Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
At least her father can keep her in airplanes and her instructor in wine!

Yes he could but it's the instructor who could do with a new aircraft!

I failed to take back control quickly enough when instructing another expat Englishman last Thursday. With beginners you reach a stage where they are fairly competent and you give them some time to sort out their own difficulties.Unfortunately we both got disorientated and the model, a Seagull Boomerang trainer crashed into the corner of a builder's yard. I had received two quotes from this builder which I thought were excessively expensive so it was a bit emabarrassing to go round there and ask for the bits back.! Fortunately my beloved Enya 50 survived unscathed.

My trainee, a retired welder, fancies repairing it and has taken all of the bits away.

At €99 a pop, ($115 US or £90 Sterling,) I don't think it's worth it.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:07 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

That busted trainer is the normal repair I have done more times than I can remember. and the cost was no where near what you mentioned, so I assumed you spoke of the cost of a new air frame! I estimate maybe 20 usd, tops in material cost to scratch up a new one. I do not consider my time which would bring the cost well above the expense of a new air frame.

Meanwhile I have put in some shop time and I am making progress with the King Kobra and my mustang but I have been spending a lot of time installing a new water heater and softener for my daughter which we put in her garage to make more space in her home. we have pipes running in all kinds of directions but it's coming together. It is annoying how little things occur that slow ones progress in these matters but persistence pays off.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:25 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I know what you mean Donny, I could fix it but I would prefer to spend my time on other projects like fitting that Laser V twin into the damaged WOT 4 XL, completing Gerard's Baron, planning my Baron for next year's Coupe Des Barons and starting the Big Guff. I have ordered a foam electric thing to take over trainer duties and I also have a non-descript Chinese 40 powered trainer as well. Besides my trainee wants to repair it.

I have always been keen on the Boomerang until I saw the wreckage. A balsa wood fuselage floor with the grain running along the fuselage is a no-no as far as I am concerned but I can see the commercial logic.

With all of these English speakers wanting to learn how to fly, I'm kept quite busy!
Old 08-28-2018, 09:15 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

The video of the 2018 Coupe Des Barons is available. http://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons Scroll down to "Video Coupe 2018." Can't recall whether I've posted a link to it in the past so apologies if I already have.

Boris isn't featured very much but I suppose that he only flew for eight minutes during the entire event whereas the total flying time for the four five-minute rounds would of course amount to twenty minutes.

Roll on next year!
Old 08-31-2018, 07:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I am planning the build of a new Baron for next year's event. This will be Percy as opposed to Boris and it will be finished in inter-war RAF colours. Boris will be re-assigned to training duties and kept in reserve just in case Percy is unavailable on the day!

The new model will be built as a standard Baron but with a stronger fuselage using basswood longerons and a lighter wing with reduced dihedral, three-spar construction and D section leading edge, or at least the upper leading edge sheeted as far back as the main spars. The five-spars plus two turbulators of the standard wing produces a wing which is over-engineered in my view. Picture of both Boris and his standard wing below.

The rules allow you to reduce or increase any dimension of the standard Baron by up to 10%, so I have some aerodynamic questions for you highly knowledgeable gentlemen. The rules state that the Clark Y aerofoil must be used. The wing section on the standard wing is 3cms deep at its thickest point.
  1. If I reduce the thickness by 3mm in order to gain more speed for the pylon race, will it produce a noticeable improvement?
  2. If I increase the thickness of the wing by 3mm in order to gain more lift so that the model flies more slowly for the balsa stick hitting round or the limbo, will that produce a noticeable improvement?
  3. If I cheat and use an E 205 wing section will that produce a noticeable improvement in performance?
  4. If I use an E 205 aerofoil do you think that anyone would notice?
As the engine of choice for the event is the OS 35 AX two-stroke which produces 1.1bhp, I've written to the organisers to suggest that the maximum size of a four-stroke engine permitted in the event be increased from 0.40 to 0.65cu.ins. If they approve my request I'll fit an old Laser 60. If not Percy will be powered by an electric motor with larger batteries this time!
Old 09-01-2018, 12:49 AM
stearman65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Approaching 80!

Born in 1940 in Lancashire UK. First model a balsa solid of a Sabre jet. Then graduated to a Keil Kraft Wizard glider, then various other experiments including a Jetex solid fuel model. First I.C engine powered model, a ready built plastic control liner, complete with ED Bee 1cc motor. Went through various control line models powered by various engines including an ED Racer 2.5cc, a Frog 500 5cc glow engine. Finally gave up around 17 years of age after a free flight model with the ED Bee in it got caught in a thermal & flew away & I discovered girls. A week later after an add in the local paper, someone had found it 20 miles away.
Came back into the hobby around 1966 when I moved house & a neighbours son had been bought a balsa kit & was struggling to build it. That started me off on a 10 year spell including control line, & my first radio model a Keil Kraft Super 60 single channel. The next 20 years I graduated to a full proportional second hand Kraft Golden box set. Then followed by new Kraft & Futaba sets. The around 87 88, I graduated to full sized kit cars with a Marlin Roadster based on a Morris Marina, a three wheeled Morgan replica from a CX500 motor bike. Then after a wife swap I eventually reverted to my first love, sailing & in 95 bought our first sailing cruiser a Mirage 28. Two others followed in quick succession. Then in 2001 we decided to take early retirement, sold up bought a Moody 40 CC sailing yacht in Corsica & spent the next 3 years sailing the Med'.
We were in Portugal when my wife developed a serious illness & had to go back to the UK for an op'. So I sold the boat & we moved back to the UK & I discovered ARTF models & bought a Pilot Cub & an OS120FS. I was also lucky enough to find a Flair Stearman kit which had been discontinued some time ago, & powered it with a Laser120 vtwin 4 stroke.. Then I dipped my toe in the electric model market with a trio of ARTF's. We than move to the wilds of the Yorkshire Dales where model clubs were few & far between, so I went into photography. 11 years later I'm back into models with a 1/5th scale Top Flite Stinson Reliant & a steep learning curve onhow things have progressed.

My Morgan 3 wheeler replica, based on a Honda CX500 motor bike.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:03 AM
donnyman

Mr. stearman65

Welcome you prove that once a modeler always a modeler. you have a interesting life. that car/motorcycle? type of vehicle is what I believe should be required for city dwellers.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:56 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yes it wouldn't be much good for carrying model aeroplanes to the flying field!

Welcome to our little group Mr Stearman.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering Morris today is using a Harley Clone some 3 times the capacity of your 550, I can't imagine the performance was all that breath taking. But then, I know if you go too fast in the UK you quickly run out of island. Always wanted one of the Morris 3 wheelers. But had to settle for a Porsche 911 instead. For 10 years anyway. Sure miss that car.

To your questions, I doubt anyone would notice the Eppler. But why? I really don't think it would do much to change it.
I'd thin the wing for more speed and build light. I doubt your slow speed performance will suffer. I'd drop all those gussets at the TE and diagonals near the center. Might consider dropping the 5 pieces between the main spar and LE and going to a true D spar and sheet the LE. Main and spar pieces could be the same size as the rear spar and re-orient all of them 90 degrees from their present orientation. Then sheer web the main half way out with vertical grain 3/32 inch balsa.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:01 PM
donnyman

Stearman65

I thought of you at our big bird flyin today.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:18 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I'll be happy to loan my garage to you to park the Morgan! I'll even run it periodically just to keep the battery up and the fuel fresh too!
Old 09-01-2018, 08:31 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I stated in 6205 that I intended to build "a lighter wing with reduced dihedral, three-spar construction and D section leading edge, or at least the upper leading edge sheeted as far back as the main spars." Donny has already remarked that the standard Baron wings is over engineered.

In Great Britain there is a trainer known as a Super 60 which was produced by Keil Kraft. This model is as well known there as the Sig Senior in the USA. Stearman 65 refers to it in 6206. This is what mine looked like.

By chance the wing chord of the Super 60 is almost the same as the Baron's so I was going to use Super 60 plan as a basis for the new wing. I am undecided whether or not to use basswood for the spars. The trailing edge is built up from balsa sheet so I won't need the gussets.The Super 60's aerofoil is 10mm thicker than the Baron's so I will take your suggestion and thin the standard Baron wing section for extra speed.

PS. It's the Morgan Motor Company which produces the three wheeler. https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/ Morris Motors have been out of production for decades.

Fascinating website that Morgan site! If only I were half my age and three times richer!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-02-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:27 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Went flying yesterday. Not a cloud in the sky but a fair old breeze blowing. Took my entire trainer fleet with me because I had arranged to meet a chap who has been learning to fly with me for the last few months. I felt that I'd been pusing him too hard so yesterday I went back to basics and we spent the whole session just flying left-hand circuits with my non-descript battered old ARTF trainer fitted with a red Irvine 40 up front.On the third flight I took off and gave him control by holding down the sprung loaded button on my Spektrum DX9. My trainee continued to fly increasingly more accurate left-hand circuits when after about 15-20 minutes there was a vibration from my transmitter and a young lady's voice said, "Warning! System idle!" In other words, he had been controlling the model for the entire flight.This has never happened before so he must be making excellent progress. We'll do right-hand circuits next time!
Old 09-09-2018, 04:11 AM
donnyman

Moderator.............

Why was i interrupted by a advertisement from carf models while making a entry....................................... Can i expect to be hit with ads in the middle of a entry?......all my text was wiped out. Intrusive ads will be reacted to by boycot!

I trust it was just a glitch. THIS ENTIRE PAGE SEEMS TO BE DUPLICATED SHORT OF THIS ENTRY.

Last edited by donnyman; 09-09-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:57 AM
donnyman

I will try again.
It appears my desire to fly has passed me by and the urge to build has grown. it doesn't matter much today it is overcast gray sky and raining, something we haven't had in the past months, my fields were dry and cracking open now I bet they are muddy soup.

The hunnydo's has me busy I have installed a larger hot water heater moved another and the water softener, all function except the new heater which is 240 volts and I will have to install a separate power source to it.
We covered this house with wood panels but failed to seal the backside and overtime it has absorbed moisture so off they come! so much more needs to be done, It is costing a small fortune.

I have been putting Flite metal on my Mustang and it is a tedious task, compound curves is the hard part and requires a slow hand but can yield a very cool looking surface, my bird will have a few wrinkles.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:43 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Donny, our lives seem to follow the same path. From Brooklyn to Texas. Chanute AFB. Working on honey-do’s, building and repairing things. Always working. But I wouldn’t change a thing.

A few days ago, as rain moved closer, I wanted to fly. I got everything loaded to move to my runway. I’ll be darned if rain drops didn’t start falling. Wind was dead calm, just cloudy. I made it back to the shop to unload as the rain started falling heavier. So I worked on my airplane build the rest of the day. So it has been trying to fly. Something always seems to interfere. Haven’t flown in a while. This week will be rainy so I hope to finish this current build.

BTW, last year I drove by Chanute AFB. Down memory lane but I didn’t remember a thing. It is now an airport. I did see the old hangars from the base but that is all. I also got to visit my old base in Indiana. Bunker Hill AFB, later renamed. That was a sad visit. The roads are there, most of the buildings gone. My barracks and the Chapel were still being used. The chow hall is still standing but in disrepair. Just a sad visit. Time moves on.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
PS. It's the Morgan Motor Company which produces the three wheeler. https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/ Morris Motors have been out of production for decades.

Fascinating website that Morgan site! If only I were half my age and three times richer!
Yes! Brain Fart. I meant Morgan and by the time I realized my error, this site wouldn't let me edit it.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by donnyman
Moderator.............

Why was i interrupted by a advertisement from carf models while making a entry....................................... Can i expect to be hit with ads in the middle of a entry?......all my text was wiped out. Intrusive ads will be reacted to by boycot!

I trust it was just a glitch. THIS ENTIRE PAGE SEEMS TO BE DUPLICATED SHORT OF THIS ENTRY.

Do a web search for "Adblock". It's free and does a bang up job of keeping the pop up adds under control. Or for a small fee you can get Adblock Plus. Even better protection. Combine those with E-Set security software and Malwarebytes and nothing will get in your machine. And together they use fewer resources on your machine than Norton or most other well known products.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:26 AM
donnyman

ETpilot

Yes we have been on a parallel path it seems ...what shakes me up is the time frame it has been a very many year since Chanute but it seems like last week or something. that is a reason to do whatever you want to do now or next time you look up your too old and can't.

Have you posted a pic of yourself here? I would like to put a face with your text.

It seems we will have a entire week of rain here so I will take advantage of it to get some build time in to complete what is on the bench I have the urge to build something new. I have several planes in kit form, I like to have all the expensive stuff on hand before starting a new project and I have a bunch of stuff. as soon as I can I will try to sell off all my extra stuff It is too much for one person and I will not be able to consume it.

A thought................. If anyone needs something why not let the rest of us know and maybe save someone a few bucks.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:28 AM
donnyman

Thanks Appowner .......... I am looking into the situation
Old 09-11-2018, 10:27 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

On Thursday last week I drove all the way to Troyes to meet up with my best mate, Marino Pacini and another "garagiste" called Dave Painter. They were entering a Morris Marina in a classic car event up there. We had an expensive evening meal supplemented by champagne, wine and brandy.
I drove back the next day stopping off at Chablis to buy some of their famous wine then had lunch in the village of Selles St Denis. There was a complemenary pitcher of red wine with the meal but as I was driving and still had a long way to go, I ordered a Perrier water. There's a large model shop in the village. It mainly deals with mail order stuff but three couples soon turned up and I bought some glue and balsa wood while I was there, then drove on.

As I entered the vilage of Cluis only about 20 kilometres from my home, I was stopped by the gendarmes. This is the third time that this has happened to me. I suspect that they see a big old van and think, "This bugger must be too poor to pay for a Controlle Technique and insurance!" The entire local force was out. There must have been twelve or fifteen of the buggers there! A gendarme in his late twenties with film star good looks asked me to show him my documents. I showed him my expired British driving licence and hoped that he hadn't studied English at university! Then I explained that a French friend had recommended that I keep my log book and insurance documents at home because if the van was stolen...Film Star finished my sentence by saying, "...the papers would be stolen too." He then said, quite rightly, that it was the law in France that the documents should be carried in the vehicle at all times, "How do I know that this van belongs to you?" I didn't have an answer for that and I thought he was going to book me for not carrying the papers in the van. Keeping my driving licence and going to the rear of the van, he introduced a younger colleague who asked me whether I had drunk any alcohol that day then he produced a breathalyser. I told him that I'd had a couple of drinks the previous night but had not touched a drop all day. I blew into the breathalyser and I was ok! Film Star came back all smiles. One of his dozen colleagues probably had a computer and found out that the vehicle was kosher, besides, in France, you have two little plastic pockets in the windscreen, one for the CT the other for the insurance and both are up to date. I explained that I lived in La Creuse but had driven down from Troyes and had had a Perrier water with my lunch! He wished me "Un bon retour."So I reached home rather tired having driven nearly 500 miles in two days. The detour to the model shop only added 8 miles to the journey, that's not much to an American or Australian but I just can't manage driving these distances these days.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-11-2018 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Ex grammar school boy!
Old 09-12-2018, 04:43 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by donnyman
Thanks Appowner .......... I am looking into the situation
Feel free to PM me with any questions. I did network security for a number of years. I don't know everything but I can hold my own.

BTW, I'm retired AF. Never been to Chanute but spent time at Keesler and Randolph stateside. Eielson in Alaska and half my career in Europe.

Last edited by Appowner; 09-12-2018 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have been thinking again (I know that's dangerous!) with a third round of sanctions agaist China I wonder what affect it is having on the hobby? It's got to be driving the ARF/RTF price through the roof I would think. Any one here see an indication hobby supplies taking a jump recently?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:48 AM
donnyman

He has been thinking, now we know why the smoke and smell of burning hair is in the air.

That guy in the white house is shakeing things up.........again! I can only hope it turns out positive, now we may find out why others have not taken this technique in hand.

The hard nose approach may do some good, I hate to admit it but I may have done the same thing in his position, time will tell. Meanwhile keep a bucket of water handy to put out the fire in your pants we could get a royal -----g.
It is something to consider.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:04 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well historically its the buyer who takes it in the shorts. Look at everything we buy now most of it is made overseas. The great orange one could possibly spur a nasty inflationary cycle. The worst part the two things he won't or can't do is accept responsibility or admit he was ever wrong. In the meantime our pockets get more and more empty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.