Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

I agree that the single aileron servo works fine..........I just wanted to try it different this time...........also in the crash I mentioned..........one of the torque rods tore out the trailing edge of the wing when it took out the aileron so I think the dual servo setup will be sturdier........we'll see.

I will try out the dual aileron setup as soon as the winds calm down a bit. I flew with the dual setup briefly a couple of weeks ago in very windy conditions without any problems.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:09 PM
DGeorge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, first post here at RCU.

I recently decided to get back into RC flying after not havingflown an RC plane in over 10 years.Iwent aheadand ordered an Escapade last night to brush the dust off the thumbs(hopefullyit's docile enoughfor meon low rates, or I may regret my decision). I have gone thgrough this entire thread and picked up a lot of great information along the way from you guys. I dug up an old OS .40 FX and FS .52 Surpass out of the attic, and tore them down to clean things up. Sure enough they both run absolutely great. Some things Inoticedwere thatthe FX producesmuchlessthrust at idle and a lot less vibration (especially at lower RPM). They both run smooth and have great throttle response. I'm not sure which one would give the Escapade more pep in it's step, nor am I sure thats what I need seeing as I'm just getting back into the hobby.

So, with the experience many of you have with this (and other) planes, and all things considered, which engine would you go with? As a side note, I think my Escapade will be a bit on the heavy side with dual aileron servos (standard Futabas), a big old Futaba 7ch. Rx, and a new 5-Cell NiMh Rx battery pack.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:23 PM
oldtyme

DGeorge,

After re-reading my posts.....I have decided to go with the single servo aileron setup. My last (deceased) Escapade was very responsive with that setup and I have not deleted the setup in my radio.......a Futaba 10C.....so everything should be really close. I ran a OS46FX on mine and it was great!!! I have a 72mhz receiver and a Hobbico 750mah 4.8 volt battery and it balanced out just right with additional weight. With the single servo setup, the receiver and battery need to be on top of the tray so as not to interfere with the torque rods. Save yourself some weight and go with a smaller battery like I am using. Back when I started flying we used to get 600mah 4.8v ni-cads with our radios and got in quite a few flights. I know everyone thinks they need 2000mah batteries these days............but they simply do not!

You will enjoy this plane...........just dial in some expo on the ailerons because it is an extremely sensitive airplane.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Hypter
My Feedback: (2)

DGeorge,

I recently got back in to the hobby as well after six years. I bought this plane last week and flew it for the first time today. I have an OS 46AX on mine. I wasn't sure if this would be the right plane to get back in with but after flying it a few times today I realized it was, I'm extremely happy I bought it. Oldtyme is right, it's sensitive but you'll love it.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:08 PM
DGeorge

Andy,

Thank you for the response. I actually have two of those NiCd Futaba packs that came with my radios. To keep costs down I want to use my old radio (Futaba Skysport 6A). I don't think is has expo. settings, but I think there is a dial under the battery cover toset the 2 rate levels. Should I start outwitha low setting that is lowerthan the normal "low" rates on the ailerons?As for the battery pack, I thought I'd go with the 6V for some more servo torque/speed, and I also don't trust my 15 year old Futaba 500 and 600mAhNiCd packs like I used to when they were fresh. I also figured I'd switch to a higher capacity NiMh since they are cheap and I already have a charger for them. It happens to weigh about 1.1oz more than the 4.8v Futaba packs, and the extra servo adds about 1.3oz. I have a mini servo that I could use for the throttle that would save me close to an ounce as well.

So what do you think about engine choice, FX .40 with something like an 11x5 or my FS .52 with a 12x6?

Wesley,

That's great to hear! I sure am looking forward to getting it all together and taking her out for the first time. The realization that mine is probably going to turn out very heavy is starting to bother me a bit. I saved a lot of money by deciding to use a lot of what I have already (all 12-15 year old electronics), but it may cost me when I panic after seeing that I need to land her at 1/4 throttle or more. The battery pack I ordered weighs in at 4.4 ounces, what packs do you guys run?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Hypter

DGeorge,

I'm using the run of the mill Futaba NR-4QB RX battery that came with my radio system. I have an old 1450mAh NiMh I bought for a Funtana 90 years ago but I elected not to use it since it was still in the pack and never charged. I just have the basic setup in mine. 4ch radio with a single aileron servo.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:44 PM
DGeorge

I guess I'll play it by year and see how she balances withthe different options. If it's reallytail heavy I may switch to a single aileron servo and my old 4.8v NR-4J. It's the flat 600mAh pack (though according to my BC112 peak charger, it only accepts about 390mAh of charge). It's been through quite a few cycles and has probably been overcharged/left chraged one too many times back before I was NiCd savvy and had a good peak charger/conditioner. I may just take the brand new Hydrimax 5-cell pack, to my LHS and see if they will trade straight accross for a 4-cell. An ounce doesn't sound like much but I'm sure it makes a difference.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:04 PM
oldtyme

DGeorge,

I don't use NiCads anymore. The pack I am using in the Escapade is the Hobbico NiMh 750mah 4.8V pack. It is very small and only costs around $14.00. I really don't think you need the added torque for this plane that you are looking for with a 6V pack and the smaller battery will give you a lighter weight. I would definitely use the lower control settings except for the rudder. I found that I needed high rates for the rudder to get adequate steering and for good ground handling. Oh.......one other thing.....you asked about the 40FX and I think that will be excellent for this bird and don't worry about being tail heavy...........to improve landing because I was having to hold more up elevator on flair than I liked, I had to add about 1/2 to 3/4 oz of tail weight to make it better.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I finally got that Escapade CG right. I originally added almost 10 ounces on the nose to make the CG on the manual. The plane was landing very fast. My instructor told me it’s because it’s nose heavy. So I started to take off one strip (1.5 ounce) at a time and fly. And every I took one off, I felt the landing much better. I finally got rid of all the 6 strips which was a total of 9 ounces. Now I prefer the way the plane flies and lands.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would like to replace the tail wheel of my Escapade. I went on Tower Hobbies and all tail wheels seem to be for specific airplanes.

Does anyone know a good solid tail wheel on Tower Hobbies that can work on the Escapade?

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Hypter

The CG on mine turned out to be about an 1/8 inch behind what was recommended by the book, it flies great with it where it's at but there isn't a lot of room to move equipment around in the plane to help balance it out without using weights. That's probably the only thing I have against this plane is the lack of room to place the electronics.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Hypter

harryangus,

I used the stock, I really don't like it too well. I've used Sullivan tail wheels on my other planes in the past and they're excellent.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFV47&P=ML
Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Hypter

The CG on mine turned out to be about an 1/8 inch behind what was recommended by the book, it flies great with it where it's at but there isn't a lot of room to move equipment around in the plane to help balance it out without using weights. That's probably the only thing I have against this plane is the lack of room to place the electronics.
I had the same issue with radio placement. I ended up stuffing the Rx behind the wing. The cooling slots at the bottom of the fuse behind the wing can be cut off to create an access hatch for the Rx. This is especially necessary if using the single aileron servo setup with the torque rods in the way.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 AM
jbrowne

ORIGINAL: Hypter

See a pic of my sullivan here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#9090081

Post #: 586

Old 06-06-2011, 10:46 AM
hsukaria

BTW, if you install the Sullivan tailwheel, use the narrower and stiffer spring if you plan on flying off a grass field. I started with the bigger and softer spring and I couldn't taxi properly on grass.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:35 AM
DeferredDefect

I'm using the stock tailwheel and it has not given me to many troubles. I have found, though, that it has little to no effect when turning the aircraft. It is far to flexible and remains in the "straight ahead" position when making a turn. Regardless, the ground handling is nice, but I'm only flying off grass, so I can't comment on a paved surface. 
I may replace it with a tailskid in the future.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:11 PM
oldtyme

Has anyone had trouble getting the control throws set for the ailerons. I can't remember if this was a problem on my first one but using the single servo setup I get the recommended 1/4" low rate but all I can get for high rates is 3/8". I guess I'll just fly it like that and see how it goes.......anyone else have this occurance??

Thanks,
Andy
Old 06-07-2011, 04:43 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

Has anyone had trouble getting the control throws set for the ailerons. I can't remember if this was a problem on my first one but using the single servo setup I get the recommended 1/4'' low rate but all I can get for high rates is 3/8''. I guess I'll just fly it like that and see how it goes.......anyone else have this occurance??

Thanks,
Andy
I have a programmable radio, so that is not an issue, just reduce the range of travel adjustment.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:49 PM
oldtyme

I have a programmable radio too........a Futaba10C............so why would reducing the amount of travel increase the control throw?????
Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 PM
hsukaria

Maybe I am not understanding your statement. But I set the range with the low/high rate switch on high rates, and then I go to the low range adjustment and reduce the percentage of the low rate from the high rate (I have a Futaba 9C).
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 PM
oldtyme

I do the same thing. I have 10 planes in flying order so I very experienced at setting throws. I think I can fix the problem by screwing the bearings down on the torque rod arms that will give more travel at the arms because the control point will be closer to the control surface hence smaller movements will make larger differences.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 AM
hsukaria

Speaking of aileron control rods, mine came loose inside the wing after some time. I had to convert to dual aileron control even though I preferred the single aileron servo method.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 AM
TimBle

The CG of this aircraft has been covered over and over again in this thread. The recommended 63mm is far too nose heavy and is very conservative. When I had mine I was flying it at 70mm and it was still nose heavy.

BEaring in mind, the Escapade's target market is someone just off a trainer and looking for a first low wing airplane I'd say   first establish where it balance and then measure the distance that is from the recommended CG. IF the balance point is more than 15% further aft then ask a more experienced pilot at your club to maiden it. If its with 15% of the recommended CG point then you should be fine to handle it yourself.

Low rates on the elevator should give you about 4mm travel on the feathers  or about 33% of servo travel with a 1:1 gearing on the servo horn to control arm.

Hopefuly I have not confused the issue further
Old 06-08-2011, 06:12 PM
DGeorge

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Speaking of aileron control rods, mine came loose inside the wing after some time. I had to convert to dual aileron control even though I preferred the single aileron servo method.
UPS dropped mine off today. The control rod in my right wing was loose right out of the box. It popsinand out of place,and the aileron itself was poorly hinged, way off center, so much that there is a lot of pressure between the end of the aileron and the wing. Should I call Tower or GP? I think I read somewhere in this thread that somebody was sent a wing half without having to even ship back the original defect.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: DGeorge

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

UPS dropped mine off today. The control rod in my right wing was loose right out of the box. It pops in and out of place, and the aileron itself was poorly hinged, way off center, so much that there is a lot of pressure between the end of the aileron and the wing. Should I call Tower or GP? I think I read somewhere in this thread that somebody was sent a wing half without having to even ship back the original defect.
Whomever you call, do it quick...we are running out of flying season. That's a bummer about the wing though. I can't believe it passed the tight Great Planes QC .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.