lasts about 20 minutes using throttle management. You will have good vertical. My engine likes either a Mejzlik 18X6 or Menz S 18X6 best. The APC's spool too slow but are useable. At around 13 lb. my plane has out of sight vertical. Jack's engines are 43 oz. with the C&H synchro spark set up. I bought a $44.00 pitts style muffler from wackerengines.com and it works fine without hurting performance much.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:21 PM
crashland 73

I flew mine the other day 2 times and finally got the hang of it. I really like how it handles. I up't the idle so it wouldnt die when I landed (g26) and I can fly about 20 min easy at 1/4 throttle or a tad more. Have anymore of you all flown yours lately or has it been windy everywhere else just like here?
Old 12-14-2004, 11:29 PM
sphorvath

I'm building a GP Stearman with a Fuji 32, this is my first gasser and am not sure of how that motor will perform in this plane. Any feedback would be great.

thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 01:17 PM
zeilgang

I am a rookie who has been flying around in a trainer, which I was bored with a long time ago. Now I am thinking of making the jump from a trainer and like what I see and read about GP Super Stearman. Question is, am I being too ambitious? Is this a good move for someone getting ready to make the leap from a boring LT-40 trainer? Don't want to make the financial pop and then take core samples of the terra firma.

LZ
Old 12-19-2004, 04:25 PM
crashland 73

I wouldnt suggest it. I would probably go with something like a Super Sportster low wing first or 4 star 40 or 60 low wing, any good low wing for that matter. (there are others). The bipes are fun to fly but you need a bit of stick time before you start with one. It wouldnt hurt to get one and take you time building it but just dont have the erge to fly it untiil you sucsessfully fly and land a good low wing plane.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:25 PM
zeilgang

Thanks for the advice, I wish you would elaborate a little more as to why you think more low wing experience is important before flying the Stearman. Everyone says that it's a docile flyer. could you be more specific? thanks.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:49 PM
crashland 73

It is a great flyer. I like mine fine. I have a Zenoah G26 on my Stearman. But, looking back I wouldnt have tried to fly it until I could fly something that didnt float in when I was landing. Mine has to have a little rudder while flying. More so than other models do. If you get the low wing planes takeoff's and landings down pat without a glitch, then I would say you were ready for a bipe. Your friends are right in saying they fly good but when all you have flown are trainers, it would be a heafty task. I would think. I can compare it to this in a way. I am a sharpshooter. I shoot a .308 sniper rifle, when my wife wants to shoot with me, I dont dare set her up with it (308). I would start her out with a .22 rimfire so's that she would get the handle of things. Then go maybee to a .223 centerfire for a while to get her to be accurate and get used to a little recoil. Then when and only when she thought she was ready for a large bore let her loose on the .308. And when she does she will have all the basics in her head on how and what to do when shooting. Stance, hold and breathing just to name a few. You have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. You may do as you wish. This is just my experiance. I hope I have been some help to you.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:26 AM
kykid88

I just received GP Super Stearman yesterday after waiting two months for shipping. (I am stationed in Germany). I wish I had not waited this long to start reading these forums about this plane. I am perplexed with the same decision that most seem to be here. WHAT ENGINE DO I WANT? I am looking seriously at the MVVS 26cc or 35cc gasser. Does anyone know anything about these engines? It seems that the 26cc has quite a bit more power than the G26. They are lighter and they mount more like a glow engine so I wouldn’t have to do anything to the firewall. Several guys at my field have the 35cc MVVS and they love it. I just can’t decide if 35cc is too much for the super stearman. Appreciate any advice.

Scott
Old 12-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I have a friend that flies his with a Saito 120. He even has a smoke system installed and he still flies at 1/2 throttle. I have an MVVS 35 and I also have the Saito 120. Personally, I think the 35 would be too much engine.

Thanks to you and your fellow servicemen for doing what you're doing!
Merry Christmas to all of you!
Old 12-23-2004, 08:05 AM
kykid88

I am still debating using an OS FS 120 because I have one but I wanted to get into gas. Now that I am looking at the kit I know installing the 120 would be a lot easier, however I still am itchung to go gas. It is hard to compare the output between glow and gas. For instance the MVVS 26cc says it has 3.8HP or 2,8KW @ 9000 RPM. Now that definatley sounds like more output than the Zenoah G26 or the OS FS 120. Can you just look at these figures and go by the numbers or is there something else to look at. I don't want to put too much power in the Stearman, but I have too many planes that I wish I had bought bigger engines for and I don't want to make that mistake again. Sorry I am rambling, I guess I just want to make sure that the MVVS 26cc actually has quit a bit more power than the OS fS 120.
Thanks
Old 12-23-2004, 01:23 PM
elderair

kykid88,

I have been using a 29cc gasser modified here in the states for model usage. It puts out more power than the 26 and is much lighter on the included electronic ing. (C&H synchro spark). 43oz. and swings a 18x6 Mejzlik at 9400rpm. The engine builder is a performance engine builder and machinist named Jack Canaday. The Jack's 29cc is available now for around 420.00 and includes the ign. unit. Jack's number is 816-528-3937 and he is located in Lathrop, Missouri. This would be an excellent engine for this plane. Price is without muffler but a G-23 muffler will fit
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84196.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	206087  
Old 12-23-2004, 11:05 PM
crashland 73

my g26 flys mine under 1/2 throttle easy with some wind. and it balances out perfect. It doesnt use much gas either. I like the idea of not haveing to charge a battery for the ignition. It may add a little weight but for what I fly like it doesnt matter. The MVVS might be a better engine yet if it installs without mods. I would like that engine myself.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:47 AM
4 stroken ron

ORIGINAL: elderair

kykid88,

I have been using a 29cc gasser modified here in the states for model usage. It puts out more power than the 26 and is much lighter on the included electronic ing. (C&H synchro spark). 43oz. and swings a 18x6 Mejzlik at 9400rpm. The engine builder is a performance engine builder and machinist named Jack Canaday. The Jack's 29cc is available now for around 420.00 and includes the ign. unit. Jack's number is 816-528-3937 and he is located in Lathrop, Missouri. This would be an excellent engine for this plane. Price is without muffler but a G-23 muffler will fit
I wonder what that wonderful looking little motor is based on. It looks great, appaers to be a 2 piece case with front and rear bearings. Not a bad price either, as it includes ignition. I guess I will have to contact Jack the next time I am need of a motor that size.
Ron
Old 12-24-2004, 10:56 AM
kykid88

Well I went to my LHS with the fuse and cowling to see how the MVVS 26 would fit in. They only had one muffler and it would not even come close to working in the Stearman. Here in Germany the MVVS engines are a lot less expensive than I can find them online, even after you convert dollars to Euros (which is very sad right now). I decided to wait and see what muffler would work and there aren't many available for that engine. After crunching many numbers thrust vs wieght and cost. I reverted back to the idea of a glow engine. I think this kit is right on the verge of Gas and Glow and for the weight you get more power with glow. I am planning on putting the Saito FA 180 in my Stearman and make my next plane bigger and go Gas then. The Saito weighs less than the OS 120 and has more power. How can I go wrong with that. The only down side I hear about the 180 over the 150 is that it has more vibration. I don't know how big of a deal that is. can anyone tell me? The 180 is only $20.00 more than the 150 at wholesaletrains.com so it only makes sense to me to go with the 180 since it doesn't weigh any more. Of course I am still looking for advice on this decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.