Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:06 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

He is playing business hardball with politics. I know the method he is using from his business background, and can tell he has zero political savvy. Seeing news reports that China may start backing down mainly because they have nothing left to barter with on imports. They pretty much tariffed everything imported from the US already, which is a clear indicator on how imbalanced the trades are between the US and China. Trump hit them with another $200 billion in tariffs, and the best that China could do is $60 billion on US goods. Soybean imports from the US will hurt China financially since they import quite a lot of it. Trumps end goal is to have balance in trade between the US and China, which at the moment is hugely lopsided in favor of china.

Will it work? only time will tell, but there are some good indicators that it is starting to.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:22 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

The guy that ever came up with the idea that government could be run like a business should have been shot, hanged, and then burned at the stake. Government and business are two totally different animals with nothing in common in goals, purpose, or how success should be measured.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:14 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The guy that ever came up with the idea that government could be run like a business should have been shot, hanged, and then burned at the stake. Government and business are two totally different animals with nothing in common in goals, purpose, or how success should be measured.
WOW! Please.............. don't hesitate to speak your mind!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well part is frustration is local politics. We got a sleazy mortgage lender doing his darnest to buy the governor's office. All the while he is buying up small rural state chartered banks. I think his only motivation is to line his own pockets by altering state bank regulations and to let the depositors pickup the bill. He hasn't got any plans to do anything or an answer for any problems he just shouts worthless political rhetoric and buzz words. Heck he doesn't even vote. To me he looks like a used car salesman and I don't trust him that far. He reminds me of the guy Kurt Russell played in the movie Used Cars and his political campaign.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-18-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Renegade
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking again (I know that's dangerous!) with a third round of sanctions agaist China I wonder what affect it is having on the hobby? It's got to be driving the ARF/RTF price through the roof I would think. Any one here see an indication hobby supplies taking a jump recently?
Just as I was deleting a mass of e-mails, there was one from tower Hobby:

On July 7, 2018 the Office of United States Trade Representatives began imposing additional tariff charges, ranging from 10-25%, on a comprehensive list of products being imported from China. Certain products have been affected by this since that date, and we have been absorbing the impact of these increased tariffs in an effort to mitigate impact our valued customers.

So, yes prices are going up.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like we'll be paying 15% to 35% more depending on margins.

Hey Donny did I mention I'm a curmudgeon in training?
Old 09-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember one thing guys, I hat the price increases as much as anyone but in defense the tariffs help keep all of the modelers who still work here in the USA competitive with some of the other goods that are taking American jobs and replacing them with cheap Chinese labor and their devalued currency. It's kind of a 2 way street and both ways go uphill. I guess modeling is going to cost more. Maybe I'll have to dig out my old Kraft 6 channel that I paid $420.00 for in 1973 and get it going again.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

As most Americans who subscribe to this thread actually build their own models rather than buy ARTFs, I feel that the effect of these tariff rises on regular subscribers will be minimal. After all doesn't most balsa wood come from South America?

On a different note, I bought an Enya 35 off eBay. It turned up yesterday morning. It looks brand new and unrun in its original red and yellow box with two cylinder heads. I've never regarded myself as an engine collector but I'm reluctant to use this one!
Old 09-20-2018, 05:33 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
As most Americans who subscribe to this thread actually build their own models rather than buy ARTFs, I feel that the effect of these tariff rises on regular subscribers will be minimal. After all doesn't most balsa wood come from South America?

On a different note, I bought an Enya 35 off eBay. It turned up yesterday morning. It looks brand new and unrun in its original red and yellow box with two cylinder heads. I've never regarded myself as an engine collector but I'm reluctant to use this one!
You make a good point Telemaster! Another affect of these tariffs will the the possible return of manufacturing, but I do not believe many people can predict the actual outcome of all the manipulations. My opinion for the long term affects is the results will push us toward a one world government with no tariffs. the changes will be slow and not easily detectable but inevitable. I see forces moving on this planet that are of great concern to all forms of government, the quest for power is driving several changes, we need but to look.

A twin cylinder Enya? ........ Give us a picture or two of the engine and box it seems interesting.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:36 AM
donnyman

Sounds like we'll be paying 15% to 35% more depending on margins.

Hey Donny did I mention I'm a curmudgeon in training?
Sure! ............ isn't that the norm for this thread?
Old 09-20-2018, 05:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
Sure! ............ isn't that the norm for this thread?
Come to think of it....YES!
Old 09-20-2018, 06:12 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

No Donny, an engine with two cylinder heads not a twin cylinder engine!

The low compression head gives a compression ratio of 7.5:1, the high compression head, one of 9:1.

I believe that the grease on the outside of the engine may have come from the factory or the previous owner's dirty hands! I really don't think it's ever been run. According to the seller it was once mounted in a model but never started. I really don't know what I am going to do with it! I know that these engines were produced in their thousands so it will never be valuable but I find myself strangely reluctant to start it.

I bought an Enya 29 at about the same time and I'm thinking of fitting it to the Baron. I could fly it at next year's Coupe Des Barons. I'll be way down in power compared to the hot shots running OS 35 AXs but you can get a special prize for a Baron built exactly to the original plan as mine is, fitted with a period engine.

There were only two bids for the 35 and I was the only bidder in the case of the 29.

Enya 35 on my clean kitchen floor!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-20-2018 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

I love those old Enyas they were my favorite!
Old 09-20-2018, 08:21 AM
donnyman

My thoughts of Enyas was not very good until one was given me on a plane as a replacement for burying mine, my thought was to remove it but laziness prevailed and I flew it as is. I was pleasantly surprised at the performance but went on to replace it with a Rossi 40. Only to put it back on because I lost performance, been using Enyas ever since. but never with two heads.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:18 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have just sold a Super Tigre 25cc engine for 40€. (£36 or $47 US.) I gave away a Merco 35 with Quiet Silencer and I "sold" a K&B 65 and a Meteor 61 for two bottles of Beaujolais Villages. Let's just enjoy the hobby while we are still alive and fairly fit. After us, no-one will be interested.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:20 PM
FlyerInOKC

Just remember the Beaujolais Villages is pilot fuel not glow engine fuel!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have adequate stocks of both but in my experience glow fuel lasts longer than Beaujolais!
Old 09-25-2018, 03:42 AM
donnyman

My internet connections have been messing up a lot lately, I think we have it fixed for now.

I managed some shop time and made some progress on my mustang the only problem is my working knowledge of Flite-metal and forming thin aluminum is limited. I have learned to use a light hand in both cases and had to anneal the thin alum. to get the results I wanted.
It seems the system is very slow to upload pictures it gets to 10% and hangs up. the upload page is hanging up. ................................... maybe later.

Last edited by donnyman; 09-25-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I consider myself to be a traditional modeller. I will be building a Big Guff and a "Secret Weapon" Baron for next year's Coupe Des Barons over the northern hemisphere winter but my head has been turned by this: https://www.motionrc.eu/products/fli...SABEgL2r_D_BwE

This is not usually my sort of thing, electric powered and foamy but just think of the time you'd have to spend if you wanted to build one from balsa and ply. Christmas present?
Old 09-26-2018, 05:14 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I consider myself to be a traditional modeller. I will be building a Big Guff and a "Secret Weapon" Baron for next year's Coupe Des Barons over the northern hemisphere winter but my head has been turned by this: https://www.motionrc.eu/products/fli...SABEgL2r_D_BwE

This is not usually my sort of thing, electric powered and foamy but just think of the time you'd have to spend if you wanted to build one from balsa and ply. Christmas present?

I am of the same mind, the arf's have been improving in many ways. I must admit they are impressive and in most cases fly quite well, there are three in my shop but do not see much usage, maybe it's a mental block. building has my attention currently. ..................... No matter this is a hobby and if it pleases you go for it and enjoy!
Old 09-26-2018, 05:44 AM
donnyman

I have been trying to show these pics for several days but something keeps interfering...amateur level metal working.

That loose piece is of thicker metal to be a bit more noticeable when mounted, this is all new to me but it's fun.

here it's in place but unfinished a lot more needs doing before it's permanent.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

You are doing a beautiful job on the Flite Metal Donny! I have been watching closely to prepare myself for a future project using a similar product.

Mike
Old 09-26-2018, 11:58 AM
donnyman

You are doing a beautiful job on the Flite Metal Donny! I have been watching closely to prepare myself for a future project using a similar product.

Mike
why thank you sir! it isn't as pretty as I would like but if I don't stop being pursnickitive it will never get finished, so I have let some uglies remain. It will be a while but the rivet detailing will probably kill me.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:24 PM
FlyerInOKC

I know what you mean I see some of these riveting jobs and start counting rivet heads and it gets scary fast!
Old 09-26-2018, 08:22 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
... so I have let some uglies remain...
Combat damage!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.