Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New H9 Cub??

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New H9 Cub??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 02:00 AM
steed302

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New H9 Cub??

My cub also came with the "crushed rudder", I was so anxious to fly that I simply opened up the covering, fixed the break with some CA, and resealed the covoring. It flew just fine but looked a litte bad so I ordered a replacement from my LHS and glued it on. The part numbers are in the front of the manual, which, if you dont have one, is available at horizons website.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:00 AM
dafid

I hope hangar 9 sort out the packaging and inventry problems. Id hate mine to be damaged or parts missing when delivered. Its a little to consistant for my likeing.

Uh-Oh
The robart undies is very simular to the one ive got, except the robart has no full rear straping, see pic the fixing points still do the same job tho. Both good undies for the cub.

Regards Dave ----------No the other Dave he he he
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47038.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	409193  
Old 02-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Uh-Oh!

Dave: Very good idea on the LG straps. I'll make a couple for mine. According to my LHS, Horizon knows about the problem and is working on a solution. They asked if it were in a differnt box would it be a problem. I responded "I'm not gonna' fly the box, am I?" LOL Everyone is working on the problem and I have no ill will toward anyone in this situation. It's just part of the learning curve. I had 2 yellow Twists about a year apart from each other. The packaging evolved between the 2. I had no problems with either one but, I heard of damaged-in-box problems from the 1st batch.

Steed: Both of these were crushed beyond CA work. The first was about 1-1/2" in a notch type pattern. Number 2 had the same pattern but even had wood hanging out of the covering as well.

I'm a little weird. (OK, I'm a lot wierd, but that's another story...) I feel that for the price of the ARF airframe ($210), I shouldn't have to work on it. I don't need the RTF parts but, it won't hurt to have some more. In mycase the entire reason for getting the PNP was not to have to work on it, if you know what I mean.

Everything will be alright I'm sure...

Dave, no the other, other, Dave
Old 02-16-2006, 10:36 AM
dafid

Hope thay have it sorted by march dont want to be messing about ie sending back an replacement parts,repairs ect just want outa the box put together an go an fly. As it is it will have a long way to travel to the UK. Thats approx a 14 day turn around. Im keeping my eye open incase one of our model shops gets them in but i dont think so some how, i had to get the P51 PTS Trainer
from the USA, as the UK still avent imported them yet.

PS Thats somthing to think about a flying cardboard box Mmmmmmmmmm he he he.

Regards Dave, this Dave
Old 02-16-2006, 02:23 PM
bjohnson80
My Feedback: (63)

We have had three of these thru our shop and no damage due to shipping. I just assembled mine, and it went perfect. No damage or missing parts. Maybe just some bad luck with some in the shipping process. Did you notice the wood glued inside the cardboard box that was around the motor? Maybe someting like that around the top of the rudder would help a bit.

Brian
Old 02-16-2006, 07:23 PM
HOOTER

Hey Uh-Oh....If they don't want any of those planes back....I know how to build a rudder and I'am will to make a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Uh-Oh!

We've got some rough UPS guys around here but, I can't say that they were to blame for sure. I've seen them toss stuff around fairly aggressively though. I'm glad your 3 came in fine.

H-9 took a lot of care in the design of the box with the wood "puncture protectors" and it should be effective. If this were an empty ARF, I don't think the damage would've happened. The added weight of the flight gear and the installed rudder at the impact point, combined with some rough handling, is the culprit. If this were a PNP Twist, I don't think it would've happened either. The Twist's rudder/vertical stab is keyed into the fuse and installed by the assembler. In my opinion, H-9 needs to figure out a way to keep the fuse assembly from shifting fore and aft. It could be as simple as placing it on a full box sized piece of cardboard and doing the heavy plastic shrink wrap thing. Ironically, this is how the last generation 5th scale H-9 Cub ARF was packaged. If nothing else, put it on the box sized piece of cardboard (in it's shipping bag please) and tape the snot out of it!!

Jimmy (HOOTER), I was wondering when you'd chime in on this....[8D] and no, as of right now, Horizon wants them back. You could call Kevin though and see if he can get you a deal though...

For those of you that don't know Jimmy, he's been known to glue splinters together from a completely totalled airframe and make it fly again. You know the kind of "ooops" where there's a 25 by 75 foot debris field and the engine is either 100 feet in front, or 12 inches down, from the rest of it.

Horizon will figure it out, I've got confidence in them.

Dave, the REAL Dave
Old 02-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Uh-Oh!

ORIGINAL: dafid

PS Thats somthing to think about a flying cardboard box Mmmmmmmmmm he he he.

Don't laugh too hard, there are Pizza Box planes out there with fuelproofed cardboard, as well as the coroplast ones, for a wing you know... And as soon as HOOTER springs for some junk high torque servos, I'll build my flying ladder!

Imagine an 8 foot section of cheap aluminum extension ladder (9 pounds). Attach two 4" by 8" sheets of 2 mil coroplast with internal foam ribs and 2 wing tubes through the ladder rungs for wings, build up a coroplast tail and faux fuselage. Then... (drum roll please) put on the four 31cc Ryobi gas engines that I have! I've got everything I need but servos and coroplast. Best of all, I have zero dollars invested so far! And I don't plan on buying anything but the coro... It ought to be fun anyway...

El Genuine Dave
Old 02-17-2006, 01:41 AM
dafid

GREAT STUFF that sounds like fun to me.
Just an idea a baby buggy for an under carriage.[8D][8D]

Going of on a fun tangent is that Dave. Oh no its me
Old 02-17-2006, 01:51 AM
dafid

oooooH oooops mucking fuddle Hit the wrong tab.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Uh-Oh!

ORIGINAL: dafid

Just an idea a baby buggy for an under carriage.[8D][8D]

EXCELLENT! I ought to be able to find one of those older buggy's with the sprung wheels.... If it's not tooooooo heavy, the bed part would make a great cockpit too!!!

Great idea! Consider yourself to be one of the designers. Of course, this title also permits you to share in the blame, shame, ribbing, and outright ridicule in this project. You are also entitled to smile and say "I told you so!" as much as you like.

D..., Dav..., Dic.... Awwww, I forgot my name again... Where's my work shirt... It's got a name on it... It starts with a D, I think
Old 02-17-2006, 08:46 AM
dafid

AH AH AH AH
Old 02-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Uh-Oh!

We've got Cub!!!!! We've got Cub!!!!!

The 3rd time was the charm. The shipping guys just packed the end boxes the rudder and cowl/engine ride in with bubble wrap. It worked!! No missing parts. No other damage. I'm happy....

Assembly commences in the morning.

Dave, the gen-u-whine Dave. (I looked at my drivers licence this time)
Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 PM
wingride47
My Feedback: (2)

Well dave if that is your real name, when you start the the wing assembly take note there are two different size bolts I in my stupid arrogance did not and had to go back and change some out also you may want to consider an external charging jack and voltwatch I velcroed the volt watch inside the cabin where it can be seen from just about any angle. and now i dont have to unscrew the 4 screws to field charge it. good luck on the build and best regards.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Uh-Oh!

Thanks for the advice. I have a few Ernst charge jack housings on the pegboard and had already planned for that. The heads up on the bolt sizes is appreciated. If it can be screwed up (pun intended), I can do it!

I used to wear Redwing boots. I had 3 pairs of the same style. I got a pair out of the laundry room and commenced to putting them on. The left one went on pretty much normally, but, it took quite a few minutes longer than normal to put on the other left one....

sincerely yours,

Luxury Yacht
(Formerly Dave. It's getting confusing with all the Daves around here...)
Old 02-18-2006, 03:06 AM
dafid

To incog / alias / Dave / Uh-Oh
GOOD LUCK on maiden let us know how she sails, keep us posted m8.

Regards er er er which Dave ?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Uh-Oh!

Well, other than popping the cowl off to remove the needle limiters and maybe install a fueler fitting, she's ready to fly. This plane was a joy to assemble. Everything fit just like it's supposed to. I installed the Ernst charge jack where the switch was on the plane's left side and moved the switch to the right side in the same place. It will have a 4 stroke soon and this will get the switch away from the goo with an inverted mounting. This is a great looking Cub! [8D]

We got mild ice storm last night and a little snow today. Tomorrow sounds like an ideal maiden flight scenario. 5 to 10 mph winds right down the runway. The only snag is, we've got this frozen precipitation on the ground. Normally this isn't a problem but, there isn't enough of it! It's kind of lumpy here in the back yard. Oh yeah, the high temp tomorrow is only going to 28* F. It's not supposed to be like this in west Tennessee...[:'(]

HOOTER and I had a ball Christmas 2004 when we got 4" of solid ice. That was a perfect runway!!!

I'll keep ya' posted...

Luxury Yacht (AKA: the Dinghy)

PS: Great call on the different sized bolts. Thank you. I would've missed it.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Arman Cando
My Feedback: (1)

Could anyone comment about a .61 engine being used on this plane? Do you think the plane would be able to handle it properly?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:05 PM
wingride47
My Feedback: (2)

When I got my cub the red line was on the muffler and the blue on the needle valve. On my P51PTS they are just the opposite. on my avistar and tower trainer the vent line is the tube or pipe on the top I am assuming this is true of all rc aircraft with glow plug engines. Are everybody's fuel tubes like mine? I got the cowel in today (2-22-06) a guy from two streets over brought it to me they(ups) had delivered to the wrong house. I looked at the new cowel and it has no engine carb or muffler holes. I guess ill have to cut them out some how this ought to be interesting like the man In the earlier post said they got me again. You know the pitts of it is you buy a plane based on their advertising and it turns out you still have to go to through hoops to get it flying if the ad say's plug and play it should be plug and play if it is not then don't advertise it as such. I have one that I have to fiddle with the servos cut a new cowel and that is not plug and play I payed two hundred dollars more so I wouldn't have to do that kind of stuff and hear I am having to do it. It is not right but I know in the end there is nothing can be done about it. Still Just once I would like to hear a company say oh man I'm sorry let me sweeten the deal buy doing this or that but we know that will never happen. Oh well, sorry for venting have good days and good flights. Patrick
Old 02-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Uh-Oh!

Patrick, I feel for you. That's why I had them re-ship, twice, instead of just sending a tail set that I would have to "work on".

The really odd part is, after about 2 weekends of flying the snot out of the Cub, mine will get a FA72 mounted inverted and I've already got the new (uncut) cowl. If you can hold out for a couple of weeks we'll work something out on my pre-cut one. Mine also has the red line going to the exhaust but, the carb line looks green but, the light is bad in my storage room, it may be blue. I haven't pulled the cowl off yet.

Hopefully the following will make you feel a little better and take a little of the sting out of it[8D]... As far as paying $200 more for it, remember, you also got a $90 engine, five overpriced $27 servos, a $15 battery, a $7 switch totalling $247! So, we're saving that money and someone else got to put the bulk of it together for us for free!

UPS, sheesh... , don't get me started....[:'(]

The weather here this weekend is looking great! I'll be going to the field early. Temps in the 60's and partly cloudy. NO ICE! YeeHaw! There will be a maiden or two for me...

Arman, on the .61 and the plane "handling it", I think so, provided the pilot can handle it. By that I mean it's a Cub, it is not a full throttle airplane. If you can keep from running it wide open, I think the airframe will take it just fine with a .61. Also if it's a true flying Cub, you'll need to use the rudder and fly it from the tail. A lot of Cub models have died loud and noisy deaths from not using the rudder. I'll let you know saturday evening.

Stay tuned...

Luxury Yacht (AKA: one of those pesky,troublemaking Daves)

Old 02-23-2006, 09:36 PM
mwallin85

anyone know what size prop nut is right for the motor?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Uh-Oh!

1/4" by 28. I like the Harry Higley style. ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL745&P=0 ) Great Planes also has them ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK241&P=0 ) and they're a wee bit cheaper.

Luxury Yacht (AKA: the aviator formerly known as Dave)
Old 02-24-2006, 12:11 PM
pope61

Just wondering guys , can you get the cowl off with out first removing the needle valve?
I just got mine and looks good,but the cowl looks like a pain in the butt.
Thanks

Old 02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
HOOTER

Luxury Yacht (AKA: the aviator formerly known as Dave)

Hmmmmmmmm........???????????
Old 02-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Uh-Oh!

I still haven't popped my cowl off yet but, the engine has limiters on the needles to prevent newbies from totally getting them out of whack so, I would think that the cowl will come off with the high speed needle in place as you can't take the needle out.

Are you gonna' be out Sunday afternoon Jimmy (HOOTER)???? You wanna' fly a Cub???? You remember how to use a rudder????

Yes Jimmy, Luxury Yacht is my new name on this thread. All of the letters are pronounced silently, so don't worry about it....

POP QUIZ! What comedy troupe came up with the Luxury Yacht name?? The other, other, other, other Dave probably knows. The winner gets a jab with a point-ed stick. [X(]

Luxury Yacht (AKA: the Dave-year Blimp)[sm=lol.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.