Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Saito .82 Quits when idle

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Saito .82 Quits when idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:41 AM
foosball_movie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito .82 Quits when idle

Hi. I have a Saito .82 engine that quits whenever I quickly move the throttle from full to idle. If I slowly move the throttle from full to idle, it doesn't quit. I've played around with the high and low end needles but haven't had any luck.

Any suggestions? Is this a low end issue?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Saito .82 Quits when idle

Sounds like a low-end issue. Have you tried the pinch test?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

From what I have read about Saitos, they come with a VERY rich low end setting. People talk of over one full turn leaning out the needle. Supposedly it really helps on fuel consumption, too. There are a lot of Saito posts in the glow engines forum; it's nice to go through them and see what others are doing and saying.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They do come out of the box real fat!!! They are set for break in and you have to run them for a tank or two before you even try to turn the needles or your wasting your time. After they are broken in on the ground to the point you can fly with them they really start to come alive and you can fine tune.
Trick time: at idle if you remove the glow driver and the engine drops in RPM put the driver back on and lean the low end a little, keep doing this until there is no RPM drop and your low end is set. Someone here posted this trick last year and I gave it a try, it works great, even with two strokes but I like to keep the two strokes low end just a little tad fat.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:50 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Saito .82 had idle problems at first too. I found that the low speed needle was set extremely rich. I'm was used to them being a little rich out of the box on other engines but this Saito was really rich. I just kept leaning it a tiny bit at a time until it was right.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:31 AM
alfredbmor

You also will hear from other people that this particular engine consume a lot more fuel than others in the same range of displacement, the real fact as others have pointed is the lack of a proper low idle tuning. I also have this engine and has been said it takes a while to breake in, when finally is broken in then you can play with the low neddle valve. I like the Gray Beard method which I will try the next time that I will fly my funtana .40
Great engine
Old 08-01-2009, 11:08 PM
obriendigital
My Feedback: (13)

How many turns out from the stock setting for the low end are you running? Stock setting is flush with the plastic control arm correct? I have mine about 2.5-3 full turns in and still runs bad on the low end, but transitions to high end real well. I have had about a gallon and a half through it, but the low end is still 2500 rpm or more, anything less and it does. I am running 15% fuel and an OS F plug. Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:08 AM
ro347

A trick i read on here which has helped me alot when setting the low end where it needs to be on Saitos: Lean the low end needle 1/4 turn and start it....Kill engine and lean another 1/4 turn....repeat - leaning 1/4 turn at a time until it wont start. Once youve reach the point where the engine wont start.... richen the low end 1/2-3/4 turn. This should put you very close to where you need to be. Tweak low a little...Set the high, then finalize low.

I have yet to have a 4 stroke die on me in the air. ( Maybe I shouldnt have said that!) ..but really...Im very anal about my tuning as I fly over a pond; and this method has worked great for me. My final test before I approve tuning for flight.... I let idle for 60 seconds then blast it to full throttle. If no issue with transition...Im good to go.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:11 AM
ro347

If you are trying to go lower on idle and wont run steady...you will also need to adjust your low needle - prob need to lean it out.
ORIGINAL: obriendigital

How many turns out from the stock setting for the low end are you running? Stock setting is flush with the plastic control arm correct? I have mine about 2.5-3 full turns in and still runs bad on the low end, but transitions to high end real well. I have had about a gallon and a half through it, but the low end is still 2500 rpm or more, anything less and it does. I am running 15% fuel and an OS F plug. Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:37 AM
The Ghost

As has been said, Satios are really rich on the low end from the factory. To set the mixtures correctly you will need a Tacho and go [link=http://saito-engines.info/throttle_setup.html]HERE[/link] to get all the good info on setup.

Cheers
Old 08-16-2009, 12:05 PM
obriendigital

I had an inline sullivan "crap trap" trap on my line from the tank to the motor and thought that was causing my low end to die after about 20 second at idle.

Now with a straight tube from the tank to the engine I am having even more! My engine will die immediately when I pull the glow driver off it is less than half throttle stick. It will run with the driver on however at low end. So, I have taken the driver off and set the high end, about 9100 rpm. Then back down to the low end and it dies every time about 5000-6000rpm. I have set the low end needle back to factory settings, nearly flush with the throttle arm, then moved out a quarter turn at a time. I have gotten to at least 4-5 full turns out and no luck. I pulled the glow plug and it seems ok, I am running an OS "F" plug. This motor has about 2 gallons of fuel through it. Any ideas?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:34 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have set the low end needle back to factory settings, nearly flush with the throttle arm, then moved out a quarter turn at a time.
A 1/4 turn in or out is way too much! You'll almost never get it adjusting that much each time.

1/8 turn is a bit much, I'd go less.. like the screwdriver's slot blade width.

Some people do not realize just how sensitive these adjustments are, so adjust in much smaller increments.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

I have set the low end needle back to factory settings, nearly flush with the throttle arm, then moved out a quarter turn at a time.
A 1/4 turn in or out is way too much! You'll almost never get it adjusting that much each time.

1/8 turn is a bit much, I'd go less.. like the screwdriver's slot blade width.

Some people do not realize just how sensitive these adjustments are, so adjust in much smaller increments.
I agree. Turning it that much at one time will have you chasing the correct setting forever.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:10 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I read what you are writing correctly , "I have set the low end needle back to factory settings, nearly flush with the throttle arm, then moved out a quarter turn at a time. I have gotten to at least 4-5 full turns out and no luck."

you are making your idle jet richer, you need to turn it in to make it leaner. RO347 probably said it best regarding how to quickly get the idle jet to close to correct. Re-read his post to get the whole thing..[8D]

"leaning 1/4 turn at a time until it wont start. Once youve reach the point where the engine wont start.... richen the low end 1/2-3/4 turn. This should put you very close to where you need to be. Tweak low a little...Set the high, then finalize low."
Old 08-16-2009, 11:10 PM
dignlivn

You have gotten some great advice. Can you you
put it back to stock settings ? Low and high end.

If so, try it again with their advice. I lean my low
a couple a clicks at a time. Iwant to see some smoke
also

jmo,

Bob
Old 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: dignlivn
I lean my low a couple a clicks at a time. Bob

Clicks? What engine do you have?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:36 AM
timcat26

I'd assume that this is a figurative and not a literal phrase, although I refer to every needle movement as a "click" as well. The point here is that Saitos don't need 1/4 or even 1/8 revolution needle movements during tuning, just one "click" can do enough.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 AM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: timcat26

My Bad,

I know the low end has no clicks. lets say 1/16 of an inch
at a time or less.

Bob

I'd assume that this is a figurative and not a literal phrase, although I refer to every needle movement as a ''click'' as well. The point here is that Saitos don't need 1/4 or even 1/8 revolution needle movements during tuning, just one ''click'' can do enough.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:14 PM
obriendigital

Thanks for all of the advice, i tried the move the needle until it won't start...still no luck.

Well, tried a brand new plug, no luck at all. Set it back to the factory low end and it will start, but when i pull the glow it dies. So, if i rev it up to full throttle set the high end with the tach and am getting about 9,000RPM, and pull the plug it runs, but then back the throttle off and it dies about 7,000RPM every time. Tried leaning the low end a bit again, no luck. I am really out of ideas now...
Old 08-18-2009, 08:28 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are turning the screw to the right to lean it?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 PM
obriendigital

ORIGINAL: bingo field

You are turning the screw to the right to lean it?
Thanks. Yes, i am leaning it out by turning to the right. I also started from the factory setting of nearly flush to the control arm.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
dignlivn

Have you tried closing the high speed and opening
2 1/2 turns and go from there ?

Bob
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
obriendigital

I haven't tried that yet, but the high end seems great, and I have set the high speed needle with my tach. It's when I am close to half throttle which gets to be around 6500-7000RPM when it dies...

I will try your suggestion tomorrow, thanks!