Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM
cavandish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

switch did feel v solid
6 volt battery pack was full to the brim
trouble with a slide switch is that you can set it 'half way' I will use tumblers from now on.
keen to get another rev, but not keen to pay over a $100 for shipping.
Yes only a RAF, and the airframe is the cheapest bit ! luckily the crank was not bent & servos not damaged
Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Wingwrecker

It'll buff right out..
Old 06-22-2008, 05:59 PM
rcfan450

CAV, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. 2.4?

Other than that guys, we've done way too much talking on this forum and not enough VIDEOS!!

So here's my video of some fly-bys and landings with the good ol Revolver. Done just yesterday.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FAKqwol8WU]VIDEO!!! - FINALLY[/link]
Old 06-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: rcfan450

Other than that guys, we've done way too much talking on this forum and not enough VIDEOS!!

I agree!

Three beautiful landings,btw.. Nice job. I'm trying spoilers for sure now.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:36 PM
rcfan450

Well thank you very much. Spoilers are definitely the way to go on this plane. They force it down (shorter approach if needed) and keep it from bouncing down the runway pretty good.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Wingwrecker

Well thank you very much. Spoilers are definitely the way to go on this plane. They force it down (shorter approach if needed) and keep it from bouncing down the runway pretty good.
At what point in your approach are you engaging them?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:03 PM
cavandish

CAV, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. 2.4?

So here's my video of some fly-bys and landings with the good ol Revolver. Done just yesterday.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FAKqwol8WU]VIDEO!!! - FINALLY[/link]

yes 2.4
Old 06-22-2008, 07:05 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Oh, way sorry about your loss Cav, That really sucks. I don't mind crashing a plane when it is completely my faut ie, dumb thumbing into the ground. But I HATE mechanical failures (ones that I don't have complete control over). I lost a plane last year due to the linkage coming off the elevator during takeoff, one due to flutter, and my beloved Ultimate cause the top wing poped off during flight. I guess that is what R/C is all about.
You have to pay over $100 for shipping to New Zealand? Oh, that is really steep!
I will have to say, though, You are the leader in really totaling out a Revolver. I don't think I have seen one smashed up quite so bad like in your pictures.
If I can ever get the pictures back from the guy who shot them of my Ultimate I will post them for you all. I am still not quite over that loss. It was a kit plane and you can see a picture of it before it's demise on my profile.
I shoved my C/G back about a quarter of an inch before my flight today and it did make a big difference. Problem was though the wind was blowing 20 mph all day long and I only took her up for one flight. Easy landing though considering the high winds.
Jeff
Old 06-22-2008, 07:35 PM
rcfan450

Wingwrecker: Spoilers. I engage them on the way towards my turn-a-round point before coming in for the landing. Because they're mixed with the throttle, they really aren't truelly engaged until I make the final turn to come in though (when I let off completely on the throttle). Love'em!

CAV
Are you sure it was the switch which caused your problem? I've heard of several people with the new 2.4 stuff experiencing "lock out". Don't know what causes it, I just know that it is possible to every now and then have the issue of no communication period - i.e., lock out. A buddy of mine went to a "Fly-In" a few weeks ago. He said that 3 nice expensive planes died in one day due to Lock Out. All 2.4 systems.

Either way, your Revolver is dead, for which I am very sorry. I feel your pain - you may have seen my dead one way back in this forum somewhere. If I had to pay 100 bucks for shipping to get a new one, I probably wouldn't have another today.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:04 PM
cavandish

I've done the 'lock out' thing a couple of times
spectrum recievers reset when they hit 3.5 volts, so if your battery is down to say 4v & you load a couple of servos up- say goodnight to any control for 2-5 agonising seconds, I did it with the rev & a quarter scale zlin 50L (both survived that time) but there is no excuse for low battery's, but just to be sure, I went to 6volt from then on. (this time, the rev flew around on its own for a minute or so and had over 6v left in the rx cells)
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 AM
freeair

ORIGINAL: cavandish

switch did feel v solid
6 volt battery pack was full to the brim
trouble with a slide switch is that you can set it 'half way' I will use tumblers from now on.
keen to get another rev, but not keen to pay over a $100 for shipping.
Yes only a RAF, and the airframe is the cheapest bit ! luckily the crank was not bent & servos not damaged
CAV, where did you buy this Revolver ? i am sure you can get a much lower freight price than $100.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 AM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Cav got it off me earlier this year... I bought two ( one as a back up ) at the start of the year from Tower. It worked out cheaper, per plane, to buy two together becuase of the $97 US shipping charge. I see now we ( Cav and I ) could get one plane including shipping ex Tower for $227.79 US

Where'd you get yours? In OZ? How much?

Cheers, Paul
Old 06-23-2008, 01:32 AM
freeair

Paul, i bought mine from a wholesaler in aust, they sell for around $280 au at other stores. thats a good price from tower hobbies you got. you better hurry up and get CAV another Rev.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:45 PM
lippucci

Nice Video. What engine & type is used? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
rcfan450

Thanks, now it's your turn.

Saito 82, 13x8 prop, 30% heli

Am going to try a 11x10 to try for more speed soon (maybe this week). Right now it's 116 on level flight. ~140 in dives. See my other videos, there's a couple more in there on the Revolver.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 PM
lippucci

Saito .82? Yikes! No wonder it got out if front fast. Have an OS .70 to be installed this week. Specks say OK. May not go verticle like yours but trying to use what I have. Took it out of a Rambler after 100 flights. Too much hanger rash..like saying goodby to an old cat. 12x7 was used. Any suggestions? Norm
Old 06-23-2008, 03:15 PM
rcfan450

It's sad when most of your damage comes from the hanger, that's how a couple of mine are too.

Suggestions you ask... I like mine the way it is and I really haven't done much to it, but here's the small list.

- 10oz gas tank (I just remembered I never did check the CG after taking out the monster one that was in there, flies fine though, oh well)
- Dubro Gear, stockers are weak. Mine cracked on the grass runway so rather than wait for them to break I just took them off.
- Soldered the elevator push rods together to make sure I never have any slippage
- Used Hinge tape on all hinges, wished I would have just done white monokote instead but the tape just might save me if a hinge dies some day, doubt it though at those speeds.
- Mixed in spoilers and flaps, spoilers work pretty good. I may practice with the flaps a little more now.

I guess that's it. I really haven't done much and I've flown her quite a bit - maybe 30-40 times. I've snap rolled it at WOT on almost every flight too - that says a lot about this air frame. All the guys keep asking me if I'm trying to rip a wing off or test my spar strength, my answer is YES, but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:34 PM
lippucci

Thanks for the reply & tips. Curious..why are the spoilers used? Your idea or specs? Got a close up? Are the flaps an overkill or do you have extra servos? Flapperons?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:38 PM
rcfan450

Spiolers force the plane down quicker and rotate the plane towards the tail slightly. They help with keeping it from bouncing on landings.

Both my spoilers and flaps are mixed with the throttle - no extra flaps or servos. I go about a 1/2" with both options.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 PM
lippucci

Interesting! Will give both a look. Where is Heber, Ut.?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
rcfan450

About 15 miles south of Park City in a nice little valley - sorrounded by mountains....and powerlines (as can be seen in the video)
Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
corsaircrazy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lippucci, check out post #138, and 149. Ed Moorman explains the spoiler thing. Believe me, it works! I have instructions for a JR 9303 setup if you want to PM me.

CC
Old 06-23-2008, 04:29 PM
lippucci

Crazy..thanks for the help. Interesting. Gonna give it a try with my new Rev. set up. As I recall, some 100 posts or so ago, someone suggested moving the CG back slightly & landings were like grease. Anyone try it? Still, gonna give the spoiler thing a try. Thanks all.

Rcfan450. Just curious. Did my field work at Snow college in Ephrim summer of 57. Yeah, I am older than dust, but 20/20 vision without glasses at 76 still keeps me flying. Norm
Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 PM
ckeene9
My Feedback: (-1)

Yes this plane is definently conservative on the CG. I moved it back some and it was even better flying, gonna move it back some more on my next flight.

And yes it does help on landings but I still use spoilerons.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 PM
lippucci

Thanks for the reply & help. Will try both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.